192. Guest
193. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,727

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - discus tank accessories
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

discus tank accessories

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackghost
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:57 am Post subject: discus tank accessories Reply with quote

i  have  a  discus  tank  set  up  and  i  plan  to  introduce  a  couple  of  small  discus  very  soon...
 i  wanted  to  know  wot  i  shud  keeep  inside  the  tank  not  only  for  gen  req  but  also  keeping  in  mind  breeding...my  tank  has  a  layer  of  white  pebbles
 do  i  keep  a  few  rocks?ive  read  tat  in  convict  cichlids  tank  a    broken  clay  pot  is  essential  for  breeding  purposes...any  such  req  for  discus  fish?
 also  i  do  not  intend  to  keep  plants...
 plz  advise
 -blackghost
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:17 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Dear  blackghost,
 I'd  suggest  you  to  go  through  some  very  good  threads  in  the  discuss  discus  section  in  the  forums  which  will  be  of  immense  help  to  you  -  also  go  through  the  FAQs.
 your  discus  will  not  breed  till  it  is  an  adult  fish  so  if  you  are  introducing  small  sized  discus  -  breeding  is  not  your  priority  and  not  recommended  for  a  beginner  as-well!
 However,  let  us  know  your  tank  dimensions  for  further  help  -  the  tank  should  preferably  be  'empty'  with  only  a  air  powered  sponge  filter  and  no  substrate  -  more  on  this  when  we  know  the  tank  dimensions
 regards,
 aquascapes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:07 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

BB  are  best  for  growing  discus.    You  could  get  around  half  a  dozen  discus  of  the  same  size  and  age,  wait  till  they  get  to  5+"  which  would  be  around  15  months  and  get  them  to  breed.    Like  convicts  discus  doesn't  breed  in  caves.    So  breeding  cones  or  vertical  pvc  pipes  could  help  as  breeding  medium.    All  you  would  need  is  a  minimum  3  footer  tank,  good  feeding  &  water  changes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blackghost
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:42 pm Post subject: my tank details Reply with quote

hi  thanks...yes  i  do  know  they  wont  breed  until  they  are  adult  fish  but  i  jus  wanted  a  congenial  environment...
 i  have  gone  through  threads  in  the  forum  talking  about  basic  discus  care...but  i  didnt  find  anythign  in  the  FAQ  section  though
 my  tank  is  a  1.5ft  x  1.5  ft  x  2ft  tank  and  yes  i  do  have  an  air  powered  sponge  filter,  a  heater  ,  a  thermometer  and  jus  one  thin  layer  of  bigsized  white  pebbles...is  a  BB  tank  really  that  compulsary??i  dont  think  i  can  remove  the  pebbles  now...i  have  an  aquarium  light  as  well  and  my  tank  is  not  exposed  to  sunlight  at  all
 i  was  apprehensive  of  getting  too  many  discus  at  once...didnt  wanna  risk  it  as  i  havent  kept  discus  before...thought  will  get  experince  first  with  a  pair  n  then  expermient  later...
 are  breeding  cones  avail  at  an  lfs?should  i  keep  a  vertical  pvc  pipe?or  is  that  not  necessary  now?
 thanks  a  lot...but  please  do  help  out  again  Smile
 -blackghost
elaine
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:19 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Your  tank  is  too  small  for  discus  either  change  your  choice  of  fish  or  get  a  bigger  tank
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:44 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

the  problem  in  your  tank  is  that  you  cannot  keep  more  than  a  pair  of  discus...if  you  buy  a  small  pair  one  of  the  discus  is  going  to  start  dominating  the  other  one  and  make  life  miserable  for  it...you  could  keep  one  breeding  pair  of  discus  but  since  you  have  no  experience  keeping  them  dont  try  it  as  they  cost  a  lot...and  yes  one  last  thing  whenever  an  lfs  tries  to  sell  you  a  breeding  pair  dont  believe  him  until  you  yourself  have  seen  it  giving  eggs  and  raising  fry...
 As  elaine  said  your  tank  is  too  small..IMO  a  3  foot  tank  length  wise  should  be  minimum  to  raise  half  a  dozen  discus...and  ya  BB  though  not  necessary  is  always  safer
 Regards
 Hamza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:25 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

BlackGhost!

Your  tank  is  the  perfect  size  for  breeding  discus.

Make  sure  you  have  the  rest  of  the  things  needed.

1)  Very  nice  soft  water.  The  pH  can  be  7  plus,  but  the  hardness  would  have  to  be  low!
 2)  Make  the  tank  bare  bottom,  because  when  the  fries  hatch  and  free  swim,  they  go  to  the  bottom  of  the  tank  at  night.  Thats  how  they  rest.  And  when  you  have  pebbles,  there  are  chances  of  dirt  accumulating  in  the  bottom.  If  your  [discus]  fries  rest  in  the  dirt,  they  will  invariably  develop  gill  problems,  and  other  complications  will  creep  up.
 3)  A  confirmed  breeding  pair.  This  no  one  will  usually  sell  you,  because  they  would  want  to  have  more  discus,  unless  they  have  too  many  discus  breeding  with  them.

If  you  have  these  things,  you  can  surely  breed  discus.  Good  water,  bare  bottom  tank,  heater,  air  driven  sponge  filter  and  a  healthy  par  of  discus  that  are  breeding  well.

Hope  that  helps!
blackghost
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:48 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

i  tried  cleaning  the  tank  today....wasnt  too  diff...as  i  have  jus  one  layer  of  pebbles  and  the  pebbles  are  pretty  big...so  not  too  much  debris  and  excreta  get    stuck  in  the  corners...sucking  them  out  was  pretty  simple...
 so  i  feel  i  neednt  remove  these  pebbles  and  go  for  a  BB  tank...is  that  okay?
 also  ill  make  sure  i  run  a  mechanical  filter  once  in  2-3  days...that  in  my  experience  is  pretty  useful  in  keep  the  water  clean...also  ive  heard  discus  fish  arent  exactly  like  goldfish  wrt  their  excreting  habits.is  that  true?if  so  then  shudnt  be  too  much  of  a  problem  IMO  (these  r  jus  my  views  from  my  7  years  of  gen  fishkeeping  experience  i  hope  am  not  acting  like  an  expert    Sad    )
 am  not  really  thinking  about  breeding  now....want  to  buy  small  or  medium  size  discus  fish  and  just  grow  them  well  first...and  hence  jus  want  the  required  environment  setup...
 also  i  intend  on  buying  and  keeping  only  a  pair...and  not  3  pairs...infact  i  got  this  idea  from  an  uncle  (whos  an  expert  fishkeeper  at  chennai)  who  has  this  lovely  hexagonal  tank  with  discus  in  them...n  obv  the  hexagonal  tank  wasnt  3  feet  long...twas  just  nice  n  tall....
 should  get  the  discus  sometime  this  week...i  hope  its  ok...please  do  lemme  know  if  something  if  still  wrong  with  my  train  of  thought
 also  could  i  know  about  feeding(i  have  already  bought  tetra  bits)?and  will  water  changes  twice  a  week  do?
 -blackghost
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:03 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

if  you  going  in  for  a  small  or  medium  sized  pair  one  is  sure  to  dominate  the  other  and  also  i  would  still  tell  you  to  go  in  for  a  bb  tank  but  thats  your  decision...no  need  to  do  the  power  filter  thing  if  you  keep  up  with  your  water  changes  of  at  least  50  percent  a  day
 Hamza
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:56 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Since  you  have  taken  the  decision  who  can  stop  you  Sad  
 wrt  to  the  power  filter  -  Discus  does  not  like  too  much  turbulance  in  the  tank  so  -  I  would  advise  you  against  it.  You  don't  need  it  anyways  if  you  are  frequently  changing  the  water!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:20 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Having  crystal  clear  water  in  your  tank  doesn't  mean  that  nitrate  levels  are  low.    Growth  will  be  affected  as  nitrate  concentration  goes  up,  hence  daily  WCs  are  called  for.    Discus  aren't  as  messy  as  goldies  but  they  are  messy  to  a  certain  extend.    So  whatever  mechanical  filter  you  keep,  massive  water  changes  become  mandatory  especially  if  you  are  feeding  BHM.
blackghost
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:27 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

ok  madhu  got  uer  point...
 wont  be  feeding  them  BHM  though...only  tetra  bits...
 could  u  plz  elaborate  on  'massive'  water  changes?considering  ill  be  getting  2  small  ones...
 and  feeding?how  often?
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:09 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

maybe  50  percent  twice  a  day?you  cant  put  two  small  discus!!!!!  one  is  going  to  chase  the  other  around!!!put  at  least  3
Yogesh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:59 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Even  for  2  small  size  discus,  I  wont  keep  them  in  a  1.5x1.5x2  ft  tank.  Discus  can  grow  really  huge  if  they  are  given  more  area.  BG  you  said  you  need  to  grow  them  well,  Hmm  with  your  tank  specs  Im  sure  you  gonna  be  disappointed  to  see  their  growth  due  to  tank  size.  

Go  for  min  3  feeter  BB  tank  if  you  really  need  to  grow  KINGS.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:20 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Your  tank  is  enough  for  2-3  discus  even  if  they  get  to  adults.    But  you  can't  expect  both  to  grow  at  the  same  pace.    One  most  probably  won't  grow  to  its  full  potential.    I'd  go  for  a  min  50%  WC  everyday.    Young  discus  need  atleast  5-6  times  feeding.    Once  they  get  to  around  4"  you  can  reduce  feeding  to  4  times.
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: