65. Guest
66. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,858

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - New tank water for oscars
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

New tank water for oscars

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titash
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:31 pm Post subject: New tank water for oscars Reply with quote

hey  guys,  I've  bought  3  oscars.  I  had  kept  them  in  a  2ft  tank  temp.,  now  I'm  thinking  of  shifting  them  to  my  4ft  tank.  I  am  using  aged  water.  Should  I  release  the  oscars  immideately  in  the  bigger  tank  at  the  moment  I've  finished  filling  water?  Which  type  of  gravel,  decorations,  background  must  be  used  for  my  tank?  Need  help.  Urgent!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
indianhotriff
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:12 am Post subject: Re: New tank water for oscars Reply with quote

take  half  tank  water  from  your  present  one  to  fill  a  quarter  of  the  bigger  one.  Fish  will  not  have  any  drastic  water  parameter  change  and  would  rather  enjoy  the  fresh  water  conditions.  you  can  put  them  straight  away  in  the  tank,  no  problem.
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:44 am Post subject: Re: New tank water for oscars Reply with quote

1.  Read  about  "Cycling  your  Aquarium"  or  "Nitrogen  Cycle"  (in  an  aquarium)  for  exact  references.  The  beneficial  bacteria  don't  live/survive  in  the  water,  they  survive  in  the  media  (sponge)  of  the  biological  filter  (which  can  be  a  submersible  powerfilter  or  a  sponge  filter).  So  from  the  perspective  of  helping  cycle  your  tank  faster,  using  the  water  from  old  tank  is  not  going  to  do  much  good.  Instead  add  a  bunch  of  extra  sponge  filters  in  the  old  tank  and  keep  them  running  for  about  a  week..  Then  move  the  fish,  the  old  water  and  the  filters  to  the  new  tank  and  it  should  not  be  a  problem.  

2.  A  2ft  tank  of  standard  dimensions  is  about  15  gallon.  A  4  ft  tank  is  between  70  to  120  gallons  depending  on  exact  dimensions.  So,  using  ALL  the  water  in  your  2ft  tank  is  still  going  to  be  about  25%  of  the  4  feet  tank..  If  you  are  doing  this  to  keep  similar  water-parameters,  using  ALL  the  water  from  your  2footer  is  your  best  shot...(<-  I  am  not  entirely  sure  if  this  is  necessary  for  Oscars  or  if  it  will  even  do  any  good.)

Good  luck,
 Sid

PS:  It  is  VITAL  that  you  move  the  filter  from  the  old  tank  to  the  4footer  to  have  any  chance  of  jump-starting  the  nitrogen-cycle  in  the  new  tank.  Using  Sponge  filters  as  mentioned  above  will  be  the  safest  (and  fastest)  method.
Titash
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:16 am Post subject: Re: New tank water for oscars Reply with quote

my  2ft  tank  water  is  a  bit  dirty,  what  should  I  do?  Change  it  or  use  the  same  water  only?  BTW  which  type  of  decorations,  gravels,  background  should  I  use?  Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:42 pm Post subject: Re: New tank water for oscars Reply with quote

Use  filter  and  some  water  from  your  old  tank.  it  will  help  in  cycling  faster.
 A  bit  of  dirty  water  in  a  4  ft  tank  will  not  be  an  issue.
 An  oscar  looks  good  with  oscars(only).  Very Happy  
 My  oscar  tank  has  normal  gravel,  plain  background,  any  decorations  will  be  moved,  broken,  and  will  not  last.
 They  are  very  messy  eater  so  don't  go  in  for  very  big  size  gravel  or  you  will  have  problems  in  cleaning  the  tank.
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:55 pm Post subject: Re: New tank water for oscars Reply with quote

I  don't  have  Oscars  in  my  stock.  But,  I  do  have  a  Jaguar  and  a  couple  of  Green  Terrors..(and  several  Malawi  Cichlids).

I  think  all  cichlids  love  to  play  in  the  sand  and  sand  gives  the  tank  a  more  natural  look.  For  decor,  I  would  recommend  going  for  white  sand  (or  black  (Tahitian  Moon)  sand  if  you  can  find  it)  and  some  pieces  of  driftwood  with  a  solid  Black  (or  solid  dark-blue)  background.

Check  out  PremKK's  SA  and  CA  set-ups  for  inspiration.

Direct  links  to  threads:  
 1.  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=19345
 2.  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=19800

Prem's  FTS  from  the  above  threads
 http://lh3.ggpht.com/_p_W8nDH0Rfs/TDtIMcByFvI/AAAAAAAAEf4/elYqUHB7oFU/s800/nwq%20034.jpg
 http://lh5.ggpht.com/_p_W8nDH0Rfs/TCDxD6ZFqyI/AAAAAAAAEaI/XIoKA2oiDKo/s800/nooo%20009.jpg

Regards,
 Sid
Titash
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:31 pm Post subject: Re: New tank water for oscars Reply with quote

thanx  a  ton  to  you,  Sid.  Drinking
Mridul
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:40 am Post subject: Re: New tank water for oscars Reply with quote

As  now  you  have  got  all  the  informations  from  the  experts  wishing  u  all  the  best  for  your  setup.  And  dont  4get  to  upload  the  pics  when  completed.cheers  Thumb Up
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm Post subject: Re: New tank water for oscars Reply with quote

just  to  add  to  what  everyone  has  said.Dont  add  anything  sharp  to  your  tank.Oscars  are  quite  clumsy  and  tend  to  get  hurt..driftwood  rocks  all  should  have  soft  rounded  edges.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Titash
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:41 pm Post subject: Re: New tank water for oscars Reply with quote

thanx  to  all  of  you.  Cheer
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: