156. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,741

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - marine set up
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

marine set up

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chitra
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:49 am Post subject: marine set up Reply with quote

How  toset  up  a  marine  tank?
 I  amm  going  to  buy  smmall  marine  fishes  as  it  sounded  cheaper.  a  clown,  the  other  one  zebra  like  and  the  other  one  blue  with  yellow  tail.  

The  shop  keeper  said  i  have  to  buy  sea  salt  which  he  showed  RS.500.    is  that  enough?  please  advice.

chitra.
iggy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:42 am Post subject: Angels? Reply with quote

What  happened  with  your  angels?    Have  you  given  up  with  them?
 Iggy
dr_mozart
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:41 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

since  u  said  cheap  fish..the  zebra  like  might  be  a  convict  damsel...ive  seen  one  at  a  lfs  n  its  very  aggressive  towards  other  fish  so  be  careful...the  blue  with  yellow  tail  must  eb  a  yellowtail  damsel...i  have  one  n  i  jus  love  it.....abt  sea  salt...the  cost  depends  on  how  big  your  tank  is....  it  is  about  1  kg  per  30  litres...i  suggest  u  do  a  lil  research  abt  prices  and  requirements  else  the  LFS  guys  might  take  u  for  a  ride...when  i  first  went  to  this  lfs  the  guy  over  there  gave  me  an  estimate  of  around  15k  for  a  2  footer  marine  tank..excluding  the  livestock  prices  Crying or Very sad  but  when  i  setup  this  thing  with  my  friends'  help  it  summed  up  to  around  3-4k...
gokulin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:20 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

dr_mozart  wrote:                
gave  me  an  estimate  of  around  15k  for  a  2  footer  marine  tank..excluding  the  livestock  prices  Crying or Very sad  but  when  i  setup  this...    summed  up  to  around  3-4k...                

ROFL  That  LFS  guy  seems  to  be  a  real  fraud...  was  he  planning  to  put  some  gold  and  silver  into  the  tank?  ROFL    how  much  does  1  kg  of  salt  mix  costs??  and  how  much  does  it  cost  you  for  a  month??  and  what  fish  do  you  have??    and  maintenance??  

Could  you  give  stats  on  that??
rajeev
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:06 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

In  order  to  setup  a  Marine  Tank  you  need  

1.  Salt  (Should  Cost  150  /  kg)
 2.  Water  (Free..Unless  you  intend  to  use  RO  Water)
 3.  Tank  (Cost  Depends  on  Dimension)
 4.  P.  Skimmer  (Range  Starts  from  1000  Rs  for  Airstone  Based  )
 5.  Powerhead  (300  Rs  +)
 6.  Dead  Rocks  (Dont  have  rate)
 7.  Live  Rock  (Optional  but  good  to  have  )
 8.  Lights  (Nothing  fancy  just  1-2  tube  or  PL's  ...we  need  to  conserve  electricity)

The  above  is  for  a  very  basic  Marine  Tank  like  mine....The  Fish  will  come  into  the  equation  only  after  the  tank  is  set...which  should  take  a  month  or  more..till  then  dont  think  about  fish.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:21 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
15k  for  a  2  footer  marine  tank..excluding  the  livestock  prices    but  when  i  setup  this  thing  with  my  friends'  help  it  summed  up  to  around  3-4k...                

Dr.  What  is  the  set-up  that  your  lfs  guy  suggested?  Yes  a  decent  set-up  will  be  a  bit  on  the  higher  side!

Quote:                
I  amm  going  to  buy  smmall  marine  fishes  as  it  sounded  cheaper.  a  clown,  the  other  one  zebra  like  and  the  other  one  blue  with  yellow  tail.                  

Hey  Chitra,  welcome  to  the  salt  hobby!  I  would  suggest  you  first  let  us  know  what  your  set-up  plans  are  and  then  comes  the  cycling  period  and  then  comes  the  fish!  Don't  get  carried  away  by  the  fish  -  only  if  you  have  your  basics  right  -  you  will  succeed  -  marine  hobby  needs  a  lot  of  dedication  esp.  for  a  small  tank  set-up  like  the  one  you  intend  keeping.

Quote:                
The  shop  keeper  said  i  have  to  buy  sea  salt  which  he  showed  RS.500.  is  that  enough?  please  advice.                  

What  is  the  quantity  of  salt  he  is  offering  for  that  price?  If  you  give  us  any  idea  of  the  size  you  intend  going  in  for  -  it  will  be  more  helpful!

this  is  what  a  yellow-tail  blue  damsel  should  look  like

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:43 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

The  best  thing  that  you  can  do,  Chitra,  is  ASK  around  (pun  intended).  

I  ve  been  planning  a  marine  tank  for  quite  a  while  now  and  thats  what  found  me  this  board  in  the  first  place.  Marine  setups  require  more  work  than  freshwater  aquariums  and  the  slightest  error  can  wipe  the  tank  out.
 The  lack  of  reasonably  priced  equipment  is  my  biggest  holdup  atm.  Also  the  salt  mix  is  not  really  very  cheap  either.

If  this  is  your  first  time  with  marine  fish,  I  d  suggest  that  you  read  up  on  the  subject  a  bit.
 This  thread  is  a  good  start
 http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

You  will  require  :

1.  Reasonably  large  tank  (marine  fish  require  more  space  than  your  average  mollie)
 2.  Good  filtration  (depending  on  what  kind  of  setup  you  want,  the  filtration  requirements  go  up,FO-  Fish  Only  <  Fish  only  with  Live  Rock  -FOWLR  <  Reef  -  unlikely  in  India  because  of  the  coral  ban)
 3.  A  protien  skimmer  is  deemed  to  be  essential  by  almost  all  the  sites  I  have  seen,  although  some  people  have  setups  wihout  one.
 4.  Good  lighting  -  Metal  halides  >  Actinics  >  Tubes  >  shining  a  torch  at  the  fish  all  the  time    Smile  
 5.  The  usual  test  kits  -  Ammonia,  Nitrite,  Nitrate,  PH  for  Marine  use.
 6.  A  hygrometer
 7.  Substrate  -  Live  Sand  ususally  
 8.  Live  rock  -  depending  on  your  setup  you  micght  want  to  get  this  or  not.
 9.  Corals  -  Illegal  in  India  but  some  people  do  have  them.
 10.  Fish  -  You  have  to  be  careful  while  selecting  fish  for  your  tank  as  some  marine  fish  can  be  territorial  and  not  all  fish  mix.  

This  is  just  the  basics  and  my  knowledge  is  theoretical.  There  are  more  experienced  members  who  have  actually  done  all  this  and  they  ll  be  able  to  provide  better  info.

Last edited by psimhan on Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:52 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
4.  Good  lighting  -  Metal  halides  >  Actinics  >  Tubes  >  shining  a  torch  at  the  fish  all  the  time    
 7.  Substrate  -  Live  Sand  ususally  
 8.  Live  rock  -  depending  on  your  setup  you  micght  want  to  get  this  or  not.  
 9.  Corals  -  Illegal  in  India  but  some  people  do  have  them.                  

The  above  are  compulsory  only  if  you  want  to  have  a  reef  set-up
 and  Pisman  what  is  it  that  you  don't  find  on  IAH  that  you  go  out  to  search  on  other  domains?  and  recommend  it  to  others?
 IAH  is  a  good  site  with  good  people  on-board  and  most  of  the  moderators  even  have  their  articles  on  other  foreign  sites  so  please  reconsider  your  opinion  -  No  hard  feelings  intended!
 regards,
 aquascapes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:10 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

[quote="aquascapes"]                                                  
Quote:                

and  Pisman  what  is  it  that  you  don't  find  on  IAH  that  you  go  out  to  search  on  other  domains?  and  recommend  it  to  others?
 IAH  is  a  good  site  with  good  people  on-board  and  most  of  the  moderators  even  have  their  articles  on  other  foreign  sites  so  please  reconsider  your  opinion  -  No  hard  feelings  intended!
 regards,
 aquascapes                

None  taken,  Aquascapes.  
 The  reason  why  I  post  links  to  other  sites  is  so  that  any  newcomer  will  have  information  before  they  go  out  and  spend  loads  of  cash  on  the  setup  buying  everything  that  the  LFS  recommends  to  them  only  to  find  everything  dying  in  a  couple  of  weeks  time.  That  would  just  dicourage  them  from  keeping  fish  as  a  hobby.
 Sure  we  have  some  really  good  mods  here,  and  we  have  some  really  good  articles  but  mostly  all  of  us  here  are  freshwater  hobbyists  with  only  5.56%  SW  and  the  info  on  the  forums  is  spread  out  all  over  different  posts.
 Someone  should  seriously  come  up  with  a  sticky  that  can  be  used  for  guiding  any  newbie  on  the  basics.
 An  article  by  you,  Aquascapes  on  how  you  started  and  got  your  marine  setup  would  be  great;  I  myself  could  learn  from  a  firsthand  account  of  how  to  practically  get  started  off.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:44 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I'm  in  the  process  of  making  my  200g  reef  tank  and  will  come-up  definately  with  a  write-up  with  a  step-by-step  guide  -  will  take  some  time  though!
 I  just  mentioned  the  point  because  when  a  new-comer  is  diverted  to  a  foreign  site  he/she  will  take  up  info  from  the  site  and  will  become  passive  with  IAH  -  This  way  we  will  loose  out  on  some  good  posts  and  some  good  information  -  why  not  support  IAH  and  let  all  the  necessary  discussions  take  place  here!
 Lets  make  IAH  a  more  happening  site  and  a  site  which  can  be  mentioned  on  other  foreign  forums!

Off-late  I've  seen  people  come-up  with  absurd  problems  and  when  others  start  taking  interest  in  the  poster's  problem  -  the  poster  becomes  'Mr.  India'  -  that  is  not  fair  I  feel  it  should  be  the  moral  duty  of  all  the  posters  who  start  a  thread  to  be  an  active  poster  in  the  thread  -  this  inspires  others  to  help  and  feel  that  the  problem  is  taken  care  of!
 I've  also  noted  that  from  the  online  help  people  get  on  IAH  they  have  become  selfish  and  don't  even  have  the  courtesy  to  give  us  a  feed  back  once  the  problem  is  solved  (I  call  this  parasitic  infestation  and  should  be  treated  on  time)
 Moderators,  please  correct  me  if  I'm  wrong
 Beta,  if  you  feel  necessary  to  start  a  new  thread  from  my  post  please  feel  free  to  do  it!  (from  the  word  -  off-late    Chuckle  )
guruvaidya
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:43 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

i  noticed  u  didnt  mention  a  canister  filter  ..what  is  it?  and  how  important  is  it  for  a  marine  setup?
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:49 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

aquascapes  wrote:                

Beta,  if  you  feel  necessary  to  start  a  new  thread  from  my  post  please  feel  free  to  do  it!  (from  the  word  -  off-late    Chuckle  )                

As  long  as  the  thread  gets  back  to  Chitra's  query  I  will  leave  it  as  is  Thumb Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: