201. Guest
202. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,802

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryel
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:49 pm Post subject: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

Hi  all  i  have  a  bad  outbreak  of  blue  green  algae  in  my  tank.  Have  read  erythromycin  would  clear  up  this  algae  hence  would  like  to  know  the  procedure  and  where  will  i  get  this  or  does  it  go  by  some  other  local  name  in  India.

Would  the  fishes,  shrimps  die  or  plants  get  adversely  affected.

Thank  You,

Ryel
apcmge
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:28 am Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

Hi  Ryel

One  thing  I  noticed  about  your  tank  when  we  met  is  that  your  tank  was  not  so  heavily  planted  while  lighting  and  dosing  was  intense.

Also  as  far  as  I  remember  ,  your  substrate  was  covered  by  laterite.  Lately  have  you  uprooted  your  plants  ??  This  may  be  causing  leaching  of  nutrients  in  water  causing  algae..  though  this  is  a  wild  guess   :)

Regards

Sanjay  Dubey
Ryel
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:46 am Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

The  top  layer  is  river  sand  bottom  layer  is  humus.  Yes  when  you  came  the  scape  was  in  the  process  of  being  changed  hence  it  was  so  scarcely  planted  however  now  it's  more  of  a  junlgle.
 When  will  u  come  for  the  edler  bachas

Ryel
Kaya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:25 am Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

I  recently  read  somwhere  antibiotics  dont  go  with  invertebrates..  so  caution  on  its  use  mate..  i  dont  think  your  fish  would  get  affected  though..but  yes  dosage  and  fish  size  matters
parthapratim22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:22 am Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

What  I  did  is  a  whole  tablet  kept  in  corner  of  the  tank....its  automatically  melt  and  did  the  job,  but  do  some  reading  on  proper  dosing...in  my  tank  BGA  was  in  its  primary  stage...so  worked  quickly...and  never  came  back...

One  more  thing  want  to  add  is  heard  HM  dosent  work  well  with  this  treatment...also  get  some  information  on  this...
Ryel
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:36 pm Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

@parthapratim22:  Where  will  i  get  erythromycin   and  does  it  go  by  a  local  name  in  India.  Does  it  kill  inverts  ??

Ryel
parthapratim22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:48 pm Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

I  have  never  dealt  with  inverts...

Erythromycin  is  a  common  antibiotic  used  by  us...you  will  get  them  easily  in  Medical  shops...
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythromycin
Ryel
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:35 pm Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

Should  dosing  of  macro  and  micro  be  stopped  when  treatment  with  Erythromycin.  Or  is  there  no  harm.

Ryel
parthapratim22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

What  I  have  read...noting  mentioned  like  this,  if  you  get  something  like  this  in  any  articles  please  let  us  also  know  ...
Ryel
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:56 pm Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

@parthapratim22:  I  am  not  coming  across  anything  regarding  this  but  since  you  used  it  wanted  to  know  did  u  stop  dosing  or  did  u  continue  your  normal  routine  etc.

Ryel
parthapratim22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:03 pm Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

Normal  dosing...I  dose  only  Macro...

Another  factor  also  you  should  note  that  BGA  in  my  tank  was  in  initial  stage,  so  if  I  could  remember  correctly  it  vanished  within  2  days...so  never  thought  that  much  about  Fertz  dosing...
krash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:31 am Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

Hi  Ryel

replies  to  a  few  of  the  queries  you  raised:-

Dosing  strength  of  erythromycin  to  remove  cyanobacteria  (blue  green  algae)  is  2.5  mg  per  liter  of  water.

This  antibiotic  is  quite  safe  on  plants  &  never  heard  of  plants  being  effected.  

The  antibiotic  is  easily  available  across  the  counter  ,  it  is  normally  prescribed  for  few  human  infections.  Just  ask  for  erythromycin  &  they  will  give  you  the  tablets,  there  are  many  companies  that  manufacture  the  drug  &  each  has  its  own  name,  but  they  are  essentially  the  same.
 few  eg-  ERYTHROCIN  -mfg  by  PFIZER,  ALTHROCIN  -mfg  by  ALEMBIC,  

To  the  best  of  my  knowledge  is  safe  on  inverts.  (I  have  read  Its  used  in  few  shrimp  infections)

Few  pointers:-

>>>  Before  using  the  antibiotic  just  make  sure  its  cynobacteria,  few  algae  look  similar.

>>>  As  the  cynobacteria  strands  dislodge  keep  removing  them  with  a  net,  other  wise  your  ammonia  levels  will  spike.

>>>  Many  recommend  a  6  day  treatment,  I  personally  will  recommend  a  8  day  treatment.  Reason  -  like  all  bacteria  they  form  resistance  fast,  &  can  resurface,  many  do  repeat  the  process  &  have  success.  But  in  case  resistant  strains  outgrow  in  number  you  will  have  a  problem.

>>>  Many  claim  the  antibiotic  is  very  safe  on  the  beneficial  bacteria,  but  this  is  a  modified  truth.  Like  many  antibiotics  they  do  have  wide  spectrum  of  activity,  though  predominantly  a  gram  positive  antibiotic,  they  do  have  some  on  gram  negative  bacteria,  most  nitrifying  bacteria  are  gram  negative;  therefore  water  change  will  be  crucial  to  keep  bio-load  under  control.

>>>  Erythromycin  now  a  days  comes  in  mainly  four  chemical  forms  &  each  has  different  solubility  levels,  so  buy  accordingly.  a)Estolate  form  -  Soluble  in  alcohol  &  acetone,  mostly  insoluble  in  water,  b)  Maleate  form-  mildly  soluble  in  water,  poor  solubility  in  alcohol,  c)  Stearate  form  -  poor  solubility  in  water  ,  good  in  alcohol,  d)  plain  erythromycin  -  slightly  soluble  in  water,  good  in  alcohol.

To  know  what  type  is  present  in  the  tablets  check  on  the  reverse  of  the  tablet  strip.

below  is  a  link  to  an  article  that  might  help  you.

http://fishsupplie-s.com/index.php/Bluegreen-algae.html

Regards
Ryel
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:39 am Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

@krash:  Can  the  canister  filter  be  left  on  ???

Ryel
krash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:30 pm Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

@  Ryel,

Yes  you  can.   More  so  if  you  are  using  the  water  soluble  form  of  the  drug.  Few  things  to  note;   Remove  the  activated  carbon  medium,  prior  to  dosing.  
 As  the  Bacteria  dislodges  you  will  see  that  they  might  clog  the  inlet  or  the  medium  tray  inside,  might  have  to  check  &  clean  them.  Might  effect  a  few  beneficial  bacteria  so  will  have  to  do  WC.  
 To  dissolve  the  drug  crush  it  well  &  add  warm  water  little  by  little.  It  will  form  a  paste  like  consistency,  then  to  a  slurry.  This  way  you  can  get  maximum  solubility.

In  case  you  are  using  the  insoluble  form  of  the  drug,  will  be  better  to  switch  off  the  protein  skimmer,  when  your  dosing.  
 Some  also  recommend  to  switch  off  the  canister  filter  when  using  the  insoluble  form  of  the  drug  (estolate  &  the  stearate  form)  as  they  feel  these  tiny  particles  of  the  drug  might  get  trapped  in  the  filter  mediums.  I  am  not  sure  how  true  this  can  be,  but  it  is  a  possibility.  If  you  feel  a  lot  the  drug  particles   are  being  removed  then  for  the  1st  &  2nd  dosage  keep  the  canister  off,  &  then  continue  to  keep  it  on  for  the  rest  of  duration  of  treatment.  
 Another  info  is  in  case  of  fishes  if  we  are  using  the  insoluble  form  of  erythromycin  we  dissolve  it  in  alcohol  (clear  spirit  like  vodka)  &  dose  the  tank,  but  can't  vouch  if  it  can  be  done  in  a  planted  tank.

Hope  this  helps,  TC
fiercedeity
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:40 pm Post subject: Re: Procedure to treat Blue Green Algae with Erythromycin Reply with quote

I  have  an  outbreak  of  BGA  and  am  using  Advanced  Algae  Destroyer  and  it  seems  to  be  working.

There  was  a  lot  of  algae  on  the  soil  and  my  plants  especially  on  glossostigma.  I  am  in  the  second  week  and  the  algae  on  the  soil  is  gone  and  become  pale.

There  no  new  formation  of  algae  on  the  glass,  which  is  another  indication  that  it  is  working.  

There  are  still  a  few  plants  where  the  algae  is  prevalent,  however  it  is  reduced  to  a  great  extent.  Will  keep  you  posted  on  it.

This  is  just  my  personal  experience.

Regards
 Charles
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: