71. Guest
72. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,825

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *Jan'16*
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *Jan'16*
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eemakoochi
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

Location: Manchester of the South India - Cotton City - Coimbatore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:28 pm Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

Can  shoot  the  next  version  of  "Jungle  Book  -  under  water"  in  your  tank   Chuckle
angel_lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:31 pm Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

Good  Job.  You  have  documented  the  tank  progression  very  well.  Thumb Up
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:59 pm Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

Rahul_Discus  wrote  (View  Post):                
Chetan  Good  tank      Thumbs Up   can  you  take  the  picture  form  the  front  side  also.  only  one  doubt  without  co2  how  can  you  keep  the  tank  green...?   Surprised                

thanks  bro!  hope  the  pics  in  my  following  posts  had  all  the  shots  you  wanted  to  see.  As  for  CO2,  it's  not  that  there  is  no  CO2  at  all  in  the  tank.  It  is  present,  but  only  in  natural  forms  -  i.e.  from  fauna  and  the  gas  equilibrium  brought  about  by  the  surface  agitation.  As  you  can  see,  a  green  tank  can  exist  without  a  dedicated  co2  system  in  place.

--

hnabhi  wrote  (View  Post):                
Awesome....   Thumb Up   wish  my  tank  turns  out  this  way  some  day..  currently  tackling  bad  algae  problem  Sad                

glad  u  liked  it  bro.  i'm  sure  your  tank  will  be  just  as  good  and  probably  better  Smile  

--

@  Ram_a_rosi,  nandy,  N3Aro,  Kuna,  angel_lover

Thanks  a  lot  guys!  Your  simple  words  of  appreciation  really  mean  a  lot  to  me.  I  never  thought  the  tank  would  receive  such  a  positive  response.  thanks  a  lot!   Drinking  

--

sujith849  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi,  How  are  you  getting  this  lush  growth  without  co2  and  it  is  also  heavily  planted...  are  you  dosing  excel  or  similar  products  and  Specs+photo  period  please.                

Hey  sujith!  I  am  not  dosing  any  additional  product  (excel  etc).  However  other  than  controsoil,  the  plants  do  have  plenty  organic  manure  available  around  them  ...  i.e.  shrimp  potty   Chuckle  

As  for  photo-period,  the  tubes  are  on  for  about  8-10  hours  daily  (but  usually  only  one  tube).

Though  I  do  not  find  any  reason  to  be  surprised  at  the  plant  growth  in  view  of  two  vital  points  ...

a)  the  plants  in  the  tank  are  mainly  resilient  and  highly  adaptable  species.  The  bulk  of  the  lush  is  contributed  by  the  ambulia,  cobamba,  and  water  sprite  (aquarose)  -  these  highly  evolved  plants  will  grow  even  under  an  ordinary  electric  bulb.  Java  moss  and  dwarf  sagittaria  also  are  quite  high  on  the  evolutionary  scale.  The  only  exception  in  the  tank  is  the  red  tiger  lotus.  It  is  a  delicate  species  in  terms  of  light  requirements,  but  I  find  it  to  survive  well  as  long  as  its  getting  a  good  dose  of  full-spectrum  light.

b)  the  growth  took  about  5  months  to  achieve.  This  is  quite  normal  according  to  the  tank  parameters.  The  purpose  of  a  dedicated  co2  system  is  to  speed  up  the  plant  growth.  But  it  does  not  mean  that  without  a  co2  system  a  planted  tank  cannot  exist.  It  can,  but  we  just  need  to  be  patient  and  let  nature  takes  its  course.

--

Eemakoochi  wrote  (View  Post):                
Can  shoot  the  next  version  of  "Jungle  Book  -  under  water"  in  your  tank   Chuckle                

Haha!  yeah  bro  and  if  there  is  a  role  for  dori  in  the  film  then  we  will  borrow  your  avatar  pic!   Chuckle  

--

Thanks  again  guys  for  all  you  positive  comments.  I  find  it  very  encouraging  and  supportive.  cheers!
Rohitskapoor
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:21 am Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

awesome  growth,  looking  very  nice  ...amazing  work   Clapping  

Regards,
 Rohit
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:30 am Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

Diary  Entry:

The  Bamboo  Plant  Tragedy

During  the  setup  of  this  tank  many  experiences  were  (and  are  being)  learnt.  One  memorable  (rather  unforgettable)  one  was  the  disaster  that  occurred  when  I  experimented  with  putting  in  some  lucky  bamboo  in  the  tank.  It  seemed  like  a  good  idea,  but  it  didn't  go  quite  well.  I  ended  up  losing  quite  a  lot  of  shrimp  -  including  crystal  red  shrimp.  it  turned  out  not  to  be  the  fault  of  the  lucky  bamboo  plant,  but  instead  the  growth  chemicals  used  by  its  makers.

A  good  record  of  the  event  can  be  found  in  the  following  post  of  mine  in  the  IAH  community.  The  community  members  were  supportive  as  ever.  A  fellow-member  named  thebluearatus  was  responsible  for  cracking  the  mystery.

Link:  Lucky  Bamboo  Plant  killed  my  shrimp

P.S.  The  particular  bamboos  that  caused  the  havoc  are  now  happily  residing  next  to  the  aquarium  in  their  respective  vases.  They  are  featured  in  some  of  the  pics  in  page  1.

--

Looking  for  light  on  Lighting

Similarly  during  the  setup  period  I  had  made  another  post  for  the  lighting  of  the  tank.  Got  good  advice  from  the  members  there,  particularly  appreciated  advice  by  jerin111111  on  increasing  the  substrate  thickness.  Didn't  know  back  then  about  the  4cm  rule.

Link:  WTB:  Lighting  Fixture  (2ft)  **(Purchased!  Pics  attached)

--

On  the  Snail  Trail

And  another  post  seeking  advice  during  setup  was  about  snails  -  to  keep  or  not  to  keep.  I  finally  decided  to   introduce  trumpet  snails  and  ramshorn  snails  for  maintenance  purposes.  In  a  month  they  multiplied  quite  well.  But  around  the  time  the  trumpets  were  becoming  an  eye-sore,  I  happened  to  introduce  a  few  assassin  snails.  Within  2  months  they  wiped  out  _all_  of  the  ramshorn  snails,  and  the  surviving  trumpet  snails  adapted  to  the  strategy  of  remaining  largely  underground.

Link:  Snails  in  a  planted  tank  --  to  keep  or  not  to  keep?
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:20 pm Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

Diary  Entry:  Learning  about  planted  aquarium

The  internet  is  the  default  source  for  our  knowledge,  but  it's  rampant  with  contradicting  information.  During  the  setup  I  needed  a  single  point  credible  source  to  act  as  the  foundation  of  my  knowledge,  and  thereafter  use  the  internet  to  build  over  it.  The  credit  of  being  that  source  for  me  would  be  given  to  a  brilliant  book  by  Peter  Hiscock  titled  'Encyclopedia  of  Aquarium  Plants'.  It  is  very  well  written  and  has  stunning  illustrations.  It  really  gets  into  the  science  of  planted  aquariums.

I  had  acquired  this  book  before  the  setup  and  studied  right  through  the  setup  process.  While  the  book  title  implies  it  to  be  a  list  of  aquatic  plants,  it  is  much  more  than  that.  The  initial  chapters  are  a  rich  source  of  theoretical  knowledge,  which  are  followed  by  chapters  on  aquarium  design  layouts.  After  this  do  the  plant  profiles  begin.

This  book  is  excellent  as  a  beginner's  foundation.

Link:  Encyclopedia  of  Aquarium  Plants

Last edited by Chetan3 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:33 am Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

Diary  Entry:  Enter  Marsilea  Hirsuta

Got  some  Marsilea  Hirusuta  for  the  tank  last  weekend.  Figured  it  will  do  well  to  cover  the  foreground  on  the  left  side  of  the  tank.  However  the  combination  of  controsoil  and  trumpet  snails  is  giving  problems  in  keeping  the  plants  rooted.  End  having  a  bunch  of  floaters  everyday.  Let's  see  if  the  saplings  can  form  a  strong  enough  rooting  eventually.  A  good  idea  in  this  situation  would  have  been  to  plant  the  entire  plant  mat  together  without  cutting  it  into  small  bits  with  only  2-4  leaves  per  cutting.
 Marsilea  requires  bright  light  to  propagate  -  check!  However  let's  see  if  the  root  system  can  hold  up  to  the  snail  thoroughfare.

Last edited by Chetan3 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
pranavakira
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:45 pm Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

Did  u  face  any  oil  film  on  surface!!  how  to  take  care  of  it!!  Crying or Very sad
vk_8e
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:22 pm Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

Chetan3  wrote  (View  Post):                
Diary  Entry:  Learning  about  planted  aquarium

The  internet  is  the  default  source  for  our  knowledge,  but  it's  rampant  with  contradicting  information.  During  the  setup  I  needed  a  single  point  credible  source  to  act  as  the  foundation  of  my  knowledge,  and  thereafter  use  the  internet  to  build  over  it.  The  credit  of  being  that  source  for  me  would  be  given  to  a  brilliant  book  by  Peter  Hiscock  titled  'Encyclopedia  of  Aquarium  Plants'.  It  is  very  well  written  and  has  stunning  illustrations.  It  really  gets  into  the  science  of  planted  aquariums.

I  had  acquired  this  book  before  the  setup  and  studied  right  through  the  setup  process.  While  the  book  title  implies  it  to  be  a  list  of  aquatic  plants,  it  is  much  more  than  that.  The  initial  chapters  are  a  rich  source  of  theoretical  knowledge,  which  are  followed  by  chapters  on  aquarium  design  layouts.  After  this  do  the  plant  profiles  begin.

This  book  is  excellent  as  a  beginner's  foundation.

Amazon  Link:  Encyclopedia  of  Aquarium  Plants                   

An  online  book  about  plants   http://www.pagegangster.com/p/W9r8A/01/
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:38 am Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

@vk_8e

Thanks  for  link  bro.  Knowledge  is  meant  to  be  shared.

--

@pranavakira

Oil  film  naturally  occurs  over  any  stagnant  water  body.  Easy  way  to  tackle  it  is  by  having  constant  surface  agitation  in  your  tank.  You  can  accomplish  this  by  tilting  the  outlet  of  your  filter  towards  the  surface  so  as  to  create  ripples.  You  won't  have  oil  film  bothering  you  ever  again.

Reference  Pic:

Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:08 pm Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

Diary  Entry:  Tackling  the  Marsilea  uprooting

So  its  confirmed:  the  marsilea  cannot  hold  on  its  own  in  the  controsoil.  The  combination  of  the  infirm  controsoil,  borrowing  trumpet  snails,  and  curious  shrimp  is  not  giving  the  plant  time  enough  to  ground  itself.  Every  6  hours  there  were  new  floaters.  So  finally  I  had  to  intervene  and  device  a  basic  anchoring  system  for  each  chain.

At  first  a  small  piece  of  wood  was  used.  Had  read  somewhere  that  marsilea  can  grow  on  wood  too  (like  anubias).  However  the  wood  was  not  heavy  enough  to  keep  them  under  the  soil.  Eventually  it  got  pushed  out.  The  final  solution  was  to  use  the  gravel  stones  from  the  other  aquarium  for  the  anchoring.  I  retained  the  wood  pieces,  just  in  case  they  help  in  the  nourishing  the  plant  in  any  way.

Here  are  some  pics  of  the  anchoring  and  the  final  look,  stable  grounding  since  a  week  now  ...

Wood  Anchor:

Wood  +  Stone  Anchor:

Final  Foreground:
 (p.s.  check  out  the  pelia  moss  growth  in  the  background,  has  come  a  long  way  from  the  initial  pics.  The  stone  it  was  tied  to  is  not  visible  anymore.)

Last edited by Chetan3 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:01 pm Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

Thanks  for  sharing  chetan.   Thumb Up  We  need  more  such  examples  of  lush  green  jungles  that  don't  beed  4k  worth  of  CO2  powerstations.  

apart  from  your  outstanding  tank,  what  i  liked  is  how  you  enjoy  wrapping  your  head  around  a  problem  before  you  solve  it!  Fantastic  approach,  very  painstakingly  displayed  too.  dunno  what  deserves  more  praise,  the  plants,  the  endlers  (god,  neon-quality),  or  the  shrimp  (sakura  quality)!
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:06 pm Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

Nice  growth  of  pellia..  Thumb Up  
 They  grow  pretty  fast  provided  the  environment  is  good..
sunealm
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 am Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

Good  setup  Chetan,  would  like  to  come  &  see  your  tank  personally.  Thumbs Up  

Suneal  M
         Numbai
newbee
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:11 pm Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

Wow  beautiful,  without  CO2
 how  did  you  manage!!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: