63. Guest
64. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - trade offs for not using Eheim
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

trade offs for not using Eheim
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Filtration Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:14 am Post subject: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

Hi  All,

What  are  the  trade  off  of  not  using  Eheim.
 I  Would  like  to  pick  sunsun  or  aquazonic  since  they  cost  less  than  1/3rd  for  2400  liter/hour.
 What  will  i  loose  on  doing  that?
 please  help
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:45 pm Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

suggestions  please  Sad
karthik_nambiar
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:56 pm Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

Just  Google  &  you  will  know  why  you  have  to  go  with  Ehiem  Canister  Filters  only  !!!
jack86
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

karthik_nambiar  wrote  (View  Post):                
Just  Google  &  you  will  know  why  you  have  to  go  with  Ehiem  Canister  Filters  only  !!!                

I  too  use  eheims  but  dont  agree  with  that  statement.

TRUE!  that  they  are  more  durable,  reliable,  power  efficient  and  almost  dead  silent.
 BUT  they  are  expensive  -  considerably  more  than  the  competitors  -  of  course  you  compromise  on  the  above  mentioned  attributes  but  I  think  it  is  subjective  if  the  difference  is  worth  the  EXTRA  cost!

Eheims  have  a  disappointing  slow  rate  -  but  then  again,  people  attribute  that  for  a  superior  biological  filtration  due  to  increased  contact  time!  

My  verdict  would  be  to  first  invest  on  the  best  substrate  and  then  on  the  filter.
 Also,  if  you  do  intend  to  buy  an  Eheim,  dont  go  by  the  figures  on  the  website.

They  are  highly  over  rated  when  it  comes  to  flow!
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

Thanks  a  lot  for  the  detailed  explanation  Jack.
 I  was  actually  planning  to  go  for  SUN  SUN  since  the  price  is  as  said  before  1/3  rd  of  EHEIM   and  i  feel  SUN  SUN  is  not  that  bad  a  brand.
 But  still  Always  the  final  decision  is  left  for  IAHians  Smile.
umashankar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:30 pm Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

I  would  always  bet  for  eheim!
jack86
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:36 pm Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

jabba  wrote  (View  Post):                
Thanks  a  lot  for  the  detailed  explanation  Jack.
    i  feel  SUN  SUN  is  not  that  bad  a  brand.
 But  still  Always  the  final  decision  is  left  for  IAHians  Smile.                

Glad  to  be  of  help.

If  you  are  planning  on  something  which  is  going  to  long  lasting  then  you  should  buy  Eheim  -  no  doubt  about  that,  if  your  budget  permits.
 If  you  may  upgrade  to  a  larger  tank/exit  the  hobby  etc  etc  then  buying  Eheim  may  not  make  sense.
jack86
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:41 pm Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

umashankar  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  would  always  bet  for  eheim!                

So  would  I,  but  given  the  price  difference  there  are  a  few  options  worth  exploring!

A  DIY  canister  (An  ART  mastered  by  Hamsa  -  i  think)  would  cost  you  probably  1/5th  of  a  2217.  And,  with  same  media  and  similar  flow  rate  ,  should  work  just  as  well  too!  (same  would  hold  true  for  reliability)
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:14 pm Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

One  thing  that  sucks  about  Eheims,  atleast  the  classic  series  is  that  there  are  no  media  baskets.  It  makes  cleaning  out  the  filters  messy  and  a  pain  IMHO
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:11 am Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

I  do  not  want  to  sound  like  an  Eheim  dealer  but  spread  peanuts  and  all  you  get  are  monkeys!Quality  definitely  comes  at  a  price.I  have  been  guilty  of  investing  in  a  couple  of  cheap  Chinese  canisters  before  buying  an  Eheim  and  today  I  simply  regret  it.
 Thousands  of  aquarium  hobbyist  swear  by  Eheim  filters  and  they  don't  do  it  without  reason.
 No,  they  are  not  overrated  by  any  stretch  of  imagination  and  people  have  been  using  them  for  decades  without  any  complaints!Silent,reliable  (like  most  German  products)  and  with  proper  filter  media  in  place  abides  by  the  principle  "what  goes  in,  stays  in".
 As  for  the  low  flow  complaint,  it  might  be  rewarding  to  clean  the  pipes  from  inside,  check  for  any  gurgling  sound  (entrapped  air)  or  check  the  O  ring  for  condition.
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:08 am Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

Sad   Sad   Sad   Sad  So  eheim  will  be  it.  but  which  one  is  the  best  that  is  the  one  with  media  baskets,  which  will  be  easy  in  cleaning.
 The  actual  thing  is  I  have  a  future  plan  for  a  4x2x2  feet  tank  but  currently  I  have  a  2x1x1.5  feet  tank.
 I  am  collecting  one  by  one  items  in  2  feeter  for  that  4  feeter.  My  anubias  collection,CO2  set  up,drift  wood  for  that  tank  is  complete  by  gods  grace  Smile.
 So  i  want  to  buy  one  canister  to  replace  my  HOB  for  my  current  2  feeter  in  such  a  way,  that  I  can  use  this  one,  with  one  more  for  my  future  4  feeter.  

Please  suggest  Clapping   Clapping
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:04 am Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

please  suggest
jack86
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:47 am Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

but  which  one  is  the  best  that  is  the  one  with  media  baskets,  which  will  be  easy  in  cleaning.

Classics  do  not  come  with  a  basket.  Eco  pro  does!  But  you  get  lesser  bang  for  the  bucks  spent  because  you  get  lesser  media  volume  compared  the  to  the  classic  you  could  have  bough  otherwise.
 Also  there  are  many  threads  where  hobbyists  suggest  that  eco  pro  is  not  as  silent  as  the  classic.

IMO  you  should  not  bother  too  much  about  classic  not  having  a  basket  as  you  will  probably  clean  your  filter  twice  a  year  and  absence  of  basket  should  not  be  such  a  major  botheration  to  not  to  buy  a  classic...unless  of  course  you  are  planning  for  professional  3!  :_

So  i  want  to  buy  one  canister  to  replace  my  HOB  for  my  current  2  feeter  in  such  a  way,  that  I  can  use  this  one,  with  one  more  for  my  future  4  feeter.  

Oh  boy!  Well,  that  is  way  too  much  to  ask  from  god  himself,  let  alone  Eheim!  Smile
 You  will  need  a  2215  for  2  ftr  and  2217  for  4.
 2215  is  under  powered  to  handle  4ftr  and  2117  is  over  powered  for  2!
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:30 pm Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

ok  so  i  can  have  proper  filteration  for  a  4x2x2  tank  using  one  2215  and  2217  together  right
jack86
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:42 pm Post subject: Re: trade offs for not using Eheim Reply with quote

I  tried  one  thing!

Tried  to  run  a  3-month  seasoned  2217  on  a  1.5X1X1  bare  bottom  tank  with  cardinals  in  it.
 The  flow  is  more  than  what  I  would  like  to  have  (despite  it  being  clogged  up  a  bit)  but  with  a  spray  bar  the  flow  is  not  enough  to  slam  cardinals  to  the  walls!

I  am  sure  with  some  DIY  this  could  be  taken  care  of!  But  then  -  I  reiterate  -  it  is  a  seasoned  2217  which  prob  requires  cleaning!

Now  to  answer  your  question,  No!  You  would  need  2X2217.  A  2215  has  almost  half  the  flow  rate  but  85%  the  cost  of  2217!  so  it  ain't  good  enough!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Filtration Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: