177. Guest
178. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,729

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Algae problem and control - My experience.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Algae problem and control - My experience.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aqua_2k
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:27 am Post subject: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

Hi  all,

Just  wanted  to  share  my  experience  gained  on  algae  control  in  planted  tank.  

For  any  planted  tank  we  encounter  algae  at  certain  point.  I  had  once  turned  down  my  planted  tank  and  rescaped  from  scratch  due  to  algae  problem.  But  then  algae  turned  up  again  in  my  new  scape  as  well..this  time  with  high  severity,  my  tank  had  
 Blue  Green  Algae(BGA)
 Black  Beard  Algae(BBA)
 Hair  Algae(green/brown)
 Green  Spot  Algae  
 Diatomic  Algae.

This  time  I  did  an  extensive  search  on  this  topic  in  various  forums  and  articles.  Root  cause  happens  to  be  carbon  and  light  imbalance  for  most  of  the  algae  types.  Wherein  I  had  1  BPS  of  pressurized  CO2  and  12hrs  of  light  4WPG  and  daily  dose  of  40ml  seachem  excel  on  Monday  and  8ml  consecutive  days  and  25%  water  change  on  Sunday  apart  from  other  nutrient  supply.

I  thought  to  start  with  increasing  the  CO2  and  decreasing  the  light  photoperiod.   I  increased  the  CO2  to  2BPS  and  lights  to  8hrs  a  day  and  seachem  flourish  excel  daily  dosage  of  40ML.  This  lead  to  fish  suffocation  and  eventually  few  of  my  cardinals  and  rummy  nose  died   Sad   and  I  depleted  my  500ml  excel  bottle  in  a  week.  With  no  good  improvement  and  algae  problem  grew  so  severe,  it  covered  by  willow  moss,  Christmas  moss,  HC  cuba,  Glossostigma,  Java  ferns,  driftwoods.  Tank  start  to  appear  in  real  bad  shape.  With  algae  over  growing  most  parts  of  my  tank.

All  these  algae  had  different  root  causes  and  different  ways  of  treatments  and  I  did  not  want  to  raise  CO2  to  risk  my  fishes  life,  finally  I  resorted  to  blackout  method  which  I  felt  was  more  convincing  for  most  of  the  algae  I  had  in  my  aquarium.  Got  additional  Ottos  and  a  pair  of  bristle  nose  and  started  off  with  black  out  period  by  fully  covering  the  tank  with  thick  blanket  and  added  an  air-stone  to  oxygenate  the  water  and  turned-off  the  CO2  during  the  blackout  period,  with  no  feeding  during  the  period.  I  occasionally  checked  the  tank  to  monitor  fish  and  plant  health  by  lifting  the  blanket.  

And  on  4th  day  I  did  see  my  tank  was  fully  cleaned  up  with  no  sign  of  algae,  though  few  plants  died  off  in  the  process  it  turned  out  to  be  the  best  remedy  for  me   Very Happy  .  I  lost  few  patches  of  HC  cuba,  glosso  and  hemianthus  micranthemoides  most  of  other  plants  survived  with  NIL  impact.  Note:  I  do  have  very  sensitive  plants  like  tonina  belem  and  tonina  fluviatilis  which  remained  intact.  All  plants  looked  healthy  and  many  with  new  growths  in  4  days  of  black  out.  Fishes  were  feed  with  artemia  biomass  on  the  4th  day  of  their  fast  as  grand  treat   Cheering  

Lessons  learnt(in  a  hard  way   Sad  )
 1)  Do  not  overdose  Flourish  excel  or  suddenly  increase  CO2  to  stress  or  suffocate  your  pets.
 2)  If  you  have  cichlidae  like  discus/angle/RAM…move  them  to  a  separate  tank  before  black  out.  If  they  are  left  hungry  will  hunt  down  small  fishes.  I  caught  my  discus  munching  on  RCS  just  at  the  end  of  first  day  of  black  out   Sad  
 3)  Always  have  your  tank  stocked  with  algae  eating  fish  and  shrimps.  It  would  be  hard  to  get  them  when  you  have  algae  breakout.  I  was  not  able  to  get  SAE  and  Amano  shrimps  and  had  hardtime  to  find  ottos.
 4)  Always  go  for  Ottos  locally  bread  than  imported  ones.  Since  they  adapt  easily  to  your  water  and  tank  parameters.
 5)  Even  your  fish  can  eat  algae  when  left  without  food,  I  did  see  my  dwarf  neon  rainbows  feeding  on  hair  algae.  
 6)  Algae/algae  spores  can  easily  get  transmitted  from  new  plants  getting  introduced  to  the  tank,  Give  PP  bath  to  plants  before  adding  it  to  the  aquarium.

Regards,
 Senthil.
radjanair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:05 am Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

Hi,  Aquatk,  
 Good  experience.
 Vaazhthudan
 radjanair
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:01 am Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

Nicely  explained  man  Clapping   Clapping   Clapping
dotfish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:04 am Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

Thanx  for  posting  your  experience,  will  be  great  help  for  newbies  like  me
Thuds
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:20 pm Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

Thanks  for  sharing  your  experience  it  will  help  all.

We  all  have  encountered  this  problem  at  some  point  of  time.

My  experience  is  reduce  feeding  considerably  and  no  fertilization.

Thuds
Razeen
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:17 pm Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

An  extraordinary  article  for  algae  issue.
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:19 pm Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

Its  a  tough  job  to  fight  against  algae..  Nice  experience..
crazyomzi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:26 pm Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

am  facing  the  same  problem  right  now  and  this  will  surely  help  me.
 thanks  a  ton
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:42 pm Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

Thanks  for  sharing  your  experience  Senthil......
cyclopse99
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

Thanks  for  sharing.  I  also  tried  a  similar  approach  and  kept  blackout  for  4  days  but  it  didn't  really  cleaned  all  my  algae.  Though  i  must  say  it  reduced  a  bit.  Only  difference  was  i  didn't  added  the  airstone  for  o2..  hmmm  .

My  learning  from  my  mistake  is  you  can  also  try  using  active  carbon  in  filter  along  with  what  aqua_2k  has  suggested.  Using  active  carbon  will  further  reduce  any  nutrition  value  in  the  water  for  algae.
aqua_2k
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:50 pm Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

@  radjanair,  jabba,  dotfish,  Thuds,  Razeen,  crazyomzi,abhis9  ....  thanks,  it  was  pleasure  sharing  the  experience   Smile  

@  nandy...it  is  true  algae  problem  always  made  me  frustrated  to  a  gr8  extent   Sad     ...  having  put  in  lot  of  dedication  in  bring  up  the  scape..this  problem  at  certain  point  seems  to  ruin  the  interest....it  is  good  such  a  simple  solution  as  this  helps  to  control  the  issue.

@  cyclopse99....I  think  blackout  period  coupled  with  algae  eating  crew  will  be  the  optimal  solution...I  had  2  bristle  nose,  8  Ottos,  3  Amano  shrimps  and  40+  RCS  and  Fire  yellow  shrimps  to  act  as  algae  control  crew.  It  would  be  good  to  have  SAE  if  anyone  is  planning  to  experiment  this  Smile...

I  thinks  Algae's  main  source  is  the  light  and  nutrients(means  lower  levels  of  nutrients  that  plants  cannot  absorb  due  to  imbalance  in  carbon  and  light  source).  If  you  cut-off  light  algae  will  not  able  to  utilize  nutrients  and  eventually  die.  

Regards,
 Senthil
viv88
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:01 am Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

Thanks  for  sharing  your  experience  Thumb Up  .Did  this  method  clear  out  BBA?  Confused   Im  having  a  tough  time  here  with  BBA.  Wall Bang
aqua_2k
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:27 am Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

yeah  viv88...I  got  BBA  transferred  thru  bolbitis  introduced  to  my  tank   Sad  ,  i  tried  bleach  bath  to  bolbitis  for  BBA,  but  eventually  the  plants  died  off..It  got  spread  to  glosso  by  the  time   Sad  .  I  didn't  want  to  take  out  glosso  or  willow  moss,   even  brushing  didn't  help.  So  finally  tried  my  luck  with  blackout..even  BBA  was  gone  at  the  end  of  blackout  Very Happy
keluthi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:21 am Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

Simple  &  effective  piece  of  work!!  Thumbs Up
govindsj
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:22 pm Post subject: Re: Algae problem and control - My experience. Reply with quote

Hi  Senthil,
 An  experience  definitely  worth  sharing  and  blackout  method  seems  to  be  a  genuine  way  to  stall  algae.
   Regards
   govindsj
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: