100. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,463

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Pradeep's Reef
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Pradeep's Reef
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:09 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

[quote="aquascapes"]                                                  
Quote:                

Surprised  don't  you  feel  it  is  a  bit  too  powerful  for  your  3'  tank?
 I'd  suggest  you  to  buy  a  humble  'co-current'  air  powered  skimmer  and  use  it  for  your  cycling  (cheap  and  effective)                

Actually  the  skimmer  is  quite  large  and  the  problem  could    the  pump  running  it  is  too  small.  I'll  try  get  a  larger  pump  tomorrow.

My  own  skimmer  will  be  here  in  3  weeks  and  I  spent  a  bomb  on  that.  I  can't  buy  another  skimmer  which  I  ll  get  rid  of  in  3  weeks.

Quote:                
I  think  with  the  kind  of  dead  matter  you  describe  -  I  think  you  should  start  getting  some  skimmate  by  now!
 Which  skimmer  do  you  use?  company  &  model?                

Yup  ,  we  are  now  officially  skimming.
 It  took  around  12  hours  to  start  up,  probably  because  I  kept  putting  my  hands  in  the  water.
 24  hours  down  the  line  we  have  light  brown  skimmate.

I  am  using  a  Weipro  2014  which  I  ve  borrowed  from  a  friend.  
 I  ve  already  bought  an  AquaC  Remora  which  is  on  its  way.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:29 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  think  reading  power  head  for  weipro
 might  help!

I  might  be  wrong  but,  I  think  it  (the  skimmer)  is  meant  for  a  150  gallon  tank  so  even  the  skimmer  is  too  big  for  your  set-up  which  can  strip  your  water  of  the  necessary  trace-elements  very  soon  be  particular  with  the  trace  element  tests  and  dosings!

Quote:                
24  hours  down  the  line  we  have  light  brown  skimmate.                  

then  don't  use  a  powerful  pump  if  you  are  getting  skimmate.

Last edited by aquascapes on Tue May 23, 2006 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:44 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Finally  I  think  we  are  getting  to  a  stable  point  in  the  tank.  The  cloudiness  has  dissappeared  and  the  dieoff  has  reduced  to  a  large  extent.  The  skimmer  is  pulling  out  incredible  amounts  of  black  goo.  

I  did  2  PWCs  on  Wednesday  and  Sunday  but  the  water  was  still  very  cloudy  and  there  was  some  major  dieoff.  The  coralline  started  bleaching  on  some  of  the  rocks.  

Since  I  was  using  the  existing  pump  to  power  the  skimmer,  the  flow  in  the  tank  was  prctically  non  -  existant  causing  the  dieoff.  I  added  a  2100  lt/hr  pump  to  the  tank  which  will  (hopefully)  circulate  water  in  the  tank  at  10x  an  hour.

The  coralline  bleaching  was  also  something  I  did  not  foresee.  
 I  dosed  a  litre  of  Calcium  Hydroxide  soln  and  the  effects  were  unbelievable.  Coralline  growth  that  was  completely  bleached  grew  back  in  the  18  hours  since  lights  off  last  night.  So  if  you  want  good  coralline  algae  ,  Calcium  is  a  must.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:28 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
I  dosed  a  litre  of  Calcium  Hydroxide  soln  and  the  effects  were  unbelievable.  Coralline  growth  that  was  completely  bleached  grew  back  in  the  18  hours  since  lights  off  last  night.  So  if  you  want  good  coralline  algae  ,  Calcium  is  a  must.                

well  yes  and  no!
 I  actually  find  it  difficult  to  digest  that  the  bleached  coralline  can  spring  back  in  just  18hours  by  just  the  Kalkwasser!
 One  liter  of  lime  water  is  fine  but  what  was  the  concentration?  What  is  the  hardness  of  your  water?  pH?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pironya
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:49 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

hi

coralline  resurrection  in  18  hours  is  definitely  unheard  of...

you  would  want  to  be  careful  in  using  the  kalkwasser..make  sure  it  is  slowly  dripped  to  avoid  ph  shifts(hope  this  is  what  you  did)

also  make  sure  you  test  for  calcium  frequently  while  using  kalk  as  any  overdose  can  result  in  a  calcium  precipitation(snowstorm)

and  you  definitely  want  lots  of  circulation  while  curing  live  rock..helps  wah  off  the  dieoff  and  provide  oxygenated  water  for  the  bacteria

regards
 arvind
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:12 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  am  using  Uzbekistani  Labs  Saltvatertestinappuratusk,  same  as  Hambone  from  RC.

Water  Parameters
  Ammonia:  Da
  Nitrites:  Da
  Nitrates:  Nien  
  Calcium:  Da
  Alkalinity:  Da
  Specific  Gravity:  Da
  pH:  Da

Smile  Just  kidding.  
 I  can't  really  test  water  params  till  my  kits  arrive  so  1  spoon  of  Kalk  in  3  liters  of  water  mixed  thoroughly.  I  am  dripping  very  small  amounts  at  a  time.  
 The  mixture  was  allowed  to  settle  and  the  clear  liquid  was  dripped  overnight  using  a  drip  set.  It  took  maybe  5-6  hours  for  the  kalk  to  totally  drip  into  the  tank.  
 I  started  to  drip  at  11  after  lights  out  and  the  bottle  was  a  quarter  full  at  3  am.

Pironya  no  kidding  -  there  are  slight  extrusions  on  one  of  the  LRs  (something  like  a  golf  ball)  and  the  coralline  had  almost  completely  disappeared  yesterday.  Today  they  are  half  covered.
pironya
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:31 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

hi

great  to  know  you  already  have  coralline  growing.

i  think  it  would  be  a  good  idea  to  wait  for  your  calcium  test  kits  before  dripping  any  more  kalkwasser...

if  your  tank  water  already  has  anything  nearing  500  ppm  calcium  and  you  drip  more  without  knowing  it,  what  happens  is  this  weird  calcium  crystals  that  look  like  snowflakes  start  precipitating  and  the  tank  water  goes  milky..the  ph  falls  and  the  alkalinity  drops...the  invertebrates  like  tiny  worms  etc  and  any  other  livestock  on  the  rock  is  under  stress..some  may  also  die  triggering  off  an  ammonia  spike  which  further  complicates  the  problem...net  result  your  tank  will  be  back  to  square  one  before  even  its  finished  cycling

maybe  im  paranoid  but  i  thought  id  warn  you  just  in  case  cos  the  same  thing  happened  to  me  and  all  the  life  on  the  rock  died  excepting  the  coralline...you  dont  want  such  a  situation  to  happen  to  your  tank..esp  after  youve  waited  and  learnt  so  much  before  taking  the  plunge

hope  this  helps

regards
 arvind
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:27 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Ok,  I  know  I  ll  get  some  flak  for  this  but  I  added  a  couple  of  Clarkii  clowns  today.  
 The  tank  was  pretty  boring  while  just  cycling  with  LR  so  went  ahead  and  got  a  couple  of  2  inch  clowns.  
 Everything  has  stabililsed  and  there  is  no  dieoff  on  the  LR  anymore  so  I  figure  what  the  heck.
 The  tank  still  looks  boring  though  because  the  clowns  are  hiding  under  LR  since  they  got  in  Doh
spongebob
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:29 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hey  Pradeep,  How's  about  sum  pics  now?  Very Happy
pironya
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:50 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

hi  pradeep

hate  to  break  this  to  you..you  might  have  taken  a  bad  decision  by  introducing  those  clowns..hiding  behind  the  lr  aint  a  good  sign  as  clowns  are  very  inquisitive  and  are  mostly  in  full  view..you  sure  they  are  healthy?

i  am  asking  cos  i  have  had  bad  experiences  when  i  added  sebaes  to  my  tank...though  you  may  have  been  led  to  believe  that  clowns  are  really  hardy  the  wild  caught  ones  in  my  opinion  are  really  delicate..they  are  quite  hardy  once  settled  in  but  much  loss  occurs  during  acllimation  to  captivity

were  your  clowns  quarantined?IMO  this  is  absolutely  important  for  clowns  as  wild  caught  ones  almost  always  develop  brooklynella  as  soon  as  you  bring  them  home..atleast  this  has  been  my  experience

im  hoping  that  your  clowns  are  able  to  withstand  the  lr  curing  as  the  added  stress  may  cause  a  previously  dormant  parasite  to  manifest  as  an  infection..yuck!

be  ready  to  remove  the  clowns  to  a  qt  if  possible  if  they  show  any  whitish  coating  on  their  skin  or  refuse  to  feed

believe  me  hours  will  count  if  your  clowns  develop  something..ive  had  em  drop  dead  in  5  hrs!tht  wasnt  even  enough  time  for  me  to  get  formalin  for  treating  them!

if  your  clowns  were  captive  raised(imported?)  or  quarantined  all  this  advice  wont  apply..id  still  keep  a  watch  on  them  though

any  other  help..always  here  for  you!

regards

arvind
rskelkar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:21 pm Post subject: Please keep us posted with pictures Reply with quote

Dear  Pradeep,
 Your  topic  is  exremely  important  to  the  newbies  to  salt  hobby.  I  am  learning  a  lot  from  your  experience.  Please  keep  on  posting  pictures  also.
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:04 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

@Mr  Kelkar  &  Spongebob,
 I  have  taken  a  few  pics  on  the  cellphone  but  having  problems  with  my  bluetooth  device  on  the  computer.  I'll  try  get  it  sorted  out  over  the  weekend.
 My  camera  is  with  my  wife  and  she  should  be  back  in  2  weeks  time.

@Pironya  
 I  know  I  have  taken  a  risk  on  the  clowns  but  I  made  sure  of  a  few  things  before  I  put  them  in.

1.  They  were  definetely  in  my  LFS'  tank  for  at  least  5  days  before  I  got  them.  He  medicates  with  copper  in  his  tanks  -  not  sure  if  this  is  good  or  bad.
 2.  I  asked  him  to  feed  them  when  they  were  in  his  tank.  All  were  eating  fine.
 3.  I  picked  the  intermediate  sized  ones  of  similar  size  so  that  they  won't  fight  amongst  themselves.  One  of  them  is  already  dominant  though.

My  LR  is  cured.  There  hasn't  been  any  dieoff  since  Monday,  I  think  and  the  skimmate  is  progressively  lightening  in  colour  and  thickness.

The  only  thing  I  forgot  to  do  in  the  excitement  of  getting  the  clowns  was  a  FW  dip.

Tank  parameters  seem  ok.  There  are  worms  which  are  still  alive  and  moving  around  in  the  tank.  
 The  water  is  clear  and  no  smell.  The  LR  does  not  smell  either.  
 The  clowns  are  active  and  swimming  around  in  the  tank.  Its  only  when  they  see  anyone  approaching  the  tank  that  they  flee  into  the  LR.
 I  guess  this  is  natural  because  most  of  my  newly  acquired  fish  do  this  for  a  few  days.

Edit:  Got  the  picture  transfer  problem  sorted  out.

Few  photos  downloaded.  Its  3.30  am  and  I  need  to  sleep.

Skimmer  Running  

Thick  Gooey  Black  Skimmate  -  You  can  see  how  much  has  accumulated  in  the  skimmer  in  between  the  waterline  and  the  collection  cup.

I  caught  the  clowns  sleeping  so  a  couple  of  pics.
 Sleeping  Beauties

laluprasad
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:55 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

That's  indeed  a  A.  clarkii  from  the  books  of  Lalu's  Atlas  of  Marine  Fish    Chuckle  .  Boss  those  two  are  Sebae  Clowns,  a  typical  Indian  wild  Caught.  Know  your  fish  before  your  buy.
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:37 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

laluprasad  wrote:                
That's  indeed  a  A.  clarkii  from  the  books  of  Lalu's  Atlas  of  Marine  Fish    Chuckle  .  Boss  those  two  are  Sebae  Clowns,  a  typical  Indian  wild  Caught.  Know  your  fish  before  your  buy.                

Honestly,  I  thought  they  were  both  the  same  species.  Lots  of  ambiguity  and  misinformation  on  the  web.  A  lot  of  websites  I  have  visited  say  that  Clarkii  and  Sebae  species  are  the  same  fish.  A  lot  of  other  websites  say  that  its  is  more  probable  to  get  A.Clarkii    rather  than  A.Sebae,  and  it  is  the  most  widely  available  clownfish.  
 Both  are  available  in  the  Indian  Ocean.  Both  are  similarly  coloured  and  have  different  colour  morphs.  Easy  to  make  a  mistake  for  a  newbie  like  me.  

If  you  can  tell  me  how  to  differentiate  between  the  two,  I  would  be  etremely  obliged  to  you.
gokulin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:47 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hmmm....  Nice  thread....  somehow  I  have  missed  it  before....

Keep  updating  Pradeep!    Thumb Up  

All  the  best.....
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: