189. Guest
190. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,815

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 am Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

coco  peat  need  not  be  a  thick  layer.  Just  a  scant  layer  should  suffice.  coco  peat  is  not  entirely  necessary.  I  would  place  more  emphasis  on  red  soil  &  laterite.

also  make  sure  your  river  sand  layer  is  nice  &  thick.  If  you  use  a  thin  layer,  then  the  inner  layer  tend  to  surface  during  replanting  or  gravel  vacuuming  etc.  in  the  long  run,  you  must  poke  through  the  substrate  every  now  &  then.  This  is  to  avoid  any  anaerobic  spots  in  the  substrate.

Non-CO2  setups  can  be  very  successful.  But  if  you  choose  to  go  for  DIY  CO2,  then  be  very  watchful  of  the  CO2  supply.  I  would  suggest  that  you  have  2  different  reactors.  Probably  at  opposite  ends  of  the  tank.  Start  them  at  different  times,  about  one  week  apart.  typically  one  2ltr  bottle  should  last  about  2  weeks.  so  you  can  replace  one  setup  each  week  alternately.  This  should  make  the  CO2  supply  more  or  less  consistent.  In  any  case,  it  would  be  prudent  to  have  two  setups  so  that  there  is  proper  supply  of  CO2  throughout  the  tank.  remember  to  also  have  good  flow  throughout  the  tank.  Avoid  dead  spots.  dead  spots  in  water  flow  (and  thereby  nutrient  &  CO2  flow)  will  cause  algae.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:45 am Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

Athreyan  wrote  (View  Post):                

This  should  make  the  CO2  supply  more  or  less  consistent.  In  any  case,  it  would  be  prudent  to  have  two  setups  so  that  there  is  proper  supply  of  CO2  throughout  the  tank.  remember  to  also  have  good  flow  throughout  the  tank.  Avoid  dead  spots.  dead  spots  in  water  flow  (and  thereby  nutrient  &  CO2  flow)  will  cause  algae.                

+1,  dead  spots  will  occur  as  per  plantations  growth  also
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:03 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

@Garothmaan:  post  pics  already!   Poke  Im  not  using  the  banana  peel  method  but  gang-away  for  the  el  naturale!
 @Athreyan:  Thanks  for  the  headsup.  I  have  been  using  a  2  x  2.25  pepsi  bottle  setup  for  my  2  footer.  And  it  lasts  a  good  month.  So  can  I  do  the  same  here?
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:08 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

girlcookart  wrote  (View  Post):                
@Garothmaan:  post  pics  already!   Poke  Im  not  using  the  banana  peel  method  but  gang-away  for  the  el  naturale!

wait  I'll  put  a  video  for  this.

Then  what  do  you  think  is  compositely  added  into  vermicompost?  

Most  of  the  natural  fertilisers  are  from  these  only....

CO2  1  Month?  I  would  want  to  know  how  please  show  me.  (  I  always  fail  thos  co2)  Sad
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:58 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

+1  Madan.  Patience  is  the  key  of  success  which  I  learned  from  my  own  experience.

Good  thread  Girlcookart.
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:12 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                

girlcookart  wrote  (View  Post):                

wait  I'll  put  a  video  for  this.

Then  what  do  you  think  is  compositely  added  into  vermicompost?  

Most  of  the  natural  fertilizers  are  from  these  only....

CO2  1  Month?  I  would  want  to  know  how  please  show  me.  (  I  always  fail  thos  co2)  Sad                

Its  no  mystery...What  I  do  is  this  to  make  my  Co2(I  dont  mean  breathing):

Requirements:  

*  2  x  2.25(Jumbo)  Pepsi  bottles  -  cleaned  and  rinsed  with  water.
 *  Normal  tap  water
 *  Large  vessel  
 *  Thermometer  (I  have  a  digital  food  thermometer)
 *  Baker's  Yeast  (I  use  Angel  brand)
 *  Baking  Soda  -  1  tsn
 *  Sugar  -  1  kg

Method:
 Prior  to  anything,  Set  up  the  caps  of  the  bottles  as  shown  in  the  photo  below:

Make  sure  the  bottles  are  covered  or  painted  opaque  and  dark  as  yeast  hates  light.  I  have  covered  mine  with  garbage  bags  and  sticky  taped  them.

Bring  to  a  slight  boil  -  an  average  of  5  litres  tap  water  (some  people  prefer  conditioned  water  but  I  dont  see  the  reason  why).  Then  remove  a  small  cup  worth  of  water  aside  from  the  whole  lot  and  check  the  temperature  -  when  it  drops  to  104  deg  F,  add  a  tsn  of  yeast.  Gently  mix  the  lot.  Dissolve  any  clumps  formed.  And  let  it  rest  on  its  own  for  about  5-10  min  (till  you  see  a  slight  froth  formation:meaning  -  activated  yeast).  NOTE:  Keep  this  bowl  on  a  wooden  surface(so  it  doesn't  drop  in  temperature  too  quickly)

While  this  is  going  on,  add  500g  of  sugar  to  each  bottle  with  1/2  tsn  on  baking  soda  (per  bottle).  Make  sure  the  water  is  warm,not  boiling/scalding  hot  just  warm)  and  add  in  the  water  till  about  only  1/4th  of  the  top(a  little  less  is  also  is  fine).  cover  with  a  spare  cap  and  do  the  "cocktail-shake"  till  the  sugar  is  well  dissolved(check  at  the  bottom  of  the  bottle  for  residue,you'll  know).  Repeat  the  same  for  the  other  bottle.  

Once  the  yeast  is  activated,add  half  the  solution  in  one  bottle  and  the  rest  in  the  other  bottle.  Cover  with  actual  caps.Slightly  shake  and  let  it  make  some  CO2.  The  time  it  takes  to  make  CO2  depends  how  well  the  yeast  is  activated,  the  temperature  of  the  waters  used,  the  room  temperature  and  of  course,  the  power  of  the  yeast  itself.  But  it  works.  Sometimes,  it  takes  1  hour,sometimes  a  whole  day...I  shake  it  once  in  a  while  and  to  break  the  pressure  in  the  diffuser  (ceramic),I  shake  the  bottle  and  press  the  bottle  sometimes.  But  it  works  everytime.

Accurately  put,  it  lasts  about  25-27  days.

P.S:  Save  the  yeast  powder  in  an  airtight  container/box   in  the  fridge(not  freezer)...last  a  very  long  time.
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:15 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

abhis9  wrote  (View  Post):                
+1  Madan.  Patience  is  the  key  of  success  which  I  learned  from  my  own  experience.

Good  thread  Girlcookart.                
 Thankyou,Abhis9   Very Happy
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:26 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

Well,  I  guess  the  temperatures  play  a  role  in  the  life  of  the  mixture.  Here  in  Chennai,  it  used  to  last  me  about  10  to  12  days.  But  even  if  it  lasts  that  long,  keep  an  eye  out  for  rate  of  release  of  CO2.  But  if  you  have  2  setups,  you  can  negate  that  worry  by  replacing  every  fifteen  days,  alternately.

Alternately  or  not,  IMO  you  will  definitely  need  2  setups  at  opposite  ends  to  have  good  CO2  levels.

Typically,  the  DIY  yeast  reactor  is  workable  only  for  tanks  of  40  gallons  or  less.  This  is  in  terms  of  amount  of  CO2  needed,  economic  viability  and  the  need  to  constantly  monitor.  In  the  long  run,  the  yeast  reactor  will  turn  out  more  expensive  &  more  of  a  pain  than  a  pressurized  setup.

A  pressurized  CO2  setup  is  only  expensive  initially.  After  that  its  only  a  matter  of  refilling  the  cylinder.  Let's  say  you  get  a  3Kg  cylinder.  At  3  BPS  (which  would  be  approx  the  same  as  two  yeast  setups),  the  cylinder  would  last  about  4  months  (approx).  A  refill  for  a  3kg  costs  about  3xx.  So  you  spend  that  amount  about  three  times  a  year.  IMO,  in  the  long  run,  you'll  end  up  spending  more  on  sugar,  yeast  &  headaches(!).

I'm  giving  you  this  low  down  only  because  you  want  to  inject  CO2.  IMO  a  pressurized  cylinder  set  up  is  much  better.  The  only  thing  that  is  less  hassle  is  no  CO2!   Chuckle  

But  on  a  different  note,  for  optimum  plant  health,  a  bit  of  CO2  is  a  good  thing.
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:38 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

Athreyan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Well,  I  guess  the  temperatures  play  a  role  in  the  life  of  the  mixture.  Here  in  Chennai,  it  used  to  last  me  about  10  to  12  days.  But  even  if  it  lasts  that  long,  keep  an  eye  out  for  rate  of  release  of  CO2.  But  if  you  have  2  setups,  you  can  negate  that  worry  by  replacing  every  fifteen  days,  alternately.

Alternately  or  not,  IMO  you  will  definitely  need  2  setups  at  opposite  ends  to  have  good  CO2  levels.

Typically,  the  DIY  yeast  reactor  is  workable  only  for  tanks  of  40  gallons  or  less.  This  is  in  terms  of  amount  of  CO2  needed,  economic  viability  and  the  need  to  constantly  monitor.  In  the  long  run,  the  yeast  reactor  will  turn  out  more  expensive  &  more  of  a  pain  than  a  pressurized  setup.

A  pressurized  CO2  setup  is  only  expensive  initially.  After  that  its  only  a  matter  of  refilling  the  cylinder.  Let's  say  you  get  a  3Kg  cylinder.  At  3  BPS  (which  would  be  approx  the  same  as  two  yeast  setups),  the  cylinder  would  last  about  4  months  (approx).  A  refill  for  a  3kg  costs  about  3xx.  So  you  spend  that  amount  about  three  times  a  year.  IMO,  in  the  long  run,  you'll  end  up  spending  more  on  sugar,  yeast  &  headaches(!).

I'm  giving  you  this  low  down  only  because  you  want  to  inject  CO2.  IMO  a  pressurized  cylinder  set  up  is  much  better.  The  only  thing  that  is  less  hassle  is  no  CO2!   Chuckle  

But  on  a  different  note,  for  optimum  plant  health,  a  bit  of  CO2  is  a  good  thing.                

point  taken.  Although  as  you  mentioned,  the  initial  costs  are  high...  if  I  have  calculated  this  right,  with  the  regulator,  check  valve,  cylinder  and  all  the  other  misc  stuff,  it  costs  around  7-9k...  that's  a  lot  of  money!
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:10 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

How  it's  so  much  !!  In  Kolkata  2kg  cylinder,  regulator,  check  valve,  Difuser  etc.  etc.  cost  is  just  half.  Last  November  
 I  bought  a  full  set  up  with  Solonoid  &  Timer  which  cost  me  within  12K,  where  the  solonoid  cost  me  5.5K.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:35 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

Glad  garothmaan's  banana  peel  for  potassium  is  vetoed.
 Thank  god  he  knows  not  of  other  sources  of  potassium.
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:26 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

abhis9  wrote  (View  Post):                
How  it's  so  much  !!  In  Kolkata  2kg  cylinder,  regulator,  check  valve,  Difuser  etc.  etc.  cost  is  just  half.  Last  November  
 I  bought  a  full  set  up  with  Solonoid  &  Timer  which  cost  me  within  12K,  where  the  solonoid  cost  me  5.5K.                

Actually  I  don't  get  it  so  easily  over  here(closest  is  B'lore)..  I  calculated  on  the  basis  of  price  listing  on  an  online  site  (AquariumsIndia.com).  12k  kam  hai  kya??   Shocked
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:30 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                

You  don't  know  the  half  of  it,Madan-Ji..He  was  suggesting  to  put  matar  paneer  and  vegetable  kurma  also  in  the  tank,  I  suggested  him  not  to...  joking!   ROFL
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:48 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                

ROFL   ROFL   ROFL  

@Girlcookart:  a  CO2  kit,  as  pointed  out  by  Abhi,  wouldn't  cost  as  much  as  you've  stated.  You  could  build  a  CO2  kit  for  about  half  that  with  some  searching.  I'm  not  sure  of  solenoid  valves  though.  But  usually  a  solenoid  valve  &  timer  setup  is  optional.  It  is  used  only  to  cut  off  CO2  after  a  set  period,  and  then  start  back  up  the  next  day.  this  is  usually  done  to  economize  on  CO2  consumption.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:21 am Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

Garthoman's  posts  are  good  read  and  they  come  with  a  statutory  warning  "Read  at  your  own  risk".     Very Happy  
 You  really  do  not  need  to  try  anything  very  exotic,  I  have  kept  tanks  with  diy  CO2  without  any  problems,  just  keep  lights  and  fertilizer  routine  at  lower  levels.
 Growth  will  be  slow  but  will  be  more  manageable.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: