38. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,749

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - help with stocking
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

help with stocking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:44 pm Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

Nayak

if  a  fish  consumes  meat  its  poop  tends  to  turn  black  for  some  weird  reason.  this  is  something  i  have  noticed  with  my  angels  back  in  2009.  i  used  to  feed  my  dwarfs  after  my  angels  a  meaty  food  called  Plecocaine  and  the  poop  was  more  darkbrown/black....with  tetrabits  its  more  orangish/pinkish.  I  am  positive  they  preyed  on  them  cos  there  were  no  other  fish  in  the  tank  apart  from  angels  and  there  were  no  deadbodies  what  so  ever.  i  had  at  one  time  moved  a  marble  blushing  koi  to  a  QT  Tank  cos  he  was  getting  beaten  up  with  the  larger  pearly  scale  koi  with  some  young  neons  &  ¬†cherry  barbs...over  night  i  lost  1/2  of  the  neons  and  all  but  1  cherry  barb.  the  angel  made  a  very  quick  recovery  though!  The  size  of  the  angels  that  did  eat  the  neons  were  approximatly  4  inches  body  height  (not  including  finage).  There  was  an  incident  where  in  i  had  to  extract  a  neon  from  the  mouth  of  my  black  veil  tail  angel  cos  he  couldnt  swallow  it!  

These  came  to  me  from  a  fish  breeders  stock.  not  sure  if  i  still  have  the  pics  cos  my  comp  crashed  a  few  times  after  that  and  lost  a  lotta  data.  If  you're  on  FB  add  me.  i  have  my  tanks  up  on  there.  uploading  pics  here  can  be.....tiresome...for  the  lack  of  a  "politically  correct"  adjective.  www.facebook.com/vireesh.aaldo  is  my  profile.

With  regards  to  why  rummys  as  a  water  indicator:  i  live  in  a  place  where  i  have  water  issues  which  in  turn  means  i  cant  do  as  much  water  changes  as  i  would  like  during  the  summer.  the  rummys  allow  me  to  push  water  changes  to  the  last  possible  date.  

Why  does  your  neons  looks  like  albino  versions?!?!?!?

*edit*
 And  your  the  1st  one  to  tell  me  appisto's  are  "hardy".
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:54 pm Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

I  have  also  had  angels  and  neon  tetras  in  a  tank  together  with  no  deaths  for  a  year  (tore  down  the  tank  after).  I  think  the  trick  is  to  introduce  the  neons  first  and  allow  them  to  get  adjusted  and  grow  a  bit  for  a  month  or  two  and  then  add  the  smalles  angels  that  you  can  get.  This  way  they  get  used  to  each  other  and  generally  the  angels  wont  eat  the  neons.  Oh  and  there  were  also  RCS  in  that  tank  that  werent  eaten  by  the  angel
sathy83
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:17 pm Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

@Mortis:  Angels  always  tend  to  feast  on  shrimps  ....
 I  was  having  a  pair  of  platinum  angels  which  hunted  down  a  tank  full  of  wood  and  rc  shrimps  to  almost  0...   Crying or Very sad
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:20 pm Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

the  way  i  see  it  is  this:  

just  cos  it  happened  to  some  one  it  doesnt  mean  it  will  happen  to  another.  If  it  didnt  happen  to  someone  it  doesnt  mean  it  wont  happen  to  the  others.  

what  ever  we  know  about  the  fish  we  keep  are  hear  say.  personal  experiences  will  always  vary.  the  sooner  we  accept  that  the  better.
sathy83
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:22 pm Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

@Jaival  :  Electric  blue  ram,  dwarf  gourami's  are  my  choice
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:08 pm Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

@  viresh  nice  clicks....

@  mortis  

introducing  the  neons  first  and  then  angels  will  not  solve  the  problem  in  long  run  eventually  the  angles  will  grow  huge  and  hunt  down  small  fishes.....  

@  sathya83  

angels  will  have  feast  of  the  shrimps  despite  of  the  size.....

as  i  said  rams  love  to  hide  in  bush  and  comes  out  at  time  of  feeding  only  and  dwarf  gouramis  have  not  thought  off  bill  check  the  LFS  around  do  they  have  good  quality  stuff.....  

guyzz  GLOWLIGHT  tetra  .....  ??  what  say  ??  will  this  be  a  good  call  ??  my  regular  LFS  has  a  good  medium  sized  glowlight  and  at  affordable  rate.....  any  1  has  any  experiences  with  glowlight  ?  and  which  similar  size  fish  should  i  go  with  ??
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:31 am Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

jai

your  being  nice!  lol  i  suck  at  photography.

Go  for  the  glolites  buddy.  they  look  really  pretty.  i  would  mix  up  lemons,  glows  &  rummys  but  thats  just  me.
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:59 am Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

@  viresh  

i  will  go  for  glowlights  around  30  of  them.....  and  then  might  go  for  rummynose  (  but  m  afraid  as  they  get  white  spot  to  easily  )  else  i  will  wait  and  go  for  good  quality  of  cardinals  or  neons.  

any  more  suggestions  that  go  with  glowlight  as  in  active  and  contrast  to  glows....
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:10 am Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

jaival  wrote  (View  Post):                

as  i  said  rams  love  to  hide  in  bush  and  comes  out  at  time  of  feeding  only                

not  to  sound  like  a  douchbag  but  that  isnt  my  experience  keeping  these  fish.  have  had  them  since  2009.  When  i  had  them  with  my  angels  they  hid  a  lot  but  once  i  moved  the  angels  out  and  added  a  bunch  of  dither  fish,  they  came  out  in  force.  i  still  have  3  GBRs  with  me  and  they  are  the  most  prominent  fish  in  my  tank  of  assorted  dwarf  cichlids.
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:41 am Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

Jai

White  Spots  AKA  Ich  is  usually  caused  by  stress.  If  you  can  eliminate  the  stress  factor  from  your  tank  you  will  not  have  an  issue  with  them  developing  white  spots.
sushant
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:55 pm Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

go  for  dwarf  neon  and  black  neon  or  penguine  terta  and  rasboras,  apostos,  rams  and  kribensis  if  you  can  get  your  hands  on  them
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:43 pm Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

@  viresh     

my  rams  were  with  angels  so  that  might  be  the  reason  they  were  not  coming  out.....  might  put  my  hands  on  rams  if  i  get  few  of  them  in  good  quality....

i  know  the  reason  for  white  spot  is  stress  but  the  only  fish  in  whole  lot  gets  the  white  spots  are  rummy  nose.....  once  they  are  set  for  say  around  a  month  or  so  suddenly  they  get  white  spots.  

@  sushant   

i  have  never  seen  apostos  here  in  abad...  i  would  love  to  keep  them  and  kribs  are  also  not  easy  to  get.....  
 will  check  black  neon.....
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 pm Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

@  every1  

folks,

finally  i  got  30  glowlight  tetras  just  now,  they  are  pretty  and  cool  right  now  they  all  got  hid  in  the  bushy  plants  but  the  few  which  are  not  shy  are  coming  out  and  scouting  the  tank.  they  have  started  showing  their  colors.   Cheering   Cheering   Cheering  

now  as  of  now  my  plan  is  will  add  few  more  glows  and  then  let  them  set  for  few  weeks....  then  .....  ??  which  fish  to  go  ??  all  suggestions  are  welcomed.....
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 pm Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

also  help  me  with  my  algae  eating  crew......

as  of  now  i  have  few  ottos  in  ma  tank  and  was  planning  to  get  few  more.....

soo  my  confusion  is  should  i  get  a  mix  of  shrimps  or  ottos  ....??  which  1  is  better  ??

i  also  saw  bristle  nose  pleco  in  the  LFS  will  that  be  a  good  call.....  my  tank  is  densely  planted.....
ShankarB
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:08 pm Post subject: Re: help with stocking Reply with quote

Sorry,  one  small  deviation  here:  Since  we  are  talking  about  'usual  suspects'  killing/  eating  other  fishes:   Are  these  golden  algae  eaters  aggressive?   I  have  one  of  them.   Frequently  I  see  my  golden  rams  having  bruises  near  their  eyes  (its  a  pair  and  I  have  not  seen  them  attacking  each  other).   And  3  of  my  neons  disappeared  completely  (since  the  tank  is  densely  planted,  I  didn't  get  to  see  any  corpses  as  well).   The  tank  otherwise  has  rainbows  and  rasboras.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: