47. Guest
48. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,858

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Red plants = high light ?? I doubt
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Red plants = high light ?? I doubt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Lighting for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquadip2000
Moderator - Sponsor's Forum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:59 am Post subject: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

Am  sure  all  of  us  agree  or  have  been  given  to  understand  that  to  have  bright  red  plants  we  need  bright  lighting.

Now  after  a  while  i  think  this  is  not  true  ,  as  in  my  experience  over  the  past  few  years  i  feel  this  is  wrong  for  some  plants.  See  the  pics  below  the  plant  in  the  middle  of  the  tank  and  the  plant  at  the  extreme  corner.

Below  bright  light

At  the  extreme  corner  of  the  tank

Both  plants  ,are  in  the  same  tank,  same  fertz  and  same  conditions  only  light  reaching  the  plant  is  different  .

Similar  experiences  or  views  ??
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:17 am Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

Nice!!  I  have  also  the  same  experience  with  Rotala  macranda  but  no  photograph  at  present.  Even  the  size  of  leaves  is  also  different.  

High  dose  of  Iron  results  red  tint  in  leaves.  BTW,  which  plant  is  this?
jaws
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:24 am Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

Proserpinaca  palustris.I  too  have  experimented  with  this  plant.It  grows  quite  well  in  medium  light.but  goes  green  in  color.high  light  it  goes  to  red/orange  tint  and  very  high  light  it  turns  copper.But  the  growth  rate  is  not  hampered.it  grows  at  the  same  speed  as  in  the  medium  light  as  it  is  in  high  light.

Very  Beautiful  plant  indeed.

Regards
 Raj..

Last edited by jaws on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:29 am Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

Red  color  is  a  symptom  of  stress.
 Look  for  the  cause.
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:00 am Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

But  why  do  red  lilly  leaves  always  be  red?
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:05 am Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

What  happens  to  red  lily  leaves  when  they  reach  the  water  surface  ?

How  do  you  keep  them  submerged  ?
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:38 am Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

Hi  Madan,

Yes  submerged,  for  some  time,  before  they  hit  the  surface-  still  red.
 At  water  surface(agree  stressed)  red  too-  then  trimmed.
 After  trim-  submerged  leaves.

Than  you.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:49 am Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

Once  a  lily  puts  out  floating  leaves  the  shape  of  the  leaf  changes  and  the  color  is  Green!
 The  edges  may  be  reddish,  but  that's  a  reaction  to  sunlight.

You  keep  it  submerged  and  red  by  cutting  off  the  leaves  as  they  shoot  up  to  the  surface.

Have  you  ever  seen  Floating  "Red"  lily  leaves  in  a  pond  ?  If  you  have,  then  again  it  is  a  sign  of  stress,-  too  much  light  +
 less  nutrients.
Batman
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:00 pm Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

Anthocyanins  protect  leaves  from  damage  in  at  least  two  ways—by  directly  shielding  chloroplasts  from  bright  light  and  by  scavenging  free  radicals.  

Anthocyanins  are  the  cause  of  red  leaves  having  that  pigmentation,this  what  happens  in  mango  and  most  other  tropical  plants,
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:09 pm Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

bat,

Thanks  for  the  info,  are  there  any  aquatic  plants  that  have  permanenet  Anthocyanins  ?

Madan,

No,  dint  see  the  pond  growth  of  the  lilly.  
 But  as  you  say,  isnt  it  different  from  stress,  even  in  lower  lights?  (if  we   say  cutting=  not-stres)

Quote:                
You  keep  it  submerged  and  red  by  cutting  off  the  leaves  as  they  shoot  up  to  the  surface.                

Thank  you.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:22 pm Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

Saikumar  you  have  to  be  observant,  there  are  a  number  of  pictures  posted  by  members  on  IAH  itself,
 the  natural  tendency  of  a  lily  is  the  put  out  floating  leaves,  and  flower.
 When  you  keep  it  submerged  by  cutting  off  floating  leaves,  you  are  stressing  the  plant.
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:27 pm Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

Thanks  a  lot  Madan,
 Understand  your  point  now  Thumb Up  

So  in  a  similar  way,  could  Adip  be  stressing  his  plants  with  excess  iron?
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:49 pm Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

I  don't  know,  you  ask  him  !  It's  the  same  tank  !
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:39 pm Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

Adip,

Please  share  the  secret  with  us.

Thanks  in  advance.
essabee
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:25 pm Post subject: Re: Red plants = high light ?? I doubt Reply with quote

Even  under  medium  light;  some  aquatic  plants  do  get  red  tones  as  they  near  the  surface  of  the  water.  If  we  confine  our  explanation  in  relation  only  to  those  plants,  we  could  get  nearer  to  the  cause.

Lily  leaves  are  not  a  good  example  as  their  submerged  and  emersed  leaves  are  different.  As  would  be  many  other  plants  that  grow  both  submerged  and  emersed  -  I  have  seen  some  such  emersed  leaves  even  hairy  -  the  leaves  that  grown  out  of  water  are  generally  thicker,  tougher  and  have  an  epidermis  which  protects  it  from  loss  of  water.  Any  change  in  the  colouration  of  those  leaves  could  be  totally  different  from  what  causes  the  submerged  plant  change  colour.

I  have  in  the  past  speculated  as  to  the  cause  of  the  plants  showing  different  pigmentation  under  higher  light  -  I  even  posted  one  such  speculative  attempt  under  the  title  "Why  those  additional  pigments?"  here  and  elsewhere.  I  forwarded  the  hypothesis  that  the  plants  are  stressed  by  the  overproduction  of  oxygen  during  photosynthetic  process  and  needed  the  protection  of  extra  pigments  to  slow  down  the  process.  Later  on  rethought,  I  questioned  myself  if  these  were  extra  pigments  or  merely  reduction  of  green  pigments  which  caused  the  secondary  pigments  to  become  visible.

Others  things  remaining  the  same  -  whatever  the  reason  -  light  does  have  an  effect  on  the  plant  colouration.  As  to  the  cause  -  the  jury  is  out  on  that  point.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Lighting for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: