33. Guest
34. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,825

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Stingray !!!!!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Stingray !!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:10 pm Post subject: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

hello  everyone....

was  surfing  some  sites  and  videos  for  new  ideas  and  happen  to  see  a  tank  with  angles,  driftwood  and  stingrays.  soo  that  really  interested  me  and  gave  me  a  thought  to  introduce  a  stingray  in  my  aquarium.  so  started  surfing  but  getting  a  mix  reviews.  LFS  here  has  it  from  where  i  get  everything  regularly.  he  said  you  might  take  a  chance  he  has  total  4  rays  1  of  them  is  confirm  pair  in  breeding  condition.  it  has  been  with  him  since  a  year  and  half  and  the  other  2  guys  are  with  him  since  4-5  months.  they  are  pretty  small.  

1)  is  that  a  good  call  to  keep  stingray  ?  

2)  how  much  can  be  paid  for  a  stingray  ?

3)  has  anyone  here  ever  kept  rays  ?  

4)  any  special  care  or  requirement  for  ray  ?  

5)  the  LFS  feeds  them  carnivorous  hikari  sticks...  is  it  good  enough  ?  

thanks  for  the  help  in  advance...  any  comments  or  your  inputs/experience  is  much  appreciated.
Mohammed Mudassir
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:30 pm Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

jaival  wrote  (View  Post):                
hello  everyone....

1)  is  that  a  good  call  to  keep  stingray  ?  

2)  how  much  can  be  paid  for  a  stingray  ?

3)  has  anyone  here  ever  kept  rays  ?  

4)  any  special  care  or  requirement  for  ray  ?  

5)  the  LFS  feeds  them  carnivorous  hikari  sticks...  is  it  good  enough  ?  

thanks  for  the  help  in  advance...  any  comments  or  your  inputs/experience  is  much  appreciated.                

1)  Keeping  stingrays  is  a  personal  taste  of  choice,  but  they  grow  quiet  large,   a  standard  125  gal  tank  with  efficient  filtrationis  the  minimum  recommended  to  keep  a  stingray  happy,

3)  There  are  quiet  a  lot  of  people  who  keep  stingrays.
 4)  do  research  on  the  care  of  the  ray  u  r  gettin,  the  most  common  is  the  motoro  stingray  ,
 5)  Stingrays  are  predators,  so  feeding  them  frozen  food  is  what  i  would  personally  recommend.  Feeders  are  a  big  no  no,  so  dont  even  think  about  them.

Here  are  a  couple  of  links  on  stingrays
   http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/motorostingray.php
 http://theaquariumwiki.com/Potamotrygon_motoro
sid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:39 pm Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

they  require  massive  bare  bottom  tanks  and  should  preferably  be  kept  in  a  species  only  setup.  and  i  would  never  believe  an  LFS  owner  who  uses  the  words  'confirmed  pair'
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:53 pm Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

years  back  even  i  wanted  to  keep  them  but  then  dint  because  they  need  huge  tanks.  Never  ever  take  advice  from  LFS  because  they  are  intrested  in  bucks  and  not  the  life  of  fishes.  it  will  be  happy  in  a  125  -  250  gallong  tank.  the  width  of  the  tnak  should  be  good  enough  too.  i  know  this  because  i  had  seen  a  FW  stingray  tank  in  hongkong,  went  there  three  times  and  still  all  were  alive  and  growing.  i  asked  the  owner  everything  about  it  and  he  told  me  everything  as  he  was  a  hobbyist  too.  he  had  kept  rays  with  arrowanas  in  a  350  gallon  tank.  he  use  to  feed  home  cultured  worms,  fish,  some  pellets,  etc.  he  said  live  food  is  a  must.  that  time  i  descided  that  ill  keep  rays  when  i  can  keep  a  200  gallon  tank.
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:04 am Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

sid  wrote  (View  Post):                
they  require  massive  bare  bottom  tanks  and  should  preferably  be  kept  in  a  species  only  setup.  and  i  would  never  believe  an  LFS  owner  who  uses  the  words  'confirmed  pair'                

bro  i  also  never  believe  LFS  words  but  this  seems  like  a  true  pair..  as  they  were  fighting  and  the  male  was  huring  and  beating  up  the  female...  

i  m  not  sure  about  bare  bottom  tanks,  there  are  mix  reviews  on  the  substrate  to  use  in  rays  tank.  have  seem  many  rays  with  sand,  and  rocks  and  some  wood  to  decor.
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:07 am Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

nanomania  wrote  (View  Post):                
years  back  even  i  wanted  to  keep  them  but  then  dint  because  they  need  huge  tanks.  Never  ever  take  advice  from  LFS  because  they  are  intrested  in  bucks  and  not  the  life  of  fishes.  it  will  be  happy  in  a  125  -  250  gallong  tank.  the  width  of  the  tnak  should  be  good  enough  too.  i  know  this  because  i  had  seen  a  FW  stingray  tank  in  hongkong,  went  there  three  times  and  still  all  were  alive  and  growing.  i  asked  the  owner  everything  about  it  and  he  told  me  everything  as  he  was  a  hobbyist  too.  he  had  kept  rays  with  arrowanas  in  a  350  gallon  tank.  he  use  to  feed  home  cultured  worms,  fish,  some  pellets,  etc.  he  said  live  food  is  a  must.  that  time  i  descided  that  ill  keep  rays  when  i  can  keep  a  200  gallon  tank.                

thanks  bro,  i  am  planning  ray  and  am  also  planning  out  a  big  tank...  if  i  house  this  ray  in  my  4X2X2  tank  then  this  tank  will  be  grow  out  tank  and  then  the  ray  will  be  transferred  to  a  bigger  tank...  i  might  plan  a  6X2X2  tank  if  the  ray  gets  big  enough.
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:09 am Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

this  is  the  tank  in  which  i  am  planning  to  house  the  rays.  

vigneshk
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:05 pm Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

Wow,  Sting  ray!  great  idea!  I  have  never  seen  one!
ruchit
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:01 pm Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

I  would  suggest  a  more  broad  tank  for  them  to  move  freely.  My  personal  opinion  would  be  invest  in  a  stingray  only  if  you  can  give  them  big  tank  interms  of  breadth..
vyastk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:13 am Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

Get  a  large  tank,  then  buy  the  fish...These  fish  will  need  wide  tanks.
GatorX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:48 am Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

You  need  a  2-3ft  wide  tank  for  the  rays.

RESEARCH  BEFORE  YOU  BUY  ANYTHING  !!!
Yogesh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:57 am Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

i  might  plan  a  6X2X2  tank  if  the  ray  gets  big  enough.                

Rays  do  get  big  enough  for  that  size  tank  width.  Get  3'  wide  tank  if  not  2.5'.  
 Permanent  2'  wide  tank  is  not  advisable  for  long-tailed  ray  like  Potamotrygon  motoro.
 Also  I  wouldn't  buy  a  pair  of  male  beating  up  female  persistently.  That's  certainly  not  a  'True  Pair'.

Many  people  attempt  to  keep  Stingrays  but  unfortunately  only  handful  of  them  know  how  to  keep  them  well  enough.
 They  do  not  necessarily  need  barebottom  tanks.  A  thin  layer  of  fine  sand  is  enough  to  keep  them  happy.
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:30 am Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

thanks  everyone......  this  will  be  a  grow  out  tank  for  couple  of  months  and  once  the  ray  is  big  i  will  get  a  new  tank....
vyastk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:39 am Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

this  will  be  a  grow  out  tank  for  couple  of  months                

Thats  an  oft  heard  quote!!...Sigh!!...
GatorX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:52 am Post subject: Re: Stingray !!!!! Reply with quote

vyastk  wrote  (View  Post):                

this  will  be  a  grow  out  tank  for  couple  of  months                

Thats  an  oft  heard  quote!!...Sigh!!...                

People  just  don't  listen  or  understand.....!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: