56. Guest
57. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - cleaning an old aquarium glass
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

cleaning an old aquarium glass

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supershaji
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:05 pm Post subject: cleaning an old aquarium glass Reply with quote

its  soiled  to  the  extent    that  i  cant  even  see  through  it  with  water  filled  in  it?

i  was  suggested  to  clean  it  with  a  blade,  but  before  i  do  that,  i  thot  i'd  ask  my  mates  on  the  forum...  here's  a  pic  of  how  it  looks..

the  history  behind  it:  i  had  left  it  out  in  da  backyard  with  water  filled  in  it  ...  to  dry,  so  these  marks  come  from  drying  water  apparently.

i  have  also  read  someplace  that  i  could  use  the  floor  cleaning  acid  to  get  rid  of  these  marks.

thanx  in  advance  for  your  replies.

Shaji

Last edited by supershaji on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:14 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Use  Vinegar  to  scrub  the  glass.  This  should  take  out  most  of  the  deposits.
 Rinse  with  water.  
 Thereafter  use  hot  water  &  scrubber.
 Using  a  blade  would  scratch  the  glass.
 After  above  two  steps  very  stubborn  areas  can  be  scraped  with  blade.
 Remember  to  rinse  it  very  well  before  setting  it  up
shishirkamat
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:41 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Shaji,
 Vinegar  should  do  the  job,Use  an  old  credit  card  to  scrape  the  glass...Blade  will  create  scratches  on  the  glass.You  could  use  Lime  paste(Chunna)  ,Apply  it  on  the  glass  and  wipe  it  clean  with  paper  or  cloth.
 with  Regards
 Shishir  Kamat
ravi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:47 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi,

Caution:  Handle  acids  with  due  care.  Make  sure  acids  do  not  come  into  contact  with  skin,  eyes,  etc.  Wear  rubber  gloves  &  eye  protection.

1. Move  tank  to  well  ventilated  place.

2. Wash  tank  in  plain  water  &  drain  water  from  tank.

3. Dip  sponge  in  HCL.

4. Spread  HCL  all  over  the  problem  area.

5. Wait  for  HCL  to  do  it's  job.

6. Wash  tank  in  plain  water  &  drain  water  from  tank.

7. If  glass  is  not  clean,  repeat  from  step  1.

8. When  glass  is  really  clean  &  bright,  wash  tank  well  before  moving  to  it's  location  &  filling  water.

aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:19 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  tell  you  my  exp.
 Before  applying  any  chemicals  -  just  wet  the  glass  and  let  the  calcerous  stains  get  damp  -  take  some  grinded  salt  and  dab  it  on  the  glass  with  a  damp  cloth  so  as  the  salt  is  a  bit  wet  but  does  not  dissolve  in  the  water  -  let  the  damp  glass  get  dry  (the  salt  crystals  should  still  be  there  on  the  glass!)  and  let  it  stay  for  a  day  or  two  -  Now  just  take  a  course  cloth  and  wipe  the  salt  off  the  glass  -  It  should  come  out  along  with  the  calcerous  stains  Thumb Up  
 Hope  this  helps  you!
 If  the  stains  are  more  stubborn  -  the  acid  has  no  other  substitute!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:25 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi,

Adding  to  Ravi’s  advice,

-  Wet  a  handkerchief  or  any  suitable  fine  cloth  (use  minimum  2  -3  folds)  &  wear  it  as  a  mask,  minimizes  the  harmful  fumes  you  inhale.  

-  Let  there  be  some  water  in  the  Aquarium,  about  1”,  so  when  the  HCL  drips  downs,  fumes  are  minimal.  Later  once  the  sides  are  cleaned,  you  can  drain  out  the  water  &  add  diluted  HCL  to  cover  the  base  glass  &  leave  it  standing  for  half  an  hour.

-  Do  not  use  Scotch  Brite  to  clean;  it  has  Al  oxide  that  will  scratch  the  glass.  Moreover,  it  will  disintegrate  &  loose  shape  once  dipped  in  Acid.  

-  Blade  can  be  used,  but  you  have  to  be  careful  in  not  bending  the  edge  &  running  it  over  the  glass,  ALWAYS  keep  complete  edge  over  the  glass  &  â€˜pull’  it  straight  up,  not  diagonally.    Always  use  a  new  blade.  For  best  results  you  can  wedge  the  blade  in  a  piece  of  wood,  very  similar  to  how  a  barber  uses  it!  

Regards,
supershaji
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:11 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

possibilities  are  alive....

looks  good....  

the  stains  sure  looks  stubborn  guys...  

so  the  calcareous  stuff  is  called  lime?  i  figured.

i  shall  try  the  vinegar  as  adviced  by  shishirkamat  &  sandeep  and  if  that  doesnt  work,  i'l  go  with  aquascapes'  advice  and  if  all  fails...  I'l  proceed  to  the  lab  with  Ravi  advices  and  wont  forget  aquadeep's  valuable  tips  either.

hope  that  the  forum  will  soon  have  a  pic  of  the  clean  sparkly  tank.

just  for  a  reconfirmation:  what  is  HCL?  just  another  term  used  fot  the  'tiles  &  toilet  cleaning  acid'?

Last  doubt,  will  the  acid  have  any  bad  effect  on  the  silicon  holding  the  galsses  together?

Thanx

Shaji

Last edited by supershaji on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:33 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

HCL  is  Hydrochloroic  acid,  a  dilute  form  is  used  as  toilet  cleaners.
 Kindly  take  care  HCL  is  very  toxic  and  the  fumes  emitted  are  deadly,  kindly  do  not  inhale  them,  use  a  face  mask  while  working.
 I  am  not  sure  on  its  effect  on  silicon  but  concerntrated  HCL  might  disslove  the  silicone.
 This  when  combined  with  Nitric  acid  form  "Aqua  Regia"  one  of  the  most  corrosive  substances  known.  Is  can  dissolve  even  gold  and  platinum  even  glass  gets  damaged  and  is  used  in  etching  of  glass.
 If  you  want  to  dilute  it  DO  NOT  ADD  WATER  TO  ACID.  IT  WILL  BOIL.  ADD  ACID  TO  WATER
 Check  following  link:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid
   Thumb Up
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:42 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

By  the  way  vinegar  is  also  acid.  It  is  dilute  form  of  acetic  acid.
 So  don't  think  of  drinking  it  Very Happy
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:51 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote:                
I  am  not  sure  on  its  effect  on  silicon  but  concerntrated  HCL  might  disslove  the  silicone.                

HCl  acid  is  not  a  silicone  solvent.  However,  prolonged  contact  with  HCl  acid  can  degrade  its  elastic  properties  (Very  Imp.  factor  for  our  application),  there  by  increasing  the  chances  of  failure.  That's  another  reason  why  I  mentioned  to  have  some  standing  water  in  the  Aquarium,  that's  where  the  Acid  will  stay  for  longer  duration  as  compared  to  the  vertical  joints.  If  you  are  using  strong  HCl  acid,  the  vertical  joints  can  be  rinsed  immediately  after  application.

Even  standing  HCl  acid  gives  away  toxic  fumes.  The  above  activity  'strictly'  to  be  done  outdoors.  

The  fumes  can  corrode  metal,  weaken  Upholstery  /  cloth.
supershaji
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:32 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Here's  how  the  same  tank  (extreme  above)  looks  like  after  i  used  hcl  acid  (toilet/tile  cleaning  acid)  on  the  tank...

mind  you,  use  all  precaution  mentioned  in  the  above  replies  while  using  the  acid!  please  dont  breather  and  use  protective  gloves  while  handling  it!  

good  luck!  it  sure  worked  for  me!  Smile

thanx  guys!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: