159. Guest
160. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,813

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - DIY Peltier Chiller
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

DIY Peltier Chiller
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:43 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

Me  in  too  Esse  Thumb Up
swapnilk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:58 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

Thumbs Up   good  luck  bro...  Rock On
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:25 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

it  is  really  very  simple.

products  used:  

1x300  Watt  Peltier  Plate  -  5xx
 2x  Processor  cooling  fan  -  2xx
 1x  High  Quality  copper  heat  sinks  -  3xx
 1x  High  Quality  Aluminium  heat  sink  -  3xx
 1x  450  Watt  rail  SMPS  -  had  it  at  home  (a  unbranded  one  is  under  4xx)

wiring  it  was  as  simple  as  +ve  to  +ve  and  -ve  to  -ve.  

Assembly:

Both  the  cooling  fans  hooked  up  back  to  back  to  the  +ve  side  of  the  plate  with  the  copper  heatsink  -  DO  NOT  USE  IT  WITH  OUT  A  HEAT  SINK  OR  IT  WILL  BURN  OUT  (learnt  that  the  hard  way  Razz).  Using  a  electric  saw,  i  had  my  carpenter  carefully  cut  out  the  size  of  the  heat  sink  on  the  back  of  my  Aquaclear  filter  (he  was  doin  some  work  for  my  room  so  had  him  do  this  as  well  -  dont  really  know  how  he  did  but  i  stepped  out  for  a  lil  'somethin  somethin'  break  and  it  was  done  by  the  time  i  got  back.)  

The  -ve  side  of  the  plate  was  hooked  up  to  the  aluminium  heatsink  with  a  mica  sheet  acting  as  an  insulator  around  the  plate  to  prevent  loss  of  heat  or  cold  and  was  clamped  in  place  using  a  regular  clamp  from  an  old  motherboard  that  i  had  laying  around  with  a  slight  modification  to  the  sides  to  allow  me  to  use  a  screw  to  keep  it  all  in  place.  The  grilled  side  of  the  sink  was  then  inserted  into  the  opening  made  and  sealed  with  silicon.  the  plates  and  the  fans  were  hooked  up  to  the  12v  fan  wire  from  the  smps  wire  bundle  and  thats  that.

It  WAS  very  effective.  i  dropped  6  degrees  in  a  matter  of  3  hours.  my  tank  is  a  30x12x12  holding  approximatly  18  gallons  of  water.  i  dont  have  pic  of  it  since  the  whole  damn  thing  looks  fugly.  Unfortunatly  i  had  a  small  short  circuit  on  the  UPS  that  was  used  to  keep  the  power  supply  goin  and  that  took  my  comp,  tank  lights  and  the  chiller  out  when  it  went  blit  blit  blizzzzzzz  kaput.  i  havent  tested  the  plates  to  see  if  it  works  or  not  but  am  guessing  they  dont.  the  fans  dont  work.  

I  got  the  plates  from  Malaysia  through  a  client  of  mine  who  was  travelling  there  and  the  rest  of  the  stuff  locally.  I  was  pretty  happy  with  the  performance  but  had  to  keep  turning  it  off  cos  it  would  drop  the  temps  down  lower  than  23  and  i  didnt  wanna  risk  my  fish  and  plants.  i  am  now  lookin  for  a  cheap  and  reliable  digital  thermostat  to  help  automate  the  temp  control.  i  have  a  small  fiberglass  box  made  to  house  the  smps  and  will  install  the  thermostat  as  well  into  it.

it  REALLY  isnt  hard  to  make  but  is  hard  to  get  the  plates  least  in  india.  i  looked  around  and  even  had  a  few  friends  in  Delhi  and  Blr  look  for  em  but  couldn't.  Oddly,  Murphy  Richards,  yes  the  guys  who  make  electric  stuff,  use  these  plate  in  their  Electric  Kettles.

Hopefully  i  will  be  getting  a  bunch  of  plates  by  the  2nd  of  oct  when  i  go  to  M'asia  again.  If  i  can  source  a  cheap  thermostat  i'll  upload  pics.

ps  my  DIY  stuff  is  quite  crude  but  serves  my  purpose.  its  not  something  i  like  displaying.
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:29 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

Lies   Huh   Confused

Last edited by Kastor48252 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:34 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

Oh  yea  total  cost:  lil  under  2k  Wink  

from  what  i  have  understood,  if  you  have  a  larger  tank,  you  need  more  of  these  plates  with  higher  wattage.  dont  know  the  reliabilty  for  larger  tanks  but  nano's  and  smaller  ones  it  does  serve  the  purpose.

Maybe  someone  could  try  it  out  in  a  taller,  larger  tank.  i  like  my  tanks  short  in  height.

Just  make  sure  your  flow  is  slow  enough  to  allow  the  water  to  cool  and  the  medium  isnt  in  contact  with  the  sink  else  u  might  end  up  freezing  the  medium  killing  your  bacteria  colony  and  pretty  much  busting  your  HOB  filter.

Oh  yes,  this  can  be  done  only  with  a  HOB  filter.  will  not  work  with  a  canister  filter....internal  or  external.
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:38 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

oh  yea  Power  Consumption:  barely  noticeable.  had  a  difference  of  80  rupees  between  the  bills.  cant  give  you  much  more  than  that  cos  

1:  i  dont  have  the  equipment  to  measure  the  power  consumption
 2:  i  cba  to  spend  money  on  the  above  for  a  one  time  thing.
 3:  no  i  do  not  intend  to  borrow  it  from  any  one  cos  i  honestly  do  not  have  the  time  to  sit  down  and  measure  stuff.  

my  next  project:  Glutraldyhyde  as  an  alternate  source  of  CO2.  almost  done  with  the  measurements  needed.  will  be  testing  it  out  in  my  out  door  plant  growing  tank  to  see  the  effect.

Good  night  folks.  i  need  my  40z's.  Been  up  since  4  AM.

Peace!
random2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:58 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

Few  pictures  of  the  setup  would  be  good.  The  heatsinks  connected  and  I  would  be  interested  in  the  HOB  part.  Marc  is  really  interested  (Im  sure  others  too)  in  making  something  similar  for  his  tanks.

One  thing  that  surprises  me  is  that  you  could  drive  a  300w  peltier  on  a  cheap  power  supply  which  can  hardly  pull  up  10-12amps  on  a  12v  rail.
Marc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:06 am Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

random2  wrote  (View  Post):                
Few  pictures  of  the  setup  would  be  good.  The  heatsinks  connected  and  I  would  be  interested  in  the  HOB  part.  Marc  is  really  interested  (Im  sure  others  too)  in  making  something  similar  for  his  tanks.

One  thing  that  surprises  me  is  that  you  could  drive  a  300w  peltier  on  a  cheap  power  supply  which  can  hardly  pull  up  10-12amps  on  a  12v  rail.                

Yes  am  indeed  very  interested.  A  few  pics  (atleast  cell  phone  pics)  of  the  setup  will  help  in  understanding   Very Happy
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:10 am Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

actually  deepak,  it  was  gaming  SMPS  that  supports  up  to  6  cooling  fans.  it  has  a  rated  ampere  of  18  which  was  well  over  my  plates  amperage  of  14  Wink  this  PSU  am  talkin  about  is  for  hardcore  gamers/coders  like  my  self  who  need  the  extra  power  and  cooling  and  yet  not  run  up  high  power  bills.  my  current  setup  has  a  custom  SMPS  unit  that  drives  8  fan,  1  oversized  Processor  fan,  ram  slot  cooling  and  additional  cooling  fans  for  the  SMPS  it  self.

like  i  said....i  am  a  geek....just  dont  look  like  one  :P

you  DO  get  lower  amp  plates  to  drive  on  a  12  amp  rail  as  well  they  just  dont  cool  as  fast  as  i  would  like.

lemme  finish  up  my  next  chiller  and  will  post  pics  cos  i  had  to  throw  everything  away  once  it  burnt  out.  my  mom  has  a  weird  theory  of  not  keeping  stuff  that  might  not  be  working  so  yea.  i  might  end  up  having  to  spend  a  lil  more  for  my  power  source  and  will  prob  get  it  from  thailand  or  malaysia  instead  seeing  that  the  PSU's  here  are  bloody  expensive.
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:17 am Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

Marc,

its  really  simple.  

create  a  "sandwich"  with  the  copper  heatsink  on  the  +ve  side  and  the  aluminium  heatsink  on  the  -ve.  just  make  sure  your  copper  heatsink  has  sleeves  at  the  corners  to  connect  the  fan  to  the  sink.  the  2nd  fan  can  simply  be  glued  onto  the  1st.  i  used  drops  of  silcon  with  a  small  sleeve  at  each  corner  made  from  plastic  tubing  to  keep  the  blades  from  the  lower  fan  hitting  the  base  of  the  2nd  fan.

cut  a  slit  on  the  sleeve  on  one  of  the  fan  wires,  cut  the  plug  away  from  the  other  fan  wire  and  solder  them  or  tape  them  into  the  slit  of  the  sleeve  and  voila!  99%  of  the  heat  sinks  come  with  a  gapin  the  middle  for  the  clamp  to  run  through  it  to  secure  it  to  the  motherboard.  use  2  of  these  and  bend  them  towards  each  other  and  secure  them  with  copper  wire  though  the  little  slots  and  tighten  them  up.
Marc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:22 am Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

Zakk  wrote  (View  Post):                
Marc,

its  really  simple.  

create  a  "sandwich"  with  the  copper  heatsink  on  the  +ve  side  and  the  aluminium  heatsink  on  the  -ve.  just  make  sure  your  copper  heatsink  has  sleeves  at  the  corners  to  connect  the  fan  to  the  sink.  the  2nd  fan  can  simply  be  glued  onto  the  1st.  i  used  drops  of  silcon  with  a  small  sleeve  at  each  corner  made  from  plastic  tubing  to  keep  the  blades  from  the  lower  fan  hitting  the  base  of  the  2nd  fan.

cut  a  slit  on  the  sleeve  on  one  of  the  fan  wires,  cut  the  plug  away  from  the  other  fan  wire  and  solder  them  or  tape  them  into  the  slit  of  the  sleeve  and  voila!  99%  of  the  heat  sinks  come  with  a  gapin  the  middle  for  the  clamp  to  run  through  it  to  secure  it  to  the  motherboard.  use  2  of  these  and  bend  them  towards  each  other  and  secure  them  with  copper  wire  though  the  little  slots  and  tighten  them  up.                

Thanks,  but  I  guess  a  picture  is  worth  a  thousand  words!
random2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:38 am Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

Zakk  wrote  (View  Post):                
actually  deepak,  it  was  gaming  SMPS  that  supports  up  to  6  cooling  fans.  it  has  a  rated  ampere  of  18  which  was  well  over  my  plates  amperage  of  14  Wink  this  PSU  am  talkin  about  is  for  hardcore  gamers/coders  like  my  self  who  need  the  extra  power  and  cooling  and  yet  not  run  up  high  power  bills.  my  current  setup  has  a  custom  SMPS  unit  that  drives  8  fan,  1  oversized  Processor  fan,  ram  slot  cooling  and  additional  cooling  fans  for  the  SMPS  it  self.

like  i  said....i  am  a  geek....just  dont  look  like  one  :P

you  DO  get  lower  amp  plates  to  drive  on  a  12  amp  rail  as  well  they  just  dont  cool  as  fast  as  i  would  like.

lemme  finish  up  my  next  chiller  and  will  post  pics  cos  i  had  to  throw  everything  away  once  it  burnt  out.  my  mom  has  a  weird  theory  of  not  keeping  stuff  that  might  not  be  working  so  yea.  i  might  end  up  having  to  spend  a  lil  more  for  my  power  source  and  will  prob  get  it  from  thailand  or  malaysia  instead  seeing  that  the  PSU's  here  are  bloody  expensive.                

Few  things  -

1.  How  much  power  do  you  think  a  fan  consumes?  One  can  run  a  120mm  fan  12v  500ma  -  so  around  6watts?  You  can  run  10s  of  fans  on  any  pigly  PSU.
 How  do  I  say  that  -  I  have  Yate  Loons  and  Scythes  running  on  my  workstations  and  tanks.

2.  If  your  plate  had  a  14amp  rating,  its  definitely  not  300watt.  You  do  the  math.  A  300w  peltier  would  need  20+  amps.  So  if  you  tried  it,  you  might  have  fried  the  PSU.
 How  do  I  say  that  -  Look  into  spec  sheet  of  any  300w  peltier  err  there  is  no  300w,  its  320w.

3.  I  dont  know  of  any  PSU  with  20+  amps  on  12v  rail  that  costs  4xx.  My  2.5k+  Corsairs  (CX430,  VX450)  cant  handle  that  load  neither  can  a  5k+  Hiper  (550w)  I  have.
 How  do  I  say  that  -  I  build  my  workstations.  And  make  sure  the  best  components  go  into  it.  

4.  And  'High  quality'  heat  sinks  for  3xx??  Are  you  sure?
 Last  time  I  got  one  -  TT120  (Tuniq  Tower)  -  I  spent  2.5k+  in  the  cheapest  market  -  US
 A  300w  peltier  will  need  some  heavy  cooling  at  the  hot  end  as  it  will  be  delivering  300w+cold  end  

I  am  not  telling  that  what  you  have  said  above  is  impossible.  But  not  with  the  equipment  you  specify  and  cost.
 The  cheapest  part  in  the  whole  setup  might  be  the  peltier  itself.  But  it  is  a  very  demanding  piece  of  hardware.

I  really  dont  like  busting  chops.  The  next  time  you  cook  something,  it  better  be  close  to  reality.
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:34 am Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

Police   Police   Police   Police   Police   Police   Police   Police   Police   Police
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:34 am Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

Few  things  -

1.  How  much  power  do  you  think  a  fan  consumes?  One  can  run  a  120mm  fan  12v  500ma  -  so  around  6watts?  You  can  run  10s  of  fans  on  any  pigly  PSU.
 How  do  I  say  that  -  I  have  Yate  Loons  and  Scythes  running  on  my  workstations  and  tanks.                  

those  are  good  fans  and  yes  your  maths  is  correct.  you  can  run  10  fan  of  a  piddly  lil  PSU  but  that  doesnt  drive  the  fan  effectively  unless  you  know  how  to  rewire  the  lines  out.

2.  If  your  plate  had  a  14amp  rating,  its  definitely  not  300watt.  You  do  the  math.  A  300w  peltier  would  need  20+  amps.  So  if  you  tried  it,  you  might  have  fried  the  PSU.
 How  do  I  say  that  -  Look  into  spec  sheet  of  any  300w  peltier  err  there  is  no  300w,  its  320w.

This  is  what  was  stated  on  the  plate.  you  can  take  it.  or  you  can  leave  it.  i  aint  gonna  sit  and  bust  my    to  prove  what  i  used  and  what  i  didnt  use.

3.  I  dont  know  of  any  PSU  with  20+  amps  on  12v  rail  that  costs  4xx.  My  2.5k+  Corsairs  (CX430,  VX450)  cant  handle  that  load  neither  can  a  5k+  Hiper  (550w)  I  have.
 How  do  I  say  that  -  I  build  my  workstations.  And  make  sure  the  best  components  go  into  it.  

Well  building  one's  work  station  doesnt  really  make  you  an  expert  on  it  buddy.  i  paid  a  lil  over  1.3k  for  a  650  watt  custom  PSU  to  drive  my  desktop.  it  wont  be  available  in  the  market  cos  i  used  a  generic  zebatronic  PSU  and  had  it  modded.

4.  And  'High  quality'  heat  sinks  for  3xx??  Are  you  sure?
 Last  time  I  got  one  -  TT120  (Tuniq  Tower)  -  I  spent  2.5k+  in  the  cheapest  market  -  US

Ummmm....lemme  know  when  u  come  down  this  side.  i'll  hook  u  up  with  a  guy  who  can  give  em  to  u  at  1/5th  price  of  what  you  have  stated.

A  300w  peltier  will  need  some  heavy  cooling  at  the  hot  end  as  it  will  be  delivering  300w+cold  end  

hence  the  double  fan.  if  i  had  used  a  150  watt  plate  i  wouldnt  have  bothered  with  a  double  fan.

I  am  not  telling  that  what  you  have  said  above  is  impossible.  But  not  with  the  equipment  you  specify  and  cost.
 The  cheapest  part  in  the  whole  setup  might  be  the  peltier  itself.  But  it  is  a  very  demanding  piece  of  hardware.

LOL  it  aint  my  fault  that  i  have  people  who  can  sell  me  stuff  at  cost  price  or  even  throw  away  prices.  it  pays  to  have  well  over  3000+  numbers  on  my  phone.  its  called  networking  ;)

I  really  dont  like  busting  chops.  The  next  time  you  cook  something,  it  better  be  close  to  reality.                

one  of  the  reasons  i  dont  like  posting  stuff  on  here  cos  each  one  thinks  he  is  an  expert.  just  cos  your  number  dont  add  up  to  my  expenses  doesnt  mean  its  not  do  able.  i  had  to  work  on  this  for  well  over  6  months  before  i  started  it  and  cant  be    to  be  bothered  to  prove  my  self  to  any  one.  

all  i  can  say  is  this  deepak:  if  you  know  who  to  ask  for  your  stuff,  you  will  get  it  at  the  prices  i  mentioned.

ps:  did  you  know  am  running  a  plate  to  cool  my  cpu?  Smile  no  mods  done  to  the  mobo  and  she  is  cool  as  hell.  this  is  a  220  v  12amp  plate  that  am  using.  pop  over  to  this  side  of  the  world  sometime  and  i'll  show  you  what  can  be  done  with  a  tight  budget.
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:40 am Post subject: Re: DIY Peltier Chiller Reply with quote

just  so  that  you  know......most  of  the  hardware  sold  in  the  US  comes  from  India  &  China.  if  you  did  spend  2.5k  on  your  TT120  you  must  be  friggin  NUTS!  i  know  someone  in  bangalore  who  makes  the  stuff  and  sends  it  over  seas.  i  dont  get  the  concept  of  the  US  being  the  cheapest  market.  they  are  the  most  expensive  ones  with  over  priced  taxes  and  mark  up.  if  i  were  you,  i  would  look  at  thailand  and  malaysia  but  i  guess  i  aint  Wink
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: