85. Guest
86. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,814

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Water Chemistry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butun
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:15 pm Post subject: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

All,  

I  ran  an  Ammonia  &  a  Nitrite  test  in  my  Aquarium.  

Ammonia  ->  0.2  to  0.5  (Was  not  as  bad  as  0.5  but  worse  than  0.2  from  color  check  standpoint)

Nitrite  ->  0.25.

Want  to  know  ,  how  bad  is  the  situation?  What  do  I  need  to  rectify  the  situation?

BTW,  I  had  couple  of  fatalities  in  my  aquarium.

Thanks
 Butun
random2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:28 pm Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

Welcome  to  IAH

Do  a  water  change.  Both  Ammonia  and  Nitrite  need  to  be  zero.

Do  couple  of  frequent  water  changes  than  your  usual  regimen  and  then  test  again.

how  old  is  the  tank  and  what  fishes  do  you  have?  More  details  will  be  helpful  in  correctly  diagnosing  the  problem.
Butun
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:46 pm Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

Deepak,

Thanks  for  the  prompt  response.

Quick  disclaimer,  I  am  a  novice  in  this  hobby  &  made  every  mistake  that  a  newbie  could  potentially  make.

1)  Aquarium  is  little  more  than  a  month.

2)  380*230*420  mm

3)  Fishes:  Gold  Fish,  Angel,  Guppies,  Shark  &  Plebo

All  small  size  except  the  gold  fish  who  have  actually  grown  big  time  since  I  bought  them.

I  know  too  many  fishes,  I  am  changing  water  frequently  though..  to  make  sure  it  is  not  too  contaminated..

Thanks
 Butun
random2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:06 pm Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

Since  you  know  what  mistakes  you  have  made,  its  easier  to  rectify.

You  need  to  reduce  fishes.  Return  back  according  to  what  you  dont  like.

Read  more  on  nitrogen  cycle,  stocking  and  general  maintenance.  Also  read  more  about  the  fishes  you  have  like  -
 How  big  they  will  grow
 What  kind  of  water  is  needed,  compatibility  with  others  etc.

With  the  fishes  you  have,  even  daily  water  changes  wont  suffice.  Take  quick  decisions  to  save  your  fishes.

Hope  you  have  a  good  filter  and  running  it  24/7

All  the  best.
Butun
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:16 pm Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

Hi  Deepak,

Thanks  for  quick  response  again.

Yes,  I  have  a  tickle  down  filter  running  24/7.

I  am  reading  thru  the  topics.

What  is  the  maximum  number  of  fishes  I  can  keep?

After  going  thru  the  messages,  it  looks  like  max  six  small  fishes..

Please  recommend..

Thanks
 Butun
random2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:15 pm Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

From  the  list  of  fishes  you  have  mentioned,  guppies  are  the  only  ones  fit  for  your  tank.

Try  to  give  back  the  rest.  Keep  those  fishes  for  few  months.  Once  you  start  exploring  more  in  terms  of  knowledge,  you  will  try  to  go  for  bigger  tank  for  the  fishes  you  like  or  you  can  get  small  ones  which  can  fit  in  your  present  tank.

Regarding  number  of  fishes,  it  would  depend  on  species.  Always  consider  the  adult  size  while  calculating  stocking.

Please  do  introduce  yourself  and  update  location  information.  Members  will  be  able  to  help  you  better.
Butun
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:51 pm Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

Thanks  will  do  so..
loaches-n-tetras
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:54 am Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

the  number  of  fish  per  tank  depends  on  the  tank  size.   for  fresh  water  fish  the  surface  area  is  important  and  for  marine  set  ups  the  volume  of  water  is  more  important.   

in  your  fresh  water  tank  determine  the  surface  area  in  inches  i.e.  LxD.   divide  this  by  12  (many  books  and  references  also  say  10  but  i  prefer  to  err  on  the  side  of  less  fish  than  more).   this  is  the  total  inches  of  fish  you  may  keep.   when  i  say  inches  of  fish  you  need  to  count  the  adult  length  from  lip  to  the  beginning  of  the  tail  fin.   you  can  find  this  length  from  your  LFS  guys  or  any  ready  reference  on  the  net  for  the  fish  you  are  keeping.   

this  is  only  a  general  rule  of  thumb
Butun
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:18 am Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

Dinesh  /  Deepak,  Thanks  for  the  insights..  I  ended  up  returning  all  my  fishes  except  a  pair  of  guppies  &  a  pair  of  small  platty..

I  also  decided  to  err  on  "less  fish"  side..  

Regards
 Butun
loaches-n-tetras
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:48 am Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

After  having  made  my  share  of  mistakes  (they  are  not  over  yet  -  I  still  have  a  lot  to  learn,  sometimes  the  hard  way  too  ;-)  )  I  have  come  to  the  conclusion  that  decent  dimensions  for  a  tank  at  home  are  as  below.   This  is  considering  that  the  person  has  space  only  for  1  or  maximally  2  tanks  and  is  not  interested  in  maintaining  a  fish  room.

Height  -  24  inches  (max.  especially  if  it  is  planted  since  you  need  to  reach  the  substrate  preferably  with  your  hands)

depth  -  18  inches  (can  be  more  if  you  have  space  but  this  size  can  be  leveled  off  with  most  in  house  furniture  like  Godrej  cupboards,  TV  units,  etc.)

Length  -  depends  on  the  space  you  have,  fish  you  want  to  keep,  and  most  importantly  your  budget.   Longer  the  better  and  also  more  expensive.
loaches-n-tetras
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:52 am Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

OH  yes,  to  deal  with  the  topic  at  hand:   whatever  the  size  of  your  tank  the  cycling  time  is  about  10-15  days  with  fish.   5-6  should  do  the  trick.   avoid  the  feeder  goldfish  as  they  can  carry  diseases  due  to  poor  handling  and  care
Ryel
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:40 pm Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

If  u  can  try  and  make  a  algae  scrubber  for  yourself  it  really  help  in  bringing  the  nitrate/ammonia  and  phosphates  down  in  your  aquarium.
random2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:05 am Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

@Ryel  -  Could  you  elaborate  on  this?

As  far  as  I  know,  algae  is  the  result  of  imbalance  and  not  the  cause.   The  solution  should  be  in  fixing  the  cause.

Got  what  you  meant  by  'algae  scrubber'.  But  Ammonia/nitrite  spikes  are  part  of  cycling  process.  No  filtration  process  can  eliminate  that  from  day  1.  Be  it  algae  scrubber  or  any  other  option.
Ryel
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:41 pm Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

@random2
                        Algae  is  mainly  caused  by  excess  of  algae  eating  nutrients  like  nitrate  and  phosphates  along  with  excess  light  and  not  an  imbalance.  You  are  right  ammonia/nitrite  are  part  of  the  cycling  process  but  it  becomes  even  harder  to  control  them  when  your  water  supply  itself  contains  ammonia  (in  90  %  of  the  cases)  unless  you  are  using  RO/DI  water.  If  not  water  change  will  only  provide  you  relief  for  a  couple  of  days.  The  reason  why  i  said  a  algae  scrubber  is  because  as  mentioned  you  have  high  ammonia  and  nitrite  so  i  am  assuming  your  nitrate  will  also  be  high  in  some  time.  A  algae  scrubber  will  be  external  of  your  main  aquarium  and  will  remove  the  nitrates  effectively  because  you  will  be  providing  algae  a  better  surface  and  light  to  grow  as  opposed  to  growing  in  the  main  tank.  Also  you  can  use  Zeolite,  Kent  Marine  Ammonia  Detox,  KORDON  AMQUEL  PLUS.  There  are  things  in  the  market  that  will  surely  remove  ammonia,  nitrite,  nitrate  but  you  need  to  do  your  own  research  to  know  from  where  to  get  them  from.  The  algae  scrubber  is  them  best  and  cost  effective  thing  to  set  up.

Added  a  link  to  a  picture  of  the  algae  that  grows  similar  on  my  scrubber  and  cleans  up  the  nitrate  and  phosphates  from  the  tank.  This  growth  is  a  plus  though  it  might  look  ugly.  My  ammonia,  nitrite,  nitrate  &  phosphate  parameters  and  well  below  or  even  better  non  exist.  Last  water  change  was  like  20  days  back.

http://www.livingreefs.com/mega-powerful-nitrate-and-phosphate-remover-diy-t16734.html

Regards,

Ryel

Last edited by Ryel on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
random2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:56 pm Post subject: Re: Help on Ammonia & Nitrite read Reply with quote

@Ryel,

ya,  I  read  about  it  after  I  searched  about  the  actual  term.  A  good  DIY  thing  to  try  out  sometime.

One  more  thing  -  I  saw  this  picture  in  another  forum.  If  you  are  the  owner  of  the  attached  image,  its  fine.  But  if  its  someone  elses  snap,  please  remove  it  and  add  a  link  to  the  image.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Water Chemistry All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: