62. Guest
63. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,815

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Good bye planted, welcome marine
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Good bye planted, welcome marine
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Live Rock and Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:25 pm Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

wait  till  few  weeks  till  the  tank  completly  cycles  to  add  fishes
 it  will  take  a  day  or  two  to  clear  up  the  cloudy  water.  
 use  reefractometer  instead  of  hydrometer.  from  my  view  its  one  of  the  best  investment  and  is  precise.  
 prodibio  is  the  stuff  or  probiotic  ??  if  prodibio  then  its  pretty  popular  i  just  started  using  it  2  weeks  back  its  fun  to  use  them.  ll  have  to  wait  till  i  can  comment.  but  lots  and  lots  of  people  use  that  product  and  is  very  famous.  if  you  use  them  my  suggestion  is  to  use  them  before  you  introduce  the  fish.  

any  new  photo  update.  ??
cichlid_lover
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:52 pm Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

Thanks  jaival.  I  think  I  heard  him  say  pro  biotic.  He  gave  me  some  of  it  for  free  as  I  was  starting  my  tank....
 Another  quick  question,  what  role  do  lights  play  in  the  marine  aquarium?  LFS  was  promoting  a  JBL  T5  light  which  costs  1xxx  per  tube.
 He  said  the  company  guarenteed  the  product  for  6  years.  The  normal  T5  costs  1/4  of  it.  Anyone  can  throw  more  light  into  this?  
 What  is  the  best  light  temperature  to  use  in  a  reef  aquarium?  12k  is  what  I  had  in  mind.....  I  got  four  T5  slots.  Planning  to  use  2.  Probably  a  mix  of  blue  and  white.....  Just  did  some  search  on  JBL  lights  and  they  look  like  full  spectrum  lights.  Sounds  great  but  4  times  the  cost  and  6  years  guarentee  seems  "too  good  to  be  true".
 Picture  of  my  tank  after  the  sand  and  water  were  added.  The  sump  also  began  functioning  succesfully  the  moment  I  connected  it.  The  durso  was  perfect.  No  sound  at  all.....  

Last edited by cichlid_lover on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:36 pm Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

Great
cichlid_lover
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:40 pm Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

Is  this  cloudiness  normal  for  marine  tanks?  Will  it  subside  in  a  few  days?  To  me,  the  transition  from  a  bright  red/green  and  clear  planted  tank  to  this  pale  ghosty  appearance  seems  less  appealing....  I  think  upgrading  to  the  12K  lights  will  make  a  slight  difference.  These  are  the  6.5K  I  used  for  my  planted  tank....
 The  sand  I  brought  was  really  impressive.  I  just  brought  a  kg  of  live  sand  to  seed  the  sand  I  had  brought.  Though  it  was  good  white  sand  when  I  saw  it  in  the  LFS,  the  moment  I  put  them  in  the  tank  it  was  like  greyish  compared  to  the  white  sand  I  had....  Good  I  didn't  buy  them  for  the  entire  tank...
 I  think  the  black  background  is  not  the  best  for  a  marine  tank.  Might  be  light  blue  would  make  things  a  bit  more  brighter...
 Another  quick  question,  do  we  dose  reef  trace  elements  regularly?  LFS  advised  me  to  buy  them  .  But  thought  of  investigating  whether  it  was  really  required  or  not......
 And  Jaival,  I  think  I  might  buy  the  refractometer  soon.  I  mixed  the  crystal  sea  mix  which  read  "4kg  makes  120litres".  That  would  be  ~10kg  salt  for  the  280L  tank  I  have.  Considering  the  40kg  L@R  and  40kg  of  sand,  my  tank  volume  would  further  reduce  to  ~200L.  Now,  even  after  mixing  the  12  kg,  my  hydrometer  reads  1.021.....  Something's  wrong  somewhere.....  I  have  a  reason  to  believe  that  they  could  go  to  the  upper  side  due  to  the  mircro  bubbles  lifting  the  plastic.  But  reading  a  lower  value  seems  a  bit  odd....  Need  to  do  some  investigation.....

Last edited by cichlid_lover on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:09 pm Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

cloudiness  not  common  that  will  come  due  bacterial  bloom  or  improper  salt  mix  but  no  need  to  worry  both  will  live  short  and  one  fine  morning  u  will  see  crystal  clear  water
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:30 pm Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

When  did  you  add  the  sand?  The  cloudiness  typically  takes  a  couple  days  to  clear  up.  Clears  faster  with  better  flow.

Lighting  depends  on  what  you  intend  to  keep.  Recommend  to  go  for  a  bluish  look.  10k  and  above.  Again,  lighting  heavily  depends  on  the  tanks  inhabitants.

Reef  trace  is  LFS  sales  talk.  Not  required.  Timely  water  changes  are  enough.  BTW,  what  inhabitants  are  consuming  the  Trace  elements?  Before  replacing,  you  need  to  consume  first.
cichlid_lover
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:24 pm Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

Just  added  yersterday.....  The  water  was  clear  even  after  adding  the  sand.  The  moment  I  added  the  salt,  the  water  became  like  this.  I  guessed  the  trace  was  for  the  LFS  to  make  money.....
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:23 pm Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

Trace  is  there  to  make  money.  As  the  friends  suggested  frequent  waterchange  is  best  to  do.  
 For  the  water  cloudness  its  because  salt  is  not  mixed  properly,  may  be  a  day  to  two  it  ll  clear  up,  try  adding  a  wavemaker  to  mix  the  water  and  salt  properly.  
 The  SG  might  be  because  if  hydrometer.  Ask  someone  if  they  have  a  reefractometer  on  urgent  basis  to  help.  Then  you  can  buy  your  own.  For  me  i  did  checked  my  gravity  with  four  different  hydros  on  same  time  and  all  showed  different  gravities  and  with  2  reefractometer  both  were  same.  
 Light  depends  on  what  you  want  to  keep,  not  sure  or  read  any  reviews  about  JbL  lights.  Nor  have  seen  any  hobbist  using  one.  Dont  make  an  impulsive  buy  always  read  and  reaserch  then  buy.  
 For  the  BG  my  personal  choice  is  black  but  blue  creates  more  depth.  
 Dont  make  hurry  to  buy  fishes.  I  did  am  not  regrating  but  if  i  would  have  waited  that  ll  be  better.  
 Keep  update  all  the  best
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:29 pm Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

Ok,  just  to  clarify...  you  mixed  the  salt  in  a  bucket  separately  or  did  you  pour  salt  into  your  tank  directly?
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:33 am Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

nice.....  i  liked  your  sand.....  what  sand  is  it?  any  closer  pic  of  the  sand?
cichlid_lover
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:43 am Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

I  mixed  in  a  bucket  of  water  and  then  poured  it  in  the  tank......

One  of  the  earlier  pages  has  a  closeup  of  the  sand.......  It  was  worth  the  money  I  paid.  LFS  said  philipino  white  sand.......  Was  double  the  cost  of  live  sand  from  other  stores....
Mits
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:51 am Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

From  which  lfs  you  get  your  stuff,  aqua  star?
cichlid_lover
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:23 pm Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

Mostly  from  aquastar.  But  also  from  king  aquatic....
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:12 pm Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

kool.  saw  the  sand  pic,  can  u  pm  me  the  rates  and  your  lfs  details  from  where  u  picked  up  the  sand?
cichlid_lover
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:54 pm Post subject: Re: Good bye planted, welcome marine Reply with quote

Went  for  a  friends  marriage  in  south  TN.  Met  a  couple  of  fishermen  on  the  beach.  They  said  they  sold  corals  to  middlemen(probably  aquarium  shop  owners)  for  80/sack.......Sad  .  These  middle  men  making  money  like  hell.....
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Live Rock and Invertebrates All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: