193. Guest
194. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,810

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Overflow from Display tank to Sump
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Overflow from Display tank to Sump

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cameo
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:01 am Post subject: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

Hi,
 I  have  made  a  53"x18"x15"  display  tank  in  10mm  and  a  42"x10"x15"   sump  in  6  mm.  I  plan  to  make  a  marine  setup.  Currently  both  tanks  are  filled  with  water  and  I  am  testing  them  for  leakeges  for  the  last  few  days.  The  sump  is  6  chambered.  Using  powerhead  of  a  filter  to  push  the  water  up.  The  overflow  is  through  a  3/4th  inch  pvc  pipe  which  ends  with  an  elbow  at  the  back  and  then  continues  down  to  the  sump  through  a  ribbed  flexible  pipe  (the  one  used  under  wash  basins).  I  have  even  added  about  7  kg  salt  to  the  flow  to  check  if  any  of  the  fixtures  I  have  used  are  affected  by  salinity.  Everything  seems  to  be  running  smoothly.  My  concern  is  the  overflow  point  in  the  tank.  I  have  seen  overflow  holes  on  the  back  of  other  tanks  where  the  water  level  reaches  just  above  the  base  of  the  hole  and  immediately  overflows  into  the  drain  pipe.  In  my  case,  the  water  level  is  always  above  the  upper  end  of  the  overflow  hole  and  overflows  into  the  pipe  almost  like  a  whirlpool  intermittently.  I  have  run  the  flow  in  the  existing  setup  for  a  few  days  at  a  stretch  and  thankfully  havent  encountered  choke-ups  or  overflow  from  the  top  so  far.  As  a  precaution,  should  I  replace  the  elbow  with  a  "T"  with  the  3rd  open  end  facing  up.  Will  this  help  prevent  the  water  from  reaching  the  upper-end  of  the  overflow  hole  and  give  me  a  flow  like  I  have  seen  in  other  tanks?  Or  is  it  OK  to  retain  the  elbow  and  let  the  water  overflow  like  a  whirlpool  and  not  worry?
 Also  suggest  the  best  sequential  arrangement  of  media  (bio-balls,  ceramic  rings,  rocks,  sponges,  activated  carbon,  skimmer,  etc)  in  my  sump.  FYI,  the  collection  chamber  has  an  underflow  to  the  next  chamber,  followed  by  series  of  over  and  undeflows  till  the  6th  chamber.
Mayur_m
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:46 am Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

post  some  pics
kzaveri82
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:23 am Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

6mm  seems  be  a  tad  problematic  for  a  sump  this  size.  I  would  never  go  for  anything  less  than  10  mm  on  everything,  including  the  sump  ..  My  marine  tank  is  uses  12mm  glass.  

Thanks
 KZ
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:16 pm Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

PICS  would  help
cameo
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:31 pm Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

@  KZ..  I  always  considered  that  the  partitions  provide  a  lot  of  support  to  the  fron  and  rear  glass.  The  LFS  who  made  my  tank  has  a  sump  bigger  than  mine  in  6mm  operational  for  the  last  2-3  years

Trying  to  upload  pics  since  last  nite  but  not  happening..  Any  other  way  to  show  them  to  u?
abhi_123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:59 pm Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

Interesting  thread.  I  think  ribbed  down  pipe  is  the  culprit.  why  not  use  a  fixed  line  instead  of  flexible  one?

Use  pipe  size  of  1  inches  or  more  instead  of  3/4".  please  consider  flow  rates  of  pipes  before  installing  otherwise  it  will  end  u  with  headache  only.
cameo
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:12 am Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

I  find  the  flexible  pipe  safer  since  any  impact  on  the  drain-pipe  while  cleaning  the  sump  will  not  travel  through  the  flexible  pile  and  harm  the  display  tank  due  to  strain  or  jerk.  3/4th  inch  is  the  lumen  diameter  of  the  nipple  pipe.  The  ribbed  pipe  is  a  good  1  inch  and  does  not  obstruct  the  flow.  In  fact  water  flows  with  a  good  amount  of  air  space  around  it.  I  really  wish  I  could  upload  the  pics  to  help  u  understand  where  I  see  a  problem.  Let  me  try  uploading  again..
cameo
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:17 am Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

I've  uploaded  on  picasa.  Here  is  the  link

https://picasaweb.google.com/117936959073197781650/Tank#

In  the  close  up  pic,  note  the  whirlpool  circled  in  red.  It  is  a  little  bulrred  though
ruchit
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:53 am Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

Hi,

I  have  a  small  doubt.  The  way  you  have  have  overflown  your  tank  will  or  may  create  a  problem  in  a  longer  run.  This  way  of  overflow  may  get  clogged  due  to  lack  of  air  and  may  wet  your  entire  room.  Also  it  will  create  a  flushing  noise  which  I  am  sure  will  irritate  you  gradually.  

Also  if  there  is  a  power-cut  then  the  water-level  of  the  main  tank  will  reduce  very  much  making  your  sump  to  overflow.  Assuming  a  water  limit  would  be  difficult  in  this.

I  attaching  a  image  of  my  tank  with  a  overflow  system  in  it,  if  you  can  modify  it  like  this  I  am  sure  you  will  be  impressed  with  its  performance.

ruchit
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:34 pm Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

Also  there  is  a  chance  of  fishes  being  sucked  in,  as  the  draining  pressure  would  be  very  high.
marc12
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:57 pm Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

In  sump  designs  it  is  important  to  balance  the  input  flow  rate  with  the  output  flow  rate.This  is  where  Pipe  dia  and  sump  pump  flow  rate  come  in.If  you  play  around  with  these  using  simple  gate  valves  you'll  get  it  right.If  you  do  get  the  water  to  flow  at  the  halfway  level  of  the  drain  pipe  you'll  have  issues  with  a  flushing  noise  IMHO  Smile  

Regards,
 Marc.
cameo
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:07 pm Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  inputs  guys.  Ruchit,  I  see  that  you  have  the  over  flow  hole  drilled  at  the  bottom.  The  hole  in  my  tank  is  drilled  on  top  already  and  I  will  have  ro  stick  with  it  for  now.  There  is  intermittent  flushing  noise  now  as  you  said.  Like  you  mentioned  about  clogging  due  to  lack  of  air,  I  thought  about  the  same  soon  as  I  saw  the  whirlpool.  The  idea  regadring  replacing  the  elbow  with  a  "T"  with  one  open  end  facing  up  came  as  a  possible  solution  for  sufficient  air  intake.  Marc,  I  will  look  at  balancing  the  in  and  overflow  rates  once  this  existing  whirlpool  problem  is  plugged.  Let  me  give  it  a  shot  and  I  will  revert  with  the  results.  Meanwhile,  looking  at  the  sump,  please  suggest  the  bset  sqeuential  arrangement  of  media.  Also  give  me  some  good  deals  for  cheap  aragonite  in  Mumbai.

Ruchit,  your  tank  looks  neat.  Let  me  see  it  once  done  up.
ruchit
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:41 pm Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

Yupp  having  a  T  joint  would  solve  the  issue  also  attaching  an  Elbow  would  definitely  help  you  in  maintaining  a  decent  water  level  during  power-cuts.  Something  like  this..

cameo
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:04 am Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

The  hole  is  made  very  close  to  the  top  and  the  elbow  with  its  mouth  facing  up  will  cause  the  water  level  reach  the  upper  edge  of  my  tank..  Want  to  know  if  anyone  is  operating  with  an  overflow  pipe  of  3/4  inch  without  a  problem.
cameo
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:55 am Post subject: Re: Overflow from Display tank to Sump Reply with quote

Hi.  Returning  after  a  long  break  to  my  tank  again.  Had  even  put  it  up  for  sale  sometime  ago  because  I  had  problems  with  storing  it  safely  due  to  a  lot  of  ongoing  civil  work  at  home.  Anyway,  the  tank  has  safely  seen  through  almost  2  months  of  hammering  in  the  house  and  is  back  on  its  stand  now.

For  now  I  will  continue  with  the  overflow  system  that  already  exists.  I  purchased  36  kg  aragonite  and  37  kg  dead  rocks.  Washed  the  dead  rocks  clean  and  left  them  to  dry  out  in  the  sun.  Earlier,  I  had  put  them  in  a  75  litre  bucket  with  water,  salt  and  2  power-heads  running  non-stop  for  2  full  days  immediately  after  they  were  washed.  I  began  seeing  the  water  turning  yellow  and  decided  to  let  the  rocks  be  out  in  the  sun  to  dry  so  that  they  can  get  rid  of  any  unwanted  survivors  in  them.  The  rocks  spent  3  full  days  under  the  summer  sun  but  the  big  rocks  and  some  black  anemones  stuck  on  them  just  wouldn't  show  signs  of  drying.  I  finally  pulled  out  a  black  n  decker  hot  air  gun  and  blew  hot  air  over  all  the  rocks  for  almost  an  hour  till  they  anemones  turned  pale.  I  will  begin  aquascaping  with  the  dry  rocks  around  this  weekend  and  wish  to  clarify  some  doubts  before  I  do.

Each  rock  will  have  its  own  centre  of  gravity  which  I  will  have  to  consider  while  placing  them  with  maximum  stability,  preferably  with  the  smaller  ends  down  to  keep  smaller  footprints.  I  will  ¬†arrange  the  dry  rocks  and  then  add  water  to  the  tank.  My  concern  is  if  the  centre  of  gravity  of  the  long  and  uneven  rocks  shifts  after  they  are  wet  and  cause  the  structure  to  collapse.  Has  anyone  made  structures  with  dry  rocks  before  and  experienced  instability  after  adding  water?

Also,  I  plan  to  buy  a  BM-NAC3+  skimmer.  Anyone  in  Mumbai  selling  it  new  or  used?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: