203. Guest
204. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,890

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - starting new marine tank advise needed
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

starting new marine tank advise needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:11 am Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

GatorX  wrote  (View  Post):                
Regarding  your  filtration..

Remove  all  the  sponges,  foam  and  filter  floss  and  bio  balls...

What  media  is  in  the  bags  ?  

Replace  the  above  with  a  few  pieces  of  rocks...                

it  has  activated  carbon  and  for  rock  can  i  use  lava  rock  ?
GatorX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:19 am Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

Carbon  is  ok,  might  leech  phosphates  in  your  water..

And  no  Lava  rocks..

Try  and  get  some  more  man  made  live  rocks...
ks
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:14 pm Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

Have  u  changed  the  scaping??  The  scaping  in  the  first  page  looks  really  good  and  ideal  to  place  corals.  In  second  page  you  have  added  few  more  rocks  i  believe.  

If  you  are  planning  for  reef  set  up  remove  all  those  bio  balls,  cermaic  rings  &  sponge  pads.  They  are  nitrate  factories  .  Your  skimmer  and  live  rocks  are  the  workhorses  for  filtration.  Remember  that.  

Leave  your  tank  idle  without  adding  any  speed  up  bacteria  cycling...$$$$$  or  prawns  or  any  other  product  which  claims  so  ###.  Have  patience.  during  this  45  day  cycle  spend  time  on  fine  tuning  your  scaping,  flow  rates  in  your  tank,  PAR  /  lighting  requirements,  compatibility  of  fishes  &  corals,  chilling  requirements...etc  rather  than  experimenting.  

Regarding  lighting,  go  with  HO's  which  suit  your  budget  initially  and  then  try  out  with  MH's  or  LED's  depending  upon  what  you  need  to  stock  in  the  DT.  

I  am  sure  you  would  have  spent  a  bit  until  now  and  your  spends  are  only  going  to  increase  in  due  course  of  time.  Plan  your  spends  and  read  a  lot.  Your  tank  has  good  potential  in  the  making  and  keep  up  the  good  work.  Thumb Up  

KS
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:08 pm Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

ks  wrote  (View  Post):                
Have  u  changed  the  scaping??  The  scaping  in  the  first  page  looks  really  good  and  ideal  to  place  corals.  In  second  page  you  have  added  few  more  rocks  i  believe.  

If  you  are  planning  for  reef  set  up  remove  all  those  bio  balls,  cermaic  rings  &  sponge  pads.  They  are  nitrate  factories  .  Your  skimmer  and  live  rocks  are  the  workhorses  for  filtration.  Remember  that.  

Leave  your  tank  idle  without  adding  any  speed  up  bacteria  cycling...$$$$$  or  prawns  or  any  other  product  which  claims  so  ###.  Have  patience.  during  this  45  day  cycle  spend  time  on  fine  tuning  your  scaping,  flow  rates  in  your  tank,  PAR  /  lighting  requirements,  compatibility  of  fishes  &  corals,  chilling  requirements...etc  rather  than  experimenting.  

Regarding  lighting,  go  with  HO's  which  suit  your  budget  initially  and  then  try  out  with  MH's  or  LED's  depending  upon  what  you  need  to  stock  in  the  DT.  

I  am  sure  you  would  have  spent  a  bit  until  now  and  your  spends  are  only  going  to  increase  in  due  course  of  time.  Plan  your  spends  and  read  a  lot.  Your  tank  has  good  potential  in  the  making  and  keep  up  the  good  work.  Thumb Up  

KS                

yes  added  few  rock  to  make  it  more  stable  

and  comeing  to  cycle  i  dont  have  any  live  rock  all  are  man  made  rock,so  how  ammonia  will  be  there  to  start  cycle  ?

Most  online  source  told  that  we  need  live  rock  or  some  rock  which  already  there  in  old  tank  or  live  sand  or  dead  matter  like  prawn

as  i  dont  have  any  other  stuff  like  live  rock  or  live  sand  will  still  cycle  start  ?

and  first  iam  going  to  keep  this  tank  only  pair  of  clown  fish,as  soon  i  get  more  idea  and  experice  i  will  move  to  other  level

btw  marine  hobby  developed  me  lot  of  patients  Smile
gremlin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:39 pm Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

so  how  ammonia  will  be  there  to  start  cycle  ?  

Thats  why  you  add  some  waste  to  start  cycle.  People  use  to  use  some  hardy  fish  like  damsel  to  start  the  cycle,  but   its  cruel  for  the  fish  and  the  damsel  will  become  PITA.  So  the  a  piece  of  shrimp  should  start  the  cycle.

Like  everyone  said,  remove  all  those  sponges  and  rings,  they  will  only  increase  your  nitrates  and  phospates.  You  don't  have  to  run  carbon  all  the  time.  People  run  carbon  to  remove  any  toxic  stuff  and  to  clear  the  water.  I  wouldn't  run  carbon  all  the  time,  may  be  5  days  a  month.
arlenpalmer
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:23 pm Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

First,  you  must  be  the  largest  tank,  you  can  afford,  although  there  is  a  large,  you  should  do  to  the  real  limit.  In  order  to  have  the  best  opportunity  to  succeed,  and  with  four  feet  long  in  the  range  of  75-120  gallons  of  fish  vest  a  wide  variety  of  rods.  In  this  range  will  give  you  a  good  salt  water  aquarium  tanks  will  not  be  stable  because  a  small  tank  severe  chemical  or  temperature  fluctuations.  These  fluctuations  can  stress  out  the  fish,  causing  illness  or  death.
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:10 am Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

cycle  finished  :)

after  adding  prawn  

in  48hrs  it  went  too  sky  high

after  6  days  ammonia  level  has  been  0

after  that  i  seen  big  range  of  NO2(Nitrite)  test  showed  pink  colour  2  days  before  it  has  been  0

but  Nitrate  shows  some  amount  i  think  it  wont  be  issue  btw  i  tested  with  JBL  for  fresh  water  do  i  need  marine  test  kit  or  both  will  be  same?

battle  bactreria  soln  given  good  result

sample  water  also  sended  to  chennai  for  test  all  ok  expect  Salinity  it  has  been  1.30

how  to  lower  the  Salinity  ?  can  i  make  some  water  change?

still  not  haveing  idea  for  fish  like  to  wait  another  15-20  days
GatorX

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:42 am Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

Remove  some  water  and  add  freshwater  without  salt..

And  do  a  water  change  few  days  before  you  add  any  fish...  I  suggest  you  start  with  a  pair  of  clowns..
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:55 am Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

GatorX  wrote  (View  Post):                
Remove  some  water  and  add  freshwater  without  salt..

And  do  a  water  change  few  days  before  you  add  any  fish...  I  suggest  you  start  with  a  pair  of  clowns..                

what  type  of  clown  fish  will  be  hard  and  can  go  with  out  sea-anemons?
DISCUSLOVER
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:23 am Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

hey  go  with  bubble  tip  anemone  they  require  less  light  3  watt  gallon  will  do  if  going  for  carpet  go  for  green  not  for  white  andbrown  green  are  easy  to  maintain.
 add  6500k  for  growth  because  its  full  spectrum  mid  day  sun  and  go  for  pll  36  or  55w.i  have  personal  experience,  i  went  to  lakshdeep  their  is  marine  centre  in  agatti  and  their  they  have  almost  10  to  15  bubble  tip  anemone  and  lighting  was  just  6500k  36w  tubes.that  centre  used  them  for  clown  breeding.
simanta
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:42 am Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

yajur  wrote  (View  Post):                

what  type  of  clown  fish  will  be  hard  and  can  go  with  out  sea-anemons?                

All  clowns  will  be  happy  without  any  anemone.  They  will  find  a  rock  crevice  to  use  as  shelter.
 Try  and  get  a  damsel  before  adding  any  clown  pair.
 Also  when  buying  the  clowns  don't  go  for  the  largest  two  you  see,  get  one  big  and  the  other  slightly  smaller.
Gulls
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:46 pm Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

too  soon  for  anemones...
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:49 pm Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

Gulls  wrote  (View  Post):                
too  soon  for  anemones...                

i  dont  have  any  idea  on  anemones  until  year  Smile  just  looking  to  buy  come  clown  fish
GatorX

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:50 am Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

DISCUSLOVER  wrote  (View  Post):                
hey  go  with  bubble  tip  anemone  they  require  less  light  3  watt  gallon  will  do  if  going  for  carpet  go  for  green  not  for  white  andbrown  green  are  easy  to  maintain.
 add  6500k  for  growth  because  its  full  spectrum  mid  day  sun  and  go  for  pll  36  or  55w.i  have  personal  experience,  i  went  to  lakshdeep  their  is  marine  centre  in  agatti  and  their  they  have  almost  10  to  15  bubble  tip  anemone  and  lighting  was  just  6500k  36w  tubes.that  centre  used  them  for  clown  breeding.                

Please  don't  give  wrong  advice...

I  have  kept  them,  the  they  need  more  than  "  3  watt  gallon  "

Anyways,

Getting  back  to  the  topic,  You  may  start  out  with  sebae  clownfish,  they  are  cheap  and  hardy..
 If  you  do  go  in  for  one,  do  some  research  on  the  fish,  and  acclimatization.

There  is  no  need  for  an  anemone,  but  you  can  add  one  later  on..  

I  would  avoid  damsels  as  they  become  very  aggressive  over  time,  and  are  not  the  easiest  fish  to  remove..
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:30 pm Post subject: Re: starting new marine tank advise needed Reply with quote

iam  very  thanks  full  for  GatorX  and  for  all  other  people  who  helped  me  in  this  setup

still  i  have  not  added  any  fish  before  that  iam  trying  to  make  quartine  tank  55G  main  tank  is  150G

so  what  are  the  instrument  i  need  to  have  in  that  quartine  tank  ?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: