59. Guest
60. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Need Help with Planted setup
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Need Help with Planted setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakehead
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:27 am Post subject: Need Help with Planted setup Reply with quote

Hi  Guys  ,

need  help  with  my  new  planted  tank,

reacently  had  added  two  new  plants  (otala  wallichii  &  Ludwigia  glandulosa  )which  was  fine  for  a  fortnight  &  showed  signs  of  growth  &  was  budding,
 however  after  some  times  shed  all  its  leaves  ,&  now  even  the  buds  that  grew  is  rotting  off,

needs  advice  to  avoid  it.

My  Tank  Details  are  as  below

Dimensons  :  30x18x18
 Base:  Contrasoil

Plants  :Cobamba,Amazon  Sword,Rotala  wallichii,Ludwigia  glandulosa,Sagittaria  platyphylla,etc  (atleast  i  guess  thats  what  they  are...  Wink  from  the  online  plant  chart.

Fishes  :  
 1  pair  Serpae  Tetra
 1  pair  Zebra  danio
 3  pair  Neon  Tetra
 2  Otto's
 1  Neon  Rainbow  (other  one  jumped  out)

Co2  -  DIY  Setup

water  change  -20-25  %  in  2  weeks.

Liquid  Fertilizer  -5  ml  every  water  change.
 Normal  air  pump

Adding  pic's  of  my  tank..

PS  :  would  appreciate  if  somebody  can  identify  the  plants  &  let  me  know  the  real  names.

Thanks  in  Advance.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102141891435476781548/MyTank?authkey=Gv1sRgCN_SmrXGgfPmUg#5882038444040624290

https://picasaweb.google.com/102141891435476781548/MyTank?authkey=Gv1sRgCN_SmrXGgfPmUg#5882033308785120770

https://picasaweb.google.com/102141891435476781548/MyTank?authkey=Gv1sRgCN_SmrXGgfPmUg#5882033306883440466

https://picasaweb.google.com/102141891435476781548/MyTank?authkey=Gv1sRgCN_SmrXGgfPmUg#
DRDHEEP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:58 am Post subject: Re: Need Help with Planted setup Reply with quote

Hi,
 You  have  not  mentioned  your  light  setup.
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:41 pm Post subject: Re: Need Help with Planted setup Reply with quote

The  2  plants  you  said  need  high  light,  atleast  above  2.5  watts  per  gallon  on  the  area  this  plant  is  present
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:30 pm Post subject: Re: Need Help with Planted setup Reply with quote

Which  fertilizers  are  you  using?  Branded  or  DIY?  And  do  you  dose  micros  too?
Snakehead
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:35 am Post subject: Re: Need Help with Planted setup Reply with quote

Liquid  fertilizer  name  shows  'Plant  Food"  given  by  the  LFS  &  lightning  is  the  normal  CFL  of  20w

sorry  for  the  late  response.....
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:56 am Post subject: Re: Need Help with Planted setup Reply with quote

Its  a  clear  case  of  nutrient  deficiency.  You're  adding  only  5ml  per  2  weeks.  what  is  happening  is  called  limiting  nutrition.  When  you  dose  infrequently  the  nutrients  are  not  taken  up  properly  and  there  is  haphazard  nutrient  availability  which  causes  deficiency.  the  problem  with  the  newly  introduced  plants  is  that  they  are  not  established  in  your  tank  and  therefore  not  ale  to  compete  for  the  limited  nutrients  that  are  available.  your  older,  well  established  plants  are  uptaking  most  of  the  nutrition.  Also  note  that  you  have  some  heavy  feeders  like  swords,  sags,  etc.

Suggesting  a  dosing  routine  without  knowing  what  is  present  in  your  fertilizer  is  not  possible.  Either  try  to  get  to  know  what  is  the  composition  of  the  fertilizer  you  are  using  or  change  to  a  different  fertilizer  (one  which  you  can  control).  Even  well  known  branded  ferts  will  not  tell  you  what  the  composition  is,  but  atleast  they  will  give  you  proper  dosing  instructions  that  have  been  tested  scientifically.  I  would  not  trust  locally  made  ferts,  because  we  do  not  know  what  kind  of  research  or  study  has  been  done  to  come  up  with  a  formula,  and  what  the  basis  of  their  instructions  are.
Snakehead
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:45 pm Post subject: Re: Need Help with Planted setup Reply with quote

so  whats  would  your  advice  be...?

Increase  the  frequency  or  make  the  dose  to  10  ml  ?
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:47 pm Post subject: Re: Need Help with Planted setup Reply with quote

Lots  of  problems

1]  Single  20W  CFL  not  close  to  enough  for  a  tank  your  size  

2]  DIY  CO2  ,  unless  you  are  using  3  2ltr  bottles  in  series  and  have  a  good  diffusion  method  is  not  enough  for  the  tank  size.

3]  Too  little  liquid  fertilizer
nicky6000
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:02 pm Post subject: Re: Need Help with Planted setup Reply with quote

+  1  Athreyan  Clapping
GokulK
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:42 am Post subject: Re: Need Help with Planted setup Reply with quote

+1  Athreyan   Clapping
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:40 am Post subject: Re: Need Help with Planted setup Reply with quote

Snakehead  wrote  (View  Post):                
so  whats  would  your  advice  be...?

Increase  the  frequency  or  make  the  dose  to  10  ml  ?                

As  I  said  earlier,  it  would  not  be  of  any  help  if  we  don't  know  about  the  composition  of  the  fert.  Suggesting  dosage  would  turn  out  to  be  detrimental.  We  don't  even  know  whether  it  s  macro  or  micro  or  a  mix  of  both.  My  advice  would  be  to  first  change  your  fertilizer.  Either  read  up  &  make  your  own  ferts  or  buy  ferts  from  a  reputed  brand  like  JBL,  API  or  if  you  can  spare  the  cash...  ADA.  DIY  macro  ferts  are  the  cheapest  option  and  you  have  absolute  control  over  what  you  put  into  the  water.  For  micro,  however,  it  would  not  be  very  feasible  to  DIY,  so  it  would  be  prudent  to  go  in  for  a  good  product  from  JBL,  API  or  any  such.  Personally  I  have  used  JBL  ferropol,  and  it  has  given  decent  results.

Having  said  all  this,  I  concur  with  Mortis.  You  have  to  bump  up  the  light.  Yours  is  a  42  G  tank  with  18in  depth.  You  will  need  atleast  70  or  80  W  of  T5  lighting.  if  you  intend  to  use  CFL,  then  it  would  have  to  be  even  higher.  I  suggest,  you  go  for  T5HO  tubes  of  6500K  rating.

For  a  plan,  I  suggest  you  do  these  things:

first,  change  your  lighting  to  about  70  or  80  W  of  T5HO.  Don't  go  beyond  that,  because  you  don't  have  pressurized  CO2.

Second,  change  your  fertilizer.  Choose  whether  you  want  to  make  your  own  or  buy  off  the  shelf.  To  start  off,  buy  readymade,  and  then  do  your  homework  and  from  the  next  time  make  your  own  (that  is  if  you  want  to  make).  I  think  API  leaf  zone  is  a  good  product  for  macro  (but  I  don't  know  because  I  always  make  my  own  macros.).  If  you  use  tap  water  (ground  or  municipal)  for  the  tank,  then  you  won't  have  to  worry  about  micros  too  much,  except  for  iron.  But  that  is  for  later;  sort  your  basic  problems  first.

Third  is  about  CO2.  I  have  tried  DIY  CO2  and  have  not  been  very  happy  about  it.  Not  that  the  system  does  not  work,  but  it  is  inconsistent.  and  this  inconsistency  causes  a  lot  of  problems  (atleast  did  for  me!)  like  algae,  nutrition  deficiency  etc.  So  right  now  I'm  going  non-CO2.  It  works  just  fine  for  me.  growth  is  slow,  but  I'm  the  patient  types.  I'm  planning  on  getting  a  CO2  setup  in  the  near  future.  So  what  I'm  trying  to  say  is  that  either  go  non-CO2  or  go  for  a  proper  pressurized  CO2  setup.  inconsistent  CO2  is  cause  of  a  good  many  problems  in  a  planted  tank.

Lastly,  change  water  every  week...  atleast  30%,  but  50%  is  preferable.  This  helps  in  taking  out  nitrates  and  also  adds  some  nutrition  for  the  plants  to  use.

Do  let  us  know  what  you  plan  to  do.  We  will  be  able  to  give  you  specific  help  depending  on  your  plan,  especially  light  &  CO2.  Your  fertilization  routine  is  dependent  on  your  lights  &  CO2.
Snakehead
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:25 pm Post subject: Re: Need Help with Planted setup Reply with quote

Thanks  Athreyan  for  all  the  info  provided.

You  have  helped  me  understand  what  my  tank  needs  .,

as  per  your  advice  will  change  the  water  every  week,  &  get  the  fert  asap.

regards  to  lightning  .am  still  tryin  to  find  where  would  i  get  T5HO  in  Bangalore,  as  am  still  a  novice  to  this

can  anyone  from  Bangalore  help  me  in  getting  the  Macro  Fert  &  T5ho  Tubes,  also  the  price  for  it  ,(Please  PM  me  if  its  against  Forum  rules  )  just  that   don;t  want  to  spend  too  much  on  this  setup  as  i  have  plan  to  get  a  Bigger  Tank  shortly.

btw  ..thanks  in  advance  for  the  advices  given...  Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: