198. Guest
199. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,826

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz....
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blade2012
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:28 pm Post subject: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz.... Reply with quote

I  bought  a  fish  tank(24"*12"*12")  last  summer.....along  with  a  basic  power  filter......and  some  gravel(2  inches  thick)......a  couple  plastic  plants.......i  added  water,added  conditioner  and  allowed  the  water  to  cycle  for  two  days....then  bought  4  goldfish(2"  long).....the  fish  did  well  for  a  couple  days  and  started  dying  one  by  one......

the  store  guy  said  it  was  normal  that  the  first  fish  die....so  he  suggested  me  4  dwarf  gouramis,two  tiger  barbs,  two  mollies(white  balloon)  and  4  guppies(  i  was  a  noob  and  still  am).....the  fish  seemed  to  do  quite  well.....then  he  suggested  adding  two  kissing  gourami......added  them......then  first  they  started  getting  sick  and  died....then  the  others.....had  to  buy  a  new  batch.....

i  bought  four  guppies,two  tiger  loaches,  2  silver  sharks,six  mollies......  mistake....all  of  them  died.......

then  bought  2  sharks(black  top  n  silver  bottom)  n  some  other  fish(ting  ping  was  the  name  he  mentioned)....the  store  guy  said  that  they  were  hardy......so  they  were.....lived  for  six  months......

n  then  after  six  months,  i  asked  him  if  i  could  add  some  more  fish....n  he  told  it  was  ok  n  suggested  2  pink  sharks(i  could  see  their  eyes  were  transparent),two  kisssing  gourami(relatively  small  ones)......i  added  them.....the  next  day  the  pink  sharks  eyes  were  missing...gone....just  hollows(wtf).....(ofcourse  they  died  n  so  did  the  kissing  gourami  n  one  ting  ping(so  to  speak)......

so  i  bought  another  ting  ping(a  small  single  one)......n  the  fishes  have  been  doing  well  for  three  months......

did  i  do  wrong  somewhere???????compatibility????conditioning?????anything  else????

i  am  afraid  to  add  more  fish......

what  do  i  do?????  should  i  convert  it  into  a  planted  one  so  the  fishes  have  a  comparatively  better  habitat......

(i  do  20  %  water  changes  every  week)

need  help  pleaaaassssseeeeeeeee....
 thanks  in  advance......

Chikoo.....
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:15 pm Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

Blade2012
   wrote  (View  Post):

did  i  do  wrong  somewhere???????compatibility????conditioning?????anything  else????
 Chikoo.....                

Everything.

Blade2012  wrote  (View  Post):                

Chikoo.....

Rightly  so.

what  do  i  do?????  should  i  convert  it  into  a  planted  one  so  the  fishes  have  a  comparatively  better  habitat......
 Chikoo.....

Search  these  key  words  on  IAH  and  read  up  on  them.

1)  Nitrogen  cycling
 2)  Fish  compatibility
 3)Fish  stocking  density.

Don't  worry.  These  are  beginners  mistake  which  everybody  commits.  Only  wish  you  had  asked  these  questions  last  summer.

Regards,
crazyomzi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:19 pm Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

at  first  update  your  location  in  your  profile.  this  will  help  iah  hobbyist.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4753

go  to  this  link,  one  of  the  hobbyist  here  had  posted  it  here.
 i  have  saved  it  as  a  bookmark  and  read  it  again  and  again  just  to  keep  something  in  mind.

some  important  points:

do  not  over  crowd  your  tank,  and  dont  buy  fish  as  per  LFS  suggestions  as  most  of  the  times  they  want  to  make  money.

have  patience,  you  cannot  do  anything  good  in  this  hobby  without  it.

if  some  of  your  fish  are  there  for  6  months  doesnt  mean  that  u  can  introduce  new  tank  mates.  you  have  to  check  whether  your  current  stock  can  go  with  its  new  tank  mates.

if  u  see  any  problem  with  the  fish  u  are  buying,  dont  buy  those.  keep  newly  bought  fish  in  a  separate  tank  for  a  couple  of  week  to  see  if  there  arise  ne  problems.  if  the  new  fish  u  buy  is  diseased  and  u  introduce  them  to  your  main  tank,  then  u  are  gone,  every  fish  will  get  diseased  and  die..

do  read  the  tips  in  the  link  provided,  they  are  very  useful..........

keep  us  updated

omkar
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:47 pm Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

I  feel  that  you  are  not  experienced  enough  to  differentiate  between  a  healthy  fish  and  a  diseased  fish  in  the  fish  store.  so  what  might  have  happened  is  every  time  you  bought  a  new  stock,  some  of  them  might  have  infections   which  could  have  spread  to  others  in  your  tank  and  killed  them  one  by  one.  problem  also  could  be  that  every  time  you  do  a  complete  cleaning  of  the  tank,  the  new  water  might  have  contained  chlorine.
    Also  there  is  some  thing  called  compatibility  of  fishes..  that  is,  some  kind  of  fishes  cant  be  kept  with  certain  kind  of  fishes..  and  some  fishes  can  be  kept  only  with  certain  kind  of  fishes  and  so  on..
    some  kind  of  fishes  must  be  kept  in  groups,  and  some  must  be  kept  singly,   others  don't  care  how  many  you  keep..
      You  need  to  do  a  lot  of  reading  on  fishes  and  aquarium..  good  thing  is  you  have  come  to  the  right  place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:03 pm Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

First  of  all  change  your  LFS.  
 Main  problem  with  your  tank  is  lack  of  nitrifying  bacteria  in  your  tank  which  can  convert  harmfull  ammonia  generated  by  your  fish  into  less  harmfull  nitrates.
 Do  not  add  anything  to  this  tank,  make  30%  water  changes  every  week
 Gather  more  info  on  suggested  topics
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:23 pm Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

Please  post  a  picture  of  your  tank,  I  want  to  see  which  fish  is  tingping.  LFS  people  often  give  creative  name  to  fish,  but  this  name  is  totally  new.
 The  sharks  and  kissing  gourami  are  not  fit  for  this  tank,  they  grow  too  big.
 Ideal  fish  for  your  tank  would  be  molly,  guppy,  swordtails,  smaller  barbs,  tetra.
 Please  note  that  many  fish  have  long  life,goldfish  routinely  live  upto  10  years.  
 There  are  very  few  fish  that  live  for  less  than  1  year.
Blade2012
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:07 pm Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

here.....the  pics......i  don  even  think  the  "ting  ping"  is  a  quality  fish......he  ripped  me  of  100  bucks......but  its  fish  that  survives  in  my  tank......  Smile  .....
Blade2012
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:21 pm Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

Nidhi  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  feel  that  you  are  not  experienced  enough  to  differentiate  between  a  healthy  fish  and  a  diseased  fish  in  the  fish  store.                

true......
 HOW  THE  HELL  DO  U  IDENTIFY  A  HEALTHY  FISH......especially  the  small  ones....  Sad  ......

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                

First  of  all  change  your  LFS.                

YESSSS......but  first  i  gotta  verbally  screw  him.....TO  MY  LFS>>>>  Thumb Down  .........f  u.........
 and  one  more  question....is  make  my  hobby  a  good  place  to  buy  livestock????my  LFS  rips  me  off.....

crazyomzi  wrote  (View  Post):                

at  first  update  your  location  in  your  profile.  this  will  help  iah  hobbyist.
 omkar

done....

crazyomzi  wrote  (View  Post):                

if  some  of  your  fish  are  there  for  6  months  doesnt  mean  that  u  can  introduce  new  tank  mates.  you  have  to  check  whether  your  current  stock  can  go  with  its  new  tank  mates.

if  u  see  any  problem  with  the  fish  u  are  buying,  dont  buy  those.  keep  newly  bought  fish  in  a  separate  tank  for  a  couple  of  week  to  see  if  there  arise  ne  problems.  if  the  new  fish  u  buy  is  diseased  and  u  introduce  them  to  your  main  tank,  then  u  are  gone,  every  fish  will  get  diseased  and  die..

omkar

got  your  point......thanks.....BUT  HOW  DO  U  IDENTIFY  A  SICK  DISEASED  FISH  ??????  Crying or Very sad  .......

rasikanayak  wrote  (View  Post):                

Blade2012
   wrote  (View  Post):

Chikoo.....                

Everything.

Chikoo.....

Rightly  so.

Chikoo.....

Search  these  key  words  on  IAH  and  read  up  on  them.

1)  Nitrogen  cycling
 2)  Fish  compatibility
 3)Fish  stocking  density.

Don't  worry.  These  are  beginners  mistake  which  everybody  commits.  Only  wish  you  had  asked  these  questions  last  summer.

Regards,

read  everything....what  do  i  do.....i  do  have  4  fish  already.......
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:40 pm Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

I  can  see  two  pangasis  catfish  (tiger  shark),  however  I  don,t  see  any  kissing  gourami  there.
 Can't  really  place  other  two  fish,  pic  not  very  clear.
 Return  all  fish  if  possible,  go  in  for  livebearers  in  this  tank.
 This  tank  already  overstocked,  do  not  add  more  fish  unless  you  are  replacing  them
 Do  not  go  in  for  anyline  online  store
Blade2012
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:45 pm Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  can  see  two  pangasis  catfish  (tiger  shark),  however  I  don,t  see  any  kissing  gourami  there.
 Can't  really  place  other  two  fish,  pic  not  very  clear.
 Return  all  fish  if  possible,  go  in  for  livebearers  in  this  tank.
 This  tank  already  overstocked,  do  not  add  more  fish  unless  you  are  replacing  them
 Do  not  go  in  for  anyline  online  store                

The  Gouramis  are  dead.....they  died  along  with  the  pink  sharks.....
 now....there  are  two  sharks  n  two  other  fish  whose  real  name  i  wanna  know.....
   Thumb Up  ......
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 pm Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

The  "Ting  Ping"  is  a  tinfoil  barb,  grows  big,  almost  half  the  size  of  your  tank.  The  Pangasius  Catfish  (The  black  and  silver  shark)   will  grow  twice  your  tank,  and  wont  wait  for  you  to  get  a  bigger  tank.  

Do  what  others  have  been  telling  you,  go  for  small  livebearers  :  Guppies  mollies  and  platies.
 And  some  general  tips  in  the  hobby:

If  the  LFS  calls  any  fish  weird  names  [ex:  ting  ping,  ramarosi,  etc]  ,dont  even  give  two  hoots  to  his  advice.
 Never  buy  fishes  that  have  just  arrived  at  the  LFS  or  fishes  from  a  tank  containing  dead  specimens.
 Never  get  the  poor  chap  you  felt  sorry  for  because  he  had  a  twisted  tail  or  was  missing  an  eye  [  Chuckle  ]
 Internet  is  your  best  friend  Smile
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:11 pm Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

@rasik  i  must  say  you  r  indeed  a  great  writer  yaaar  Chuckle   ROFL  
 @blade:every  good  fish  keepers  have  gone  through  this.....  it  is  only  then  we  start  reading....meanwhile  after  you  have  read  the  basics  just  keep  a  pair  of  gold  fish  normal  ones  and  buy  a  algae  scrubber(i  would  have  asked  for  an  algae  eater  but  all  algae  eaters  grow  quickly  and  they  cause  trouble  after  that  you  will  learn  that  latr).....  and  learn  how  to  keep  them  and  make  sure  u  spend  atleast  some  tym  observing  them.
JOKER29
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:21 pm Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

Blade  your  tank  is  very  small  for  the  fishes  in  the  tank  that  i  can  see......  Plz  return  all  those  fishes  and  if  i  were  u  i  would  go  for  some  livebearers  like  ashwin  mentioned..........  Even  i  learnt  the  hard  way  in  the  begining  it  is  always  good  to  do  research  on  what  u  want  to  buy  and  see  if  it  is  suitable....  All  the  best  Thumb Up
freakyboyz
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:44 pm Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

Hey  Follow  ┬áthe  steps  
 cheers

Ashok

SRaghuvanshi:  DO  NOT  POST  COPYRIGHTED  MATERIAL
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:04 am Post subject: Re: 30+ fishes DEAD under a year....damn......need help plzz Reply with quote

@freakyboyz  :  
 Just  giving  the  source  link  could  have  sufficed.  That  article  has  a  copyright  belonging  to  Aquarium  Advice,  that  could  get  IAH  in  trouble.
 This  is  the  link  in  case  you  have  misplaced  it:  http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/131/1/Guide-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

P.S.:  I  DONT  want  to  sound  rude,  but  it  is  not  good  to  claim  others  works.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: