48. Guest
49. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,836

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Requesting For some Help for my First Cichlid Tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Requesting For some Help for my First Cichlid Tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sagar4
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:52 pm Post subject: Requesting For some Help for my First Cichlid Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

I  need  some  suggestions  on  setting  up  my  new  tank  for  Cichlid.  My  tank  dimension's  are  42"  *  16*  16*.  I  am  planning  to  buy  eco-complete  cichlid  substrate   and  an  Eihem  2215  filter  for  my  tank.I  want  to  keep  cichlid  varieties  which  does  not  grow  much  in  size  yet  they  should  be  colorful  enough  to  catch  any  ones  eye   (Please  forgive  me  if  i  am  very  demanding)   Smile  .As  i  am  a  novice  in  this  field,  please  do  not  mind  if  I  am  asking  questions  which  might  look  silly  to  you.I  see  that  IAH  website  has  a  huge  number  of  experts  who  actually  give  these  solutions.Below  are  the  points  I  require  to  know  

1.What  type  of  Lighting  I  should  be  using  for  this  tank?  Its  wattage  etc.
 2.Recently  I  have  bough  rocks  from  Mython.  I  need  some  examples  of  rockscaping  which  could  be  done  by  a  novice  like  me  and  which  would  look  good  keeping  in  mind  of  my  tank  size.I  do  not  mind  copying  from  anyone  as  this  is  the  first  time  I  am  trying  to  do  this.If  possible  I  would  love  to  see  the  snaps  I  can  follow.
 3.I  would  like  to  know  about  the  types  of  fishes  and  their  number  I  could  keep  keeping  in  mind  my  preferences  about  the  smaller  ones  and  my  tank  size
 4.what  type  of  solutions  shall  I  need  to  use  for  a  cichlid  tank.Like  I  use  rid  All  for  my  freshwater  aquarium.
 5.  Any  tips  and  maintenance  faqs  if  you  can  share  in  general  in  regards  to  Cichlid  tank  will  be  welcomed.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:38 pm Post subject: Re: Requesting For some Help for my First Cichlid Tank Reply with quote

In  a  fish  only  tank  lighting  is  not  very  important,  just  have  enough  light  for  you  to  view  fish.
 A  tank  of  Malawi  cichlids  would  look  nice  in  your  tank,  they  are  colorful  and  not  very  hard  to  keep.
 L  carelous,  peacocks  etc  are  easily  available  and  are  very  colorful.
 Your  tank  maintenance  regime  will  depend  upon  which  type  of  cichlids  you  are  going  to  have.
 Some  more  suggested  reading  are.

Suggested  setups:  
 http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/quick_reference_list.php

How  to  setup  cichlid  aquariums
 :  http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_setup_list.php

These  were  one  of  my  Cichlid  tank;
 Lake  Malawi  Tank:  
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13624&highlight=

Jewel  Tank
 :  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16494&highlight=jewel*

Oscar  Tank:
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22519&highlight=
vigneshk
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:28 pm Post subject: Re: Requesting For some Help for my First Cichlid Tank Reply with quote

Great  suggestions!
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:47 pm Post subject: Re: Requesting For some Help for my First Cichlid Tank Reply with quote

Hey

if  u  are  going  for  africans  
 u  can  try  tanganayikans  or  malawians.
 i  have  a  malawian  too  ,  tanganayikans  are  expensive   so  i  din  go  for  them  and  little  difficult  to  keep  than  malawians.
 heres  a  pic  of  it,  
 http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/bhojnikhil/DSC_0262.jpg
 now  it  has  loads  of  more  fish  in  it..
 check  out  this  link  for  images  of  fish..
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=27352&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=6ft+transformation&start=60

or  u  can  go  for  americans,  these  fishes  can  grow  in  to  monsters  and  need  a  lot  of  space...i  currently  have  mixed  tank  of  these  cichlids(texas,parrots,oscars)  6  footer.

all  my  tanks  are  lowtech.
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:59 pm Post subject: Re: Requesting For some Help for my First Cichlid Tank Reply with quote

tanganyika  cichlids  are  pretty  costly  compared  to  Malawi  cichlids  ..  
 go  through  the  forum  you  will  get  more  ideas  ..
Sagar4
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:20 pm Post subject: Re: Requesting For some Help for my First Cichlid Tank Reply with quote

Thanks  for  all  the  suggestions.  I  really  appreciate  it.
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:58 am Post subject: Re: Requesting For some Help for my First Cichlid Tank Reply with quote

iv  been  keeping  cichlids  in  my  turtle  tank  since  4years  (no  deaths)  its  bare  bottom  with  a  top  filter.  most  of  my  cichlids  are  breeding  (means  they  are  happy).  all  i  do  is  weekly  80%  water  change  and  have  kept  a  small  calcium  carbonate  stone  in  my  top  filter....   they  dont  need  thatmuch  care  unless  you  want  the  tank  to  look  good.
Sagar4
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:37 pm Post subject: Re: Requesting For some Help for my First Cichlid Tank Reply with quote

Now  I  have  everything  ready  from  aquarium  substrate  to   Filter  and  light  and  I  am  on  the  verge  of  starting  the  setup  but  I  have  a  question.  If  any  one  can  answer  me

Recently  I  went  to  Maithon  Dam  and  was  able  to  bring  rocks  from  the  river.Most  of  them  are  medium  and  small  in  size.Today  I  have  kept  the  rocks  in  a  tumbler  under  water.Is  there  any  concern  if  i  introduce  the  rocks  in  my  aquarium  along  with  the  African  substrate  or  do  i  need  to  do  any  kind  of  test  on  the  rocks  before  I  introduce  them  to  the  tank.I  plan  to  keep  Tanganyika  cichlids.  Please  suggest.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:37 pm Post subject: Re: Requesting For some Help for my First Cichlid Tank Reply with quote

Sagar4  wrote  (View  Post):                
Now  I  have  everything  ready  from  aquarium  substrate  to   Filter  and  light  and  I  am  on  the  verge  of  starting  the  setup  but  I  have  a  question.  If  any  one  can  answer  me

Recently  I  went  to  Maithon  Dam  and  was  able  to  bring  rocks  from  the  river.Most  of  them  are  medium  and  small  in  size.Today  I  have  kept  the  rocks  in  a  tumbler  under  water.Is  there  any  concern  if  i  introduce  the  rocks  in  my  aquarium  along  with  the  African  substrate  or  do  i  need  to  do  any  kind  of  test  on  the  rocks  before  I  introduce  them  to  the  tank.I  plan  to  keep  Tanganyika  cichlids.  Please  suggest.                

Just  wash  them  &  use  them.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: