198. Guest
199. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,752

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Sponge filter query
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Sponge filter query
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Libero
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:09 pm Post subject: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

Hello  Guys  !  
 I  recently  got  a  20Lts  tank  with  9"  X  15"  dimensions  and  have  one  gold  fish  in  it  (2"  size  from  head  to  tail's  end).  I  have  a  artificial  plant,  a  coconut  cave  (DIY)  and  a  sponge  filter  which  runs  with  air  pump.  It's  been  one  month  since  i  have  this  setup.  I  wanted  to  know  if  the  airpump+filter  has  to  run  24x7  ?

Also  is  my  nitrogen  cycle  completed  ?  Water  gets  smokey  when  i  slightly  stir  the  gravels  during  siphon  cleaning.

I  also  plan  to  add  a  snail,  which  snail  do  you  recommend  me,  and  where  can  i  get  it  in  Thane  (Mumbai)  ?

Your  suggestions  will  be  highly  appreciated,  as  i  am  very  new  to  this  hobby  i  recently  developed.
random2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:54 pm Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

Libero,

Your  tank  is  too  small  for  gold  fish.  Please  research  more  about  keeping  them.

And  yes,  you  have  to  keep  the  filter  on  24/7
Libero
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:15 pm Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

Deepak,  Is  my  tank  too  small  even  for  the  small  goldfish  i  have  ?  I  know  i  will  have  to  upgrade  very  soon,  but  will  this  tank  be  good  for  more  3  months  ?

Please  advise,  i  dont  want  my  goldfish  suffer  and  die.
 Is  the  smokey  water  during  siphon  cleaning  normal  ?
vk_8e
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:33 pm Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4753

tip  #  6:  Buy  a  tank  as  big  as  you  can  Smile
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:13 am Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

Congrats  on  the  new  tank.

Could  you  define  "smokey"  ...  preferably  with  a  pic.

Sponge  filters  need  to  be  kept  running  24hrs.  A  gap  of  couple  of  hours  will  kill  all  the  good  aerobic  bacteria  in  it,  resulting  in  your  tank  environment  becoming  toxic.  Alternatively,  you  can  go  for  a  top  filter  (for  physical  +  bio  filtration)  and  it  can  be  switched  off  for  a  few  hours  during  the  day  without  killing  the  aerobic  bacteria  in  it.

For  what  purpose  are  you  looking  to  introduce  snails?
 You  can  consider  apple  snails.  Their  population  does  not  get  out  of  hand,  and  they  like  to  eat  goldfish  poo  -  which  is  broken  down  to  simpler/safer  poo  of  their  own.  They  look  decent  too.

Also  if  your  looking  for  goldfish-friendly  plants,  try  amazon  swords  and  giant  vallisneria.

cheers!
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:53 am Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

@chetan

I  think  u  mean  mystery  snail  buddy.  A  typical  apple  snail  chomps  thru  fresh  plants,  but  only  mystery  snails  (a  type  of  apple  snail  but  smaller)  stick  to  dead  plant  material  and  aqarium  refuse.

Have  u  seen  red  ramshorn  snails  anywhere  in  mumbai,  chetan.  They  would  look  breathtaking  in  your  lovely  tanks!

@Libero
 Goldfish  are  not  good  beginner  fish.  I  would  suggest  fish  like  zebra  danios,  blue  or  golden  gourami,  white  cloud  mountain  minnows,  guppies,  platys  and  hikari  danios  for  a  beginner.  They  are  all  lovely  fish!
Libero
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:13 am Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

Hi  Chetan  3,
                            Thanks  a  lot  for  your  valuable  input.  I  shall  post  my  pic  very  soon.
 OMG,  is  the  sponge  filter  to  be  kept  on  24hrs  ?  i  just  switched  off  at  night,  then  made  it  run  for  3  hrs  in  morning  today  and  again  switched  off  at  9:30am  when  i  left  for  my  office.  This  is  very  sad  and  noobish  on  my  part.

As  all  know,  goldfish  are  very  very  messy  (they  poop  a  lot),  i  required  a  snail  which  can  eat  the  poop  (i  hope  this  is  not  a  myth).

Top  filter  is  something  i  am  not  aware  of...  i  shall  research  on  it,  thanks  for  suggesting  this.

Hi  Romi,
                   Thanks  for  replying.  Yes,  i  know  goldfish  are  not  easy  to  take  care  for  beginners,  but  i  have  already  got  one,  and  i  dont  want  to  give  it  away.  Also  as  you  see,  my  tank  is  not  big  enough  to  fit  any  more  fishes.  I  plan  to  keep  the  existing  one  goldfish  and   take  a  good  care  of  it.
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:34 pm Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

Hi  Libero  welcome  to  IAH
   no  matter  what  filter  you  have  it  should  not  be  put  off  except  during  maintenance  for  few  minutes
 external  filters  like  top  filters  can  be  very  fatal  if  switched  off  for  long  time  due  to  the  tendency  to  dry  up  quickly  and  care  should  be  taken  while  long  power  cuts.
 snails  in  "fish  only  tanks"   doesn't  do  any  good  to  break  down  as  the  poos  will  any  ways  follow  its  process.  consider  snail  as  another  pet  in  the  such  tanks
 as  pointed  by  Deepak  your  tank  is  too  small  for  gold  fish,  they  are  poo  machine  so  bigger  volume  of  water  is  necessary.
 the  filtration  has  its  own  limitations  in  our  tanks  and  one  cannot  expect  it  to  clean  the  tank  debris  100%  so  timely  gravel  cleaning  while  water  change  is  necessary
Libero
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:35 pm Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

Hi  aquariumer,
                                 That  was  a  very  informative  answer  !  Smile  
 As  for  now,  i  have  following  things  to  do:
 1.  keep  filer  on  24  X  7
 2.  Make  25%  water  change  weekly
 3.  Siphon  gravel  every  3  days

I  shall  upgrade  to  a  bigger  tank  very  soon  !!

One  more  thing....  is  my  goldfish  good  to  be  alone  ?  or  does  it  need  a  companion  ?  Also  i  am  still  unaware  of  the  sex  of  my  goldfish.  can  it  be  identified  at  this  stage  ?  it's  barely  2"  in  length.
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:21 pm Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

@romi

yea  man,  to  be  specific  I  would  mean  the  mystery  snail  "Pomacea  bridgesii"  species  among  the  apple  snail  "Ampullariidae"  family.  though  all  lfs  popularly  keep  only  one  type  of  yellow  snail  ...  don't  know  whether  it  is  a  mystery  snail  or  not.  and  anyways,  the  ones  i  had  in  my  balcony  tank  used  to  eat  up  all  plants  except  the  amazon  swords  and  the  vallisneria  (incidentally  the  same  ones  which  goldfish  don't  like).

so  to  keep  it  simple,  this  is  the  pic  ...

I've  not  seen  red  ramshorns  being  specifically  sold  in  any  lfs  tank  in  bby.  however  at  the  inception  of  my  planted  tank  i  had  a  loads  of  dwarf  ramshorns  in  it,  and  a  few  of  them  were  red  in  there.  However  all  them  got  assassinated  after  I  had  introduced  Assassin  snails  in  it.  Razz  ...  too  bad  I  can  no  longer  keep  them.  Though  I  really  like  the  look  the  dwarf  ramshorns  give  to  a  planted  tank.
 And  thank  you  for  complimenting  my  tanks   Smile   Smile  

--

@Libero

Your  welcome.
 Also  from  my  personal  experience  I  can  assure  you  that  the  mystery  snail  eats  goldfish  poop.  It's  a  bizarre  sight  to  see.  Though  you  will  also  need  to  give  the  snail  some  other  stuff  too  eat.  The  goldfish  will  out-compete  it  on  the  floating  fish  food.  Finally  I  would  suggest  that  you  plant  a  few  large  amazon  swords  in  the  tank.  They  will  neutralize  any  excess  poo  in  the  gravel.
 Goldfish  are  social  creatures.  They  like  company  of  their  own  kind.  And  they  can  be  often  seen  looking  for  comfort  from  one  another.  A  lone  goldfish  will  definitely  feel  lonely.
 all  the  best!

Last edited by Chetan3 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:33 pm Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

aquariumer  wrote  (View  Post):                
external  filters  like  top  filters  can  be  very  fatal  if  switched  off  for  long  time  due  to  the  tendency  to  dry  up  quickly  and  care  should  be  taken  while  long  power  cuts.                

Top  filters  (when  containing  sponge  filter  media)  if  enclosed  within  a  dark  environment  (like  within  the  aquarium  lid),  retain  moisture  for  4-6  hours  easily.  You  can  count  the  sponge  within  to  retain  water  for  24  hours  keeping  the  aerobic  bacteria  alive  in  an  extreme  situation.  It's  a  much  safer  option  for  places  that  have  over  2  hours  of  power  cuts.  My  100  litre  tank  placed  in  the  balcony  has  been  running  on  that  principle  for  2yrs+  now.  Often  the  filter  plug  comes  off  and  I  don't  notice  it  for  over  a  day.  But  no  worries  even  then.
Libero
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:43 pm Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

My  tank  pic.[img]http://  image  hosting  png[/img]
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:22 pm Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

The  image  is  not  visible.
 Do  not  add  any  more  thing  in  this  tank,  snail  etc  will  add  to  bioload  to  tank.
 Make  50%  weekly  water  changes,  perform  a  gravel  clean  when  you  take  out  the  water.
 Keep  filter  running  24/7.
 If  possible  go  in  for  smaller  bioload  fish  like  mollies,  guppies,  smaller  tetra's  etc.
 If  water  is  getting  cloudy  when  you  take  out  water,  it  means  that  you  have  too  much  mulm  accumulated  in  your  tank.
 Perform  large  water  changes  with  gravel  cleaning  to  remove  this  mulm.
Libero
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:01 pm Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

Image  not  visible  ?  I  guess  it  is.
 Here  is  a  more  clear  pic:  Can  anyone  help  me  identify  it's  sex  ?

Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:58 pm Post subject: Re: Sponge filter query Reply with quote

that  is  not  gravel  but  stones.  gravel  is  smaller  grain  size.  these  stones  make  it  possible  for  poo  to  go  right  down  to  the  floor  of  the  tank.  this  makes  vacuuming  more  dififcult  than  otherwise.  get  soem  pinhead  size  gravel.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: