209. Guest
210. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,808

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - E. canarensis update - 1st Successful spawning in captivity
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

E. canarensis update - 1st Successful spawning in captivity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leopoldi
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:06 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Put  som  pictures  out  there....
Vin
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:29 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Way  to  go,  Tim!      Very Happy  

Interesting  to  note  that  Tim's  pair  laid  pinkish  eggs.    The  eggs  I  observed  in  the  wild  were  black  and  a  little  smaller  than  the  ones  in  the  pics  that  Tim  has  sent  me.      Possibly,  as  he  expalined  (in  an  offline  email),  from  the  large  amounts  of  frozen  bloodworms  the  breeding  pair  were  fed.  

Vin
 Los  Angeles
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:51 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Thats  great  news  Tim!  Thumb Up  
 Congrats!    And  good  luck  to  raise  the  young!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:59 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Vin  wrote:                
Way  to  go,  Tim!      Very Happy  

Interesting  to  note  that  Tim's  pair  laid  pinkish  eggs.    The  eggs  I  observed  in  the  wild  were  black  and  a  little  smaller  than  the  ones  in  the  pics  that  Tim  has  sent  me.      Possibly,  as  he  expalined  (in  an  offline  email),  from  the  large  amounts  of  frozen  bloodworms  the  breeding  pair  were  fed.  

Vin
 Los  Angeles                

Hi  Vinny,
 Any  signs  of  spawning  in  your  group  of  canarensis.  The  base  colour  almost  appears  golden  in  Tim's  pictures.  Did  you  notice  such  colors  among  the  spawning  fishes  in  the  wild  or  is  that  just  the  camera?
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:02 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

The  best  I've  seen  them  try  is  in  Adip's  tank,  where  two  of  them  were  wriggling  and  dancing  over  the  gravel  under  the  overhang  of  a  piece  of  driftwood.

Now  I  guess  he'll  have  to  add  a  few  pieces  of  smooth  flat  rock  into  the  tank.
joyban

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:19 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  ,  

but  where  are  the  Pics  ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:35 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

here:  http://www.petfrd.com/forum/showthread.php?p=241325
gokulin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:22 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Thats  an  awsome  news  to  see  this  fish  spawning......

Congrats  Tim    Thumb Up
joyban

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:26 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Tim,

I  have  read  your  post  @  http://www.petfrd.com,  but  is  it  a  good  idea  to  have  so  many  fishes  in  the  same  aquarium?  Are  we  endangering  the  eggs  or  fry  in  that  case?    Specially  when  it  is  so  difficult  to  breed  them  in  captivity  ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:34 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Sujoy,

The  very  fact  that  he's  got  to  spawn  the  E.canarensis  is  commendable.

With  no  one  succeeding  in  spawning  them  before,  I  guess  he's  right  in  having  a  large  community  in  his  tank.

He  can  now  separate  the  parents  to  their  own  tank  and  get  going.

Now  Tim's  got  some  idea  of  what's  needed  to  trigger  the  spawning  (temperature  drop  -  temp  rising,  feeding,  water  change),  I  guess  from  here  on  it  will  be  a  progression  to  perfection.
Tim
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:17 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hello,  sorry  about  the  delay  in  getting  back  to  you

Here  is  a  brief  history:

I  have  a  large  (220  gallon)  tank  overpopulated  with  20  E.  Canarensis  and  7  Puntius  Denisonii,  the  Canarensis  are  two  groups  the  oldest  is  now  two  years  old  and  the  younger  group  is  about  a  year  and  a  half  (I  acquired  them  a  year  ago,  and  they  were  very  small,  presumably  from  the  Dec  2004/Jan  2005  season.)    A  pair  formed  from  the  older  group  and  had  an  earlier  unsuccessful  spawn  about  6-8  weeks  ago.

This  time,  the  water  temperature  had  been  78F  for  some  time,  and  we  had  a  week  of  warm  weather  which  caused  the  temp  to  perk  up  to  83F,  this  was  followed  by  some  initial  courtship  behaviour.    Noticing  this  I  made  two  significant  water  changes  (2x25%)  and  fed  them  heavily  with  Mysis…..the  water  changes  were  made  on  Thursday  and  Friday,  by  Saturday  afternoon  the  Oviduct  was  visible  on  the  female,  and  nest-building  had  begun  in  a  manner  very  reminiscent  of  E.  Macalatus.    Sunday  evening  the  spawn  occurred  late  in  the  day.

I  posted  some  pics  over  on  petfrd.com,  and  will  post  some  here  soon  as  well.....all  is  still  well  with  the  brood  and  the  parents  are  constantly  protecting  and  fanning  the  eggs.

I  am  also  genuinely  concerned  about  the  tankmates  especially  when  the  fry  hatch....I  have  another  tank  ready  (full  of  devario  metaegensis  fry)  which  will  need  to  find  a  new  home  Sad  ......but  I  haven't  had  the  courage  to  disturb  the  happy  family  yet......

From  what  I  have  seen  so  far  Vin  is  absolutely  correct  that  the  parents  can  and  will  effectively  protect  the  nest,  however  after  hatching  I  may  need  to  give  the  family  a  new  home.....any  thoughts?

Tim
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:31 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

It's  not  just  the  parents,  you  too  will  have  to  keep  a  constant  vigil  to  protect  the  fry.  Very Happy  

The  P.  denisonii  will  be  the  ones  to  watch  out  for.

Can  you  put  in  a  divider,  and  confine  the  P.  denisonii  and  the  as  many  other  E.canarensis  to  one  end  of  the  tank?

Just  a  thought,  I  guess  you  still  have  a  few  hours  to  go  before  the  fry  hatch  and  become  free  swimming.
Tim
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:09 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Yes,  I  am  currently  debating  just  what  to  do,  I  guess  there  are  4  options,  1.)  Move  parents  and  fry  to  separate  tank
 2.)  Move  fry  to  speparate  tank
 3.)  Put  in  Divider  of  some  sort
 4.)  Do  Nothing  and  see  what  happens.

I  am  inclined  to  wait  and  let  the  hatch  happen  and  see  if  any  predation  occurs,  if  so,  Immediately  move  the  fry  to  a  safe  tank.....although  I  realize  that  I  do  this  at  some  risk..

Vin  advises  (and  I  tend  to  agree)  that  it  is  probably  more  interesting  to  see  the  natural  interaction  between  parents  and  fry,  and  see  what  happens.......additionally  that  addition  of  a  divider  would  be  far  to  stressful  to  help  the  situation......obviously  the  safest  thing  to  do  would  be  to  remove  the  eggs  and  hatch/rear  the  fry  separatly,  however  I  think  we  stand  to  learn  more  to  leave  the  parents  with  the  fry  for  now  even  at  the  risk.
Tim
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:08 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Happy  to  report  that  after  a  very  helpful  telephone  conversation  with  Vin  we  decided  to  bubble  the  eggs  in  their  own  tank  well  out  of  harm's  way....  Thumbs Up  ....I  have  put  some  pictures  up  on  petfrd.com  (I  am  a  html  newbie)  of  the  female  coloration  and  my  new  "pet  rock"  in  it's  new,  rather  austere  surroundings......now  the  work  starts,  so  we'll  hope  for  the  best!!!!

I'll  be  sure  to  keep  you  all  posted,  in  case  there  is  anything  I  missed,  pls  also  check  the  petfrd.com  thread  as  well....[/img]
Vin
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:44 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Not  to  be  outdone  by  reports  of  spawnings  100  miles  to  the  south,  by  the  Mexican  border,  there  was  some  spawning  in  my  canarensis  tank  as  well.    Relax...it  wasnt  the  canarensis.    It  was  a  group  spawning  and  feeding  of  Roman  proportions  by  the  dithers  -  Rasbora  daniconius.    The  females  were  plump  like  mollies  and  they  were  splashing  and  spraying  eggs  everywhere.    In  the  heat  of  the  moment,  a  gravid  female    jumped  a  good  10  feet  and  went  splat.    I  picked  her  up  and  she  pasted  my  hand  full  of  eggs.    Back  in  the  tank  and  mobbed  by  4  smaller  males,  she  was  spawning  again  in  10  minutes  -  the  power  of  instinct!    It  was  really  interesting  to  watch  the  E.  maculatus  hover  about  waiting  for  an  egg  spray,  which  they'd  snatch  up  rapidly.    The  18  or  so  E.  canarensis  in  the  tank  (180  gallons  or  about  680  liters)  would  swim  up  in  a  tight  school  every  few  minutes  or  so  to  snatch  a  few  eggs  but  they  were  certainly  not  as  tuned  in  to  the  egg-laying  process  as  the  E.  maculatus.    This  is  in  keeping  with  behavior  observed  in  the  wild.  

As  for  the  E.  canarensis  in  my  tank,  I  only  have  2  adults  that  are  of  breeding  age  and  they  are  both  females.    The  rest  are  barely  a  year  and  a  half  old.    I  dont  expect  any  spawning  in  my  group  for  another  6  months  or  so.    These  guys,  like  the  Paretroplus  of  Madagascar,  need  to  be  at  least  2  years  old  before  they  spawn.    Some  of  the  Paretroplines  take  3  or  4  years  before  they  are  ready.    

The  formula  for  success  with  E.  canarensis  is  getting  much  clearer  to  me  now.    Large  tank+large  group  of  canarensis+frequent  large  water  changes+adult  fish  of  at  least  2  years  of  age+heavy  feeding+mild  temperature  fluctuation  ala  Tim  =  spawn.    

And,  oh  yeah,  I  plan  on  donating  or  bar-b-que-ing  the  Puntius  denisonii  before  my  canarensis  are  ready  to  spawn.    The  E.  maculatus  too.    I  may  even  replace  the  R.  daniconius  with  some  Chela  or  a  tiny  Rasbora  species  to  act  as  dithers.    P.  denisonii  are  attractive  and  hardy  but  are  NOT  good  tank  mates  for  spawning  canarensis!    

So  stay  tuned.      Smile  

Vin  
 Los  Angeles
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: