67. Guest
68. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,639

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Which is better substrate
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Which is better substrate

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apcmge
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:23 am Post subject: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

Hi  All

Lets  have  opinions.

After  the  recent  incident  of  loosing  all  my  fishes  due  to  accidental  increase  of  CO2  by  our  maid,  now  I  am  planning  to  rescape  the  aquarium

Presently  I  have  azoo  as  bottom  most  substrate  which  is  topped  by  about  25  kgs  of  golden  sand.  The  problem  I  face  is  whenever  I  uproot  any  plant,  azoo  and  golden  sand  mix  up.  So  there  is  no  point  in  having  gold  sand  has  a  top  substrate.

Now  guys  pls  suggest  on  which  one  would  be  better,  more  easier  to  maintain  and  of  nutritional  value   to  plants  .

1.  Only  substrates  like  Azoo  or  ada  ect

2.  Bottom  most  azoo  or  ada  etc  and  top  it  with  laterite

3.  Only  laterite.

4.  Bottom  most  riven  sand  ,  then  peat  and  then  top  it  with  laterite.

5.  Any  other  suggestions  which  doesnt  cloud  the  water  and  hold  nutritional  value  for  plants  and  readily  available  in  market.

Size  of  tank  is  

3ft  X  1.5  Ft  X  2  ft  LBH

Regards

Sanjay  Dubey
Seetharam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:29 am Post subject: Re: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

Hey  Sanjay

Better  to  go  with  Option  1
apcmge
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 am Post subject: Re: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

Wow  Seetharam  .  You  are  fast   Thumb Up  

Can  you  pls  suggest  on  the  reasons  for  going  for  option  1.

I  personally  like  the  red  color  of  laterite  as  substrate.

Regards
mullaji
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:41 am Post subject: Re: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

Hi,,  
          Friend  get  rid  of  all  these  complication  just  go  for  two  substrate  result  is  killing(excellent)  Rock On  
   1st  Sechem  flourite(black)  for  bottom   think  2  bags  are  enough  because  it  is  highly  porous  and  hard  Thumb Up  
 #  You  can  use  your  Azoo  if  it  is  highly  pores  n  hard  like  stone  ,,i  have  no  idea  of  azoo  Surprised   except  its  food  .
   2nd  ADA  Amazonia2   Thumb Up  .

bas  tats  it  for  substrate  Cheering
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:04 am Post subject: Re: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

laterite  needs  to  topped  with  gravel
 use  substrate  which  controls  or  rather  maintains  ph  and  kh
Seetharam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:30 am Post subject: Re: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

apcmge  wrote  (View  Post):                
Wow  Seetharam  .  You  are  fast   Thumb Up  

Can  you  pls  suggest  on  the  reasons  for  going  for  option  1.

I  personally  like  the  red  color  of  laterite  as  substrate.

Regards                

No  Problem   Smile  

My  reasons  as  below

1.  No  frills  of  substrates  mixing  when  you  scape  or  uproot  plants  etc

2.  Controls  water  parameters  like  reduction  of  pH  and  gH  which  is  good  for  the  plants.

3.  Nutrients  inbuilt  into  the  substrate  so  pretty  much  the  only  dosing  you  will  do  is  Potassium  and  Some  Micros  for  8-10  months  post  which  the  substrate  gets  depleted  and  nutrients  will  be  have  to  provided  via  water  column  and  you  would  need  to  dose  other  Macro's  (Phosphorus  and  Nitrates)  and  Iron

You  could  still  go  with  an  option  of  using  only  laterite  as  the  entire  base,  You  will  never  have  to  dose  Iron  as  Laterite  is  very  rich  in  it.  But  you  will  have  to  dose  NPK  +  Micro  Nutrients  (Branded  like  Seachem  or  DIY)  to  the  water  column  starting  1st  week  of  setup

I  personally  prefer  Black  Substrate  as  i  feel  it  highlights  the  plants  better.
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:32 am Post subject: Re: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

+1  with  seetharam  rai....

my  personal  experience,  just  a  substrate  like  ADA  or  contro  soil   Rock On   Rock On
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:58 pm Post subject: Re: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

apcmge  :  You  are  getting  your  layering  wrong  !!  Stuff  Like  laterite  and  peat  go  in  the  bottom  most  layer  and  then  must  be  topped  with  an  intert  substrate  like  gravel,  river  sand  or  regular  sand.  Otherwise  all  the  nutrients  will  leach  into  the  water  column  and  you  will  have  problems  !
apcmge
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:35 pm Post subject: Re: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

Thanx  Mortis...  can  u  inform  of  an  ideal  substrate  Smile   ie  if  exists  one  ...

I  saw  JBL  substrate  at  Utekar  fisheries  today   and  few  additives.

Does  adding  additives  help  in  good  growth  of  plants.  If  yes  in  what  way  do  additives  help.  

By  laterite   I  meant  the  red  coarse  gravel  which  we  see  usually  in  LFS  .  Infact  Utekar  fisheries  has  his  plantded  tank  planted  in  this  substrate.

Regards

Sanjay  Dubey
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:02 am Post subject: Re: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

apcmge  wrote  (View  Post):                
Thanx  Mortis...  can  u  inform  of  an  ideal  substrate  Smile   ie  if  exists  one  ...

I  saw  JBL  substrate  at  Utekar  fisheries  today   and  few  additives.

Does  adding  additives  help  in  good  growth  of  plants.  If  yes  in  what  way  do  additives  help.  

By  laterite   I  meant  the  red  coarse  gravel  which  we  see  usually  in  LFS  .  Infact  Utekar  fisheries  has  his  plantded  tank  planted  in  this  substrate.

Regards

Sanjay  Dubey                

that  red  muddy  substance  is  not  laterite
 aquahumus  a  product  of  Aquanature  borivali  west  is  also  pretty  good  and  quit  light  on  budget  and  it  claims  to  control  ph  and  kh  
 ADAs  and  Azoos  of  this  world  are  for  fat  pocket  guys  this  substrates  are  good  for  ph  and  KH  control  but  nutritional  values  are  not  significantly  different  if  compared  for  price  you  pay.
 I  recomend   you  should  visit  one  Mr  Patel  at  Affalable  at  parle  west  this  guy  has  beutiful  tanks(modern  aquascape)  with  inert  gravel.
 In  my  opinion  most  of  the  part  of  this  branded  substrates  is  just  a  "hype"
apcmge
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:36 pm Post subject: Re: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

Hi  Emmanuel

I  have  visited  Affable  and  Nitesh  Patel's  simple  but  engaging  layouts  are  every  aquarist's  dream.  

I  am  talking  about  the  same  red  substrate  which  Mr  Patel  uses.  Whats  it  called  and  do  we  have  to  use  any  additives  with  it.

Can  it  be  used  on  the  top  of  Ada  or  Azoo  or  JBL.

Regards

Sanjay
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:09 pm Post subject: Re: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

Yes  Nitesh  Patels  substrate  is  excellent.  I  have  used  it  in  all  my  planted  aquariums  so  far  without  too  much  of  a  hassle.  It  just  needs  an  extra  bit  of  cleaning  and  may  cloud  the  water  for  a  couple  of  days  but  after  that  it  is  great  !!  Oh  and  it  isnt  completely  inert,  it  has  a  little  bit  of  soil/humus/laterite  in  it.  

What  you  could  do  is  add  a  very  thin  layer  of  laterite  mixed  with  cocopeat  at  the  bottom,  around  1  cm  and  top  it  off  with  the  river  sand  from  Affable,  around  1.5  to  2  inches  and  you  should  be  all  set.  

Plant  on  the  first  day  and  fill  carefully  with  water  so  that  you  dont  disturb  it  and  allow  it  to  stand  with  the  filters  and  lights  off  for  the  first  day.  2nd  day  turn  on  the  filters  (at  a  slow  rate  if  you  can  adjust)  and  3rd  day  onwards  start  with  low  light  and  CO2.  Give  it  a  week  or  so  to  settle  and  then  lightl  rinse  your  filter  sponges  in  tank  water  during  WC  to  get  rid  of  tiny  mud  particles  if  they  are  trapped  inside  and  then  you  should  be  good  to  go  !!

Even  though  I  havent  had  any  ammonia  spikes  from  river  sand,  add  fish  slowly,  observe  and  do  regular  WCs
apcmge
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:58 pm Post subject: Re: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

Thanx  Mortis  for  the  detailed  explaination.  :)

Pls  suggest   where  is  Mumbai  can  I  get  Cocopeat  and  laterite.

Do  i  need  to  throw  away  my  present  Azoo   flower  bed  or  I  can  still  keep  Azoo  and  top  it  with  laterite  ,  Cocopeat  and  then  with  river  sand.

And  would  be  really  thankful  if  you  can  post  pics  or  links   of  your  tank.

Lots  of  confusion  
   Surprised  

Regards

Sanjay  Dubey
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:41 pm Post subject: Re: Which is better substrate Reply with quote

Sanjay  if  you  are  going  with  ADA  no   substrate  is  required
 iam  also  looking  for  laterite  for  my  nano  but  quite  difficult  to  get  in  Mumbai
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: