206. Guest
207. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,805

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Got a new turtle, are they too filthy?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Got a new turtle, are they too filthy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
random2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:42 pm Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

Nikhil,

Can  you  post  a  better  snap  of  one  of  those?

It  would  be  better  for  proper  identification.
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:38 pm Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

well!!  quite  a  number  of  replies  for  this  post  :D

parthapratim22  wrote  (View  Post):                

Nick993  wrote  (View  Post):                
Guys  @  Siddarth,Alpha  and  Abhis  -  
 Sorry,  But  the  pic  ive  taken  was  from  the  LFS,  he  had  kept  them  in  the  bottle!!
 and  i  have  Tanks  ready  for  it,  and  ive  already  kept  it  in  one!
 i  was  just  asking  how  big  the  tank  must  be..
 I  have  kept  them  in  a  18x9x9  tank  for  now.  they  ate  and  they  are  happy.  Atleast  its  better  off  with  me,  rather  than  in  bottles  in  the  LFS.
 i  have  a  -
 24x12x12  planted  tank
   which  i  already  have..which  have  fishes  at  all  in  it..  I  have  to  make  a  basking  area  for  it  now  using  rocks  or  something.
 And  im  not  into  any  Animal  cruetly,  i  myself  tried  to  save  them  from  the  LFS,  he  had  3  out  of  which  1  was  DEAD!(IN  THE  DAMN  BOTTLE!)

My  2feeter  has  600lph  HOB,  i  guess  thats  enough  with  regular  water  changes.

@hoo
 Hoo?
 The  owner  of  Hoo's  aqua  life?  
 Will  follow  your  suggestions.thanks                

Nice  to  hear  this!!!  cant  wait  to  ask  you  is  this  again  Gift???!!!???                

No  partha  ,  i  myself  rescued  it  from  the  LFS,  hence  not  a  gift  

Amazonian2010  wrote  (View  Post):                

Hi  Nick,  

Good  that  you  have  saved  them  from  LFS  and  kept  them  in  a  bigger  tank.  I  was  suggesting  one  more  person  in  IAH  and  in  past  as  well  there  were  many  threads  to  read.  Let  me  tell  you  these  animals  can  grow  big  and  very  big  !!!!
 I  had  4  RES  and  they  were  12inch  in  size  and  that  time  I  ran  out  of  my  money  to  buy  a  bigger  tank  for  them.
 I  donated  them  to  Bannerghatta  National  Park  RES  enclosure.

First  thing  first,find  a  vet  and  it  is  very  very  important  to  locate  one  immediately.  The  baby  RES  are  prone  to  many  diseases.  Not  every  vet  is  good  with  reptiles  but  if  you  are  determined  to  get  a  good  one  in  Bangalore  you  may  get  one.

Your  tank  size  is  good  for  them  now  but  use  a  good  structure  to  make  a  Sand  and  stone  area.
 Where  they  will  come  and  rest  and  can  easily  go  back  to  water  if  they  want  to.
 USe  a  big  basking  area  and  use  a  UV  lamp  and  lit  the  lamp  on  regular  interval.Make  sure  your  tank  has  a  secure  cover  and  not  open  to  any  predators.  Alternatively  you  can  place  it  under  sun  but  give  them  a  natural  bask  but  again  be  very  careful  on  the  natural  predators  like  crow  and  cat.
 This  again  can  bring  algae  problem  in  your  tank  so  the  best  approach  is  place  them  in  a  plastic  tub  and  put  water  till  their  shell  is  covered  and  cover  the  tub  with  a  porous  cover  and  place  it  in  sun.
 You  may  also  feed  them  in  the  same  tub  so  it  will  save  your  tank  water  and  leave  them  sometime  in  the  water  as  they  tend  to  poo  in  the  same  water  after  the  food.They  are  messy  eaters  are  loves  to  eat  in  water.  So  once  the  basking  and  eating  and  execretion  is  done  then  throw  the  tub  water  and  dry  it.  Keep  the  RES  immediately  in  the  main  tank.

Food  can  be  little  tricky  to  feed  them  as  they  will  always  prefer  nonveg  over  veg.  You  also  can  use  turtle  sticks  but  don't  feed  them  only  with  that  easy  option.

Use  a  proper  heater  and  it  is  very  important  to  them  as  without  a  proper  temp  control  they  slip  into  the  hibernation  and  which  is  deadly  and  will  kill  your  turtle.

For  disease  and  food  and  other  details  I  am  attaching  a  website  to  look  and  read.

http://www.redearslider.com/

Note  :  Many  other  reptiles  and  animals  also  carry  salmonella,  so  it  is  best  to  practice  some  basic  hygiene.  Rinsing  hands  before  handling  a  RES  and  then  washing  them  after  contact  with  soap  can  be  highly  effective.  

All  the  best.

Thanks  dude,  like  "Hoo"  said,  i  will  try  keeping  it  in  tub,  will  keep  all  your  suggestions  in  mind,and  will  look  to  the  vet  soon.
 and  i  have  went  throught  the  complete  website(  redearslider.com)  thanks  again  
 So  far  its  consuming  those  green  sticks  (taiyo  Turtle  food)

Rohitskapoor  wrote  (View  Post):                

well  done  Nick   Clapping  ,  i  also  don't  mind  a  gift   

Regards,
 Rohit

Come  here  dude,to  mysore,  ill  gift  u  my  monster  pacu!  but  keep  it  in  a  good  home,  noone  wants  to  keep  it   Chuckle  

sumer  wrote  (View  Post):                

they  are  very  nice  pet..
 My  mumma  is  keeping  one  since  last  3  years..
 here  are  some  pics..may  be  it'll  help  you  to  keep  them...

that  is  a  small  halogen  light.They  love  to  bask,  as  hoo  told.  Whenever  we  get  time,  we  keep  him  in  Sunlight  also.
 He  loves  to  eat  cabbage,  boiled  egg  white,  boiled  chicken,  sometimes  earthworms...
 When  i  gifted  him  to  my  mother,  it  was  1  rupee  coin  size..
 and  now  see  him...

Awesome  dude...Looks  good.  and  huge  too..Will  keep  your  tips  in  mind  too.
 Looks  too  good..  i  ve  made  similar  setup  myself,  take  a  look  at  the  pics  Very Happy
 Does  your  tank  or  the  place  near  the  turtle  stink  a  lot?  thats  what  my  mom  is  scolding  me  about  Mad
 washing  hands  seem  to  be  very  critical!

JOKER29  wrote  (View  Post):                

U  have  saved  the  turtles  and  in  the  process  u  saved  your  LFS  guy  also  as  turtle  trade  is  illegal  in  India.  
 They  are  filthy.......   Here  is  a  small  care  sheet
 TYPE:  red  eared  sliders  
 Size:  males  7  -9  inch,  females  10-12inh  or  maybe  more  (shell  dia.
 LIFE  Span:  40  years  in  captivity,  more  in  the  wild.
 Growth  rate  :  Not  sure  depends  on  how  u  feed  them,  feed  them  more  they  will  grow  faster.
 Diet:  When  young  feed  them  meaty  food  i  used  to  feed  them  shrimps  ,  live  carps  and  some  pellets  (but  all  dont  eat  pellets)  
 Tank  spaces:  for  now  i  think  a  20g  will  do  but  once  they  grow  i  think  males  need  a  minimum  of  50g  and  females  around  70g
   if  u  have  good  back  yard  or  a  garden  keep  them  there  ,  make  a  pond  like  structure  or  jus  a  big  enough  tank  with  lots  of  swimming  space  and  a  basking  area.  they  need  a  temperature  of  around  30  to  35c  for  basking  not  very  sure  about  it.  They  need  lots  of  basking  time  or  else  they  may  form  fungus  and  algae  formation  on  and  bellow  the  shell  which  can  leed  to  death......  They  are  great  pets.........  And  wash  your  hands  with  soap  after  everytime  u  touch  them  ,  they  carry  Salmonella  bacteria  which  is  bad  for  human.  I  used  to  love  my  turtles  but  had  to  give  them  due  to  strange  beleifs  in  my  house  Sad   Sad   Sad  ............   Enjoy  your  turtles  

Thanks  joker,
   i  do  have  a  huge  garden  with  a  pretty  medium  sized  pond,  in  which  i  have  some  guppies..but  i  am  scared  of  predators..
 Thanks  for  all  the  info

abhis9  wrote  (View  Post):                

Hi  Nick  thanks  to  save  them....feel  happy  bcz  they  got  a  good  home.  

And  extremly  sorry  for  the  poor  chap  who  was  died  in  a  bottle.

good  luck.....

Thanks  Smile

random2  wrote  (View  Post):                

Nikhil,

Can  you  post  a  better  snap  of  one  of  those?

It  would  be  better  for  proper  identification.

Sure  deepak,  im  putting  up  pictures  now..

@all  above,
 thanks  guys,  its  temperorily  in  tank,  with  a  slope  i  created,  and  lamp  which  has  a  40W  bulb  which  emits  lots  of  heat  and  light,  The  candle  light  type  ones,  maybe  ishoud  decrese  the  wattage?anyway..The  turtles  seem  to  enjoy  basking  all  day  long,  dont  they  like  water?  they  ate  the  green  sticks(taiyo  turtle  food).  From  afternoon  they  are  basking  and  basking..i  thought  they  went  to  hibernation..but  i  moved  them  a  little..they  went  back  into  water  just  for  a  few  mintues..They  havent  messed  up  the  water  yet..
 i  have  kept  water  level  so  that  they  can  easily  gasp  for  some  air..
 suggestions  welcome..

Rohit1076
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:14 am Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

Wow  Nick....  Its  great  that  you  saved  them.
 I  was  looking  for  Turtles  in  Blr,  but  did  not  get  them  at  all.

IMO.....  Well  for  the  size  you  have  the  tank  is  already  too  small.  Need  to  have  a  big  tank.  Possibly  4ftr  &  good  aquascaping  with  rocks,  Drift  wood,  pebbles  &  a  basking  area  as  well.  If  you  can  make  the  sliding  surface  in  the  tank  with  pebbles  for  grip  that  would  be  nice.  Or  for  basking  you  can  keep  them  in  open  area  for  2-3  hrs  everyday  &  B.O.L.  with  them.  Thumb Up
pandianG
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:34 am Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

careful...

is  that  basking  area  dry?  they  need  to  be  dry.  Suggested  to  have  1  inch  of  water  drained.

turtle  will  slide  of  the  slop  you  have  made  with  the  gravel..
pandianG
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:46 am Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

You  can  go  for  100  or  more  watts  H  spotlight  fitted  at  45-60  cm  height  from  the  basking  surface.  if  you  cant  lay  your  hands  on  reptile  UV-day  spot  light.
crazyomzi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:57 am Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

+1  with  Ganesh  Pandian

omkar
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:59 am Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

Rohit1076  wrote  (View  Post):                
Wow  Nick....  Its  great  that  you  saved  them.
 I  was  looking  for  Turtles  in  Blr,  but  did  not  get  them  at  all.

IMO.....  Well  for  the  size  you  have  the  tank  is  already  too  small.  Need  to  have  a  big  tank.  Possibly  4ftr  &  good  aquascaping  with  rocks,  Drift  wood,  pebbles  &  a  basking  area  as  well.  If  you  can  make  the  sliding  surface  in  the  tank  with  pebbles  for  grip  that  would  be  nice.  Or  for  basking  you  can  keep  them  in  open  area  for  2-3  hrs  everyday  &  B.O.L.  with  them.  Thumb Up                

If  u  want  some,  there  are  here,  u  can  come  here  and  savethem   Chuckle  
 Thanks  rohit,  i  know  its  small,  its  just  temperory..
 they  are  the  size  of  50  p  coin..  will  gift  my  friend  (Fellow  hobbyist)  one  :P

pandianG  wrote  (View  Post):                

careful...

is  that  basking  area  dry?  they  need  to  be  dry.  Suggested  to  have  1  inch  of  water  drained.

turtle  will  slide  of  the  slop  you  have  made  with  the  gravel..

Thanks  Ganesh,
 I  changed  the  basking  area  with  pebbles  and  a  sloping  rock  so  that  they  have  more  grip..they  wre  slipping  off  before..now  the  baskign  area  is  dry..and  reduced  a  bit  of  water..
 The  40  W  bulb  is  making  it  very  hot,  even  water  is  hot..Since  it  is  a  lamp,  all  the  light  is  focussed  in  one  area,  i.e  basking  area  Smile
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:12 am Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

Nick
 i  too  have  a  terrapin.  But  he/she  is  an  Indian  terrapin.  which  does  not  grow  fast  takes  a  long  time.  (source  :  IAH  and  net)
 eats  chicken,  boiled  egg  white,  turtle  sticks,  coriander,  Waffle  cones  Chuckle  
 we  keep  it  out  of  the  tank  for  4-5  hours
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:38 am Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

Ram_a_rosi  wrote  (View  Post):                
Nick
 i  too  have  a  terrapin.  But  he/she  is  an  Indian  terrapin.  which  does  not  grow  fast  takes  a  long  time.  (source  :  IAH  and  net)
 eats  chicken,  boiled  egg  white,  turtle  sticks,  coriander,  Waffle  cones  Chuckle  

Nice  man!  Smile
 could  u  post  a  pic  or  something  of  the  tank  and  the  turtle?
 I  thought  indian  ones  are  illegal..
 Doesnt  it  get  scared  outside  the  tank  and  ppl  aroud?  even  if  i  walk,  these  get  scared  and  plunge  into  the  water..
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:28 am Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

Nick

Nice  man!  Smile
 Doesnt  it  get  scared  outside  the  tank  and  ppl  aroud?  even  if  i  walk,  these  get  scared  and  plunge  into  the  water..                

I  have  housed  him  in  a  plastic  tub  with  a  stone  kept  for  him  as  a  basking  area.   the  place  is  lit  up  by  the  sun  from  morning  to  noon.  i  sometimes  keep  it  out  of  the  tank  in  the  nights
 and  you  will  find  it  hiding  in  cozy  places.
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:27 pm Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

Nick

Nice  man!  Smile

I  have  housed  him  in  a  plastic  tub  with  a  stone  kept  for  him  as  a  basking  area.   the  place  is  lit  up  by  the  sun  from  morning  to  noon.  i  sometimes  keep  it  out  of  the  tank  in  the  nights
 and  you  will  find  it  hiding  in  cozy  places.                

Cool!  take  a  pic  of  it,  and  post  it  here  Smile
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:58 pm Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

Just  a  query  :  Can  we  keep  some  fishes  also  with  the  turtle  !!  Also  some  plants  !!  So  they  feel  like  real  nature  home  ....
Amazonian2010
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:25 pm Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

Hi  Abhi,  small  fish  can  be  the  food  for  the  turtles  and  they  have  natural  instincts  to  chase  them  in  the  water  and  catch  them  for  food.  
 I  had  introduced  fishes  in  the  tank  after  a  week  or  so  quarantine  the  fishes  in  a  separate  tank  
 This  is  not  advisable  for  a  regular  practice.  It  can  bring  a  lot  of  parasites  which  can  be  again  lethal  to  your  turtles.  

Sometimes  if  the  fish  size  is  too  big  then  it  may  get  stuck  in  the  turtle  throat  and  can  cause  problem  but  they  don’t  eat  the  fish  by  gulping  though.  I  had  a  personal  experience  on  this  and  luckily  I  was  at  home  and  could  save  the  poor  soul  just  in  time.

Plants  cause  the  issue  by  rotting  in  the  water  as  generally  we  cannot  keep  any  soil  or  other  substrate  for  the  growth  of  them.  So  without  the  proper  substrate  the  plants  die  and  the  water  will  be  bad.
 Basically  the  idea  is  to  give  the  tank  only  for  the  turtles  and  do  everything  for  them.
 I  have  kept  the  tanks  only  for  the  turtles  and  change  water  with  proper  parameters.  Maintain  the  temperatures  and  feed  them  properly  and  fix  a  reptile  os  turtle  UV  light  should  keep  your  pet  happy.
 Calcium  in  the  food  is  must  or  else  they  suffer  from  "Shell  softness  (shekk  becomes  leather  like)"  and  other  diseases.
 On  the  other  hand  it  looks  nice  if  your  little  bigger  turtle  chasing  and  catching  the  feeder  fish  (quarantined)  to  eat.  It  is  off  course  an  exercise  for  them  too.

This  is  solely  my  view  but  I  am  sure  there  are  experts  who  can  help  you  also.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:36 pm Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

These  pets  are  too  difficult  to  keep.  I  have  2  also.  They  are  realy  very  lovely.  I  have  let  them  loose  in  the  house  and  they  even  hibernate.  Remember  to  give  them  a  nice  cool  place  to  hide.  And  if  they  sleep  longer  than  normal,  nothing  is  wrong  BTW...  They  are  fed  daily  and  when  they  come  out  of  hibernation  they  are  extremely  light  and  very  slow.  Keeping  in  water  requires  daily  change  of  water.  They  will  poo  and  pee  in  it.  so  you  need  to  change  the  water   as  soon  as  they  dirty  it.  Its  hard  to  keep.  Surprised
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 pm Post subject: Re: Got a new turtle, are they too filthy? Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                
These  pets  are  too  difficult  to  keep.  I  have  2  also.  They  are  realy  very  lovely.  I  have  let  them  loose  in  the  house  and  they  even  hibernate.  Remember  to  give  them  a  nice  cool  place  to  hide.  And  if  they  sleep  longer  than  normal,  nothing  is  wrong  BTW...  They  are  fed  daily  and  when  they  come  out  of  hibernation  they  are  extremely  light  and  very  slow.  Keeping  in  water  requires  daily  change  of  water.  They  will  poo  and  pee  in  it.  so  you  need  to  change  the  water   as  soon  as  they  dirty  it.  Its  hard  to  keep.  Surprised                

Nice  stories  im  hearing  Very Happy
 Awesome...  Can  u  post  picture  of  them  here?
 Dont   they  Poo  or  pee  when  u  let  them  free  in  the  house?  And  how  long  have  u  succesfully  left  them  in  the  house  like  that?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: