45. Guest
46. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black, solution found!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black, solution found!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:30 pm Post subject: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black, solution found! Reply with quote

Hi  All,

I  have  few  healthy  rhizomes  of  bolbitis  heudelotti  and  i  keep  getting  new  leaves  every  4  days  however  the  issue  i  have  is  that  the  new  leaves  remain  green  and  healthier  however  the  moment  that  rhizome  shoots  a  new  leaf  the  older  leaves  starts  truning  transparent,  becomes  brown/black  and  stays  like  that  thereafter....this  is  happening  to  each  and  every  old  leaf.  i  have  increased  the  dosing  of  k2so4  and  kno3  as  well  but  it  does  not  seem  to  help.  there  is  enough  water  circulation.  These  bolbitis  rhizomes  are  with  me  from  last  1  and  half  years  and  they  have  always  shown  this  pattern.

my  current  tank  specs  -  
 40x18x18  inch,  2x54watt  T5HO  for  8  hrs,  PMDD  dosing  (increased  by  30-40%  in  last  2  weeks).  2-3  bps  presurrized  co2.
 filteration  -  one  sunsun  1000l/h  canister  and  one  ehiem  500  l/h  canister.

attaching  3  pics,  one  of  the  oldest  leaf  which  is  almost  black,  one  relatively  old  which  is  slightly  brown  and  one  of  multiple  new  leaves  which  are  healthy  and  green.

all  other  plants  have  grown  without  any  issues.

Cheers,
 Binesh

Last edited by Binesh on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mama
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 am Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black Reply with quote

Even  I  am  facing  this  issue.  First  thought  It  has  to  be  something  due  to  temperature  as  the  plant  general  requires  very  cool  temperature  to  maintain  its  proper  form.  But  if  you  are  facing  this  issue  even  in  Bangalore  then  we  need  some  expert  advice  to  pitch  in.  Just  a  small  doubt  off-topic..  How  did  u  make  4  feet  tube  fit  into3.5  feet  tank.
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:13 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black Reply with quote

not  a  temperature  issue  for  sure.
 one  of  the  convincing  reason  that  i  read  could  be  excess  iron  in  water  column.  the  reason  i  tend  to  believe  so  is  that  i  tried  dosing  a  small  quantity  of  csm  in  my  tank  in  my  last  setup  and  it  triggered  a  lot  of  hair/thread  algae  immediately  which  probably  means  already  have  a  lot  of  iron  content  in  the  borewall  water  that  i  use.  starting  this  week  i  am  not  dosing  any  micro  at  all  for  a  few  weeks  and  will  see  if  that  helps  as  i  could  not  find  a  solid  method  to  remove  iron  content  from  water  column.  i  dont  have  a  test  kit  either.
 need  some  expert  advice  badly.

Cheers,
 Binesh
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:42 am Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black Reply with quote

yooo  hoo,  any  bolbitis  experts  here??

*bump?
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:45 am Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black Reply with quote

vijendra  in  gurgaon  also  had  similar  issues.  I  think  he  lost  the  plant  eventually  Sad
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:58 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black Reply with quote

Even  my  Bolbitis  is  pretty  non-exciting  types  and  has  a  few  bits  of  bba  growing  on  the  leaves.  trimming  doenst  seem  to  encourage  growth  much
ShankarB
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:53 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black Reply with quote

Something  similar  happened  to  mine  as  well  and  the  plant  eventually  died.   I  have  seen  many  saying  that  Bolbitis  will  do  well  in  moving  water,  esp.  the  roots  should  be  exposed  to  moving  water.   I  remember  seeing  an  old  time  post,  where  a  hobbyist  had  in  fact  made  special  arrangements  such  that  the  water  flows  over  the  the  roots.
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:53 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black Reply with quote

Mortis  wrote  (View  Post):                
Even  my  Bolbitis  is  pretty  non-exciting  types  and  has  a  few  bits  of  bba  growing  on  the  leaves.  trimming  doenst  seem  to  encourage  growth  much                

BBA  growth  might  be  on  older  leaves  &  i  think  that  is  to  an  extent  acceptable,  otherwise  the  leaves  are  healthy?

ShankarB  wrote  (View  Post):                

Something  similar  happened  to  mine  as  well  and  the  plant  eventually  died.   I  have  seen  many  saying  that  Bolbitis  will  do  well  in  moving  water,  esp.  the  roots  should  be  exposed  to  moving  water.   I  remember  seeing  an  old  time  post,  where  a  hobbyist  had  in  fact  made  special  arrangements  such  that  the  water  flows  over  the  the  roots.

i  have  enough  water  flow  on  the  roots  and  the  leaves,  also  when  rhizome  base  becomes  too  dense  eventually  it  stop  water  flow  onto  it  and  eventually  it  start  melting  and  hence  recommended  to  have  enough  water  flow  hitting  the  rhizome  directly.....seems  unrelated  to  the  leaves  turning  brown/black  in  my  case.

i  now  have  multiple  rhizomes  on  multiple  wood  and  all  are  growing  well,  every  week  i  get   1  or  2  leaves  from  each  rhizome  however  blackening  continues  to  haunt.

In  my  new  scape  i  am  using  soft  water  (Canned)  and  have  tied  2  rhizomes  of  bolbitis  to  see  if  it  helps.

Regards,
 Binesh
Anandaqu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:57 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black Reply with quote

Binesh,

I  am  no  expert.  But  I  read  a  post  by  Tom  Barr  saying  this  is  a  co2  issue.  I  assume  you  have  plenty  of  pressurised  co2  in  your  tank.  But  Barr  argued  that  Bolbitis  competes  poorly  with  other  plants  when  it  comes  to  fighting  for  Co2.  I  am  sure  you  can  google  this  up.

Cheers
 Anand
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:25 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black, Solution found Reply with quote

Hi  All,

Just  to  update  -  The  issue  was  hard  water,  in  my  new  setup  where  i  am  using  the  commercial  can  water  the  bolbitis  is  not  having  any  such  issues.  all  the  leaves  remain  healthy  and  green.

Cheers,
 Binesh
Chetesh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:18 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black, solution found Reply with quote

Thanks  Binesh  for  the  solution....Was  facing  the  same  isssue  as  yours...
 Will  try  growing  Bolbitis  heudelotti  in  soft  water....  Very Happy
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:57 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black, solution found Reply with quote

I   think  the  issue  is  light.  More  light,  plant  gets  deeper  green,  less  light,  it  remains  lighter  green.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:59 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black, solution found Reply with quote

Severumkid  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  ┬áthink  the  issue  is  light.  More  light,  plant  gets  deeper  green,  less  light,  it  remains  lighter  green.                

Dev,

With  bolbitis  more  light  would  mean  light  and  transparent  green  and  low  light  would  mean  deep  green,  however  the  issue  i  had  was  not  the  shade  of  green  but  the  old  leaves  turning  brown/black,  all  of  them  except  the  new  shoots.

Cheers,
 Binesh
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black, solution found Reply with quote

Thanks  a  lot  Binesh
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:10 am Post subject: Re: Bolbitis heudelotti - turnig brown/black, solution found Reply with quote

By  the  way  not  to  mention,  it  could  be  due  to  the  high  iron  content  in  my  hard  water....next  experiment  is  to  reduce  the  iron  content  to  see  if  that  gives  the  same  result.

Cheers,
 Binesh
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: