51. Guest
52. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,937

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Please help!!! Oily film on aquarium water.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Please help!!! Oily film on aquarium water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Water Chemistry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmsanjeevkumar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:31 pm Post subject: Please help!!! Oily film on aquarium water. Reply with quote

Hello  IAH'ians,

I  have  a  10  gal  (45  litres)  planted  tank  having  only  shrimps.  This  tank  uses  a  hanging  filter.  The  issue  is  I  see  some  kind  of  oily  substance  floating  on  the  water.  ┬áIn  my  opinion  I  feel  that  when  a  shrimp  goes  near  the  bottom  end  of  the  filter  where  the  water  is  sucked;  it  gets  trapped..  and  eventually  dies..releasing  the  oily  stuff,  which  then  floats  on  the  water.  (I'm  not  sure  about  it  though).

Initially  there  was  a  skimmer  attached  with  the  filter  which  I  removed.  Reason  was  shrimps  used  to  enter  the  filter  through  the  skimmer.  Some  survived  while  some  could  not:(

I  have  also  covered  the  bottom  opening  with  a  sponge  to  avoid  any  kind  of  casualties.  Any  idea  what  might  be  contributing  to  the  floating  oily  substance?

Also  do  I  need  to  change  the  filter  to  a  canister  filter?

If  yes,  can  some  body  suggest  me  a  economy  way  to  get  a  canister  filter(DIY,  2nd  hand  stuff  etc).

Thanks  In  Advance!
 Sanjeev
 G  M  Palya,  Bangalore
angel_lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:31 pm Post subject: Re: Please help!!! Reply with quote

Hang-On  filter  should  just  work  fine  for  your  setup.  You  could  always  the  cover  the  inlet  with  a  net  to  prevent  shrimps  from  being  sucked  in.

I  believe  the  problem  is  due  to  poor  water  quality/  insuficient  surface  agitation.  Do  more  frequent  water  changes.  About  25%  at  a  time.  Increase  the  surface  movement.  See  if  it  helps.

Since  you  mentioned  it  being   a  planted  setup,  do  you  use  Co2  ?
rmsanjeevkumar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:48 pm Post subject: Re: Please help!!! Reply with quote

Hi  Rahul,

Thank  You  for  the  response.  I've  covered  the  inlet  with  a  sponge..  but  then  it  keeps  getting  blocked  pretty  soon..  so  I  end  up  cleaning  the  sponge  once  in  2  days...  I  used  to  use  the  DIY  Co2,  but  after  I  shifted  the  tank  to  the  floor,  the  CO2  stopped  coming..  I  believe  it  is  getting  generated  but  not  enough  pressure  to  enter  the  tank  Sad  ..  so  NO  CO2  at  the  moment...  the  plants  also  started  getting  sick  mainly  the  Anubias..  so  I've  started  adding  4ml  of  fertilizers(each)  every  2  days..  I  do  not  remember  the  name  of  the  fertilizers  bottle..  but  one  consists  of  the  Macro  Nutrients(NPK)  and  the  other  Micro(Cleated  Iron  etc)..  I'll  post  the  names  and  pics  once  I  reach  home  :)

I've  already  changed  water  twice  this  week..  but  then  I'll  follow  your  direction..  will  change  25%  today  and  see  if  that  helps:)

Anything  else  that  needs  to  be  done:)

IAH  Rocks!

Sanjeev
 G  M  Palya,  Bangalore
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:01 pm Post subject: Re: Please help!!! Reply with quote

Does  the  water  stored  in  buckets  for  daily  use  have  a  oily  film  on  it?  Observe  that.  
 Secondly  Anubias  does  not  need  that  amount  of  dosing.  Reduce  that  or  eliminate  that  all  together.

The  water  you  are  using  is  Bore-well?

Regards,

P.S:  I  have  edited  your  thread  name.  Next  time  kindly  make  it  more  meaningful.......  than  "  Please  help".
rmsanjeevkumar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:44 pm Post subject: Re: Please help!!! Oily film on aquarium water. Reply with quote

Hi  Nayak,

The  water  stored  in  buckets  doesn't  have  any  oil  film.  Moreover  the  oil  film  doesn't  appear  immediately  (not  at-least  in  the  next  3-4  hours)  after  I  change  the  water..  As  I  mentioned  earlier  I  suspect  the  shrimps  that  are  getting  sucked  release  the  oily  substance,  though  I'm  not  sure  about  it.  

I  was  not  dosing  anything  till  the  recent  past..  The  leaves  of  the  anubias  have  holes..  and  have  crumbled  and  look  very  sick..  I'll  try  to  capture  a  good  picture  using  my  pin-point  camera..  not  sure  if  there  is  any  tweaking  that  needs  to  be  done  in  order  to  capture  the  issue.  [I  had  tried  before  but  the  quality  of  the  picture  is  pathetic  Sad  ]

I  started  dosing  the  fertilizers  3-4  days  back  after  going  through  a  thread  about  the  plants  nutrition  here  in  IAH.

And  yes,  I'm  sorry  for  the  incomplete  thread  name..  thank  you  for  editing  it..  I'll  definitely  keep  this  in  mind..
GANESAA
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:52 pm Post subject: Re: Please help!!! Oily film on aquarium water. Reply with quote

@  rasikanayak  ,  sanjeev,  

I  too  got  the  same  problem  oily  stuff  floating  on  the  water...   to  be  frank   Shocked  it  happened  for  me  because  i  insert  my  entire  hand  into  the  water.
rmsanjeevkumar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:56 pm Post subject: Re: Please help!!! Oily film on aquarium water. Reply with quote

Ah  ha...  well  I  had  inserted  my  hand  into  the  water.....  not  sure  if  this  caused  the  issue..  how  do  we  get  rid  of  it?

IAH  Rocks  Rock On
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:02 pm Post subject: Re: Please help!!! Oily film on aquarium water. Reply with quote

Such  oil  films  are  common  and  not  a  cause  of  great  worry,  simple  surface  agitation  will  get  rid  of  them..
 Anubias  do  not  need  much  fertilization,  just  leave  them  alone.
 Air  driven  sponge  filters  are  a  good  option  in  shrimp  tanks.
nishikant
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:29 am Post subject: Re: Please help!!! Oily film on aquarium water. Reply with quote

to  get  rid  of  oily  film  put  some  floating  plants  in  your  tank  n  wait  for  2  to  3  days
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:52 am Post subject: Re: Please help!!! Oily film on aquarium water. Reply with quote

Its  velvet.  It  deadly  Crying or Very sad  
 Just  get  rid  of  that  filter  and  use  something  harmless.  And  try  something  that  does  not  kill  your  shrimps.  Dailly  water  change..  a  little  bit  atleast  for  surface  agitation.
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:57 am Post subject: Re: Please help!!! Oily film on aquarium water. Reply with quote

nishikant  wrote  (View  Post):                
to  get  rid  of  oily  film  put  some  floating  plants  in  your  tank  n  wait  for  2  to  3  days                

What  is  the  underlying  theory?

Most  of  the  cases  this  oily  surface  is  "biofilm",  surface  skimmer  or  water  agitation  will  break  it  up.  you  can  also  use  paper  towel  however  that  would  be  more  of  a  manual  effort.

I  keep  my  canister  filter's  outflow  at  water  surface  due  to  this  problem  to  have  enough  agitation  and  it  never  appears  or  is  negligible.

Cheers,
 Binesh
GANESAA
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:33 am Post subject: Re: Please help!!! Oily film on aquarium water. Reply with quote

One  more  method  to  get  rid  of  this  ..  Just  place  a  paper  in  the  net  and  take  out  the  floating  oils.  Thumb Up
rmsanjeevkumar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:10 pm Post subject: Re: Please help!!! Oily film on aquarium water. Reply with quote

Hello  All,

Thank  you  for  the  help..  

Well  the  oily  film  was  due  to  less  surface  agitation.  This  happened  as  I  had  removed  the  surface  skimmer  from  the  hanging  filter.  Reason  was  shrimps  used  to  enter  via  the  skimmer  Sad  

As  of  now,  I've  covered  the  inlet  with  a  sponge..  and  also  attached  the  surface  skimmer  back  to  the  filter..  within  minutes  the  issue  was  resolved..

Currently  the  tank  is  under  observation..  hopefully  no  shrimps  go  near  the  skimmer   Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Water Chemistry All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: