203. Guest
204. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,752

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - 112 g marine tank...with some DIY
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

112 g marine tank...with some DIY

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenobel1
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:05 am Post subject: 112 g marine tank...with some DIY Reply with quote

Got  my  first  tank  on  my  fifth  birthday  and  now  17  years  down  the  line  i  am  planning  to  build  a  marine  setup  ....before  saying  any  thing  will  have  to  confess  that  it  would  have  been  a  life  saver  if  i  had  come  to  know  about  IAH  a  month  or  so  before  

Bak  in  kerala  it  was  really  fascinating   to  watch  my  bro  feed  the  lion  fish  ,  help  him  around  wit  the  stuff  and  jus  looking  at  the  tank  would  make  me  feel  mesmerised  he  promised  to  help  me  but  i  got  ditched  at  the  end,  doin  final  year  MBA  (thesis  semester)  a  lot  of  time  in  hand  and  some  money  from  from  my  internship  an  idea  of  buying  a  decent  size  tank  was  in  my  mind  for  a  long  time  since  i  already  have  a  3'x  1.5'x  1.5'  frshee   at  home  and  making  a  marine  setup  in  it  was  an  idea  whic  was  a  lil  difficult  since  some  of  the  fish's  have  been  with  me  for  yrz  ,but  a  friend  recommended  a  site  (garf.org)to  get  the  precise  measurements  of  a  DIY  tank
 got  the  measurements  which  goes  like  this

the  dimensions  that  had  put  in  were...BTW  the  glass  was  12mm  ASI

60"L  X  18"  W  X  24"  H     

and  this  was  the  output  for  the  size  of  the  glasses  that  garf  gave

Bottom  =  59  1/4  "  x  17  1/4"
 Front  =  60  "  x  24"
 Back  =  60  "  x  24"
 2  Sides  =  24  "  x  17  1/4"

and  now  i  come  to  know  that  front  bak  and  the  side's  sit  ontop  of  the  bottom
 can  an  tank  be  strong  enough  if  made  like  the  side  and  front  get  glued  to  the  bottom  glasse's  corner  (  i  mean  all  the  four  sides  get  glued  to  the  12  mm  thick  bottom  glass  corner)

Well  that  was  about  the  tank

Am  also  planning  to  buy  an  azoo  protein  skimmer   ...do  u  think  azoo  is  good  enough  ???

Am  dropping  the  idea  of  making  a  sump  but  instead  a  canister  filter  and  a  bio  wheel

Am  also  sourcing  about  30  kg's  of  live  rock  and  20  kg's  of  base  rock

2"  deep  bed  of  coral  sand  5  dead  coral  pieces  (any  recommendation's  on  adding  any  live  corals  if  any  can  any  one  tell  me  which  are  the  ones  legal?)

if  the  aquarium  problem  comes  out  with  some  soultion  and  the  cycling  process  goes  smoothly  i  would  love  to  keep  a  lion  fish  and  if  i  culd  what  are  the  other  fishes  which  go  with  it?

every  one  please  help
 regards

Last edited by thenobel1 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:01 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Nobel1  and  welcome  to  IAH.
 Please  note  that  the  use  of  sms  language  is  frowned  upon  in  these  forums.  Just  a  hint  for  your  next  post.

About  the  tank,  most  people  like  to  have  their  tank  done  so  it  rests  on  the  bottom  glass.  The  other  way  has  also  been  done  though.  If  you  want  more  security  ,  you  can  have  support  strips  added  to  give  the  tank  some  extra  strength.

First  think  of  the  type  of  skimmer  that  you  would  like  to  use  -  airstone,  downdraft,  venturi,  etc.  This  will  depend  on  your  tank  size,  bioload  and  your  budget.  The  is  an  article  on  skimmers  in  this  forum  by  "aquascapes".  Read  that.

There  are  many  reasons  to  keep  a  sump.  You'll  find  out  soon  enough.    Canister  filters  are  generally  not  used  in  SW  aquaria.

Go  for  cured  LR.  It  is  pretty  hard  to  cure  LR.

For  the  sand  bed,  try  get  Aragonite  or  fine  coral  sand.  It  has  pH  buffering  ability.
 Don't  buy  the  dead  corals.  They  are  illegal  plus  it  just    encourages  bad  practices.  There  is  a  list  of  corals  you  can  keep  in  the  "Poor  Man's  reef"  thread,  Kochu's  thread  in  this  forum  as  well  as  "Indian  Wildlife  Act"  thread  in  the  native  fish  forum.

What  fish  can  you  keep  with  a  lionfish?  Anything  which  won't  fit  in  its  mouth.  Smile
thenobel1
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:32 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Thank  you  Simhan  sir  for  your  valuable  inputs    Smile  

first  and  foremost  i  apologise  for  my  mistake

I  plan  to  use  a  venturi  skimmer  ,  an  EHEIM  wet  and  dry  canister  filter

the  dead  corals  are  out  of  my  list

and  in  a  while  maybe  i  can  proudly  say  i  keep  a  lion  as  a  pet  a  "fish  of  course"      Thumb Up
rajeev
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:25 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Lions  are  truly  fascinating  but  they  are  finicky  eaters.  You  need  to  feed  them  live  feed  or  switch  them  to  prawns  etc.
thenobel1
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:36 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

hi
 well  pradeep  making  a  sump  was  in  the  blueprint,  but  disaster  stuck  when  mom  came  to  know  that  there  is  gonna  be  a  chance  of  water  spliing  which  created  a  road  block  and  even  if  i  convence  her  there  is  a  very  very  slim  chance  of  an  overfolw  and  it  does  somehow,  the  the  tank  is  not  the  only  thing  that  is  going  out  of  the  house  Sad
 that  was  the  reason  for  me  to  change  to  wet/dry  can  filter
 if  any  one  has  some  suggestion  please  do  help  me  out
 regards
 Krishna
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:47 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Well  ,  everyone  here  will  suggest  a  sump.  I  am  myself  running  the  tank  sump  free  and  plan  to  get  a  sump  up  in  a  while.

Wet  -  dry/canister  filters  can  be  nitrate  traps  so  bit  of  a  risk  there.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:22 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
and  now  i  come  to  know  that  front  bak  and  the  side's  sit  ontop  of  the  bottom                  

who  tells  u?
 The  bottom  plate  should  be  between  the  front  and  the  back  glass  and  the  side  plates  should  be  upon  the  bottom  plate!
 let  me  give  you  a  less  confusing  measurement:  (for  12mm  glass)
 front  glass  =  60"  X  24"
 back  glass  =            "
 bottom  =  60"  X  17"
 sides  =  17"  X  23"
 support  strips  =  58½"  X  3"  (for  bottom  support)
                     "                  =  60"  X  3"  (for  top  support)
 that  is  about  it!

Quote:                
Am  also  planning  to  buy  an  azoo  protein  skimmer  ...do  u  think  azoo  is  good  enough  ???                  

azoo  has  a  internal  power  skimmer  which  works  efficiently!

Quote:                
Am  dropping  the  idea  of  making  a  sump  but  instead  a  canister  filter  and  a  bio  wheel                  

sump  is  easy  to  make!
 cheap  and  gives  you  better  results  as  the  added  water  content  will  be  responsible  for  a  more  stable  system  -  esp.  if  you  are  interested  in  large  fish  that  can  be  messy!  (like  the  one  you  mention  -  lion!)

Quote:                
Am  also  sourcing  about  30  kg's  of  live  rock  and  20  kg's  of  base  rock                

It  is  dependant  upon  the  aquascaping!
 if  you  intend  a  FOWLR  I  think  the  20kgs  will  be  a  bit  on  the  lesser  side  as  you  intend  to  keep  medium  to  large  sized  fish  (cause  you  want  to  use  LR  primarily  for  bio-filtration)
 try  selecting  medium  sized  LR  of  about  8"  -  12"  each  (not  bigger  than  this)

Quote:                
 2"  deep  bed  of  coral  sand  5  dead  coral  pieces  (any  recommendation's  on  adding  any  live  corals  if  any  can  any  one  tell  me  which  are  the  ones  legal?)                  

If  you  already  have  not  acquired  the  dead  corals  -  I  would  advise  you  to  refrain  from  supporting  such  irresponsible  coral  trade.
 Well,  the  live  corals  can  wait  till  you  take  your  primary  lessons  with  marine  fish  keeping!
 Go  slow  -  speed  kills!

Quote:                
if  the  aquarium  problem  comes  out  with  some  soultion  and  the  cycling  process  goes  smoothly  i  would  love  to  keep  a  lion  fish  and  if  i  culd  what  are  the  other  fishes  which  go  with  it?                  

Fish  that  do  not  fit  the  lion's  mouth  can  be  kept  along  with  them!
 Lion-fish  (I  guess  you  mean  Pterois  volitans)  is  also  known  as  scorpion  fish/turkey  fish  etc.
 it  is  a  born  predator  and  the  one  mentioned  above  is  the  biggest  member  of  the  lion  fish  family  -  the  other  commonly  available  is  the  Russell's  lionfish  Pterous  russellii  which  remains  a  bit  smaller  and  lacks  the  supraorbital  tentacles  (tentacles  above  the  eyes)
 They  both  indeed  are  my  all  time  favourites!
 You  should  know  by  now  that  a  lion  fish  will  not  be  a  very  active  fish  and  is  found  solitory  in  the  wild  and  lurks  under  the  overhangs  of  the  reef  waiting  for  a  prey  to  pass-by  and  zoop!  (it  will  act  as  if  nothing  ever  happened!)
 After  some  time  of  captive  life  -  it  gets  intrestingly  attached  to  the  keeper  and  can  even  react  to  the  owner's  approach  (as  it  associates  this  with  food)
 A  word  of  caution  -  come  what  may  -  keep  your  hands  off  it's  dorsal  spines  -  they  are  known  to  contain  neuro-toxin  and  are  dangerous!
 generally  it  is  a  shy  fish  but  if  it  feels  threatened  it  can  raise  it's  dorsal  spines  and  strike  like  a  scorpion  (thus  the  common  name)  
 You  could  however  add  most  of  the  medium  sized  fish  along  with  the  lion  -  my  favourite  combination  is  a  Chromileptis  altivelis  commonly  known  as  a  panther  grouper  or  a  polka  dot  grouper  -  this  is  another  hardy  fish  but  a  large  one!  -  can  grow  to  about  2'  in  size!
 Another  all  time  favourite  is  a  Lutjanus  sebae  commonly  known  as  emperor  snapper  this  fish  is  also  very  hardy  but,  will  out  grow  the  tank  very  soon  as  it  can  grow  upto  3'  in  size!
 some  other  suggestions:
 Pomacanthus  annularis  =  blue  ring  angel
 Pomacanthus  semicirculatus  =  koran  angel
 (angels  are  aggressive  towards  other  angels  -  bear  that  in  mind)
 Thalassoma  lunare  =  lunar  or  moon  wrasse
 Most  tangs  and  I  can  go  on.....................
 sorry  for  the  long  post  -  HTH!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thenobel1
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:25 am Post subject: Re: fishey........fishey......help needed plz Reply with quote

Hello,
      Kudos  to  mods  and  admins  again  for  doing  such  a  wonderful  job  in  bringing  back  IAH  newer  and  better,  well  let  me  get  back  to  the  fish  talk  now.
   had  made  my  112  g  tank  a  few  months  back,  started  cycling  everything  was  going  good  when  disaster  struck  and  the  baby  broke,  CRACKED  right  from  the  middle  the  reason  was  soon  found,  failure  of  the  center  supports.
   Am  back  on  track  now  with  a  new  front  glass,  made  sure  that  the  edges  were  cleaned  well  with  thinner  before  applying  any  silicone  plan  to  all  a  lil  bit  of  super  glue  just  to  be  sure
   apart  from  the  monetary  loss  the  glass,  10+  Kg's  of  salt  and  a  ruined  rug....the  psychological  factor  was  the  biggest  demotivater  since  the  tank  was  DIY  and  another  messup  would  not  only  end  my  hobby  but  put's  me  in  a  high  risk  of  getting  kicked  out   Chuckle  .
 during  the  past  month  was  going  through  loads  of  DIY  plans  to  make  a  skimmer  have  short  listed  two  types  which  are  effective  and  cheap  to  make

1.  Columnar  Skimmer

2.  Venturi  Skimmer

the  following  crude  diagrams  maybe  can  throw  a  tiny  spark  of  light
 (pardon  me  for  my  bad  artistic  skills)
thenobel1
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:47 am Post subject: Re: fishey........fishey......help needed plz Reply with quote

Columnar  Skimmer

Venturi  Skimmer

The  pictures  are  not  that  clear  but  let  me  start  by  explaining  the  parts  starting  from  the  right  hand  top  corner  clockwise

for  the  coiumnar  skimmer

1.collection  cup
 2.drain  from  the  collection  cup  to  the  bottle
 3.V  joint  from  the  powerhead  
 4.four  inch  PVC  pipe
 5.wooden  air  diffuser
 6.two  inch  wide  three  inch  tall  PVC  for  holding  diffusers
 7.conection  to  sump
 8.T  joint
 9Air  from  pump

for  the  venturi  skimmer

1.  collection  cup
 2.water  from  power  head  into  the  reaction  chamber
 3.PVC  tubing
 4.water  out  to  sump
 5.external  reaction  chamber  28"  tall  4"  wide
 6.  internal  reaction  chamber  2"  wide

have  drawn  the  images  according  to  my  interpretations  ,  though  there  are  some  doubts  in  my  mind  like  do  i  need  a  venturi  valve  for  if  the  powerhead  already  has  one  what  should  be  the  capacity  of  the  air  pump...etc
thenobel1
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:44 pm Post subject: Re: 112 g marine tank...with some DIY Reply with quote

ola!  
   Had  taken  a  sabbatical  from  IAH  to  complete  my  never  ending  thesis,  now  since  everything  is  in  order  am  back  to  the  hobby,  with  even  more  enthusiasm,  have  a  new  tank  (have  discarded  the  old  one),  same  dimensions  5'L  x  1.5'w  x  2'h,  tried  a  desperado  way  to  make  an  ultra  poor  man's  reef  but  failed  miserably,  ended  up  loosing  a  lot  of  time  and  money,  will  try  to  put  up  some  pic's  of  the  new  setup,  the  substrate  and  water  is  in  place,  atman  HOB  filter  with  carbon  and  bio  media  and  1200ltr/hr  pwr  head  running  24x7  for  the  past  20  days,  one  14000  kelvin  150  watt  MH,  one  10000  k  70  watt  MH,  two  atman  20000k  actnic/  coral  blue  tubes  and  two  tricolour  tubes,  the  next  item  in  my  agenda  is  a  skimmer,  cant  find  a  wiepro-15  skimmer  in  delhi,  have  come  across  only  two  LFS  stocking  marine  assets  here  Mr  Jitender  of  fish  point  and  Mr  Gaurav  of  tropiquarium  both  of  them  endorse  brands  like  atman  and  azoo  for  the  latter,  the  atman  skimmer  is  for  600  ltr  tank  (mine  is  around  410),  since  i  want  to  keep  a  FOWLR  would  the  excess  skimming  do  any  harm?  
 should  i  go  for  a  canister  filter  since  i  dont  have  a  sump
 is  the  lighting  enough  for  inverts  and  LR  if  i  want  to  introduce  some  in  the  future?  
 how  much  of  LR  would  be  needed  in  a  112  gl  setup?

cheers!  
 Krishna
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: