100. Guest
101. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Mosquito repellent question
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Mosquito repellent question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bettalover27
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:56 pm Post subject: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

I  hope  someone  can  answer  this:
 With  all  the  mosquitoes  now  reaching  for  my  toes  and  other  impossible  to  scratch  areas,  I  need  to  use  a  repellent.  I'm  using  the  type  where  there  is  a  liquid  and  a  diffuser.  I've  used  it  before  with  my  bettas  around,  with  no  issues  to  their  health.  But  I'm  worried  that  when  I  breed  them  and  have  fry,  they  might  be  adversely  affected  by  it.  What  can  I  do  to  ensure  their  safety  (and  don't  say  don't  use  the  repellent!   Very Happy  )  Is  it  safe  to  be  using  it?  Any  input  will  help!  Thanks.  Smile
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:06 am Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

your  doubt  is  quite  valid  and  interesting  as  bettas  breath  from  atmosphere
 but  there  has  been   no  such  event  noted  atleast  for  my  knowledge
 I  had  bred  betta  once  and  as  every  house  has  those  liquids  fumming  with  no  noticable  effect  in  my  case
Bettalover27
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:09 am Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

Exactly,  I  am  mostly  worried  because  not  only  do  bettas  breathe  air  but  the  replellent  has  kerosene,  that  might  form  an  oily  layer  on  the  water..  And  kerosene  isn't  exactly  great  for  health.   Surprised  But  you've  put  me  a  little  at  ease.  Lol!  Thanks.  Very Happy
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 am Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

I  have  bred  jewels,  angles,  their  fry  were  not  affected  with  mosquito  repellant.
 However  I  have  no  idea  with  betta  fry,  however  it  should  not  be  a  problem.
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:37 am Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

Try  to  use  that  'cheap  chinese  electric  badminton/tennis  racket'  sort  of  thing  they  are  selling  everywhere  nowadays.Believe  me,  they  are  fun  to  use,the  crackles  are  almost  addictive,good  exercise  for  the  body,improves  your  reflexes,non  toxic.........the  list  is  almost  endless!
 Moreover,(though  I  have  never  tried  it)  roasted  mosquitoes  might  serve  as  fast  food  for  some  fishes!   Smile
Bettalover27
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:13 pm Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

Lol!  Thanks  for  the  alternative  idea   ROFL  
 I  don't  think  I  want  to  go  collecting  roasted  mosquitoes  for  my  fish  babies  hehehe..  I  actually  have  the  racket  but  I  don't  have  enough  mosquitoes  for  it  to  be  a  viable  option.  Sad  Or  I  have  ninja  mosquitoes..  I  don't  know  lol!  They're  the  kind  that  are  in  small  numbers  but  still  bite  a  lot.   Thumb Down  

I'm  actually  less  freaked  out  now  after  you  guys  have  replied..  I  might  put  a  thick  cloth  over  the  tank  just  in  case  though,  otherwise  leave  it  to  fate.  :/
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:22 pm Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

Nisha,

Your  concerns  are  valid.  Try  using  "Sambrani"  or  "Doop"  instead  of  the  electrical  gizmo  (more  electricity  for  your  fish  Razz  )

Personally,  i  use  em  both  in  my  room  and  have  never  had  any  issues  with  em.  My  betta  used  to  live  in  his  lil  tank  right  next  to  the  electrical  point  that  housed  the  electric  diffuser.  Lived  a  long  healthy  life  till  my  cat  decided  to  make  a  meal  of  him.
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:42 pm Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

Zakk  wrote  (View  Post):                
 Try  using  "Sambrani"  or  "Doop"  instead  of  the  electrical  gizmo  (more  electricity  for  your  fish  Razz  )

Yeah,yeah!

Save  Megawatts  of  electricity!
 And  spend  the  money  saved  on  your  hospital  bills!  Razz   Razz   Razz   Razz   Razz   Razz     

Check  This  Out!
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:51 pm Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

Mosquito  Coils  arent  Sambrani  or  Doop!  

LOL
Bettalover27
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:52 pm Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

Eep!  Now  i'm  scared..  Hmm  should  I  die  of  malaria  or  my  lungs  getting  poisoned  hmmm...  Difficult  choice!  Razz
 I  have  no  idea  what  Sambrani  is,  maybe  its  worth  a  shot,  I'm  allergic  to  doop  though,  I  go  all  asthmatic  and  what  not..  

So  lets  see:  The  mosquito  coil  will  give  me  lung  cancer,  the  badminton  thing  doesn't  work,  the  electrical  one  may  or  may  not  kill  my  fish  and  the  doop  will  kill  me...  Awesome!   ROFL  
 my  choices  seem  pretty  narrow.  -____-

@Viresh-  The  reason  i'm  not  getting  a  cat  is  exactly  that!  All  my  pets  are  like  potato  chips  for  one!

EDIT-  just  found  out  Sambrani  is  doop  too,  great!  Lol!  In  fact  I'm  allergic  to  the  electric  diffuser  one  too  but  not  as  much  as  these..
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:04 pm Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

there  are  2  types  of  Sambrani.  One  is  made  up  all  natural  ingredients.  Its  available  at  most  Kerala  Handicraft  Stores  and  then  you  have  your  retail  brands  that  consist  of  chemicals.  Wink  ask  around.
Bettalover27
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:23 pm Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

I  think  I'll  have  to  ask  my  bf  or  my  Mallu  friends  if  they  know  anything  about  it...  Does  it  have  smoke  like  the  doop  cause  that  will  kill  me?   Surprised
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:20 pm Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

it  does  but  its  not  as  pungent  or  "aromatic".  one  stick  will  be  fine.  i  burn  like  4  of  them  at  a  time  in  my  room  to  mask  the  smell  of  XXXX

sraghuvanshi:  Do  not  use  names  of  banned  susbtances  on  the  forum.

Last edited by Zakk on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bettalover27
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:32 pm Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

Surprised  Uhh..  awesome?
   Lol!  I'll  give  it  a  shot  once  I  find  it  that  is.  
   Confused
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:37 pm Post subject: Re: Mosquito repellent question Reply with quote

Zakk  wrote  (View  Post):                
 i  burn  like  4  of  them  at  a  time  in  my  room  to  mask  the  smell  of  weed                

Is  it  the  "weed"  I  think  it  is?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: