381. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 860
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 860

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,834

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Discus Database
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Discus Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bengalman
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:59 pm Post subject: Discus Database Reply with quote

Origin  –  
   Discus  Fish  belongs  to  the  Amazon  River  of  Brazil,  Colombia,  and  Peru.  It  is  found  primarily  in  still  or  slow-moving  bodies  of  water,  lowland  of  Amazonia  where  water  turns  blackish  or  brownish  due  to  leaf  litter  and  wood  debris.  

Tank  size  –  
 This  plays  a  vital  role  for  discus  keeping.  If  you  choose  proper  dimension  then  half  of  your  job  is  already  done.  We  know  that  discus  is  a  round  or  disc  shaped  fish.  So  due  to  this  body  shape  this  fish  moves  more  vertically  than  horizontally.   More  they  move  more  they  grow  fast.  Generally  discus  is  a  mid-level  moving  fish.  So  at  first  our  goal  will  be  to  provide  them  a  high  depth  tank.  You  can  choose  a  18  inch  to  24  inch  high  tank.
 It  is  generally  seen  that  discus  loves  to  live  in  a  group.  So  I  say  you  that  please  buy  at  least  4-6  discus  for  the  first  time.  So  they  can  eventually  form  a  group.  Now  a  question  comes.  what  will  be  ideal  tank  length?  I  say  that  at  least  3  feet.  A  3  feet  tank  is  ideal  for  those  6  (I  consider  that  you  keep  4-6  discus  for  the  first  time),  they  can  move  freely  in  horizontal  direction  in  this  tank  and  with  a  height  of  18-24  inch  we  will  also  provide  enough  space  for  moving  vertically.  So  selecting  this  type  of  tank  we  can  provide  much  space  for  growing.  

Filter  –  
 You  dare  to  change  water  daily.  So  simply  don’t  do  that!!  You  can  do  20%  water  change  in  every  alternate  day.  Yes  just  20%  to  raise  2.5-3  inch  discus.  Can  you  do  1  thing?  Can  you  keep  an  external  canister  filter  for  that?  This  will  be  the  best  filter  for  any  kind  of  set  up.  Even  for  discus  obviously!  It  holds  maximum  amount  of  filter  media.  You  can  keep  good  amount  of  zeolite,  active  carbon,  bio  ball,  ceramic  ring  in  it.  

Now  you  may  say  that  canister  filter  is  too  costly.  Ok,  no  problem.  Still  you  can  manage  this  with  a  top  filter  and  1  or  2  power  filter.  On  the  chamber  of  top  filter  keep  good  amount  of  zeolite  and  inside  power  filter  keep  maximum  amount  of  sponge!!  Here  one  question  may  be  asked.  Power  filter  for  discus  tank?  Yes  why  not,  make  sure  that  the  outlet  of  power  filter  is  towards  back  glass  of  your  tank  or  you  can  use  a  spray  bar  with  it.

So  basically  if  you  have  4-1.5-1.5  feet  discus  tank  then  your  choice  of  filters  will  be  :

1.One  canister  filter  
 2.One  top  filter  and  2  sponge  filter
 3.2  top  filters  and  1  sponge  filter
 4.One  top  filter  and  one  power  filter

You  can  choice  any  of  those  4  options.

Temperature  –
   Discus  prefers  higher  temperature  than  other  fishes.  Generally,  they  are  kept  in  30  degree  Celsius  temperature.  But  they  can  also  live  well  in  between  27-29  degree.  Due  to  this  high  temperature,  one  has  to  put  thermostat  on  during  winter.  Also  you  have  to  very  careful  during  water  change.   Because  a  fluctuation  of  water  temperature  can  cause  fatal.  To  avoid  this,  you  can  use  thermostat  to  keep  temperature  at  that  desired  temperature.  Hence  use  a  bucket  to  store  water,  in  that  bucket  keep  a  thermostat  to  keep  water  temp.  at  30  degree.  Then  use  the  same  temperature  water  into  your  discus  tank.

Diurnal/nocturnal  fish
 Discus  is  a  diurnal  fish.  Their  movements  will  slow  down  if  you  switch  off  light  or  at  night.

Décor/setup  –  

1.  Discus  in  a  sandy  aquarium:
 i)Different  types  of  discus  in  a  sandy  tank:
 Ok,  you  choose  sand  as  a  substrate.  Then  I  suggest  that  make  a  black  background  for  this  tank.  You  may  say  that  discus  tank  and  black  background!!!  Why  not…  you  say  that  if  we  keep  discus  with  a  black  background  then  peepering  will  come.  also  they  will  be  blackish.  I  say  that  keep  those  discus  which  show  no  peepering  or  generally  will  not  turn  blackish.  So  what  are  those  strains!!  They  are  turquoise  (blue,red,tiger),  leopard,  snakeskin,  leopard  snakeskin,  blue  diamond,  snow  white,  alenquer,  san  merah,  tefe  green.

ii)  Fish  size  you’ll  choose  for  this  type  of  tank:  
 So  for  the  first  time  you  keep  discus  and  you  keep  in  a  sandy  tank.  So  your  fish  size  will  be  at  least  2.5-3  inch  at  least.  Now  question  comes.  Why  do  you  choose  this  size?  I  say  that  this  is  the  perfect  size  for  any  discus  to  grow.  Many  discus  experts  say  that  this  size  of  discus  grows  fastest  than  any  other  size.  Also  this  size  of  discus  is  also  easy  to  keep!!!  Because  with  little  care  with  in  few  days  you’ll  be  amazed  to  see  that  your  discus  grows  3.5-4  inch!  So  keep  2.5-3  inch  size  discus.  After  few  days  you  may  take  challenge  to  keep  1.5-2  inch  discus.  

2.  Discus  in  a  gravelled  aquarium:
 i)  Gravel  that  you  will  use:
 Now  you  choose  a  gravelled  tank  for  discus.  And  you  keep  discus  for  the  first  time.  You  may  say  that  may  I  keep  discus  in  a  gravelled  tank!!  I  heard  that  within  few  days  we’ll  see  peepering  on  discus  bodies.  So  what  I  have  to  do?  What’ll  be  the  ideal  gravel  for  a  discus  tank?  

There  are  different  types  of  gravel  is  available  in  the  market.  One  has  fine  grain  and  other  has  comparatively  larger  grain.  If  you  choose  fine  grain  gravels  then  it  will  be  a  tough  job  for  you  to  clean  your  tank,  Where  as  if  you  use  larger  grain  it  will  be  easier  to  clean.  So  I  suggest  using  larger  gravel.  At  the  same  time  I  suggest  you  to  place  those  gravel  in  a  loosely  manner.  So  that  it  will  be  easier  to  clean  your  tank.  

ii)  Different  types  of  discus  that  you  can  keep  in  a  gravelled  tank:
 Yes  you  can  also  keep  discus  in  a  gravelled  tank.  I  personally  started  this  discus  hobby  keeping  them  in  a  gravelled  tank!!!  At  that  time  I  was  a  great  fan  of  gravelled  tank  and  I  had  various  type  of  gravels!  If  you  wish  to  keep  discus  in  a  gravelled  tank  then  I  suggest  to  make  a  blue  (whatever  dark  or  light  blue,  but  light  blue  is  preferable)  background.  This  is  different  with  sandy  discus  tank.  A  sandy  discus  tank  should  look  more  blackish  or  kind  of  normal  nature,  where  as  gravelled  discus  tank  is  more  spontaneous.  That’s  why  you  can  choose  blue  background.  In  a  gravelled  discus  tank  you  will  astonish  to  hear  that  you  can  keep  more  variety  of  discus  that  you  can  keep  in  a  sandy  discus  tank!!!  Yes  it  is.  Apart  from  those  turquoise  strain,  leopard,  blue  diamond  etc.  you  can  also  keep  all  melon  sp.,  red  and  white,  Marlboro,  yellow  checkerboard!!!  And  yes  you  can  successfully  keep  those  without  any  peepering  on  their  bodies.  Here  you  can  see  a  picture  of  sunshine  orange  of  mine.  This  was  my  first  ever  discus  and  I  kept  that  more  than  3  years.  It  grew  up  to  7  inch!!!

iii)  Fish  size  you’ll  choose  for  this  type  of  tank:  
 My  general  suggestion  is  to  keep  2.5-3  inch  juvenile  discus  if  you  keep  discus  for  first  time.  bigger  will  be  better.  But  since  you  use  a  gravelled  tank  and  hope  you  have  a  good  filtration  and  good  amount  of  water  change  schedule  you  can  show  fascination  Of  keeping  2  inch  discus  also!!!  From  my  previous  post  you  know  that  discus  will  live  better  in  a  group.  So  keeping  6-8  discus  of  2  inch  will  be  no  problem  for  you.

3.  Discus  in  a  planted  aquarium:

Without  any  doubt,  planted  tank  is  one  the  beautiful  looking  of  any  kind  of  tanks.  Many  of  us  love  to  keep  planted  tank.  It’s  nice  to  see  some  awesome  planted  aquarium.  It’s  a  great  feelings  when  one  keep  beautiful  discus  in  a  planted  tank.  Especially  when  we  see  beautiful  planted  tank  with  discus  we  are  amazed  to  see  this  beauty.  Let  me  assume  that  you  also  keep  planted  tank.  Now  for  the  first  time  you  want  to  keep  discus  in  your  planted.  Ok,  don’t  worry.  You  can  keep  discus  if  you  know  some  tricks  about  them.  

i)  Different  types  of  discus  that  you  can  keep  in  a  planted  tank:

You  have  to  be  choosy  enough  for  different  strain  of  discus  in  a  planted  tank.  You  can’t  choose  all  types  of  discus  in  a  planted  tank.  Let  me  assume  that  you  have  a  beautiful  planted  set  up.  But  you  keep  some  peepering  prone  or  such  type  of  discus.  I  see  many  planted  experts  keeping  discus  in  their  tanks  but  they  keep  juvenile  and  peepering  discus.  I  feel  very  sad  to  see  this.  So  to  avoid  this  you  can  keep  all  turquoise  strain,  leopard,  snakeskin,  san  merah,  blue  diamond  etc.  

You  know  planted  tank  can  be  classified  of  2  different  types.  One  is  low-tech  set  up  with  DIY  CO2,  DIY  substrate,  low-medium  light  etc.  keeping  discus  in  this  type  of  set  up  is  comparatively  easier.one  can  keep  adult  discus  in  this  low-tech  set  up  after  4-5  months  of  set  up.  Once  the  tank  is  settled  well  and  tends  to  mature  then  you  can  keep  them.  

Other  type  of  set  up  is  high-tech  planted  tank  with  pressurised  CO2  system,  branded  substrate,  high  light,  proper  dosing  etc.  keeping  discus  in  this  type  of  set  up  is  little  tricky.  A  branded  substrate  can  cause  problem  for  discus.  In  addition,  due  to  high  light,  dosing,  CO2  your  discus  can  be  stressed.  So  to  avoid  this  what’s  the  option?  The  only  option  is  to  keep  adult  discus  settling  in  this  type  of  environment.  I  know  many  planted  discus  keepers  who  keep  adult  discus  in  a  temporary  planted  set  up  and  if  a  discus  is  settled  enough  then  only  they  can  transfer  that  discus  to  the  main  planted  tank.  But  in  your  case  I  like  to  say  that  keep  4-4.5  inch+  (at  least)  discus.  As  you  know  adult  discus  is  having  more  resistance  power,  so  it  will  not  be  too  much  problem.  Also  one  thing  that  I  like  to  suggest  you,  In  case  of  hi-tech  planted  set  up  please  keep  discus  once  tank  is  fully  matured.  During  set  up  time  there  can  be  some  fluctuation  of  water  parameters  which  is  hazardous  to  discus.  You  may  say  that  in  many  cases  I  see  lots  of  other  strain  of  discus  housing  in  a  hi-tech  planted  tank.  In  most  of  the  cases  those  discus  are  kept  in  this  set  up  for  a  better  video  or  picture  purpose.

ii)  Fish  size  you’ll  choose  for  this  type  of  tank:
 Keeping  discus  in  a  planted  aquarium  is  not  like  keeping  discus  in  other  types  of  tank.  In  other  type  of  tanks  you  can  easily  keep  and  successfully  raise  2-.25  inch  discus.  But  for  planted  tank  I  suggest  you  to  keep  adult  discus.  As  we  all  know  adult  discus  can  adapt  more  than  juveniles.  So  keeping  4  inch  plus  discus  is  a  very  option  for  a  planted  tank.  Since  you  use  pressurised  CO2  (for  high-tech  set  up),  we’ll  often  find  juveniles  are  stressed  or  often  goes  top  level  of  water.  Discus  demands  more  oxygen  and  in  case  of  juveniles  they  need  more  than  adult.  That’s  one  of  the  reasons  to  choose  adult  discus  in  a  planted  tank.  From  my  previous  post  you  know  that  discus  will  live  better  in  a  group.  So  keeping  a  batch  of  4  inch  size  discus  will  be  no  problem  for  you.

Water  –  pH,  temperature  and  extras  –  
 The  primary  condition  of  water  is  it  should  be  dechlorinated.  Specially  we  have  to  take  care  during  rainy  season  when  our  tap  water  is  chlorinated!!  So  my  request  is  to  give  attention  to  water  that  you  provide  in  your  discus  tank.  Now  a  days  in  any  pet  shop  you  can  get  dechlorinated  medicine  that  helps  you  to  lower  chlorine  of  your  tank.  Use  that  thing  and  dissolve  it  as  that  medicine  say.   You  should  buy  dechlorine  medicine  which  helps  you  to  lower  chlorine  of  your  tank.  This  Chlorine  is  routinely  added  to  the  water  supply  in  many  parts  of  the  world  to  make  the  water  germfree.  But  this  Chlorine  is  not  good  for  discus  fish  and  the  use  of  chloramine  can  be  disastrous.  So  use  a  test  kit  to  determine  the  presence  and  concentration  of  this  Chlorine  or  Chloramine.  Make  sure  that  discus  can  be  healthy  and  can  grow  well  if  you  provide  them  right  water  condition,  which  is  obviously  chlorine  free.  It  will  be  good  if  you  store  water  for  24  hours  in  a  bucket  and  treat  it  with  HYPO.  It’s  a  very  good  chlorine  remover.

PH  level:
 One  of  the  most  common  problems  encountered  by  the  aquarist  is  maintaining  a  constant  pH  level.  Many  hobbyists  fail  to  understand  the  importance  pH  plays  in  the  aquarium  and  what  factors  influence  the  pH  reading.  The  Discus  is  a  very  sensitive  fish.  You  should  be  very  careful  about  fluctuating  ph  in  your  discus  tank.  I  have  a  personal  experience  I  lost  my  few  discus  due  to  fluctuated  ph  level  in  my  early  days  in  this  hobby.  You  can  fix  it  at  7.  You  may  use  a  ph  meter  to  measure  it.
 When  considering  pH,  you  should  have  a  goal  of  stability.  Although  7.0  may  be  the  standard  pH  level  for  a  discus  fish,  the  same  fish  will  likely  thrive  at  a  constant  level  anywhere  between  6.6  and  7.5.  It  may  even  survive  at  constant  levels  between  6.2  and  7.8.  Our  goal  as  aquarists  should  be  to  establish  a  very  consistent  pH  level,  even  if  that  level  is  slightly  outside  the  “ideal”  pH  reading  for  a  given  species.  In  other  words,  a  constant  pH  of  6.6  is  better  than  a  pH  value  which  fluctuates  between  6.6  and  7.0,  even  for  a  fish  which  prefers  a  7.0  reading.  

SOLUTIONS  FROM  IMPROPER  WATER  CHEMISTRY:
 Therefore,  you  have  to  know  about  the  solutions  by  which  you  can  get  rid  of  this  improper  water  chemistry.  To  do  this,  you  have  to  test  our  aquarium  water  to  maintain  a  stable  environment  for  discus  fish.  Unless  you  test  your  water,  you  cannot  understand  if  the  water  is  stable  for  discus  or  not.  Water  testing  is  important,  and  you  need  to  do  it,  but  from  my  experience,  I  suggest  you  that  you  should  not  go  behind  those  numbers  that  are  said  by  the  experienced  hobbyists.  Some  aquarists  read  that  the  pH  should  be  X  and  hardness  needs  to  be  Y,  and  continually  add  chemicals  and  buffers  to  the  water  to  alter  the  pH  and  hardness,  resulting  in  wild  swings  in  water  chemistry.  AVOID  THIS!  Most  fishes  and  even  your  discus  can  tolerate  up  to  a  certain  range  of  water  chemistry,  but  they  do  not  tolerate  rapid  changes.  Maintaining  stable  water  chemistry,  and  keeping  it  at  the  optimal  levels  for  your  particular  fish,  is  difficult.  Many  of  the  parameters  are  interdependent,  so  that  if  you  change  one,  the  other  changes  as  well.  Being  able  to  manage  and  manipulate  water  chemistry  to  provide  a  stable,  healthy  environment  is  the  challenge  facing  any  aquarist.  The  Nitrogen  Cycle  (Ammonia,  Nitrite,  and  Nitrate)  Three  of  the  most  important  water  chemistry  parameters  are  ammonia/  ammonium  (NH3/NH4+),  nitrite  (NO2-),  and  nitrate  (NO3-).  These  three  chemicals  are  important  because  ammonia  and  nitrite  are  both  very  toxic  to  aquatic  life,  even  at  low  concentrations.  Incidentally,  neither  one  is  great  for  us  either.  Nitrate,  while  much  less  toxic  than  either  ammonia  or  nitrite,  is  toxic  at  high  concentrations.  More  importantly,  it  is  a  great  plant  nutrient  and  thus  causes  algal  blooms.
 Now  a  days,  many  products  are  available  in  the  market  which  that  claim  to  detoxify  ammonia  and  nitrite.  These  preparations  are  acceptable  to  use  in  case  of  an  emergency,  you  have  to  stock  these  products  too.  Like  when  a  dead  discus  fish  causes  a  huge  ammonia  spike,  but  they  are  not  a  substitute  for  good  filtration  and  husbandry.  These  things  do  not  actually  remove  any  nitrogenous  waste  from  the  system;  they  simply  bind  to  ammonia  and  render  it  less  toxic  to  fish.  All  the  nitrogen  is  still  in  the  system  feeding  other  bacterial  and  algal  populations.  There  is  still  no  substitute  for  biological  filtration  and  good,  old-fashioned  water  changes.  In  my  aquarium,  I  have  this  biological  filtering  system  for  the  discus  fish  with  great  success.

Tank  mate  
 Most   discus  keepers  love  to  keep  only  discus  fish  in  the  tank.  I  also  prefer  to  keep  discus  fish  alone.  but   if  anybody  wants  to  keep  some  other  fishes  then  you  can  keep  danisonii  and  smaller  tetra  sp  like  neon,  cardinal,  rummy  nose  tetra.  If  you  want  to  keep  other  compatible  fishes  then  always  introduce  other  fishes  first  then  keep  discus  fish.  Otherwise  discus  can  nibble  those  fishes.

Size  –
   size  depends  on  about  how  well  you  can  keep  and  care  for.  discus  fish  can  grow  even  upto  8  inch.  This  8  inch  means  size  from  mouth  to  before  tail.  But  in  most  of  the  cases  we  see  maximum  6  inch  size  discus.

Lifespan  –
   A  discus  can  live  even  upto  13-15  years.  Like  I  mention  in  size  lifespaen  of  discus  also  depends  on  how  well  you  care  for.  In  normal  cases,  a  tank  breed  discus  can  live  even  upto  10-12  years.  

Diet  –    
 Discus  needs  a  better  and  various  protein  diet  than  other  fishes.  There  are  some  good  branded  dry  foods  which  are  ideal  for  discus.  Those  are  hikari  discus  bio  gold,  NLS  discus  food,  sera  discus  granules,  tetra  bits,  tetra  crisps.  apart  from  that  you  can  feed  them  frozen  dried  bloodworms  (occasionally).  You  can  also  feed  them  ants  egg!  This  is  one  of  the  best  live  food  for  discus,  as  this  contains  no  external  or  internal  parasites.
 And  now  come  to  the  most  important  food  for  discus.  That  is  BHM/GHM,  which  consists  of:  

1.Goat  heart  (fat  removed)  -  200gm  
 2.Fresh  Prawns  -  200gm  
 3.Spinach  (boiled)  -  100gm  
 4.Green  Peas  (boiled)  -  50gm  
 5.  Garlic  -  2  clove  
 6.  Multivitamins  -  ½  capsule  
 7.  Calcium  -  ½  capsule  
 8.Spirulina  -1  tsp.

If  you  buy  2.5-3  inch  discus.  So  you  feed  them  4-5  times  daily  and  feed  them  in  small  quantity  so  that  no  left  over  food  will  stay  at  the  bottom  but  feed  them  more.  Generally  it  is  seen  that  juvenile  discus  needs  more  food  than  a  mature  discus  because  their  growth  rate  is  higher  than  a  mature  one.  Now  you  can  do  one  thing.  After  feeding  them  you  can  siphon  their  wastes  and  uneaten  food.  It  will  take  maximum  2-3  minutes.  Where  as  if  you  have  adult  discus  you  can  feed  them  2-3  times  daily.

Personality  –  
 discus  is  a  master  loving  fish.  It’s  an  experience  of  a  lifetime  when  a  discus  takes  food  from  your  hand.  If  a  discus  is  healthy  and  if  you  provide  them  good  water  parameters  then  you’ll  see  that  whenever  you  towards  discus  that  fish  moves  towards  you.  

Apart  from  that  discus  loves  to  live  with  a  group  of  6  or  more.  So  if  anybody  keeps  discus  then  please  keep  at  least  6  discus  so  that  they  can  eventually  form  a  group  and  move  together.  

Plants  –    
 If  you  decide  to  keep  plants  in  your  discus  community  aquarium  then  you  have  to  very  careful  of  choosing  plants.  Because  discus  fish  is  very  sensitive  and  they  cannot  live  well  if  you  choose  improper  plants.  The  best  plants  that  favour  discus  fish  are:
 1.  Amazon  (Echinodorous  sp.)
 2.  Anubias  sp.
 3.Anacharis  sp.
 4.Cabomba  sp.
 5.Cryptocoryne  sp.
 6.Vallisneria  sp.
 7.Hygro  sp.
 8.Java  fern

These  types  of  plants  are  very  hardy  and  survive  even  if  30  degree  Celsius,  which  is  the  conventional  temperature  level  for  discus  tank.

Disease  susceptibility  –  

Quarantine  process  of  Discus:
 When  you  bring  a  discus  for  your  show  tank  then  there  is  a  high  risk  factor  of  introducing  disease  and  parasites.  In  addition,  your  discus  can  be  stressed  due  to  transport  and  relocation  from  their  previous  set  up.  Hence,  there  is  a  higher  chance  of  your  discus  to  be  affected  by  diseases  or  parasites  present  in  the  new  environment.  So  you  need  a  quarantine  tank  which  protects  your  fish  from  disease  and  allow  to  regain  optimum  health  before  they  are  shifted  your  main  tank.  Here  I  describe  my  own  method  of  how  to  process  quarantine  of  discus…

Day  1:  start  the  quarantine  process  with  Potassium  permanganate.  Make  a  Potassium  permanganate  soln.  you  can  use  this  solution  until  tank  water  turns  into  baby  pink  colour.  Do  not  use  filter  during  this  process  otherwise,  your  purpose  will  not  be  served.  You  can  use  heavy  aeration  during  this  time.  Also  you  can  raise  temperature  at  32  degree  Celsius  during  this  course.  Most  of  the  parasites  will  kill  in  that  temperature.

Day2,  3,  4:  Do  100%  W/C  on  day  2.  Make  sure  there  is  no  PP  water  is  left  in  your  tank.  Fill  your  aquarium  with  new  fresh  water.  Now  you  have  to  use  oxytetracycline  tablet  (5  capsules  per  100  litre  of  water).  Use  heavy  aeration  also.  

Day  5:  continue  the  step  that  was  followed  on  day  1.

Day  6,  7,  8:  continue  the  step  that  was  followed  on  day  2,  3,  4.

Day  9:  continue  the  step  that  was  followed  on  day  1.

Day  10,  11,  12:  continue  the  step  that  was  followed  on  day2,  3,  4.

Day  13,  14,  15:  Do  100%  W/C  and  use  4  Metrogyl  tablets  per  100  litre  of  water.  Continue  it  for  3  days.  (Start  Deworming  process)

Day  16,  17,  18:  continue  the  step  that  was  followed  on  day  13.  Feed  them  with  small  quantity.

Day  19,  20,  21:  continue  the  step  that  was  followed  on  day13.  Feed  them  normally.  

Discus  External  parasites:
 It  seems  that  your  discus  fishes  are  suffering  from  external  parasites.   So  to  avoid  this  you  have  to  follow  either  of  these  2  steps:

Step  1:  (Treatment  with  Potassium  Permanganate  solution)

1.First  make  a  solution  of  potassium  permanganate.  
 2.Use  this  PP  solution  in  your  hospital  tank  where  you  will  have  to  keep  those  discus  until  water  turns  into  baby  pink  colour.
 3.The  effect  of  PP  stays  up  to  4  hours.  So  if  you  follow  treatment  with  PP  solution  so  you  have  to  change  water  thrice  a  day.  
 4.After  few  hours  of  treating  it  with  PP  solution  you’ll  find  that  water  slowly  turns  brownish.  That  means  the  power  of  PP  slowly  reduces.  This  colour  change  is  a  good  method  to  detecting  power  of  PP  solution.
 5.Change  100%  water  and  continue  the  same  thrice  a  day.
 6.Totally  you  have  to  continue  at  least  7-10  days  until  your  discus  will  completely  disease  free.
 7.Always  use  heavy  aeration  during  this  course.

How  comes:
 Potassium  permanganate  (KMnO4)  is  an  inorganic  chemical  compound.  This  is  highly  reactive  certain  conditions  it  acts  as  an  oxidant.  It  will  oxidize  a  wide  variety  of  inorganic  and  organic  substances.  Potassium  permanganate  (Mn  7+)  is  reduced  to  manganese  dioxide  (MnO2)  (Mn  4+)  which  precipitates  out  of  solution.

MnO4-  +  4H+  +  3e-  ->  MnO2  +  2H2O   Eo  =  1.68V
 MnO4-  +  8H+  +  5e-  ->  Mn2+  +  4H2O Eo  =  1.51V

MnO4-  +  2H2O  +  3e-  ->MnO2  +  4OH-   Eo  =  0.60V

Step  2(using  Formaldehyde)

1.Use  3  ml  Formaldehyde  per  100  liter  of  water.
 2.Do  100%  water  change  daily  for  this  course.
 3.Continue  the  same  for  at  least  7-10  days  until  your  discus  will  completely  disease  free.
 4.Always  use  heavy  aeration  during  this  course.

How  comes:
 Formaldehyde  is  an  organic  compound  with  the  formula  CH2O.  It  is  the  simplest  form  of  aldehyde,this  is  also  known  as  methanal.  An  aqueous  solution  of  formaldehyde  can  be  useful  as  a  disinfectant  as  it  kills  most  bacteria  and  fungi  (including  their  spores).  Formaldehyde  solutions  are  applied  topically  in  medicine  to  dry  the  skin,  such  as  in  the  treatment  of  warts.  Many  aquarists  use  formaldehyde  as  a  treatment  for  the  parasites  Ichthyophthirius  multifiliis  and  Cryptocaryon  irritans.

How  to  prevent  ich  or  white  spot  disease  of  discus:
 Ich  or  white  spot  disease  of  Discus  is  one  of  the  major  factors  of  discus  fish  keeping.  This  can  happen  due  to  bad  water  parameters,  fluctuation  of  ph,  temperature  etc.  you  have  to  be  careful  during  season  change  when  these  above  causes  can  happen.  Hence  there  is  a  higher  chance  of  your  discus  to  be  affected  by  diseases  or  parasites  present  in  the  new  environment.  So  you  need  a  quarantine  tank  which  protects  your  fish  from  disease  and  allow  to  regain  optimum  health  before  they  are  shifted  your  main  tank.  Here  I  describe  my  own  method  of  how  to  fight  with  ich  of  discus…

Day  1:  start  the  quarantine  process  with  Oxytetracycline  500mg  tablets.  Dosage  is  5  tablets  per  100  liter  of  water.  Also  raise  temperature  at  32  degree  Celsius  during  this  course.  Most  of  the  parasites  will  kill  in  that  temperature.  Use  heavy  aeration  and  don’t  switch  on  any  kind  of  filters.

Day2,3  :  keep  it  as  it  is.

Day  4:  do  full  water  change  after  3  days.  Use  same  dosage  with  same  process  with  heavy  aeration  and  no  filters.  

Day  5,6:  keep  it  as  it  is.

Day  7:  continue  the  step  that  was  followed  on  day  4.

Day  8,9:  keep  it  as  it  is

Day  10:  continue  the  step  that  was  followed  on  day  4.

Day  11,  12:  continue  the  step  that  was  followed  on  day  8,  9.

Don’t  feed  them  during  this  course.  After  12  days  of  treatment  check  whether  ich  is  gone  or  not.  During  this  process,  you  may  find  that  colour  of  discus  is  gone.  There  is  no  need  to  worry  about  this.  Colour  will  come  back  again.  Then  start  feeding  in  small  quantity.  Observe  them  keeping  in  hospital  tank  for  further  4,5  days.  If  everything  is  going  on  well  keep  them  in  your  main  tank.

Deworming  of  discus:  

White  poop  for  discus  means  this  fish  is  affected  by  some  internal  parasites.  To  be  précised  it  is  tapeworms.

What  is  tapeworms:  
 Tapeworms  are  long,  segmented  worms  that  live  in  the  small  intestine  of  discus  attached  to  the  intestinal  wall  by  several  suckers  as  well  as  a  structure  called  a  Rostellum  which  resembles  like  a  hat  with  hooks  on  it.  The  class  of  this  tapeworm  is  Cestoda.  

How  they  look?
 This  tapeworm  can  grow  large.  An  adult  tapeworm  can  grow  even  upto  6  meter  or  more.  The  tapeworm’s  head  hooks  onto  it’s  intestine  by  tiny  teeth  and  the  worm  absorbs  nutrients  through  its  skin.  So  what  you  feed  to  your  discus  can  go  to  those  tapeworms.  Each  segment  contains  a  complete  set  of  organs.  When  the  segment  drops  off  from  the  tail  tip,  it  is  only  a  sac  of  eggs.  This  segment  is  white  and  able  to  move  when  it  is  fresh  and,  at  this  time,  looks  like  a  grain  of  white  rice.

Here  I  describe  my  own  method  of  how  to  process  deworming  of  discus…

Day  1:  start  the  deworming  process  with  metrogyl  400mg  tablets.  Proper  dosage  of  to  deal  with  deworming  process  is  5  metrogyl  400  tablets  per  100  litre  of  water.  So  basically  you  can  calculate  your  tank  water  volume  and  then  use  tablets  of  proper  dosage.  During  this  course,  there  should  be  no  filter  to  turn  on.  use  heavy  aeration  instead  of  filter.

Day2,  3:  keep  your  tank  as  it  is.

Day  4:
 change  full  water  and  then  reintroduce  the  previous  dosage  like  day1.

Day  5,6:  keep  your  tank  as  it  is.

Day  7:  change  full  water  and  then  reintroduce  the  previous  dosage  like  day1.

Day  8,9:  keep  your  tank  as  it  is.

Day  10:  change  full  water  and  then  reintroduce  the  previous  dosage  like  day1.

Day  11,12:  keep  your  tank  as  it  is.

After  that  the  deworming  dosage  is  complete.  You  can  feed  them  small  amount  of  foods  after  the  treatment  is  over.  Gradually  increase  feed  more.  I  think  they  will  accept  food  after  this  process.

Sex  –One  of  the  biggest  question  asked  frequently  of  the  discus  breeder  is  “how  do  I  determine  the  sex  of  my  fish?”  So,  I  try  to  describe  a  little.

In  juvenile  fish,  determining  sex  is  almost  impossible.  It  is  only  when  they  begin  to  pair  off  that  an  opportunity  arises  to  help  in  the  determination  of  sex.  Juvenile  fish,  both  male  and  female,  have  a  rounded  dorsal  fin,  and  it  is  not  until  they  begin  to  mature  that  a  difference  Can  be  detected.  

The  male  discus  will  have  thicker  lips  to  aid  him  in  his  fight  to  protect  the  female,  and  male  discus  can  become  more  aggressive.  The  male  will  be  larger  than  the  female,  his  forehead  is  thicker,  and  we  have  observed  that  if  the  discus  is  a  bit  shy,  the  male  will  have  a  tendency  to  stay  between  the  female  and  the  observer.  

Moreover,  we  can  distinguish  the  male  and  female  discus  by  laying  tube  and  the  spine  of  the  anal  fin.  Closer  is  female.  (Near  the  anal  fin).  The  laying  tube  of  the  female  is  boarder  for  the  tube  to  deliver  eggs.

Check  the  colour  and  pattern  of  your  discus  fish;  compare  the  discus  to  one  another  in  the  tank.  Some  fish  will  have  more  intense  colour  and  some  discus  will  have  more  pattern.  Male  discus  fish  tend  to  have  less  intense  colour  but  have  more  pattern  while  the  female  tends  to  be  more  colourful  but  with  lesser  pattern.

Sexing  Discus  is  the  most  difficult.  The  easiest  way  to  do  so  is  to  raise  a  group  of  at  least  six  to  eight  discuses,  so  that  they  can  form  community  and  allow  them  to  pair  off  when  ready.  It  is  a  beautiful  sight  to  see.

Also  during  laying  time  (no  matter  it  will  fertilise  or  not,  when  a  female  discus  will  mature  and  have  eggs  to  her  belly  she  will  lay)  you  can  find  a  small  laying  tube  is  developed.  To  see  this  laying  tube  one  can  surely  say  that  this  is  a  female  discus.

Spawning  –  The  best  and  primary  way  to  breed  discus  is  to  keep  breeding  pair  of  discus.  Raise  discus  from  juvenile  age  and  then  finally  get  a  breeding  pair  is  obviously  a  time  taking  factor.  Hence  you  can  buy  adult  discus.  You  can  get  a  breeding  pair  of  discus  in  various  ways.  First  you  can  buy  discus  of  same  strain  and  then  you  can  get  a  breeding  pair.  I  think  if  you  buy  4  discus  of  same  strain  so  that  you  can  get  1  pair.  Otherwise  you  have  to  buy  a  confirm  breeding  pair  of  discus.  But  this  will  obviously  have  high  budget  issue.  

Most  discus  breeder  keeps  the  bare  bottom  tank  to  breed  discus.  The  female  lays  her  eggs  (up  to  200)  on  a  vertical  support  (PVC  pipe,  plant  pot,  aquarium  glass),  with  hatching  following  in  about  three  days;  the  fry  remain  attached  by  their  heads  and  only  start  swimming  two  or  three  days  later,  under  the  supervision  of  the  parent  fish.  But  I  think  to  remember,  once  you  find  your  discus  start  moving  together  and  the  female  discus  starts  trial  run  for  laying  eggs,  you  have  to  shift  them  in  a  breeding  tank.  In  the  breeding  tank  there  will  be  1  sponge  filter.  

Other  type  of  aquarium,  which  is  used  to  breed  discus,  is  the  planted  tank.  Planted  tank  means  an  aquarium  is  full  of  natural  plants.  But  it  is  very  important  to  note  that  in  discus  aquarium  only  a  few  types  of  plants  can  survive.  Those  plants  are  echinodorous  sp.  and  Anubias  sp.  Most  discus  can  lay  eggs  on  the  echinodorous  sp.  plants.  The  large  leaves  of  these  plants  are  very  attractive  to  them.  

For  a  breeding  pair  of  discus  the  selection  of  food  is  also  very  important.  As  I  described  earlier,  you  can  feed  them  BHM,  GHM,  hikari  discus  bio  gold,  ants  eggs,  frozen  dried  bloodworms  (occasionally),  tetra  bits  etc.

Types/varieties  –

Blue  Strain
 Blue   diamond

Cobalt  blue

Blue  scorpion
 Blue  butterfly
 Blue  turquoise
 Blue  snakeskin
 Ocean  green

White  Strain
 snow  white
 white  butterfly

white  diamond
 White  Scorpion
 Nebula  ghost

Red/Orange/Yellow  Strain
 san  merah
 sunshine  orange

red  rose
 checkerboard

pigeon  blood
 red  map

Red  golden  diamond
 Ruby  red
 Red  cover
 Mandarin  passion
 Red  passion
 Red  and  white
 Yellow  melon

Red  melon
 White  face  red  melon
 Yellow  crystal
 Yellow  and  white  discus
 Millennium  gold

Striated  Strain
 red  turquoise  
 blue  turquoise
 brilliant  blue  turquoise
 tiger  turquoise
 blue  snakeskin
 red  snakeskin  (snakeskin)
 tiger  snakeskin
 altum  flora
 giant  flora
 tefe  green

Spotted  Strain
 leopard  
 spotted  /  dotted  leopard

ornamental  leopard
 white  leopard  
 face  spotted  leopard  
 leopard  snakeskin

golden  leopard
 golden  leopard  snakeskin
 turquoise  leopard
 penang  eruption
 spotted  eruption
 super  eruption

Albino  strain
 Albino  blue  diamond
 Albino  cobalt  blue
 Albino  red  and  white
 Albino  butterfly
 Albino  turquoise
 Albino  golden  turquoise
 Albino  leopard
 Albino  leopard  snakeskin
 Albino  snakeskin
 Albino  yellow  melon
 Albino  red  melon
 Albino  snow  white
 Albino  white  scorpion
 Albino  yellow  diamond  
 Albino  yellow  crystal
 Albino  yellow  and  white
 Albino  millennium  gold
 Albino  RGD  (red  golden  diamond)

High  fin  high  body  &  Bulldog

All  above  strains  can  be  observed  also  as  high  fin  high  body  and  bulldog  strains.  These  are  deformed  type  of  discus.

wild  caught  discus  strain
 nhamunda  
 mari  mari
 alenquer
 tapajos  golden
 curuai
 blue  moon
 semi  royal  
 brown  
 amana
 jutai
 purus
 abacaxi
 unini
 blue  heckel
 tefe  green

**yet  to  complete
Deepak267
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:19 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Database Reply with quote

Excellent...  Keep  it  up
sreeni_mysore
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:22 am Post subject: Re: Discus Database Reply with quote

Top  class.
 One  of  the  best  post  on  Discus.

~thanks
 Sreeni
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:38 am Post subject: Re: Discus Database Reply with quote

Oh!  Man.....
 thats  really  lots  of  information  unfolded.  Rock On
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:29 am Post subject: Re: Discus Database Reply with quote

Achintya,
 Your  article  will  be  better  off  without  the  medicine  section  mentioning  the  dosages  of  those  chemicals.
 Believe  me,  to  a  beginner  they  can  do  more  harm  than  good.
 Quite  a  few  discrepancies  especially  concerning  over-dosage,  compatibility  and  temperature  suggestions  are  existent.
 Otherwise  quite  a  well  assembled  collection  of  discus  information.
bengalman
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:11 am Post subject: Re: Discus Database Reply with quote

thank  you  all.

swarnendu  da,i  totally  agree  with  you.i  know  in  temperature,tankmates  i  write  something  different  than  it.this  atricle  is  for  newcomers  to  discus  who  can  keep  other  fishes  with  discus.but  if  it  is  I  then  i  must  keep  discus  alone.and  you  also  know  that  i  keep  discus  only,same  words  go  for  temperature  also.we  are  'old  school'  towards  discus,and  we  don't  prefer  any  deviation  from  this  thing.but  as  i  told  this  is  for  newcomers  so  i  wrote  this.
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:37 am Post subject: Re: Discus Database Reply with quote

Honestly  I  could  not  follow  what  you  just  said.
 Dosage  of  chemicals  has  nothing  to  do  with  our  'school'  of  thoughts  and  newcomers  should  have  more  accurate  information.  
 Let  us  be  more  specific  and  tabulate  the  anomalies.
 1.It  is  improper  for  the  beginner  to  be  told  to  prepare  a  PP  solution  and  rely  on  its  colour  to  ascertain  its  concentration.The  usual  dosage  of  2ppm  does  not  find  a  mention  in  your  post  leave  alone  how  to  prepare  it.That's  dangerous!
 2.PP  being  an  oxidizing  agent  deprives  the  water  of  dissolved  oxygen  and  so  does  a  rise  in  temperature.A  combination  of  both  can  kill  your  fish.So,  never  raise  the  water  temperature  while  performing  PP  treatment.
 3.Parasites  are  not  killed  at  32  deg  C.  It  is  their  preferred  temperature.
 4.Antibiotic(Tetracycline)  dosage  of  2.5  grams/100  litre  of  water  for  a  long  bath  is  detrimental  to  the  internal  organs  of  a  fish.A  dosage  of  3-3.5  grams  per  100  litre  is  considered  a  safe  dose  for  a  3  hour  bath  and  a  long  bath  requires  3/5th  of  the  short  bath  strength.
 5.All  Tetracyclines  are  photo  sensitive.A  treatment  without  covering  the  tank  would  render  the  chemical  useless  and  may  develop  resistance  from  the  pathogens.I  do  not  find  it  mentioned  in  you  post.
 6.For  24  hour  baths,  metro  dosage  should  not  exceed  1gram/100  litres  and  your  recommended  dosage  of  1.6g/litre  is  more  suited  for  a  booster  dose  where  you  change  100%  water  every  4-8  hours.
 7.Continuous  treatment  of  a  discus  in  PP  for  7-10  days  is  a  frightening  proposition.Rethink  it.
 8.White  poop  is  not  necessarily  a  sign  of  tapeworms  and  metro  does  not  kill  tapeworms.The  difference  between  Deworming  and  Deflagellating  should  be  crystal  clear  before  you  venture  into  advising  beginners.
 9.For  a  beginner  it  is  vital  to  know  that  PP  and  Formaldehyde  can  prove  to  be  fatal  for  the  fish  if  combined.When  you  discuss  both  of  them  this  point  should  be  highlighted.
 10.It  is  surprising  that  you  suggest  treating  ich  with  antibiotics.That  is  plain  irresponsible!How  do  you  kill  a  protozoan  disease  with  chemicals  designed  to  kill  bacteria.Mere  raising  of  tank  temperature  to  32  deg  C  along  with  rock  salt  at  100grams  per  100  litre  of  water  should  cure  the  fish  in  a  couple  of  days.
 You  may  have  noticed  how  careful  people  like  Shiva  Nair  are  while  suggesting  medicine  doses  even  though  they  know  them  like  the  back  of  their  hands.  I  remember  how  he  taught  me  to  prepare  a  PP  solution  over  the  phone  repeatedly  asking  me  to  repeat  what  he  said  to  ensure  the  process  gets  embedded  in  my  head.That  is  what  responsible  fishkeeping  is  all  about  and  I  believe  you  will  agree  without  any  hard  feelings!
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:21 am Post subject: Re: Discus Database Reply with quote

Again  the  same  wine  in  New  bottle.  

Sorry  Banglaman.............The  same  pictures  I  am  seeing  last  3  years..........

Guys,  There  is  already  a  nice  write  up  by  Yogesh.  Also  another  few  from  Beta  .......Have  you  read  those  !!

For  newcomers,  the  guide  should  be  experienced  like  Shiva,  Yogesh,  Beta  M.,  Adesh,  Swarnendu,  Kiransankpal................

BUT  IF  READY  TO  KILL  YOUR  DISCUS  PLEASE  GO  AHEAD  WITH  THE  "Excellent",  "Top  Class"  write  up........

In  this  wirte  up  there  is  lot  of  mis-leading  and  wrong  information.

Never  mind  Banglaman.........copying  information  from  google  and  jot  down  together  will  not  help  much.

WE  NEED  PRACTICAL  EXPERIENCE................AND  THERE  LOT  OF  MIS  INFORMATION  ............

Shiva  breed  his  discus  where  ph  level  is  8+.......

So  who  told  above  7.8  ph  is  bad  !!  Where  GH,  KH  !!

What  should  be  the  ideal  combination  of  ph,  gh  &  kh  !!

What  should  be  the  ideal  parameter  of  ppm!!

PP  treatment  for  the  "Newcomer"-------  oh  my  God  !!  It  kill  both  Discus  as  well  as  the  Hobby............

Please  think  twice  ,  thrice  before  you  post  anything  serious  like  this.   

No  personal  issue........

Last edited by abhis9 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:02 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Database Reply with quote

And  you  forgot  to  mention  the  use  of  hypo  while  treating  discus  with  pp.  I  can  remember  from  Shiva  sir's  posts.
 and  how  dengerous  it  is  to  use  pp  in  hard  water.

Last edited by deepakg on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
sergiomiranda_2181
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:06 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Database Reply with quote

Clapping   Clapping   Clapping  just  written  like  a  true  discus  patriot

absolutely  fantastic  man   Rock On   Rock On  

Regards
 Sergio  M.
sreeni_mysore
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:35 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Database Reply with quote

Hi  deepak,
       Is  this  the  post  you  are  talking  about
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8621&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=shiva&start=15
   Are  you  taking  about  HYPO  or  FORMALIN  ?

~Thanks,
 Sreeni
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:48 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Database Reply with quote

Hypo(Sodium  ThioSulphate)  generally  we  use  as  a  anti-cholirne.

Also  while  we  treating  our  fishes  with  PP  and   it  became  overdose  then  we  immediately  give  Hypo
 for  defuse  the  PP's  action.

Formalin  treatment  is  like  PP  treatment  but  more  powerful  and  also  more  delicate  than  PP.

Last edited by abhis9 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:48 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Database Reply with quote

sreeni_mysore  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  deepak,
       Is  this  the  post  you  are  talking  about
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8621&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=shiva&start=15
   Are  you  taking  about  HYPO  or  FORMALIN  ?

~Thanks,
 Sreeni                

Yes.  Sreeni   Smile  thanks  for  link.
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:11 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Database Reply with quote

And  about  parasites..
 we  increase  temp  to  speed  up  their  life  cycle.  They  dont  die  off  if  we  increase  temparature..  we  have  to  syphon  or  change  100pers   water  to  getrid  of  them.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: