206. Guest
207. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,836

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anoopc
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:15 pm Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

Thnks  for  the  kind  words  and  advice,  folks.  

Bhaskar:  i  feed  JBL  Novo  Bits,  Tetra  Bits  complete,  Petsfamily  Micropellets,  Ocean  free  SuperBits  and  Tayo  flakes-  the  JBL  Novobits  are  a  constant,  and  i  also  put  the  Tetrabits  daily-  others  are  alternate.Fedng  is  coupl  eof  times  in  the  morning  with  a  2  hour  interval  and  same  in  the  evening/night.  Holidays,  i  feed  them  4-5  times.   Another  constant  is  freeze  dried  Bloodworms  (daily  once).  This  is  just  a  routine  i  follow  cause  so  far  no  harm  was  caused  due  to  it-  there  is  no  expert  advice  or  scientific  basis  i  follow  in  this.   If  anthing  is  wrong/can  be  improved,  comments  would  be  greatly  appreciated.

Karan-  dont  even  get  me  started  with  water  and  Bangalore!!  Smile  I  am  from  Kerala  originally  and  i  hate  the  water  quality  in  Bangalore.  The  most  expensive  part  of  my  discus  keeping  (i  have  two  tanks)  is  not  the  food,  but  water.  We  have  very  bad  borewell  water,  so  weekly  30%  C  that  i  do  is  mostly  using  canned  water!
   The  little  Cauvery  water  we  get  (and   if  am  around  during  their  supply  time  in  the  evening  and  not  feeling  dead  after  work  Smile,   i  collect  in  couple  of  cans  and  store  till  the  week  end-  so  its  mostly  one  can  of  cauvery  plus  two  cans  of  the  35  rs/can  water,  treated  with  a  few  drops  of  dechlorinator  and  ADA's  relax  for  WC.  If  you  are  from  an  area  which  get  regular  Cauvery  water  supply,  then  you  are  lucky!
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:08 pm Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

Thumb Up
jerin111111
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:21 am Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

@anoop  ,  where  do  you  stay.......  yup  water  quality  does  change  in  bangalore  from  area  to  area,
 luckily  we  have  cauvery  supply  in  our  area............  found  it  hard  when  i  first  came  to  bangalore  from  Kerala  but  fine  nw..........
puneet45
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:09 am Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
anoopc
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:10 pm Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

Folks:  some  help.  I  had  never  experienced  this  issue  earlier,  so  any  suggestions  would  be  welcome.  Did  a  regular  WC  today  and  after  that,  observed  that  one  of  my  blue  diamonds  had  a  slight  white  scar  on  his  face-  on  closer  look  i  found  that  the  skin  there  had  been  scartched  and  the  white  tissue  beneath  was  showing-  its  like  the  fish  would  have  scratched  his  face  against  some  wood  work  in  the  tank  (mine  is  a  planted  tank  setp  with  some  wood  on  shich  ferns  and  moss  grow  set  in  as  well).  I  have  uploaded  a  not  so  clear  pict  here.  So  far  the  fish  seem  not  too  distressed  and  did  feed  with  the  others,  when  i  put  some  blood  worms.  I  can  see  the  blue  skin  loose  over  the  small  wound-  just  had  another  look-  he  is  not  stressed  so  far.  Hope  no  infection  sets  in.

Will  the  skin  reform  quickly?  any  chance  of  an  infection?  Do  i  need  to  put  in  any  antiobiotic  or  methylene  blue  to  the  water?  Its  a  community  tank  with  another  6  discus  and  around  10  cardinals  and  few  corys  in  it.  Suggestions  would  be  welcome.  Thanks.

https://picasaweb.google.com/anoopcheeran/DiscusMadness#5604228405919263058
Yogesh

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:27 pm Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

Anoop

Do  not  use  any  antibiotic  for  such  wounds.
 Separate  the  infected  discus  to  QT,  add  some  rock  salt  &  set  heater  at  30.  
 They  should  be  fine  within  3-4  days  if  any  secondary  infection  have  not  taken  over.

If  they  do  not  recover  by  above  method,  Melafix  is  sure-shot  medicine  to  cure  such  wounds.
anoopc
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:41 pm Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

Will  do.  Thank  you,  Yogesh.
crackinspine
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:38 pm Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

Hey  Anoop,
 I  agree  with  most  of  the  guys  here.  No  offense,  but  your  discus  seem  to  be  fraile.  Feeding  fish  in  a  planted  tank  is  a  challenge  even  for  the  most  established  fish  keepers.  And  discus,  once  they  lose  their  appetite  for  a  reason  they  wont  easily  get  back  to  feeding.  If  you  want  a  planted  tank  for  discus,  go  for  a  species  only  tank  that  resembles  a  discus  biotope,  Check  with  Abhida's  recent  post  on  topless  (hoodless;  topless  just  sounds  ecstatic)  tank  for  a  discus  biotope.  Or  else  you  could  pot  your  plants  in  a  bare  bottom  tank.

Shiva  Boss  has  a  reputation  for  providing  A+  grade  discus  to  hobbyists  alike.  Have  a  word  with  him.  Also  you  could  contact  Aakar  aquarium  (Sandeep)  here  in  Mumbai.  His  fish  are  a  bit  expensive  but  great  quality.  You  can  tell  from  the  shapes,  colors  and  the  flare  these  guys  have  on  the  body  and  eyes.

Regs
 Push
anoopc
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:55 pm Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

Hey  Push.  Thanks  for  the  inputs,  bro.  I  agree  with  you  that  growing  show  discus  in  planted  tanks  is  indeed  a  challenge  and  almost  impossible.

I  have  posted  this  else  where  in  this  forum,  still,  for  me,  a  plant  less  tank  is  soul  less.  I  know  none  of  our  settings  will  ever  emulate  nature  at  its  best,  but  we  all  strive  to  create  some  of  the  wonders  we  see  around  in  our  green  surroundings,  inside  five  glass  pieces  pasted  together,  either  through  fish  or  with  fish  and  plants.  For  me,  fish  and  plants  is  when  it  ever  even  might  get  close.  

I  never  had  a  problem  in  two  years  that  i  have  been  keeping  discus  in  planted  tanks  (except  the  above  issue-  that  i  think  might  have  been  due  to  my  mistake  in  driving  the  fish  against  a  wood  piece  during  WC)-the  pepperings  and  the  shapelessness  that  many  see  in  those  discus  are  inherent-  i  really  wonder  how  much  of  the  genetics  one  can  change  with  a  bb  tank  or  any  other  growth  parameters.  

Its  only  very  recently  that  i  have  been  active  in  this  forum,  and  its  only  now  that  am  even  aware  of  the  good  sources  of  discus  one  can  get,  like  Shiva  sir  and  few  senior  members  here.  Almost  all  of  the  fish  you  see  in  those  picts  (except  an  albino  white)  are  rescued  fish-  i  wish  i  had  a  'before'  and  'now'  pictures  of  these  fishes.  I  have  sourced  almost  all  these  fishes  from  local  stores  at  throw  away  prices  and  have  nurtured  them  into  what  you  see  in  those  picts.  Simply  put,  i  just  did  not  know  where  to  buy  decent  fish  from  (the  big  shops  were  selling  at  unbelievable  prices  which  for  a  novice  like  me,  were  too  high)  at  non-astronomical  prices.  In  spite  of  the  defective  breeds,  all  of  these  fish  picked  up  in  planted  tanks.  

Anyways,  if  and  when  i  have  another  set  up  (and  it  again  will  be  a  discus  set  up  only)  i  will  try  the  Discus  biotope  and  will  try  sourcing  from  Shiva  sir.

and  hey,  sir-  that  comment  on  'top-less'  was  priceless!  Razz
anoopc
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:38 pm Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

Yogesh-  thanks  a  ton  for  the  advice.  I  followed  it-  within  couple  of  days  i  could  see  skin  formation  over  the  wound  and  as  of  last  Friday  (6  days  from  the  accident)  he  is  fully  recovered  and  has  shiny  blue  skin  without  even  a  small  scar  to  show  for  the  (mis)adventure  he  had.  Or  maybe  she  had.  Smile  He/she  is  back  in  the  school  with  others  now.
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:39 pm Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

Finally  some  discuss  in  a  planted  tank   Smile
 I  love  it  bro...
rkkaran
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:10 pm Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

Anoop,

Thanks  for  the  info  and  sorry  as  I  almost  forgot  I  had  posted  something  on  this  thread  to  you  :-)

The  place  I  stay  I  do  get  adequate  supply  of  Cauvery(corporation)  water.  I  guess  I  would  follow  the  same  plan  of  storing  it  in  a  barrel/  drum  and  regulate  the  WC's.  So  from  what  you  say  the  water  parameters  of  the  Cauvery  water  should  be  good  enough  for  Discus?

Anyways,  talking  about  sourcing  Discus  locally,  there  was  a  guy  who  had  advertised  of  good  quality  discus  near  the  Cantonment  area.  Just  check  for  his  Ad  on  bangalore  olx  or  bangalore  quikr  one  of  those.

Thanks,
 Karan
anoopc
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:05 pm Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

People,  something  most  unusual  has  happened.  

Tonight  as  i  was  going  to  switch  off  the  lights  in  one  of  my  planted  set  up,  i  noticed  the  bigger  Red  Melon  pair  (i  had  always  imagined  that  these  red  melons  are  a  pair-  they  are  the  biggest  in  the  group,  the  others  being  two  blue  diamond  and  another  melon  and  a  checkerboard,  all  of  which  are  smaller)  staying  quite  close  to  some  drift  wood  i  have  in  my  planted  set  up.  

To  my  utter  astonoshment,  i  then  saw  that  these  guys  have  spawned  on  the  driftwood-  or  maybe  i  think  they  have  spawned.  
 There  are  red  eggs  (?)  on  the  wood  and  both  of  them  are  staying  close,  driving  any  away  any  of  the  other  discus  from  that  area.  I  have  seen  Angel  fish  spawning  and  raising  fry  in  our  planted  indoor  pond  back  in  my  hometown,  but  Discus,  this  is  the  first  time.

I  know  its  pretty  hopeless  a  situation-  its  a  full  blooded  planted  tank,  a  community  one  at  that,  there  are-  other  than  Discus,  10  Cardinals,  One  Clown  Loach,  4  corydoras,  cherry  shrimps  and  few  snails.  I  have  one  more  tank,  but  that  is  also  a  planted,  Discus  community  tank.  

What  should  i  do-  this  being  the  first  time,  should  i  just  see  what  happen?  Have  read  here  that  the  eggs  need  to  be  black  in  color  to  denote  that  they  are  fertilised  and  active.  Is  that  correct?  Currently  they  are  bright  red.  

Should  i  leave  the  lights  onvernight?

Here  is  a  picture  to  the  scene-  its  a  cell  phone  pic  and  i  havent  scrubbed  the  glass  for  a  week  now,  so  you  have  some  algae  on  the  glass.  Not  the  cleanest  of  a  picture.  Still.  Inputs  would  be  appreciated.  

https://picasaweb.google.com/109383479608461186254/August112011#5639649990213441394

Thanks!!
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:09 am Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

Anoop  ,

In  community  tank  ,  you  will  not  get  success  in  discus  breeding  .  If  you  want  to  see  their  fries  ,  you  need  to  separate  them  to  breeding  tank  .
govindsj
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:00 am Post subject: Re: my discus picts, also inputs would be appreciated Reply with quote

Hi!
      Congrats  mate  on  your  discus  spawning  in  a  planted  tank.  I  guess  you  might  have  success  and  just  hope  to  see  more  of  your  tank  in  person.

Govindsj
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: