214. Guest
215. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 860
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 860

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,835

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:51 pm Post subject: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

Hey  guys.I  was  thinking  of  posting  this  topic  for  a  long  time.I  think  it  would  be  great  to  know  one  anothers  mistakes  and  mishaps  of  our  aquariums.
 My  worst  mishap  till  date  was  around  3years  back.I  went  out  for  a  picnic  with  my  friends.In  a  hurry,i  kept  the  heater  in  my  tank  on  (it  was  a  normal  one,not  the  automatic   Sad  )I  came  back  and  found  out  that  all  my  fishes  were  dead   Sad  ,except  for  a  lone  surviver,  a  kuhli  loach.
 Please  feel  free  to  share  any  of  your  worst  tank  mishaps  and  mistakes.
findglitt
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:36 pm Post subject: Mishap - 001 Reply with quote

Happened  to  me  a  month  ago  because  of  heater  failure,  all  juvies  of  palties,  guppy  &  tetras  got  boiled  and  floated.  Shocked  to  see  my  mom  netting  them  out  when  im  back  from  work  in  the  evening!   Sad  

The  survivors  were  Super  strong  black  mollies  and  2  baby  sucker  fishes   Drinking
sawantamey
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:18 pm Post subject: Re: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

to  my  bad  experience  it  was  my  planted  tank
 it  was  summer  season  (may  2009)  and  my  industrial  training  was  going  on  ......very  busy  and  hectic  schedule   Sad  
 early  morning  i  got  up  and  saw  my  living  room  floor  filled  with  water  i  saw  my  planted  tank  water  level  down.  so  di  d  i  make  a  decision  to  take  holiday  and  fix  the  problem.  segregated  all  the  plants,  separated  the  fishes  into  a  plastic  tube.
 emptied  the  tank  all  the  river  sand  got  made  my  water  cloud  .....tired     Sleep  
 wanted  some   Help  so  called  up  the  building  security  guy  ....this  young  chap  help  me  a  lot  .....
 after  checking  the  tank  after  refilling  found  no  leakages   Shocked  ......so  where  did  the  water  come  out  from  ?????  Surprised  
 it  was  the  submersible  power  filter  throwing  the  water  due  to  water  level  going  down  due  to  evaporation  in  hot  sunny  days  ...

got  a  chance  to  rescape  my  tank  after  15days  with  help  of  IAH  member  ashish  kamble  (ashishk)....
kulsdood
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:49 pm Post subject: Re: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

My  tank  leaked  1  year  ago  while  I  was  out  of  home  for  2  days...  I  had  a  very  beautiful  WC  trio  of  Comps  which  Mitra  had  given  to  me  ...  I  still  repent  it  so  much..  not  to  mention  the  mess  in  the  house...   they  were  just  dead  inside  the  aquarium  ...
Deepak267
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:52 pm Post subject: Re: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

In  my  20  your  of  fish  keeping,  i  have  a  long  list..  Just  to  list  few..  

2009  Summner,  UK:  Ammonia  spike  in  tetra  tank  while  i  was  on  a  5  day  holiday.  not  sure  why,  however  i  feed  live  blood  worms  and  on  my  return  after  5  day  found  12  tetras  dead  and  lost  another  5-6  later  in  next  few  days

2005  Bangalore:  while  moving  home,  forgot  to  cover  the  bucket  with  fish  properly  at  the  new  house)  lost  few  red  tail  and  silver  sharks  as  they  jumped  out  of  the  bucket  and  i  was  busy  with  house  move.  

2004  Banaglore:  my  3'  tank  develped  a  leak  on  one  of  the  corner.  did  not  loose  any  fish  but  had  to  take  off  from  work  to  fix  the  tank.

1996  Orissa:  i  had  a  small  pond  at  home  with  lots  of  molley,  platies  zebra  etc.  I  found  a  small  wild  turtle  and  added  to  my  pond.  I  dont  know  how  many,  but  lost  about  40%  fish  in  just  3  days  then  release  the  turtle  back  to  wild.

I  think  these  are  learning...

Deepak
 www.AquariumHomceCare.com
Titash
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

My  worst  experience  had  occured  when  I  had  gone  for  15  days  at  Vizag.  I  had  kept  one  of  our  house  workers  at  home  for  giving  food  to  the  fishes.  My  tank  was  over  crowded,  I  had  2  oranda,3  red  cap,  4  black  moors,  2  iridescent  sharks,  2  black  widow  tetra,  1  molly.  At  the  last  day  at  Vizag,  on  10:00  pm  approx.  I  got  the  extreme  bad  news  that  all  fishes  in  my  tank  were  dead  Sad   Sad   Sad  except  the  2  ID  sharks  and  1  black  skirt  tetra     Shocked  .  At  that  time  I's  feeling  that  I  would  faint.   Shocked  I  was  not  in  a  condition  to  ask  the  reason  for  this  mishappening.  At  that  moment  my  elder  brother  (mridul)  had  given  me  a  lot  of  courage.  Drinking                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Finally  when  I  got  hom,  at  first  sight  I  understood  that  the  house  worker  had  given  the  full  container  of  dry  food.  So  that  he  didn't  had  to  give  food  for  3  days.   Crying or Very sad  At  that  time  my  minq  was  telling  me  to  hit  the  worker  with  a  thick  bamboo  stick.  Guns.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
p_crazy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:56 pm Post subject: Re: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

worst  situation  gotto  be  when  my  4  footer  glass  cracked  and  almost  flooded  the  house  !
   Crying or Very sad     saved  the  fish  though  because  it  was  early  morning  and  i  had  just  awakened.

pradip(kuber  aquarium)  merits  special  thanks  because  he  got  the  exact  same  tank  made  and  delivered  within  24  hrs  of  the  disaster.  Thumb Up
saumya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:03 pm Post subject: Re: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

a  few  years  ago  i  made  my  worst  mistake  (  and  i  have  made  quite  a  few  bloopers  ),  i  was  not  sure  if  royal  farlowella  twigs  needed  a  heater  in  kolkata's  winter,  consequently  i  put  them  in  a  moss  tank  with  real  cold  water  (  yes  i  was  that  dumb  )  and  guess  what,  pretty  soon  they  left  for  the  great  big  aquarium  in  the  sky.

Last edited by saumya on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:26 pm Post subject: Re: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

I  have  had  only  one  MAJOR  mishap  in  my  1  year  in  the  hobby.

I  was  doing  the  weekly  water-changes  to  my  tank.  I  was  in  the  middle  of  refilling  the  Malawi  Cichlid  tank  using  a  pipe/hose  directly  filling  the  tank.

I  got  an  important  over-seas  call  and  spent  the  next  hour  on  the  phone  completely  forgetting  about  the  running  water.

Result:  a  flooded  fish-room  and  5  fish  (4  Mbuna  and  1  Giraffe)  dead  :(

-Sid
tintin1982
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:48 pm Post subject: Re: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

Mine  took  place  around  3  months  back...

I  was  sleeping  at  night  when  there  was  a  knock  on  my  room's  door,  it  was  my  grandmother  who  while  going  to  the  toilet  at  night  found  the  floor  of  the  sitting  room  in  our  house  flooded  with  water.  It  was  nearly  3:30  am  in  the  morning  and  I  ventured  into  the  sitting  room  all  groggy  to  see  my  15  gallon  Betta  tank  cracked!!  Almost  98%  of  the  water  had  ended  up  on  the  floor.  

Very,  very  luckily  my  Betta  fish  was  lying  on  the  substrate,  still  alive!  There  was  a  small  cup  like  decor  in  the  tank  which  had  some  water  left  in  it,  the  Betta  was  quickly  transferred  in  it  and  subsequently  to  another  spare  5  gallon  tank.  What  followed  was  sweeping  all  the  water  from  the  sitting  room  floor  till  the  early  hours  of  the  morning...  boy  was  it  tough!   Crying or Very sad
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:16 am Post subject: Re: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

Couple  of  months  back,  I  was  having  a  bad  cold  and  my  nose  was  blocked.  Was  not  getting  any  smell.  Did  a  water  change  without  knowing  the  lethal  amount  of  chlorine  in  it.  Just  5  min  after  water  change....  45  jumbo  sized  Neons  died.
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:35 am Post subject: Re: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

My  worst  would  be  when  in  2009  my  two  new  heaters  broke  down  twice  in  alternate  months  while  i  was  at  work  and  found  all  my  fishes  boiled  total  loss  of  10  fishes  including  angels  ,fhs  ,convicts,succers  ,silcer  dollars  Sad
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:38 am Post subject: Re: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

M  sorry  to  hear  all  of  your  mishaps.But  i  guess  we  all  are  in  the  learning  phase  and  mistakes  do  happen.The  one  thing  we  should  take  care  of  is  not  repeating  them  in  the  future   Very Happy  
 Keep  your  experiences  coming   Thumb Up
Flemy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:35 am Post subject: Re: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

Well  i  have  two  small  blunders  but  i  was  lucky  not  to  loose  any  fish  in  these.
 1)  few  days  after  i  purchase  my  juvenile  oscars,  some  one  asked  me  to  add  salt  in  the  tank  and  i  did  added  the  salt  but  not  the  rock  salt  but  normal  iodised  salt  and  i  almost  lost  one  of  my  oscar(now  he  is  biggest  in  my  tank)  but  due  to  suggestions  and  directions  from  IAH  member  i  was  able  to  save  my  baby.
 2)this  is  quite  annoying  as  i  was  know  that  what  i  was  doing  is  wrong  but  i  still  continued  it  .
 1  have  added  1  male  VT  betta  in  my  12  gallon  tank  and  then  few  days  later  added  another  male  in  it,  in  the  start  the  first  betta  used  to  bullied  the  second  betta  and  the  second  one  used  to  hide  every  time,  but  on  last  Monday  there  was  major  turn  in  the  event  i  was  surprised  to  see  that  the  second  betta  was  swimming  like  a  king  in  the  tank  and  i  was  not  able  to  trace  the  first  one  but  few  more  time  searching  i  saw  a  tiny  blue  thing  breathing  heavily  and  almost  bald  in  one  of  the  small  pots.  i  laughed  for  a  moment  and  than  took  out  the  king  betta  and  returned  it  to  a  LFS.  hopefully  the  bitten  betta  will  grow  his  fins  back.he  is  still  in  shock  and  not  eating  properly  any  help  will  be  welcomed.

so  these  are  my  two  silly  blundres..  Wall Bang
lovecutefish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:11 pm Post subject: Re: Share Your Worst Aquarium Mishaps Reply with quote

My  worst  mishap  was  about  one  year  back  

Early  morning(5:30am)....when  I  got  up  to  go  somewhere  I  notice  all  floor  wet  and  all  my  goldfish  dead  
 I  shouted  loudly  and  woke  up  my  parents   
 With  help  of  dad  I  filled  a  bucket  and  transfered  all  the  alive  fish(a  few  mollies  and  guppys)
 Later  on  checking  the  setup  completely  I  found  that  the  aeration  pipe  unattached  from  the  pump  and  due  to  air  pressure  70%  of  water  was  out.
 I  lost  9  goldfish,  3  guppys  and  a  molly
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: