57. Guest
58. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,815

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - CITES Regulations regarding Pythons
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

CITES Regulations regarding Pythons
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:58 pm Post subject: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

This  is  related  to  the  other  thread  about  Pythons  which  got  hijacked  by  someone  with  more  time  than  sense.  (I'm  not  referring  to  or  mean  any  disrespect  to  the  moderator  who  locked  that  thread.)

Following  is  some  reference  material  regarding  importing  Python  species.  (All  Indian  species  are  endangered  and  ownership  and  sale  is  prohibited  by  Indian  laws)

Reference  Articles  from  Convention  on  International  Trade  in  Endangered  Species  of  Wild  Fauna  and  Flora  (CITES)

CITES:  Article  IV:  http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/text.shtml#IV

Appendices  (which  mentions  all  but  one  Python  species  are  in  Appendix  2):  http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml

I  am  reading  up  the  related  laws  in  the  Indian  Wildlife  Protection  Act  to  check  more  details.

Cheers,
 Sid

PS:  IAH  is  meant  to  share  knowledge..  Please  don't  make  (empty)  threats  to  people  just  asking  questions.  (Also,  get  a  life!)

PPS:  The  only  reason  I  am  not  using  stronger  language  is  because  my  little  nephew  is  also  an  IAH  member.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:03 am Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

GatorX  wrote  (View  Post):                
Provided  they  are  imported  legally  with  papers                  

other  documents  to  prove  that  it  is  not  an  imported  species..                

Am  confused   Shocked
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:13 am Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

Who  deleted  Gator's  post  right  above  my  response??????   Drinking
GatorX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:15 am Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

Well,  I  was  a  bit  confused  with  the  info  i  had  about  them,  but  did  some  reading  up..  and  its  nearly  impossible  to  get  any  imported  reptiles  in  Legally.

But  from  what  people  have  told  me,  If  its  imported  -  its  legal  to  keep  (provided  it  is  not  included  in  the  Indian  wildlife  act.)

-  (I  deleted  it  by  mistake  and  just  realized  it)

Last edited by GatorX on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:18 am Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

I  would  love  if  you  guys  just  keep  comments  on  this  thread  to  knowledge  and  corresponding  Reference  Materials  for  this  issue

We  have  a  few  wannabe  James  Bonds  on  this  forum..

Thanks,
 Sid
tigermath
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:22 am Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

Is  it  only  reptiles?
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:25 am Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

That  link  (to  Appendices  to  CITES)  is  very  interesting.

Following  are  Appendix  1  species  (which  are  supposed  to  have  the  strictest  restrictions):

*  OSTEOGLOSSIFORMES  (Silver  and  Black  Arowanas)
 *  Scleropages  formosus  (Asian  Arowana)
 *  SILURIFORMES  (Catfish  family)

So  some  of  the  most  commonly  available  "Monster  Fish"  (Silver  Aros  and  some  Catfish)  are  "the  most  restricted"  category  of  species  in  CITES.

Following  are  Appendix  2  (which  are  slightly  less  "restricted"):
 *  Arapaima  gigas

Still  reading..

-Sid
oscar-lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:21 am Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

I  am  just  curious,  why  the  fascination  with  pythons.....?????
kulsdood
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:00 am Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

Hey  Sid,  good  that  you  again  brought  this  up...  I  know  there  are  some  new  members  on  IAH  who  are  trying  to  act  too  smart  and  threatening  other  people  just  because  they  asked  questions...I  guess  Mods  should  put  a  ban  on  those  members..  someone  had  merely  asked  the  question  on  legality  of  keeping  a  thing,  so  if  that  person  wanted  to  educate  he  could  --  but  how  could  he,  because  he  himself  doesnt  know  about  it...  Anyway  I  just  wanted  to  share  my  thought  here,  I  dont  know  anything  regarding  pythons  or  any  reptiles  or  any  laws  around  it  ...  

Have  a  great  season  everybody
Batman
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:27 am Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

if  u  get  permession  from  the  forest  and  wild  life  department  and  u  have  the  right  king  of  enclosure  resembling  a  natural  one,u  can  keep  the  python,  first  go  and  contact  the  forest  department  in  your  local  zoo
   they  may  give  the  permission.

And  also  one  more  thing  ,  the  forest  department  and  the  authorities  have  come  up  with  a  new  plan  for  wild  life  enthusiasts,one  can  adopt  
 any  animal  like  tiger,  elephant  and  also  pythons,  

u  can  pay  them  the  money  ,  they  will  feed  and  take  care   of  the  animal  in  your  name,  if  u  are  really  crazy  for  animals  go  and  do  it  ,  dont  act  like  babies  like  "  mama  i  want  it  in  my  home  with  me  "

Last edited by Batman on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
tejjammy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:27 am Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

Sidrock  wrote  (View  Post):                

Following  are  Appendix  1  species  (which  are  supposed  to  have  the  strictest  restrictions):

So  some  of  the  most  commonly  available  "Monster  Fish"  (Silver  Aros  and  some  Catfish)  are  "the  most  restricted"  category  of  species  in  CITES.

*  Arapaima  gigas

Still  reading..

-Sid                

Hi  sid,
 AFAIK,  wild  Asian  arowanas  are  highly  protected  and  their  Conservation  Status  is  "ENDANGERED"
 The  ones  which  are  in  trade  are  captive  bred  and  are  supposed  to  be  F2  or  higher.  That's  why  the  chip  and  certificate  with  the  imported  arowanas.
 Source:Source.
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:30 am Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

Thanks  Vivek..  (I  don't  get  why  sometimes  they  lock  the  thread  instead  of  just  taking  action  against  the  Hijacker.  Well,  "their  Forum,  their  rules!"  Neutral  )

tejjammy  wrote  (View  Post):                

Sidrock  wrote  (View  Post):                

*  Arapaima  gigas

Still  reading..

-Sid                

Hi  sid,
 AFAIK,  wild  Asian  arowanas  are  highly  protected  and  their  Conservation  Status  is  "ENDANGERED"
 The  ones  which  are  in  trade  are  captive  bred  and  are  supposed  to  be  F2  or  higher.  That's  why  the  chip  and  certificate  with  the  imported  arowanas.
 Source:Source.                

You're  right.  The  point  I  am  trying  to  make  is  that  although  "Asian  Arowanas"  (heck,  even  Silver  Arowanas)  are  in  the  Appendix  1  (with  highest  restrictions)  of  the  primary  International  treaty  on  Endangered  Species,  it  is  not  impossible  to  legally  import  and  own  these  species.

Pythons  (except  1  species)  are  classified  in  Appendix  2  of  CITES  which  have  lesser  restriction  than  those  surrounding  fauna  in  Appendix  1.

oscar-lover  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  am  just  curious,  why  the  fascination  with  pythons.....?????                

Chuckle  It's  right  now  just  that:  a  fascination..  This  began  with  http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296

I  wanted  to  bounce  some  ideas  off  other  people  on  IAH  who  may  have  some  experience  and  knowledge  about  this..  The  original  thread  got  hijacked  by  some  idiot  and  the  mods  locked  it.

tigermath  wrote  (View  Post):                
Is  it  only  reptiles?                

Well,  CITES  covers  everything..  

Thanks  guys,

Sid
Marc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:43 am Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

Sid,

Like  Gator  pointed  out  it  is  very  difficult  to  import.  Even  if  you  succeed,  word  would  go  around  thta  you  own  a  Big  snake  and  the  FD  would  come.  The  problem  is  lower  level  FD  staff  are  not  well  versed  in  the  WP  Act  1972.  For  them  a  big  snake  would  be  a  python  and  python=protected=book  you.

I  have  known  people  who  have  been  picked  up  for  large  sized  Red  eared  sliders  and  had  to  go  through  a  lot  a  hassle  to  prove  their  innocence.  

The  FD  is  very  strict  as  there  is  a  lot  of  illegal  traffic  of  reptiles,  birds  and  mammals  in  India  so  you  cant  blame  them  if  one  or  two  legally  kept  animals  also  get  picked  up.  

Like  batman  suggested  there  are  many  schemes  which  allow  you  to  keep  reptiles  and  even  mammals  with  the  permission  of  the  FD.  You  may  not  be  allowed  to  keep  them  in  your  home  but  you  sure  can  handle  them  and  spend  as  much  time  with  them  as  possible.
duryodhan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:59 pm Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

Well,  I  was  a  bit  confused  with  the  info  i  had  about  them,  but  did  some  reading  up..  and  its  nearly  impossible  to  get  any  imported  reptiles  in  Legally.

But  from  what  people  have  told  me,  If  its  imported  -  its  legal  to  keep  (provided  it  is  not  included  in  the  Indian  wildlife  act.)

-  (I  deleted  it  by  mistake  and  just  realized  it)                

If  you  are  not  sure  then  why  posting  and  showing  your  supremacy.I  remember  a  saying  "  JAck  of  all  ,master  of  none"
 We  also  can  google  as  we  dont  stay  in  china  and  its  not  banned  here  too.

ANd  back  to  the  poster.First  of  all  forest  departments  and  not  fools  .If  pythons  are  banned  then  they  are  banned  for  a  sense  .And  just  keeping  Pythons  and  monster  fishes  dont  makes  you  a  man.May  be  you  just  want  to  show  off.
 Tommorrow  you  would  get  and  would  need  a  tiger  cub  as  pet  and  blame  the  forest  officer  for  not  allowing  to  keep  them  as  pets.
 Why  keep  those  animals  which  are  not  meant  for  pet  purpose.

Please  cut  out  any  personal  attacks  -  Moderator
Marc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:06 pm Post subject: Re: CITES Regulations regarding Pythons Reply with quote

Hey  guys,

The  thread  is  turning  a  bit  sour..........

Lets  keep  it  alive.  Cut  out  personal  attacks
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Chit Chat All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: