219. Guest
220. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,770

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment (update on Page 2)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment (update on Page 2)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snk_anindya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:00 pm Post subject: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment (update on Page 2) Reply with quote

Hi  guys,

I  used  to  have  a  small  15  gallon  (2  feeter)  tank  for  quite  some  time  now.  
 Recently,  I  decided  to  get  a  little  bigger  tank.  Started  planning  for  a  3  or  4  feeter  and  ended  up  with  a  5  feeter!!   Chuckle  
 Keeping  such  a  huge  tank  is  a  very  new  experience  for  me.  So,  pls  check  out  my  setup  as  of  now  and  provide  more  comments  or  suggestions.

Dimensions:  5  x  1.5  x  2  feet
 Stand:  Iron  stand
 Hood:  Box  type  with  40  watt  (pink  tint)  PLL
 Filter:  Dolphin  C1300  (1000  L/h)
 Substrate:  White  sand  (Probably  silica  sand)

The  glass  was  brought  and  assembled  at  home.
 Added  water  to  tank  to  check  leaks.  Also  added  1Kg  crystal  salt  as  suggested  by  LFS  (for  cleaning  and  disinfecting)

Removed  the  salt  water  and  filled  with  fresh  water.  Added  substrate  and  few  rocks.
 Setup  the  filter.  The  cloth  sack  on  the  right  back  corner  contains  gravel  from  old  tank  to  help  in  cycling  the  tank.

Collecting  stones  near  my  home  and  adding  into  tank.  After  three  days  of  cycling,  added  the  fish.  Since  I  am  using  the  gravel  and  power  filter  from  old  tank,  this  must  be  enough  time  for  cycling.  Excuse  me  for  the  poor  pics.  Still  trying  to  learn   Sad  

Few  shots  of  my  fish.
 Currently  there  are  Blood  parrot  (2),  Gold  sevrum  (2),  Jewel  cichlid  (1),  Tiger  sharks  (2)

Please  provide  your  comments  and  suggestions  for  stocking  /  aquascaping.

Regards,
 Kishore

Last edited by snk_anindya on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
tintin1982
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:09 pm Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

Hello  Kishore,

Congrats  on  your  new  tank   Smile     Thumb Up  

A  few  things  I  thought  I  would  point  out:

1.  Get  a  nice  black  background  to  the  tank  so  the  fish  colors  stand  out  more,  and  the  white  sand  against  the  black  background  will  look  amazing.

2.  For  the  BRP's  you  have  in  your  tank  I  would  add  a  few  clay  pots,  as  BRP's  like  to  hide  in  them.  

3.  Put  a  few  more  larger  rocks  on  the  substrate,  will  make  the  tank  look  nicer  and  also  provide  more  hiding  space  to  the  tank  inhabitants.

Regards,
 Souptik
snk_anindya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:50 am Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

tintin1982  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hello  Kishore,

Congrats  on  your  new  tank   Smile     Thumb Up  

A  few  things  I  thought  I  would  point  out:

1.  Get  a  nice  black  background  to  the  tank  so  the  fish  colors  stand  out  more,  and  the  white  sand  against  the  black  background  will  look  amazing.

2.  For  the  BRP's  you  have  in  your  tank  I  would  add  a  few  clay  pots,  as  BRP's  like  to  hide  in  them.  

3.  Put  a  few  more  larger  rocks  on  the  substrate,  will  make  the  tank  look  nicer  and  also  provide  more  hiding  space  to  the  tank  inhabitants.

Regards,
 Souptik                

Thanks  Souptik..   Very Happy  
 Planning  to  get  some  driftwood,  more  rocks  and  couple  of  clay  pots.  Also  planning  to  add  few  plants.

But,  I  have  some  questions  regarding  the  rocks  and  plants.
 -  Is  it  ok  to  stack  up  the  rocks  to  about  8  -  10  inches?  Will  the  weight  damage  the  glass?  (12  mm  glass  with  a  thin  layer  of  plywood  and  thermocol  under  it)
 -  And  regarding  the  plants.  Can  someone  suggest  some  hardy  and  low  maintanence  plants?
    I'm  thinking  of  putting  few  Anubias  in  the  foreground.  What  others?  Any  hardy  background  plants?

Regards,
 Kishore
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:32 am Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

Nice  start.
 I  doubt  it  if  your  substrate  can  grow  any  plants  except  anubias  or  some  fern  species  which  you  can  tie  them  to  your  driftwood..You  can  try  some  vallisneria  in  the  background  by  placing  them  in  pots  and  hiding  them..
 As  Souptik  pointed  out,you  can  add  a  background  to  increast  the  tank's  appeal..
 Add  more  hiding  spaces  in  the  form  of  rocks  and  driftwodd..
 Regarding  the  fishes,it  is  not  advisable  to  keep  jewels,severums  and  parrots  in  the  same  tank..But  since  your's  is  a  decent  sized  tank,i  guess  the  aggression  would  be  controlled..Keep  a  watch  though..
 I  guess  your  glass  would  be  able  to  take  the  weight..I  had  once  put  a  huge  rock  in  my  2.5  footer.
 You  can  place  rocks  together  and  make  tiny  homes  for  your  cichlids..
 Why  have  you  put  white  silica  as  your  substrate?  It  would  increase  the  ph  and  make  the  water  alkaline..For  the  fishes  your  are  keeping,they  do  not  require  high  ph..But  since  you  are  planning  to  add  some  driftwood,i  guess  the  ph  would  be  in  balance,  as  driftwood's  leach  tannins  which  make  the  water  acidic..
 Best  of  luck   Thumb Up
snk_anindya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:48 am Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

@  Hrishi,
 Thanks  for  the  suggestions.
 I  think  I'll  get  a  black  background  for  it.
 And  regarding  the  fish,  they  seem  to  get  along  well.  But,  quite  abnormally,  one  of  my  severums  has  become  quite  aggressive.  It  keeps  harrassing  the  other  severum  and  BP's  lot  of  time.  Mainly  during  feeding  time.  Earlier  all  the  same  fish  were  in  a  2  feeter  and  were  doing  well.I  dont  understand  why  the  severum  has  become  aggressive  ...   Crying or Very sad  

Also,  I  want   add  a  small  group  of  6  to  8  schooling  fish.  Which  fish  would  be  good?
 Will  Tiger  barbs  do  well?

Regards,
 Kishore
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:51 am Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

Tiger  barbs  are  too  small..Remember  that  in  the  long  run,your  cichlids  would  grow  bigger..
 You  can  go  for  some  medium  sized  tinfoil  barbs..
snk_anindya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:00 am Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

Hmm...  The  idea  is  that  the  Tiger  barbs  are  slightly  more  active  than  the  tin  foils.  Also,  their  striped  body  color  adds  more  color  to  the  setup.  Maybe,  I  can  dispose  the  tiger  barbs  when  the  cichlids  get  bigger??   Shocked  
 But,  is  there  any  aggression  between  the  tiger  barbs  and  cichlids?
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:02 am Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

I  dont  really  know  because  i  havent  kept  them  together  ever..You  can  take  a  chance  and  see  for  yourself..
tintin1982
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:26 am Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

I  have  kept  Tiger  and  Albino  Barbs  with  BRP's  only  and  there  were  no  problems.  They  acted  as  good  dither  fish  for  the  BRP  as  BRP's  are  quite  shy  to  begin  with.  Once  you  put  the  rocks,  driftwood  and  clay  pots  in  the  tank,  the  BRP's  will  be  more  comfortable.  

Should  you  keep  Tiger  Barbs,  keep  more  than  6  and  they  should  do  well,  also  do  keep  an  eye  out  if  they  are  being  harassed  by  the  Cichlids,  I  doubt  it  though,  TB's  can  handle  aggression  well.   Smile
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:34 am Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

hrishi007  wrote  (View  Post):                

Why  have  you  put  white  silica  as  your  substrate?  It  would  increase  the  ph  and  make  the  water  alkaline..For  the  fishes  your  are  keeping,they  do  not  require  high  ph..But  since  you  are  planning  to  add  some  driftwood,i  guess  the  ph  would  be  in  balance,  as  driftwood's  leach  tannins  which  make  the  water  acidic..

Silica  is  totally  inhert  and  will  not  affect  the  water  in  any  way.
 Plants  will  not  survive  with  parrots  or  jewels.
 Both  of  them  love  digging.
 Even  for  a  tank  of  this  size,  you  have  added  too  many  fish  at  same  time,  look  out  for  ammonia  spikes.
 Parrots  are  said  to  be  hybrids  of  severum  and  red  devil,  maybe  your  severum  does  not  like  this  hybrid.  Smile
tintin1982
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:42 am Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

^^  Oh  yes,  BRP's  are  helluva  srtong  diggers.  I  have  one  in  a  30  G  tank  with  river  sand  as  substrate  and  it  keeps  digging  the  substrate  all  day  to  make  low  beds  in  the  substrate  to  rest  on   Smile
snk_anindya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:52 am Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                

hrishi007  wrote  (View  Post):                

Silica  is  totally  inhert  and  will  not  affect  the  water  in  any  way.
 Plants  will  not  survive  with  parrots  or  jewels.
 Both  of  them  love  digging.
 Even  for  a  tank  of  this  size,  you  have  added  too  many  fish  at  same  time,  look  out  for  ammonia  spikes.
 Parrots  are  said  to  be  hybrids  of  severum  and  red  devil,  maybe  your  severum  does  not  like  this  hybrid.  Smile                

But,  the  bigger  severum  is  attacking  the  other  severum  and  sometimes  the  jewel  fish  also.   Sad  
 I  have  read  that  the  severums  are  one  of  the  most  peaceful  cichlids  !!

tintin1982  wrote  (View  Post):                

^^  Oh  yes,  BRP's  are  helluva  srtong  diggers.  I  have  one  in  a  30  G  tank  with  river  sand  as  substrate  and  it  keeps  digging  the  substrate  all  day  to  make  low  beds  in  the  substrate  to  rest  on   Smile

Hmm...  yet  to  decide  on  plants.  May  be  the  plants  will  be  safe  if  they  are  potted.  Or  maybe  I  can  plant  them  in  between  the  rocks.  

But,  earlier  when  I  had  put  my  parrots  in  a  gravel  base  tank,  they  never  used  to  dig  much.  Now  that  the  substrate  is  changed  to  sand,  maybe  they  will  !!

Regards,
 Kishore
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:20 am Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

The  term  "Peaceful  cichild"  is  a  oxymoron  in  itself.  Very Happy  
 All  cichlids  like  to  claim  their  terrotiries  and  often  that  is  a  cause  of  their  aggression.
 When  you  changed  the  tank,  the  boundaries  are  being  redefined  and  aggression  will  continue  for  some  time.
rkkaran
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:02 pm Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

Nice  setup  Kishore!  Looks  very  neat  and  definitely  very  professionally  done..:-)

If  you  got  some  free  time,  pls  PM  me  the  details  on  the  cost  for  glass,  stand,  labour,  etc.  as  I  am  setting  up  something  similar  very  soon..

Thanks,
 Karan
snk_anindya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:24 pm Post subject: Re: New 5 feet setup.. Pls comment Reply with quote

Thanks  Karan..  
 Still  long  way  to  go!!   Very Happy  

Check  your  PM
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: