27. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,846

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - CREE Setup
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

CREE Setup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Lighting for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:18 pm Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

Nanomania  the  light  output  per  watt  the  LED  floodlights  is  about  the  same  as  that  of  an  ordinary  T5  tubelight.  People  have  tested  them
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:43 pm Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

WPG  is  a  beginer  rule.  and  lumens  per  watt  is  also  not  needed.  the  most  important  thing  is  the  intensity  and  PAR....  that  makes  big  difference.
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:05 pm Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

abhi_123  wrote  (View  Post):                
Just  for  Comparison  

A  Bridgelux  48  x  3w  fixture  with  mean  well  driver  &  80  degree  optics  will  cost  u  178usd.  The  same  fixture  with  Cree  led  will  cost  u  roughly  278  usd.  Drivers  are  meanwell  LPF-60D-48.  Both  fixture  are  dimmable.

If  i  am  able  to  save  100  usd  just  for  a  sake  that  i  m  not  branded  fellow  i  find  its  a  clever  deal  when  i  am  assuming  that  all  leds  will  last  for  only  4-5  years  with  me  after  that  i  have  to  go  for  a  new  fixture.                

Where  u  get  them??
abhi_123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:20 pm Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

@nanomania  From  china.  i  am  ordering  them  again  if  u  r  interested  let  me  know.
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:53 pm Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

Just  for  Comparison  

A  Bridgelux  48  x  3w  fixture  with  mean  well  driver  &  80  degree  optics  will  cost  u  178usd.  The  same  fixture  with  Cree  led  will  cost  u  roughly  278  usd.  Drivers  are  meanwell  LPF-60D-48.  Both  fixture  are  dimmable.

If  i  am  able  to  save  100  usd  just  for  a  sake  that  i  m  not  branded  fellow  i  find  its  a  clever  deal  when  i  am  assuming  that  all  leds  will  last  for  only  4-5  years  with  me  after  that  i  have  to  go  for  a  new  fixture.                

absolutely  fine  as  you  are  just  comparing  the  longevity  with  price...
 5  years  just  how  much  power  you  would  have  wasted  on  less  efficient  ones?

BTW  all  the  best  with  your  make  Thumb Up  

Apuda,  you  may  want  to  check  dealextreme.com  ,  has  worldwide  free  shipping  for  even  a  single  piece.  And  in  electronics  lane  of  Delhi,  drivers  will  be  easy  to  get,  rig-em  up  and  you`re  ready  to  go!
apuda2010
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:57 pm Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

@abhi_123  -  I  kinda  agree  with  you.  If  the  Bridgelux  LED  is  able  to  do  the  job  at  $100  cheaper  ,  there  is  absolutely  no  point  in  sticking  to  CREE.  I  can  vouch  for  this.  I  bought  a  Hagen  2x24W  T5  GloLite  fixture  sometime  back  but  I  refused  to  go  with  the  Hagen  tubes.  Just  went  and  bought  the  stuff  from  Bajaj  and  they  work  absolutely  fine

I  don't  see  any  difference  at  all  -  both  CREE  and  Bridgelux  are  US  companies  and  both  are  over  20  years  old.

I  have  a  question  for  you  -  the  stuff  which  you  are  getting  from  China  -  is  the  supplier  some  kind  of  authorised  distributor  or  OEM  manufacturer  for  Bridgelux  or  is  he  an  online  seller  ?  I  am  curious  to  know  how  will  you  know  whether  the  stuff  is  genuine  ?  Have  you  purchased  from  them  before  ?
abhi_123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:08 am Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

apuda2010  wrote  (View  Post):                
@abhi_123  -  I  kinda  agree  with  you.  If  the  Bridgelux  LED  is  able  to  do  the  job  at  $100  cheaper  ,  there  is  absolutely  no  point  in  sticking  to  CREE.  I  can  vouch  for  this.  I  bought  a  Hagen  2x24W  T5  GloLite  fixture  sometime  back  but  I  refused  to  go  with  the  Hagen  tubes.  Just  went  and  bought  the  stuff  from  Bajaj  and  they  work  absolutely  fine

I  don't  see  any  difference  at  all  -  both  CREE  and  Bridgelux  are  US  companies  and  both  are  over  20  years  old.

I  have  a  question  for  you  -  the  stuff  which  you  are  getting  from  China  -  is  the  supplier  some  kind  of  authorised  distributor  or  OEM  manufacturer  for  Bridgelux  or  is  he  an  online  seller  ?  I  am  curious  to  know  how  will  you  know  whether  the  stuff  is  genuine  ?  Have  you  purchased  from  them  before  ?                

He  is  wholesaler  &  deals  only  in  meanwell  drivers  &  bridgelux  leds  &  to  be  frank  even  american  companies  are  dealing  with  chinese  leds.  I  haven't  purchased  anything  from  him  yet  as  he  don't  entertain  retail  orders.  I   am  ordering  him  LEDS  &  Drivers  this  week  if  you  are  interested  than  let  me  know.  Contact  is  Genuine  has  been  given  by  a  senior  Reef  Hobbyist  of  Reef  Central.

Last edited by abhi_123 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
abhi_123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:32 am Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

saikumar  wrote  (View  Post):                

Just  for  Comparison  

absolutely  fine  as  you  are  just  comparing  the  longevity  with  price...
 5  years  just  how  much  power  you  would  have  wasted  on  less  efficient  ones?

BTW  all  the  best  with  your  make  Thumb Up  

Apuda,  you  may  want  to  check  dealextreme.com  ,  has  worldwide  free  shipping  for  even  a  single  piece.  And  in  electronics  lane  of  Delhi,  drivers  will  be  easy  to  get,  rig-em  up  and  you`re  ready  to  go!                

I  Haven't  came  across  with  anyone  yet  who  can  actually  calculate  &  tell  me  the  exact  savings  he  has  made  by  using  Cree  LEDS  over  Bridgelux.  100  usd  or  5000  INR  is  not  a  small  amount  for  a  poor  hobbyist  like  me  Chuckle  

And  one  more  thing  how  can  u  expect  that  you  will  be  using  the  same  light  fixture  for  even  5  year  also  considering  the  new  development  in  technology  is  taking  place  every  now  or  than?
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:19 pm Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

I  know  we  have  gone  off  topic  a  bit  here.  Smile  

To  answer  and  end  it,  well  when  it  works  well  even  for  5yrs  I  wouldnt  want  to  spend  more  anyway,  thats  why  -buy  the  most  modern  stuff  thats  on  shelf,  and  CREE  has  them  now.
 Fluorescent(technology)  have  been  in  hobby  for  atleast  10yrs?  so  expecting  LEDs  to  be  in  market  for  5yrs  might  be  a  safe  enough  expectation  for  now...more  over  any  new  tech  gets  affordablly  cheaper  for  hobby  only  in  2/3  years,  thats  as  I  ve  seen   the  trend.

Thanks.  Thumb Up
GatorX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:44 pm Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

I  Haven't  came  across  with  anyone  yet  who  can  actually  calculate  &  tell  me  the  exact  savings  he  has  made  by  using  Cree  LEDS  over  Bridgelux.  100  usd  or  5000  INR  is  not  a  small  amount  for  a  poor  hobbyist  like  me  Chuckle  

And  one  more  thing  how  can  u  expect  that  you  will  be  using  the  same  light  fixture  for  even  5  year  also  considering  the  new  development  in  technology  is  taking  place  every  now  or  than?

Ok,  I'm  fed-up  with  this  useless  post...

The  reason  why  people  prefer  cree's  is  that  they  have  a  good  reputation  where  quality  and  efficiency  are  concerned,  they  also  have  the  highest  output  of  PAR  compared  to  other  led  brand.  Also  80%  of  Aquarium  LED  manufactures  use  Cree  Chips.  

And  Abhi,  a  3  watt  LED  chip  will  consume  3  watts  of  electricity  no  matter  what  brand  !!  Its  not  like  if  you  use  a  150watt  LED  unit,  your  going  to  save  a  lot  of  $$$  as  compared   to  using  a  150watt  MH.  Its  the  same  thing  !!!

And  if  your  complaining  about  a  100$  electricity  bill,  this  hobby  isn't  for  you.

If  you  want  the  latest,  get  a  Plasma  fixture  for  your  tank...
abhi_123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:24 pm Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

GatorX  wrote  (View  Post):                

Ok,  I'm  fed-up  with  this  useless  post...

The  reason  why  people  prefer  cree's  is  that  they  have  a  good  reputation  where  quality  and  efficiency  are  concerned,  they  also  have  the  highest  output  of  PAR  compared  to  other  led  brand.  Also  80%  of  Aquarium  LED  manufactures  use  Cree  Chips.  

And  Abhi,  a  3  watt  LED  chip  will  consume  3  watts  of  electricity  no  matter  what  brand  !!  Its  not  like  if  you  use  a  150watt  LED  unit,  your  going  to  save  a  lot  of  $$$  as  compared   to  using  a  150watt  MH.  Its  the  same  thing  !!!

And  if  your  complaining  about  a  100$  electricity  bill,  this  hobby  isn't  for  you.

If  you  want  the  latest,  get  a  Plasma  fixture  for  your  tank...                

I  am  not  complaining  about  the  money  involved  in  this  hobby  nor  m  going  to  use  led  just  to  save  some  bucks  but  the  thing  is  that  i  dont  prefer  or  use  anything  just  because  everyone  is  using  or  recommending.  I  recently  purchased  a  dosing  pump  from  marine  magic  just  for  half  the  price  of  Highly  Rated  Bubble  Magus  &  the  performance  of  this  pump  is  way  too  good  when  you  compare  it  &  it  is  not  my  personal  view  you  can  google  for  it  &  find  thousands  of  hobbyist  satisfied  with  its  performance  but  that  doesn't  means  no  one  is  buying  Bubble  Magus  or  any  other  dosing  pumps.  same  is  applied  here  too  its  the  wish  of  buyer  what  he  wants  to  have  &  what  he  don't.  Marketing  Stunt  doesn't  make  any  product  special  &  similarly  lack  of  marketing  doesn't  make  quality  poor.
abhi_123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:31 pm Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

saikumar  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  know  we  have  gone  off  topic  a  bit  here.  Smile  

To  answer  and  end  it,  well  when  it  works  well  even  for  5yrs  I  wouldnt  want  to  spend  more  anyway,  thats  why  -buy  the  most  modern  stuff  thats  on  shelf,  and  CREE  has  them  now.
 Fluorescent(technology)  have  been  in  hobby  for  atleast  10yrs?  so  expecting  LEDs  to  be  in  market  for  5yrs  might  be  a  safe  enough  expectation  for  now...more  over  any  new  tech  gets  affordablly  cheaper  for  hobby  only  in  2/3  years,  thats  as  I  ve  seen   the  trend.

Thanks.  Thumb Up                

I  think  if  someone  is  eager  of  spending  money  on  anything  &  if  you  are  keeping  your  facts  which  helps  him  to  save  some  bucks  it  cant  be  off  topic  in  any  sense  &  if  the  most  modern  stuff  is  the  guarantee  of  success  why  majority  of  hobbyist  still  using  pmdd  or  other  cheaper  stuff  in  place  of  highly  priced  branded  stuffs?

&  to  sum  up  than  here  is  something  interesting.bridgelux  v/s  cree
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:13 pm Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

The  topic  discussion  is  going  in  a  wrong  direction.  Lets  not  deviate  from  the  topic.  Our  friends  wants  to  know  if  any  body  off  us  have  used  Cree  led  setup.  If  yes,  please  help  him  in  that  rather  than  going  off  topic..!!
apuda2010
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:16 pm Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

@Shelly..thanks.  All  I  want  to  know  is  has  anyone  used  the  CREE  LED  setup  ?  How  many  Cool  White  3W  LEDs  would  one  need  for  a  60g  setup  ?  Should  I  look  at  lumens/watt  or  watts/gallon  as  the  factor  to  determine  the  number  of  LEDs  ?
GatorX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:24 pm Post subject: Re: CREE Setup Reply with quote

For  that  size  tank,  i  would  suggest  you  get  about  24  and  use  80*  optics.  Since  its  a  planted  tank,  just  make  sure  you  space  them  to  get  good  coverage  over  the  entire  setup...

If  its  less  you  can  always  add  a  few  more..
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Lighting for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: