182. Guest
183. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,835

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:14 am Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                
Garthoman's  posts  are  good  read  and  they  come  with  a  statutory  warning  "Read  at  your  own  risk".     Very Happy  
 You  really  do  not  need  to  try  anything  very  exotic,  I  have  kept  tanks  with  diy  CO2  without  any  problems,  just  keep  lights  and  fertilizer  routine  at  lower  levels.
 Growth  will  be  slow  but  will  be  more  manageable.                

Agreed.  But  I  have  been  told  that  this  method  of  keeping  aquariums,looks-wise,will  not  earn  any  prizes.  While  I  am  not  aiming  at  that,I  do  have  a  picture  in  mind  as  to  what  I  want  the  tank  to  look  like  -  leaning  a  lot  on  the  Dutch  style.  So  will  the  tank  look  thick  and  lush  enough  or  will  it  thin  over  time?  Hi  tech  tanks  do  look  vibrant  and  lush...so  will  this  too?
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:13 am Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

You  cannot  expect  a  Dutch  style  or  Nature  Aquarium  style  plant  growth  with  low  tech  and  Diana  Walstad  methods.

Dutch  and  Nature  Aquarium  styles  are  "artificial"  plant  growth.  You  provide  much  higher  levels  of  nutrients  than  is
 available  in  nature,  and  you  need  to  intervene  constantly  to  keep  the  growth  under  check.

Low  tech  /  Diana  Walstad  method  involves  minimum  intervention  in  the  tank.
 Every  time  you  prune  /  replant  expect  a  long  settling  time  for  the  tank.  The  plants  will  compete,  thrive  /  die  off
 /  survive  depending  on  their  selection  /  adjustments.

Your  plant  selection  cannot  be  rows  of  contrasting  leaf  shapes  and  sizes,  nor  carpeting  foreground  plants.
 Due  less  light  you'll  have  all  the  carpet  plants  growing  tall.  If  you  increase  only  light,  then  CO2  needs  to  be  increased,
 which  DIY  CO2  cannot  cope  with,  nutrient  dosing  needs  to  be  increased,  and  you  are  where  you  were  when  you  started.

Crying or Very sad   9  K  for  a  CO2  system  ?????   :o

So  rest  happy  that  you  are  not  fuelling  "artificial"  plant  growth,  convince  your  self  that  you  are  doing  things  "naturally".
 Enjoy  your  aquarium.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:12 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

+1  with  Madan.
 You  need  to  define  your  goals.
 If  you  want  a  aquascaped  tank  with  either  Dutch  style  or  Nature  Aquarium  style,  you  need  a  pressurised  co2  system  with  high  lights  and  regular  fertilizer  routines.
 It  involves  a  high  degree  of  maintenance  with  regular  water  changes  and  high  level  of  pruning.
 Dutch  style  involves  a  lot  of  stem  plants,  in  a   low  light  setup,  stem  plants  try  to  reach  the  surface,  lose  leaves  on  lower  part  of  stem  and  start  to  look  real  ugly.
 Soil  substrate  tank  do  better  with  slow  growing  plants  like  ferns,  crypts,  anubias  etc.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:29 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

This  is  an  interesting  discussion  on  same  topic.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/19819-high-tech-vs-low-tech-el.html
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:35 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

It  should  cost  you  MAX  7K  for  a  pressurized  CO2  kit  including  everything  you  need  and  3.5kg  cylinder.  

If  you  are  intent  on  going  the  DIY  yeast  CO2  method  then  I  would  make  the  following  suggestions

1]  Make  3  bottles,  started  5  days  apart

2]  These  3  bottles  connect  to  a  4  way  airline  connector  with  the  4th  outlet  of  the  connector  going  to  the  tank

3]  In  between  the  4way  and  your  bottles  have  an  airline  knob/stopcock  type  connector  to  shut  off  completely  when  you  are  disconnecting  a  bottle  to  refresh  the  mix.  This  way  you  wont  lose  pressure  and  gas.  Remember  to  ope  it  again  to  avoid  a  disaster  !!

4]  Dont  use  more  than  1  to  1.5  cups  of  sugar  the  rest  will  get  wasted

5]  Use  a  reactor  rather  than  a  diffuser  to  get  the  CO2  dissolved

6]  When  restarting  your  yeast  mix  keep  a  little  of  the  old  mix  in  the  bottle.  The  yeast  will  become  more  alcohol  tolerant  over  successive  generations  and  your  mix  will  last  longer

7]  MAke  sure  you  have  good  flow  and  that  your  lights  and  ferts  are  balanced  with  respect  to  your  CO2

8]  Aim  for  1-1.5WPG  of  light  in  this  tank
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:40 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

Chuckle  har  har  har....

But  that  CO2  demo  is  worth  it...  Thumb Up   Clapping   thanks.

China  is  full  of  alternative  methods  Cheering   cheaper  and  dangerous  Drinking
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:46 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

thanks  for  the  reality  check,  @Sandeep  @Mortis  and  @Madan...  I  would  have  loved  the  colorful  Dutch  style  but  I  neither  have  the  money  nor  the  energy  to  keep  pruning  all  the  time.  I'll  go  ahead  with  crypts,  swords  and  ferns.  
 Also,  didn't  know  that  an  entire  CO2  kit  comes  within  7.5k!  still,  between  that  and  affording  a  custom  made  clear  glass  4  footer  (can  anyone  tell  me  how  much  I  have  to  shed  to  afford  this?)...I'm  going  for  the  glass.
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:03 am Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

girlcookart  wrote  (View  Post):                
thanks  for  the  reality  check,  @Sandeep  @Mortis  and  @Madan...  I  would  have  loved  the  colorful  Dutch  style  but  I  neither  have  the  money  nor  the  energy  to  keep  pruning  all  the  time.  I'll  go  ahead  with  crypts,  swords  and  ferns.  
 Also,  didn't  know  that  an  entire  CO2  kit  comes  within  7.5k!  still,  between  that  and  affording  a  custom  made  clear  glass  4  footer  (can  anyone  tell  me  how  much  I  have  to  shed  to  afford  this?)...I'm  going  for  the  glass.                

A  clear  glass  48x18x18x  (8  mm)  was  quoted  at  4500  here  in  Mumbai.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:35 am Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

A  pressurised  system  need  not  burn  a  big  hole  in  your  pocket.
 You  can  do  with  following.

A  2-3  kg  co2  cylinder                                                                        -2.5  to  3k
 A  single  stage  regulator(with  2  gauges)                             -  2-2.5k
 Pu  tubing,Check  value,Needle  valve                                    -  1K
 A  small  piece  of  silicon  tubing  for  last  connection.

The  total  price  would  be  around  the  same  as  suggested  by  mortis.
 However  do  ensure  that  the  cylinder  is  tested,  they  come  with  a  ring  around  their  necks.
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:54 am Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

You  may  already  have  thought  of  this  but  when  you  go  for  a  clear  glass  tank,  you  only  need  clear  glass  on  the  viewable  sides.

In  most  cases  only  the  front  or  the  front  and  sides.  No  need  to  build  the  entire  thing  out  of  clear  glass.  

Regards,
 Venkat
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:34 am Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

Check  with  IAH  Ids  shishirkamath  and  mirji  both  are  from  Belgaum  and  longtime  IAH  members.
 Mr  Mirji  had  installed  a  CO2  system  a  few  years  ago.
 They  will  be  more  than  willing  to  help  you  out  at  Belgaum  regarding  a  CO2  cylinder.
 You  can  go  for  a  stripped  down  system  where  the  cylinder  is  the  major  cost.
 Regulator  +  needle  valve  +  bubble  counter  can  be  had  pretty  cheap.
 You  can  a  DIY  a  reactor  or  run  CO2  off  a  power  head.

Avoid  a  solenoid,  run  CO2  24  x  7  or  shut  it  off  every  evening.

This  will  all  come  at  half  your  estimation.

As  long  as  you  keep  lighting  low  with  DIY  CO2,  a  4  feet  tank,  and  you  are  very  patient,  you  will  have  a  glowing  tank  in  8-12  months.
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:56 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

thanks  for  the  boost,  @Sandeepraghuvanshi,  @Madan,@vkv,@ramarosi  ..  45xx  is  good  enough.  that  and  a  stand  with  lights  are  all  I  can  afford.  I'll  upgrade  to  a  CO2  system  later..  Good  willing,  I'll  have  extra  moolah  for  that  too.  

@vkv:  yeah,I  have  read  some  of  the  posts  of  aquarists  here  about  building  their  own  tanks.  I'm  thinking  of  going  for  a  12  mm  extra  clear  glass  front+  sides  and  regular  12  mm  back+bottom.  After  all,if  I'm  going  big,it  better  look  beautiful  too!
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:37 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

For  12  mm  clear  glass  the  sqft  price  was  Rs  295  
 10  mm  was  275  and  it  goes  like  that
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

jabba  wrote  (View  Post):                
For  12  mm  clear  glass  the  sqft  price  was  Rs  295  
 10  mm  was  275  and  it  goes  like  that                
 aaakk!  with  clear  glass  being  used  at  total  12  sq  ft  and  regular  glass  at  total  14  sq  ft  …  total  price  comes  to  7k-8k..!!!  this  is  getting  too  much!
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:32 pm Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the DIRT (Diana Walstad) method? Reply with quote

How  did  it  come  to  7  to  8K.

12  sqft  X  295  =3540
 14  sqft  X  85   =  1190

Total  =  4730

SO  tank  price  will  be  5K  to  5.5K  if  you  make  it  considering  the  cost  for  Silicon
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: