205. Guest
206. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,835

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Lost all fish - Thinking to setup a marine
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Lost all fish - Thinking to setup a marine
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:46 pm Post subject: Re: Lost all fish - Thinking to setup a marine Reply with quote

Ok,  its  very  difficult  for  anyone  to  tell  you  if  fans  alone  will  be  enough,  without  knowing  your  location,  humidity  in  your  area,  position  of  tank  and  a  bunch  more  things...  Short  answer,  you'll  have  to  try  it  out,  and  keep  temps  below  30  degrees,  preferably.  This  is  for  a  FOWLR.  Would  never  recommend  a  setup  for  a  reef  without  a  chiller.  It  can  be  done,  but  with  plenty  of  knowledge  and  experience.

Another  thing,  you  can  very  well  use  your  Cannister  Filter  for  biological  filtration.  A  lot  of  reefers  keep  saying  that  it  is  a  Nitrate  Factory  and  so  on.....  Assuming  that  is  true,  and  it  is  a  Nitrate  Factory,  where  is  the  RAW  MATERIAL  coming  from?...  From  keeping  EXCESSIVE  AMOUNTS  of  fish,  which  is  a  typical  mistake  of  those  that  begin  in  this  hobby.  The  filter  just  quickly  and  efficiently  converts  whatever  waste  is  already  present  in  the  water  to  NO3,  Nitrate.  It's  obviously  very  tempting  to  overstock,  when  you  see  the  myriad  of  colours  in  Marine  fish.  You  want  less  Nitrates?  Start  with  fewer  fish  and  smaller  feedings.

Bottomline:  A  cannister  filter  is  an  excellent  source  of  biological  filtration.  BUT  KEEP  IN  MIND  THAT  IT  NEEDS  TO  CLEANED  REGULARLY,  I.E.  EXCHANGE  AND  CLEAN  HALF  THE  MEDIA,  AND  REPLACE.  Failing  which,  nitrates  will  rise,  and  you  will  have  algae  all  over  your  tank.  Will  your  fish  suffer  from  this?  Nope.  

If  you  are  still  interested  in  going  Marine,  keep  the  cannister  for  the  first  year  or  so,  till  you  get  the  hang  of  things  and  then  decide.  If  anything,  the  skimmer  will  be  your  most  important  purchase,  choose  wisely   Very Happy
royalbijoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:18 pm Post subject: Re: Lost all fish - Thinking to setup a marine Reply with quote

A  few  more  queries:
 1.  How  long  can  the  marine  fishes  survive  without  food?  I  make  frequent  official  trips  and  so  always  depend  on  the  automatic  feeders.  They  have  worked  like  a  charm  all  these  years  and  I  know  for  sure  my  freshwater  fishes  can  survive  even  if  they  failed  for  some  reason.  Anyone  with  similar  problems??#
 2.  Any  specific  type  of  skimmer  I  should  look  for?
 3.  We  have  daily  power  cuts  here  in  Chennai(2  hrs).  Are  the  fishes  capable  of  overcoming  the  two  hour  no  filteration  times?
 4.  Has  anyone  drilled  holes  for  the  sump  in/out  pipes  in  their  glass  aquarium?  I  know  its  easy  if  you  do  it  before  fixing  the  glass,  but  not  sure  how  easy  that  would  be  on  a  completed  tank?  Mine's  12mm  in  thickness.
 5.  Is  wild  caught  fish  a  strict  NO  or  is  it  that  they  are  possible  only  in  a  well  established  tank?
 6.  Anyone  from  Chennai  please  comment  whether  a  FOWLR  tank  is  possible  without  chiller?  I  know  the  temp  can  go  uptp  39Deg  in  summer.  Will  fans  do  the  job?
 7.  How  long  can  the  fishes  be  kept  in  buckets  while  transporting?  Is  the  method  same  as  freshwater  fishes(oxygen  filled  polythene  covers)?  I  might  have  to  shift  my  home  over  a  period  of  years.  Anyone  who  has  transported  their  fishes  please  recommend  the  best  way  of  doing  so  and  if  so,  how  long  do  they  manage  to  travel  that  way.
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 pm Post subject: Re: Lost all fish - Thinking to setup a marine Reply with quote

A  few  more  queries:
 1.  How  long  can  the  marine  fishes  survive  without  food?  Depends  on  the  type  of  fish  (herbivore/omnivore/pure  carnivore),  health.  I'd  guess  about  a  week  should  be  ok.

2.  Any  specific  type  of  skimmer  I  should  look  for?  Reef  Octopus  with  Bubble  Blaster  pump  is  reasonable  and  good.

3.  We  have  daily  power  cuts  here  in  Chennai(2  hrs).  Are  the  fishes  capable  of  overcoming  the  two  hour  no  filteration  times?  Yep,  subject  to  number  of  fish,  type  of  fish  (i.e.  Tang  Vs.  Lionfish)  and  size  of  fish.

4.  Has  anyone  drilled  holes  for  the  sump  in/out  pipes  in  their  glass  aquarium?  I  know  its  easy  if  you  do  it  before  fixing  the  glass,  but  not  sure  how  easy  that  would  be  on  a  completed  tank?  Mine's  12mm  in  thickness.  Haven't  tried.

5.  Is  wild  caught  fish  a  strict  NO  or  is  it  that  they  are  possible  only  in  a  well  established  tank?  Captive  Bred  is  always  better.  That  said,  very  few  species  are  available,  and  most  hobbyist  don't  want  just  clownfish/damsels/dottybacks.  So  going  wild  requires  much  more  care  depending  on  type.

6.  Anyone  from  Chennai  please  comment  whether  a  FOWLR  tank  is  possible  without  chiller?  I  know  the  temp  can  go  uptp  39Deg  in  summer.  Will  fans  do  the  job?  There  are  a  number  of  capable  reefers  in  Chennai,  I'm  sure  they  will  help.

7.  How  long  can  the  fishes  be  kept  in  buckets  while  transporting?  Is  the  method  same  as  freshwater  fishes(oxygen  filled  polythene  covers)?  I  might  have  to  shift  my  home  over  a  period  of  years.  Anyone  who  has  transported  their  fishes  please  recommend  the  best  way  of  doing  so  and  if  so,  how  long  do  they  manage  to  travel  that  way.  -  Depends  on  size  of  fish  &  size  of  bag.  Have  done  24  hrs,  personally.
Mits
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:52 pm Post subject: Re: Lost all fish - Thinking to setup a marine Reply with quote

Hi  mate,  I  strongly  recommend  a  chiller  for  your  setup.....because  fishes  will  not  do  good  in  high  temperatures  and  they  will  soon  get  sick  and  die.  And  fans  will  not  help  you  out  in  chennai.
royalbijoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:55 pm Post subject: Re: Lost all fish - Thinking to setup a marine Reply with quote

Even  I  would  love  to  have  a  chiller  -  that  way  the  whole  world  of  corals  and  other  stuff  opens  up.  But  I  know  its  a  very  expensive  equipment  to  buy.  So  dropped  the  idea  of  corals  and  chillers.  Going  for  a  FOWLR  setup  for  now.....  Don't  want  to  risk  the  life  of  corals  for  my  greed.  Let  them  live  happily  in  the  ocean  floor.
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:01 am Post subject: Re: Lost all fish - Thinking to setup a marine Reply with quote

Well.....  if  you  have  power  outages  like  the  one  you  got,  then  imagine  a  loss  of  50K  +  the  time  spent  and  above  all  all  these  beautiful  creatures  dead.....

i  wont  argue  on  cost  because  iv  seen  people  spending  lakhs  and  people  spending  thousands  keeping  the  same  stuff  in  the  best  way.....  only  thing  id  tell  you  not  to  compromise  on  is  chiller,  test  kits  and  refractometer....  Just  keep  the  bioload  low  and  add  a  good  skimmer  a  refuge  in  sump  for  cheatomorpha,  dont  add  any  filter  media.....  If  possible  try  DIY  live  rock  and  add  just  1  or  two  Live  rock  as  a  seeder  in  sump,  within  a  month  you  will  get  all  the  good  things  everywhere....  and  yes  buy  quality  food  like  cyclopeeze,  ON  formula  2,  some  TLF  dried  weeds  for  tangs,  noori  and  NLS  thera  +A.....  NEVER  BUY  FISHES  LIKE  MANDRINS  etc.  that  need  live  food  like  pods.....  all  are  wild  caught  and  you  will  just  starve  them  to  death....  Never  feed  FW  feeder  fishes  to  SW  fishes...  many  guys  including  LFS  will  say  its  ok  but  its  not....these  fishes  have  a  life  span  of  12-15yrs  (like  lion  fish)  and  they  will  live  just  for  3yrs  max  and  die  a  really  painfull  death....  And  research  for  a  week  on  the  fish  you  are  intrested  in  and  then  buy....  Im  not  a  pro.  but  iv  learnt  things  in  this  hobby  the  hard  way......
asak
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:48 am Post subject: Re: Lost all fish - Thinking to setup a marine Reply with quote

Like  Mits  said  you  will  need  a  chiller  to  keep  the  fish  healthy  in  the  long  run.  Two  hour  power  cuts  are  ok  provided  you  have  an  invertor  running  the  main  circulation  pumps.  For  that  matter  even  the  8  hour  monthly  power  cut  does  not  cause  any  problem,  again  provided  you  have  an  invertor  to  run  the  main  pumps,  you  could  add  a  few  fans  to  cool  the  water.  Lights  and  chiller  do  not  necesarly  need  to  be  running  for  this  period.
Vipul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:47 pm Post subject: Re: Lost all fish - Thinking to setup a marine Reply with quote

Well  u  need  to  do  a  lot  of  reading  that  is  oblivious  
 anyways  I  will  reply  in  more  detail  about  a  few  things  later  
 but  regarding  the  drilling  the  hole  on  a  12mm  already  made  tank  
 its  not  a  big  deal  at  all  its  kinda  easy  
 just  need  to  know  that  if  its  tempered  glass  then  
 its  stupidity  but  apart  from  that  
 if  the  guy  has  experience  in  drilling  glass  then  gr8  
 or  else  just  remember  to  use  a  new  diamond  bit  
 use  plenty  of  water  and  use  a  drill  with  sped  settings  specially  on  lowest  possible  setting  
 and  rinse  a  few  times  after  doing     also  
 put  lot  of   celotape  on  the  other  side  so  that  u  don't  drop  the
   piece  of  glass  on  other  glass  after  u  push  thou  
 go  look  at  videos  on  youtube  there  r  loads  
 i've  drilled  on  mine  personally  with  15mm  glass  
 and  its  not  that  difficult  just  use  a  steady  hand  
 and  have  patients  
 and  always  go  1  size  more  than  u  think  u  need   the  most  important  tip
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:16 pm Post subject: Re: Lost all fish - Thinking to setup a marine Reply with quote

hey  i  am  also  a  newbie  like  you  just  my  2  cents  

READ  READ  and  READ  more  and  man  if  you  want  to  start  marine...  patience  is  the  key  to  success  

marine  is  expensive,  chiller  is  an  advisable  investment  to  make.  dont  make  impulsive  buy.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: