55. Guest
56. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,825

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navneethtk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:24 pm Post subject: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

hey  guys  i  want  to  keep  a  planted  tank!  but  i  can't  keep  a  big  sized  one,  so  i  want  to  keep  a  small  one  (nano  cube)  i  have  no  knowledge  on  how  to  prepare  it  or  the  things  i  need  to  build  it.  i  have  few  things  already,  i'm  probably  missing  few  things,  can  you  guys  help  me?

things  i  already  have:
 1.  5kgs  controsoil
 2.  top  filter
 3.  moss
 4.  water   Razz  
 5.  lighting
 6.  nano  cube  tank

things  i  need  to  get:
 1.  plants  (i'm  not  sure  which  to  get)
 2.  black  rocks  (small)
 3.  a  small  piece  of  wood  (with  algae  or  moss  growing  on  it?)

i  probably  need  to  get  few  things,  but  like  i  said  i  don't  know.  please  tell  me  what  else  to  get.

i  want  a  non-Co2  tank.  so  simple  plants  which  don't  grow  tall  n  long  but  do  grow  bushy  and  spread.  Also  i'm  on  a  budget,  so  i  can't  spend  much  cash  on  this.  the  tank  is  going  to  be  undisturbed  for  only  4  months,  after  that  i  will  be  shifting  my  house.

can  someone  give  me  a  step-to-step  procedure  on  how  to  prepare  this  tank?

creatures:
 1.  red  cherry  shrimps
 2.  crystal  red  shrimps
 3.  snails  (assassins)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
parthapratim22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:43 pm Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

What  amount  of  lighting  your  are  using,  fix  that.
 You  dont  have  co2,  fix  it.
 Try  to  search  in  internet  what  plant  you  can  grow  in  that  light
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:36 pm Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

to  be  frank  you  have  not  told  us  anything  about  the  tank.

1.  exact  tank  size
 2.  lights  planned
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:22 pm Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

Light:  led  flood  10w  is  enough  or  go  for  3w  or  6w  led  bulbs
 filter:  internal  or  nano  canister
 plants:  dwarf  hairgrass
 mosses:  phoenix  or  willow  as  they  are  slow  grower,  others  will  grow  too  quickly
navneethtk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:51 pm Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

The  tank  is  18x12x9
 The  light  is  a  10watt.  
 Internal  filter.  Do  I  have  to  have  co2?  Sad
 Can't  I  have  a  heavily  planted  tank  with  no  co2?  I  mean  only  shrimps  will  be  in  it.  I  saw  few  tanks  which  didn't  require  co2.  So  how  do  I  set  that  up?  And  ya  I  have  two  moss  variety  Smile  what  other  plants  where  can  I  get  dwarf  hair  grass  and  how  do  I  plant  it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
parthapratim22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:05 am Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

Now  finalize  whether  you  can  do  continue  with  DIY  CO2  or  no  CO2.  You  will  get  loads  of  information  on  DIY  CO2  here.

Then  decide  the  plants.
tachyon
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:25 pm Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

you  can  try  these  links  for  plants  and  their  requirements:

http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/plant-list-a-z.aspx

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlants.php

I  was  in  same  situation  when  I  was  converting  my  18x9x12  gallon  tank  to  a  planted  ones.  Initially  I  thought  I  will  not  have  any  CO2...but  finally  gave  up  and  got  seachem  flourish  excel  till  the  time  I  can  start  a  DIY  CO2  on  my  new  bigger  2.5  ft  tank  (which  I  plan  to  make  once  I  shift  to  my  new  apartment  Very Happy).  

I  finalized  on  the  below:

Hemianthus  Micranthemoides  
 Ludwigia  Repens  
 Java  moss  (found  just  a  small  strand  of  it  among  my  plants...and  thankfully  it  is  all  set  in  my  tank  and  have  started  to  grow  Very Happy)
 Limnophila  aromatica  Purple
 Hygrophila  Polysperma
 Hydrocotyle  Tripartita  or  Hydrocotyle  leucocephala  (unable  to  tell  diff...  Sad)
 Didiplis  Diandra
 vallisneria

With  excel  they  all  have  got  nicely  set  and  the  new  leaves  have  started  to  grow..   :thumbup:

Happy  planting  Smile
navneethtk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:24 pm Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

I  want  0  co2.  A  full  non  co2  tank!  I'm  sure  there're  some  plants  which  can  happily  live  n  grow  without  co2.  And  I  need  to  able  to  get  them  under  my  plant  budget  as  it  only  gonna  be  in  my  house  for  fours  months.  Some  bushy  shrub  perhaps?  Need  plants  which  spread  sideways  and  not  grow  upwards.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:22 pm Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

If  it  is  for  only  4  months,  I  would  advice  you  to  wait.
 Planted  tanks  take  time  to  settle  down  and  only  then  do  they  start  to  grow.
 In  my  experience  the  growth  rate  without  co2  addition  is  very  slow  and  you  need  to  have  lots  of  patience.
navneethtk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:30 pm Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

Oh  :/  damn.  Well  guess  I'll  just  set  up  a  basic  planted  shrimp  tank.  Any  suggestions  for  that?
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:26 pm Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

Your  tank  is  quite  long.  How  about  using  the  contro  for  the  back,  giving  slope  and  a  sandy  beach  in  front.  Put  a  few  small  rocks  around  the  back  and  you  can  have  a  carpet  of  moss,  riccia  or  marselia  hirsuta
navneethtk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:11 pm Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

Mortis  wrote  (View  Post):                
Your  tank  is  quite  long.  How  about  using  the  contro  for  the  back,  giving  slope  and  a  sandy  beach  in  front.  Put  a  few  small  rocks  around  the  back  and  you  can  have  a  carpet  of  moss,  riccia  or  marselia  hirsuta                

That's  the  exact  picture  I  had  in  my  mind.  Any  idea  where  I  can  riccia  and  marseli  hirsuta?  I  can't  spend.  Is  there  anyone  givin  it  away?  I'll  return  the  plants  in  four  months.
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

So  when  ARE  we  gonna  see  this  tank??  pics  already!  Knock
navneethtk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:38 pm Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

Oh  I'd  like  to  see  it  myself.  :p
 I  still  have  to  get  some  plants  then  I  can  set  it  up  Smile
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:12 pm Post subject: Re: 1st attempt: how do i set up a nano planted tank? (HELP) Reply with quote

If  you  can  come  to  Bannerughatta..  you  can  collect  enough  plants  for  your  set  up.  And  some  tips  too..
 Best  time  is  tomorrow  (Sunday)  or  Tuesday  on  the  X-mas  holiday..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: