164. Guest
165. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,745

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - White spots on flowerhorn
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

White spots on flowerhorn
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishnchips
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:14 pm Post subject: White spots on flowerhorn Reply with quote

Hi  everyone

Am  a  newbie  to  this  forum.Hope  to  gain  as  much  info  as  possible  about  the  hobby  from  fellow  aquarists  in  India  as  the  water  conditions  and  availability  of  aquarium  stuff  differ  from  country  to  country  and  its  really  nice  to  see  an  indian  site  too    Smile  

Coming  to  my  query,I  have  a  6"  flower  horn  which  i  bought  from  a  shop  in  Bangalore  a  few  days  back.Recently  white  spots  have  appeared  all  over  the  fish.I  have  a  heater  in  the  tank  maintaining  30  degrees  celsius.The  spots  dont  seem  to  go  inspite  of  this.What  else  can  i  do  to  get  rid  of  these  spots?

thanks  in  advance
s_padale
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:37 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Is  it  grainy?  Like  white  grains  on  the  skin  of  the  fish?  If  it  is.    Then  it  could  be  ich.  There  are  ich  remedies  available  in  local  LFS.
fishnchips
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:34 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi
 Yes,there  are  lots  of  tiny  white  grains  on  the  body  of  the  fish.Is  buying  something  from  the  lfs  sufficient?Or  is  there  any  other  precaution  to  be  taken?Is  this  something  to  be  worried  about  ?
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:27 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Fish&chips  -  nice  appetising  name!  Chuckle  
 What  is  your  normal  water  temp.  without  the  heater  and  what  is  the  tank  size  (dimensions)
 you  can  add  some  rock  salt  (quantity  varies  according  to  your  tank  size)  and  m.blue  (the  blue  coloured  dye  you  get  at  any  lfs)
 increase  in  temp.  means  the  protozoa  you  are  fighting  with  starts  to  multiply  faster  -  so  if  you  use  a  heater  use  the  above  mentioned  treatment  to  kill  the  protozoa  in  the  free  swimming  stage!  Administer  a  partial  water  change  before  starting  the  treatment  -  and  don't  overdose.
 Hope  this  helps,
 aquascapes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fishnchips
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:53 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  aqua,

Thanks  for  the  reply.I  was  pretty  worried  about  the  fish's  condition,it  has  been  the  same  inspite  of  a  temparature  increase  for  the  past  2  days.The  condition  of  the  flower  horn  had  made  me  pretty  nervous  and  i  have  paid  quite  l  lot  for  the  fsih  too.Hope  he  gets  set  in  the  tank.hes  been  with  me  only  for  a  week  or  so  nowI  have  added  methylene  blue  and  rock  salt  after  a  50%  water  change.I  have  maintained  30  degrees  celcius.My  room  temperature  is  about  27  degrees.I  have  him  in  a  2  feet  tank  as  of  now.

The  fish  remains  weak  and  moves  very  less  and  its  fins  and  tails  are  in  an  enclosed  position.It  has  wrapped  them  close  to  the  body.Is  this  normal  and  how  long  will  it  usually  take  them  to  recover?Do  i  need  to  make  these  water  changes  and  addition  of  methylene  blue  on  daily  basis  and  do  i  feed  the  fish?

thanks  a  lot    Smile
fishnchips
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:04 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi

Should  i  move  the  fish  into  a  quarantine  tank  or  is  it  okay  to  leave  it  in  the  main  tank  itself?I  have  him  in  the  main  tank  now  with  a  divider  placed.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:31 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

hi,  F&C
 what  other  fish  do  you  have  in  the  main  tank?
 are  they  also  infected?
 It  is  quite  possible  that  the  other  fish  in  your  main  tank  might  just  have  picked  up  something  from  the  FH.
 If  you  shift  it  to  a  hospital  tank  -    Thumb Up  
 but,  don't  forget  to  treat  the  main  tank  as  well!
 the  correct  treatment  for  Ich  is  to  change  50%  of  the  water  -  every  day
 with  the  dose  of  medication  and  salt  -  if  it  is  only  the  white  spot  infestation  the  fish  should  look  good  after  about  2-3  days  -  but  if  it  is  a  bacterial  infection  clubed  with  the  Ich  infestation  -  The  bacteria  should  be  treated  first  -  If  it  is  an  expensive  fish  you  have  -  I'd  suggest  you  to  shift  it  to  a  hospital  tank  and  treat  it  with  water  life's  'MYXAZIN'  -  it  is  a  wonder  medication  which  has  saved  many  fish  lives  for  me!
 hope  this  helps,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pandian
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:31 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

no  keep  the  fish  in  main  tank  and  treat  the  whole  tank.....  this  is  the  best  solution  for  ich......

keep  the  lights  off  to  better  the  fish  s  condition.......

blue  medicine  &  salt  will  do  well  to  treat  ich  of  fish..........

if  nothiong  happen  as  a  result  of  the  treat  ment,  do  lot  of  water  change.....  to  slow  down  the  disease  spreading......

but  i  am  not  aware  of  the  temprature  change  it  might  cause....  because  i  have  never  maintained  a  heater  added  tank.....  any  way  other  experts  will  through  further  light  on  how  to  solve  this    problem......

imprve  the  water  condition.....  

many  disease  disappear  if  the  quality  of  the  water  iis  improved.....
fishnchips
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:00 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hey  everyone

Thanks  aqua  and  pandian  for  the  replies.Bangalore  aquarists.....Where  can  i  find  this  product  that  aquascapes  has  mentioned???water  life's  'MYXAZIN.

thanks  a  lot
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:43 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi
 Ich  infection  cannot  be  treated  at  the  stage  when  it  is  still  on  the  body  of  the  fish.  The  parasite  is  killed  when  it  leaves  body  of  fish  and  swims  free  in  the  tank.  it  is  at  this  stage  that  methylene  blue  etc.  can  kill  it.
 When  temp  is  increased  the  parasite  multplies  very  quickly  and  becomes  free  swimming.
 Thus  increase  in  temp,  alongwith  salt  &  methylene  blue  can  cure  itch.
 As  suggested  earlier  whole  tank  has  to  be  treated.
 Many  times  it  is  advised  that  one  week  of  treatment  os  required  to  completly  elimnate  all  signs  of  ich.
 Meth  blue  gets  inffective  in  strong  lights,  kindly  shut  of  the  lights.  It  will  also  make  your  fish  feel  safe.
 You  can  completly  cure  ick  by  methods  given  above.  Maintain  some  salt  in  the  tank.
 In  future  always  quarantine  your  new  fish.  If  you  do  not  have  a  spare  tank,  do  it  in  a  celan  plastic  bucket.  It  will  save  your  exsisting  livestock.
 By  the  way  a  2ft  tank  seems  small  for  a  FH.  What  are  the  other  dimensions  of  the  tank
fishnchips
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:53 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  sandeep

I  have  maintained  30  degree  for  now.Is  that  sufficient  or  do  i  increase  it  a  little  more?its  a  2  by  15"  by  15"  tank  with  2  flower  horns  and  a  divider.This  does  happen  to  be  my  spare  tank  where  i  plan  to  keep  them  for  a  2-3  weeks  before  transferring  them  both  to  2.5*18*18  feeters  each.I  have  just  now  done  a  50%  water  change  and  added  some  methyl  blue  along  with  a  handful  of  rock  salt.I  have  removed  the  other  flower  horn  which  seemed  to  be  healthy  from  this  tank  as  of  now.Anything  else  that  i  need  to  keep  in  my  mind?Is  it  normal  for  the  fish  to  stay  inactive  when  it  is  infected  with  Ich?
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:59 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

fishnchips  wrote:                
Hi  sandeep

I  have  maintained  30  degree  for  now.Is  that  sufficient  or  do  i  increase  it  a  little  more?its  a  2  by  15"  by  15"  tank  with  2  flower  horns  and  a  divider.This  does  happen  to  be  my  spare  tank  where  i  plan  to  keep  them  for  a  2-3  weeks  before  transferring  them  both  to  2.5*18*18  feeters  each.I  have  just  now  done  a  50%  water  change  and  added  some  methyl  blue  along  with  a  handful  of  rock  salt.I  have  removed  the  other  flower  horn  which  seemed  to  be  healthy  from  this  tank  as  of  now.Anything  else  that  i  need  to  keep  in  my  mind?Is  it  normal  for  the  fish  to  stay  inactive  when  it  is  infected  with  Ich?                

Hi
 A  new  fish  will  always  be  shy  &  withdrawn  in  an  new  tank.  As  it  gets  used  to  its  new  surroundings  it  will  gradually  start  to  feel  normal.
 As  of  now  it  seems  okay,  feed  lightly,  ask  your  LFS  guy  what  was  it  feeding,  give  the  same  food.
 Maintain  temp.  the  water  would  have  turned  blue  with  meth.  blue,  put  out  the  lights.  After  24  hrs  change  some  water  not  50%  around  20-25%  add  some  more  methylene  blue.
 Keep  this  treatment  for  a  a  week  and  all  will  be  fine  after  a  week.
 Keep  a  watch  for  other  fishes,ICK  is  very  infectious  and  it  is  always  recommended  to  treat  the  whole  tank.  read  following  links  for  more  details  
 http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwich.htm
fishnchips
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:39 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  guys

Am  into  the  third  day  of  adding  methyl  blue  with  rock  salt    and  water  changes.There  seems  to  be  improvement.The  spots  on  the  fish  have  substantially  reduced.A  see  very  few  spots  on  the  fish  as  of  now  but  the  fish  remains  inactive  and  weak.Its  always  on  the  tank  bottom  resting  itself  to  the  glass  sides.Hopefully  things  get  better  in  the  next  few  days.Thank  you  so  much  for  the  advice  everyone.Its  been  really  helpful  so  far    Smile
fishnchips
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:44 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Guys  is  there  any  thumb  rule  to  the  amount  of    salt  i  add  ?
arupch
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:53 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

yes.  a  teaspoonful  for  a  gallon  or  5  litre  of  water.  also  use  Methylene  blue  mfd.  by  Rid-All.  the  other  ones  available  in  LFS  are  scrap.  also  be  sure  u  buy  an  original  Rid-All  meth  blue  as  spurious  Rid  All  products  are  available  in  market.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: