109. Guest
110. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,825

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - 12mm glass expands in the middle part of the tank 7.5 feel l
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

12mm glass expands in the middle part of the tank 7.5 feel l

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamir
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:58 am Post subject: 12mm glass expands in the middle part of the tank 7.5 feel l Reply with quote

I  am  rebuilding  a  7.5  feet  long,  2  feet  tall,  1.5  feet  width  using  12mm  glass.
 5  support  in  the  bottom  and  5  on  the  top.  When  i  pour  water  into  the  tank  (leaving  around  3  inches)  the  top  center  support  keeps  coming  off.  I  was  told  that  the  center  part  of  the  tank  expanded  by  12mm  thats  why  it  fell  down.  When  i  emptied  the  whole  tank  the  center  part  comes  back  to  normal.  

Please  let  me  know  how  and  when  i  should  silicon  the  top  center  support.  Please  help.  Thanks
essabee
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:38 am Post subject: Re: 12mm glass expands in the middle part of the tank 7.5 fe Reply with quote

That  is  not  expansion,  your  glass  is  bulging  under  pressure;  the  center  curves  out  from  straight.

Redesign  the  braces.  2  strips  of  glass  -  the  first  2  inches  wide  (and  as  thick  as  you  can  get)  siliconed  all  along  the  inner  rim  of  long  wall  -  the  second  wider  to  cover  the  edge  of  the  tank's  outer  glass  and  completely  laminating  with  the  inner  brace  is  then  siliconed  to  the  top  edge  of  the  long  tank  side  and  the  inner  brace.

The  continuous  attachment  will  hold  if  you  do  it  properly.  Been  there  and  done  it.

Titash
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:20 am Post subject: Re: 12mm glass expands in the middle part of the tank 7.5 fe Reply with quote

I  had  suffered  exactly  the  same  problem  when  I  had  built  my  first  4  feeter.  But  after  that  I  googled  and  found  that,  glass  Supports  had  to  be  given  at  both  top  and  bottom.

My  Tank  was  made  of  8mm  glass  so  when  I  mentioned  it  I  found  that  the  support  along  the  length  of  the  tank  should  be  of  8mm  and  the  glass  support  along  the  breadth  of  the  tank  should  be  of  12mm.

Hope  this  helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:39 am Post subject: Re: 12mm glass expands in the middle part of the tank 7.5 fe Reply with quote

Two  bracings  perpendicular  to  the  front  glass  will  help  a  lot...
jamir
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:31 pm Post subject: Re: 12mm glass expands in the middle part of the tank 7.5 fe Reply with quote

Thanks  for  all  your  suggestions  and  ideas.  I  too  have  supports  both  at  the  bottom  of  the  tank  (5  of  them  around  3-4  inches  wide)  and  2  each  on  top  left  and  top  right.  

My  problem  is  with  the  center  braces/support  which  comes  off  after  i  fill  it  up  with  water.  I  don't  want  the  support  to  fall  and  break  the  main  bottom  glass.  So  this  time  we  are  planning  on  filling  it  up  with  water  first  and  then  silicone  the  top  center  braces/support  (12  inches  wide  this  time  and  we  will  use  a  little  longer  glass  12mm  longer  on  top  of  18  inches)

The  person  who  made  the  tank  guaranteed  that  this  time  it  will  not  break  even  without  the  braces/support  in  the  top  middle  part  of  the  tank  where  it  is  bulging  by  12mm.  My  first  7.5  feet  tank  blasted  from  the  center  as  it  was  also  made  of  8mm  glass.  

I  just  want  to  make  sure  i  am  doing  it  right.
essabee
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:57 pm Post subject: Re: 12mm glass expands in the middle part of the tank 7.5 fe Reply with quote

Will  await  your  next  feedback  with  bated  breath.   

Meanwhile  I  will  make  a  prayer  that  no  one  gets  hurt.
jamir
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:13 pm Post subject: Re: 12mm glass expands in the middle part of the tank 7.5 fe Reply with quote

essabee  wrote  (View  Post):                
Will  await  your  next  feedback  with  bated  breath.   

Meanwhile  I  will  make  a  prayer  that  no  one  gets  hurt.                

Thanks  but  actually  I  am  seeking  suggestions  and  advises  from  experienced  large  tank  builders.  My  plan  does  not  mean  i  am  going  to  do  it  that  way.  

I  read  somewhere  that  glass  bowing  resistance  is  half  its  size  which  means  12mm  can  tolerate  only  6mm  bowing.  Whereas  in  my  case  its  bowing  12mm  on  a  12mm  tank  in  the  center.
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:01 pm Post subject: Re: 12mm glass expands in the middle part of the tank 7.5 fe Reply with quote

Hi  Jamir,

if  you  fill  the  water  first  and  then  add  the  braces  that  are  longer,  the  glass  still  has  a  bulge  of  over  12mm  as  suggested  by  you.  So  its  really  not  solving  your  purpose.  What  you  need  is  a  brace  that  will  give  you  added  strength  so  that  the  glass  does  not  bulge.

There  are  multiple  ways  that  can  be  achieved,  One  is  as  Essabee  suggested  the  dual  glass  brace  method,  the  other  is  to  put  the  braces  within  the  tank  horizontally  and  then  supported  on  top  through  the  length  of  the  aquarium  with  vertical  braces.

Then  you  can  also  use  aluminium  bracings  across  the  top  of  the  tank.  Has  been  used  by  many  for  years  and  years.

Warm  Regards
 Nirav  Shah
 www.indiapetstore.com
Kaya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:19 pm Post subject: Re: 12mm glass expands in the middle part of the tank 7.5 fe Reply with quote

Jamir,  hi..  what  brand  of  silicone  are  you  using?  like  some  other  suggestion  the  best  option  is  to  go  for  perpendicular  braces  on  top..  and  multiple  braces..  say  4  braces..  one  at  each  end  and  another  two  in  the  center..  i  read  this  page  long  back..  hope  this  helps..

http://www.austinglass.com.au/aquariums.html
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: