179. Guest
180. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,836

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc_siddhu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:03 am Post subject: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

Hey  guyz,

I'm  Dr.  Siddharth,  from  Hyderabad.  I  was  interested  in  getting  a  big  tank  for  quite  a  long  time.  I  have  been  busy  with  my  studies  and  was  outta  town.

I  recently  passed  my  M.S  Orthopedics  and  i  finally  have  some  free  time  at  home.

I'm  planning  to  have  a  8'  L  x  3'  W  x  4'  H  tank  that  comes  to  around  2,600  liter  volume.  Its  going  to  be  a  freshwater  tank  with  dark  rosewood  coloured  stand  and  top,  black  substrate,  with  a  DYI  black/brown/green  rocky  background.  With  a  tank  this  size  i  know  there's  a  ton  of  things  to  worry  about  and  I'm  constantly  reading  or  watching  videos  to  get  everything  right.

The  tank  is  going  to  be  placed  in  our  main  living  room  which  is  on  the  first  floor  of  our  house.  theres  plenty  of  natural  light  coming  in  the  room  from  20  foot  high  window  panes(  10  ft  x  4)  and  another  sunroof  at  the  top  and  it  gets  a  little  warm  in  summer  afternoons.

I  still  dint  completely  fix  my  plans  and  I'm  open  to  new  ideas  and  changes.

my  main  concerns  are-

1.  The  SIZE-  i  have  room  for  an  even  bigger  tank  but  i  dont  want  to  worry  about  even  bigger  monthly  maintenance  expenses.  if  i  think  the  maintenance  might  be  a  problem  i  might  cut  back  on  the  width  and  height  of  the  tank  by  half  foot  each  to  8  x  2.5  x  3.5,  but  making  it  to  1900  liter  volume.  I  want  the  big  size  to  have  a  WIDE  display  to  be  a  feast  for  the  eyes  Very Happy   and  to  house  big  fish,  arowanas  likely.

2.  The  WEIGHT  -  its  gonna  weigh  2.5  tons  (  i  think  im  right)  along  with  the  stand,  etc.  Can  the  concrete  floor  hold  all  that  weight  ?  (  the  tank  will  be  on  the  first  floor  of  the  house  )

3.  The  GLASS  -  thought  id  go  for  the  best  diamond  clear  glass,  but  that  costs  nearly  twice  as  much  as  regular  glass.  Is  the  diamond  clear  glass  really  worth  it   Surprised  ??  Im  thinking  il  get  the  regular  toughened  glass.  Will  18  or  20  mm  thickness  be  enough  ?

4.  The  FILTRATION  -  this  is  one  im  really  confused  about.  Im  still  new  to  this.  I  originally  thought  of  getting  a  sump  filtration,  but  my  local  fish  store  keeper  says  using  multiple  canister  filters  works  good  enough  (  he  suggested  some  german  made  ones  costing  15k  a  piece.  dint  go  into  the  power  output  details).  Can  you  suggest  the  best  filtration  i  can  get,  but  with  low  maintainance  costs  (  electricity  bills  etc)

5.  The  MAINTENANCE  COSTS  -  my  dad  is  paying  for  it  right  now..  and  i  dont  want  the  maintenance  to  be  a  problem  later(  ELECTRICITY  BILLS).  Im  looking  to  invest  all  the  money  into  a  good  quality  initial  setup  that  has  to  look  really  good.  Can  you  suggest  me  good  quality,  but  not  too  expensive,  filtration  and  lighting  to  be  used.  How  much  WATTAGE  will  all  the  equipment  necessary  righly  be.  Monthly  Electricity  cost  ?   Sad  

I  want  the  lowest  maintenance  reasonably  possible  right  now  and  im  willing  to  change  or  reduce  my  fish  stockings  if  necessary  for  that.  After  a  while  ill  modify  the  setup  to  house  big  fish.  For  now,  Im  thinking  I'll  be  ok  with  monthly  expenses  upto  Rs  4000     Thumb Up  

6.  The  FISH  -  i  eventually  want  to  house  arowanas  with  peacock  bass  or  arowanas  with  schools  of  striped  silver  dollars  and  large  schools  of  small  schooling  fish   Very Happy  or  even  discus  and  angels.  Not  decided  yet.  Depends  on  the  Maintenance   Crying or Very sad  

7.  The  CLEANING  /  WATER  CHANGES  -  im  willing  to  invest  more  in  better  filtration  if  it  can  reduce  cleaning  needs.  the  4  foot  high  tank  must  be  tough  to  climb  into.  might  need  to  buy  a  new  ladder  Thumb Up  .  how  often  do  i  need  to  do  water  changes  and  filter  cleanings  or  complete  tank  cleanings,  if  suppose  its  an  all  arowana  tank.

8.  The  NOISE  -  i  dont  want  the  soud  of  all  the  equipment  get  too  loud  and  disturbing  in  our  peaceful  livingroom

and  to  keep  the  running  costs  low,  i  dont  want  to  use  any  heaters  or  sensitive  plants  in  the  aquarium

PLEASE  help  me  decide  so  i  can  start  working  on  my  dream  this  week   :D

Any  help  is  greatly  appreciated   Smile
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:46 am Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

Welcome  TO  IAH  Mr.  Siddharth.  Enjoy  your  stay  here.

Well  people  who  own  this  size  of  tank  surely  help  you.  Just  wait  for  their  comments.

From  my  side  I  can  tell  you  couple  of  things:

>  Tank  size  -  go  for  8'x3'x3'  ...it  will  looks  nice.  One  of  my  friend  have  the  same  size  of  tank.

>  Filtration  -  I  think  you  should  go  for  sump.  Low  cost  as  well  as  good  performance.  My  friend  also  have  the  sump  for  his  8  feeter.  But  for  the  flow  in  tank  he  kept  one  Eheim  2217.

>  You  actually  don't  need  diamond  clear  glass.  We  generally  used  id  for  planted  tank.  Go  for  normal  one.
Vinod_Uthaiah
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:58 am Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

Hi.....Welcome  to  the  world  of  monster  tanks  and  monster  fishes.  Cheer   Cheer   Clapping   Clapping  
 Let  me  answer  your  questions....

1)  I  wish  that  you  dont  do  the  4  ft  hieght  ,  it  is  impractical  for  cleaning  ,  getting  in  n  out  would  be  herculean.  Since  this  is  an  all  glass  tank  ,  chances  of  damage  are  very  high.
 Even  if  you  wish  to  change  your  decor  or  replace  fallen  decor  it  is  next  to  impossible  with  all  the  water  in  (  saying  this  because  you  mentioned  about  the  arowanas  and  Pbass  )
 You  have  also  mentioned  natural  light  coming  in  ,  you  might  run  into  algae  issues  if  there  is  direct  sunlight  falling  in.
 Your  idea  of  width  and  length  is  good.  Cheers

2)  Weight:  I  am  a  little  sceptical  on  this.  Are  you  comfortable  the  technical  way  to  resolve  your  doubts  ,  I  wish  to  speak  on  Load  bearing  capacity  ,  9  inch  walls  and  pillars  for  this  monstrosity  of  a  tank.

3)  You  said  this  is  going  to  be  in  your  living  room  (  feast  for  your  eyes  and  others  too  )...so,  clear  glass  for  the  front  if  I  may  suggest  and  the  rest  toughned  20mm  or  more.
       Have  you  planned  on  the  build  of  the  aquarium  since  there  will  b  a  tremendous  water  pressure  acting  on  your  glass  and  also  when  Pbass  and  arowanas  dart  around  ,  pressure  on  glass  increases.

4)  DIY  your  filter  ,  dont  go  the  LFS  way  ,  he  is  trying  to  make  a  fast  buck  out  of  you  .  Will  tell  you  in  the  end  why  DIY  is  better  if  you  are  willing  to  invest  some  time  of  urs.

5)  Lighting  ...sorry  not  my  foray...all  my  tanks  dont  have  lights  ...My  way  of  fish  keeping.

6)  Arowanas  and  schooling  fishes  is  a  nice  visual  treat  I  suppose  (  experts  pls  comment  )  .  The  first  thought  I  had  was  Arowanas  rushing  to  put  the  shoal  into  their  mouth  and  now  you  know  what  will  happen  to  your  decor  inside.

7)  I  do  a  10  -  20%  of  water  changes  in  all  my  5  tanks  twice  a  week  .  Keeps  the  Nitrate  levels  down  and  induces  good  health  among  my  fishes.  Filtration  is  not  the  only  method  to  keep  the  fishes  happy  ,  water  changing  schedules  are  though.

8)  If  you  can  do  a  fully  submersible  pump  for  your  filtration  ,  sounds  are  very  minimal.  The  water  pumping  capacity  is  also  higher.

There  are  many  more  for  you  to  worry  about  ,  lets  take  it  step  by  step  .  

My  smallest  tank  is  a  2  ft  *  1  ft  and  my  biggest  is  a  8  ft  *  3ft  *  3ft  with  a  DIY  filter  (  very  cost  effective  and  fine  tuned  )
 You  can  call  me  if  you  wish  to  speak  in  detail.
 I  have  a  post  on  my  8ft  tank  build  in  IAH  just  for  visuals.
 Good  luck  and  let  us  all  know  on  your  progress......  Thumb Up   Thumb Up   Thumb Up
juanico
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:17 pm Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

First  of  all:  great  project!

doc_siddhu  wrote  (View  Post):                

I'm  planning  to  have  a  8'  L  x  3'  W  x  4'  H  tank  that  comes  to  around  2,600  liter  volume.  Its  going  to  be  a  freshwater  tank  with  dark  rosewood  coloured  stand  and  top,  black  substrate,  with  a  DYI  black/brown/green  rocky  background.  With  a  tank  this  size  i  know  there's  a  ton  of  things  to  worry  about  and  I'm  constantly  reading  or  watching  videos  to  get  everything  right.                

it  will  be  much  more  than  that.  glas  alone  will  be  around  550kg  +  2  to  water  +  sand,  gravel,  background,  lights,  stand

...+  10  people  standing  in  front  of  it  and  dreaming  about  having  this  tank  at  home   Chuckle  

i  think  its  better  to  estimate  3.5-4  to.
doc_siddhu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:49 pm Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

thanks  a  lot  for  the  reply  guyz

Mr.  Vinod,  even  im  considering  to  go  for  an  8x  3  x  3  tank  after  giving  it  a  lot  of  thought     Smile   
 And  u  have  the  same  size  tank  right?  thats  really  great  to  get  some  input  from  you   Bow  
 im  really  interested  in  learning  as  much  as  i  can.  can  you  tell  me  how  to  go  about  the  sump  setup  (the  type  of  pump  and  capacity  needed)  ?  can  you  tell  me  roughly  how  much  the  monthly  expenses  will  be.  

im  goin  to  start  working  at  a  hospital  next  week,  so  im  worried  i  might  not  have  enough  time  to  put  into  this.  So  im  planning  to  research  on  all  aspects  of  the  tank  and  guide  my  LFS  guy  to  build  it  for  me.  And  i  might  make  my  DYI  background  and  instruct  the  LFS  guy  to  do  my  sump  filtration  with  me  guiding  it.  Neutral
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:50 pm Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

@  Siddharth,

A  warm  welcome  to  IAH.  

You  have  detailed  all  the  aspects  that  you  need  to  get  to  your  dream  project.

As  a  first  step,  I  would  request  you  to  contact  a  Civil  engineer  guy  who  can  inspect  your  room  where  you  want  to  keep  the  tank.  Based  on  his  opinion  on  whether  the  room  could  bear  the  weight  of  the  tank,  then  you  can  go  ahead  with  the  plan.

If  there  are  no  beams  underneath  the  room  where  you  would  be  keeping  the  tank,  then  I  dont  think  that  the  floor  would  be  able  to  take  the  weight  of  the  tank.  So  if  that  is  ruled  out,  then  you  can  start  planning  on  the  tank  and  the  other  factors  related  to  the  tank.

So  first  consult  the  Civil  eng  guy  and  then  carry  forward  with  your  project.   Thumb Up  

Wold  be  waiting  for  your  update..
doc_siddhu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:56 pm Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

josyjames  wrote  (View  Post):                
@  Siddharth,

As  a  first  step,  I  would  request  you  to  contact  a  Civil  engineer  guy  who  can  inspect  your  room  where  you  want  to  keep  the  tank.  Based  on  his  opinion  on  whether  the  room  could  bear  the  weight  of  the  tank,  then  you  can  go  ahead  with  the  plan.

Even  my  dad  has  suggested  the  same   Smile
 will  do  that
Vinod_Uthaiah
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:02 pm Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

josyjames  wrote  (View  Post):                
@  Siddharth,

A  warm  welcome  to  IAH.  

You  have  detailed  all  the  aspects  that  you  need  to  get  to  your  dream  project.

If  there  are  no  beams  underneath  the  room  where  you  would  be  keeping  the  tank,  then  I  dont  think  that  the  floor  would  be  able  to  take  the  weight  of  the  tank.  So  if  that  is  ruled  out,  then  you  can  start  planning  on  the  tank  and  the  other  factors  related  to  the  tank.

So  first  consult  the  Civil  eng  guy  and  then  carry  forward  with  your  project.   Thumb Up  

Very  right....+1
doc_siddhu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:50 pm Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

Mr.  Vinod
 can  u  post  the  link  to  your  forum  ?  im  not  able  to  find  it

and  i  might  follow  your  setup  if  it  seems  compatible   Smile  
 will  i  be  able  to  call  u  or  msg  u  if  necessary
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:11 pm Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

Wow....you  have  got  the  right  person  to  start  up  with.......

But  with  arowanas  is  there  any  small  schooling  fish  that  can  live.....
 If  there  is  then  it  would  be  awesomeeeee.
 Any  ways  angels  and  discus  in  my  opinion(not  experiance....I  have  never  kept  monster  fishes)  would  directly  fall  in  arowanas  stomach.  Even  silver  dollars  wont  live  long  .........  I  think  Kaya's  tank  had  them  but  eventually  arowanas  had  them...
 Here  is  Kaya's  post  you  will  love  to  read

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23903
Vinod_Uthaiah
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:14 pm Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

I  hope  this  is  the  link....  
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=32220

Mine  is  a  little  different....only  the  front  is  glass...rest  all  are  cement  n  brick.
 Please  call  me  at  any  time...I  prefer  to  be  called  Very Happy
doc_siddhu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:07 pm Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

that  would  be  grt  Mr.  Vinod   Smile  
 im  gonna  visit  a  few  LFS  here  for  some  ideas,  then  ill  ring  u  up  in  the  evening  if  possible  

for  my  fish  stocking  i  always  had  the  idea  of  housing  huge  schools  of  small  fish  in  a  big  tank   Thumbs Up   with  a  gentle  giant  around  that  encourages  the  smaller  ones  to  school

i  guess  its  not  possible  with  arowanas  in  the  tank.  

actually  i  always  wanted  to  get  a  red  arowana.  that  will  still  take  some  time  to  acquire  i  guess.  i  might  house  one  or  two  arowanas  with  schooling  medium  sized  fish  like  silver  dollars,  barbs  etc.  i  have  seen  hundreds  of  videos  of  arowana  tanks  with  some  fish  i  have  in  mind.

for  the  time  being  i  want  to  start  my  tank  with  this  kinda  look  and  stocking.  I  LOVE  THIS  SETUP   Rock On  
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bChtA8MGm8A

i  absolutely  love  the  black-barred  silver  dollars  in  there  (  also  called  disc  tetra)
 http://badmanstropicalfish.com/stats/characins_stats/stats_characins_Myleus_schomburgkii.html

Are  these  fish  available  here  locally  ?
karthickRAJA
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:51 pm Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

Great  project   Thumb Up  
 Regarding  size  ,  you  can  reduce  the  height  of  the  tank  as  it  becomes  difficult  to  clean  .  As  others  suggested,  8'  x  3'  x  3'  will  be  your  best  bet.  Glass  thickness  should  be  20MM  minimum  for  this  kind  of  size.  If  you  can  afford,  go  for  clear  glass  but  i  think  its  not  that  much  needed  as  you  can  spend  remaining  amt  in  some  other  decorational  stuffs.  

Regarding  filtration,  go  for  the  sump  type  (4'  x  2'  x  2'  minimum)which  is  economical  and  efficient  at  the  same  time  and  spend  maximum  best  you  can  afford  since  filtration  is  very  essential.  I  will  leave  the  rest  since  many  more  experts  are  here  to  suggest  you  in  detail  than  me.

Regarding  lights,  A  normal  aquarium  light  or  T5  will  do.  If  you  wish  to  go  for  arowana  (esp  red),  I  would  recommend  LED  lighting  like  Aquazonic  LED  and  arcadia  arowana  LED  lamps  for  tanning.

Regarding  Livestocks,  I  will  suggest  you  to  add  clown  loaches  ,  siamese  tigers  and  some  Emperor  blue  hooks  and  red  hooks  and  if  possible  ray  pups  but  adult  rays  need  a  pond  like  dimensions  to  grow.

Good  luck  to  your  project   Clapping   .  Eagerly  waiting  for  you  updates
doc_siddhu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:53 pm Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

karthickRAJA  wrote  (View  Post):                
Great  project   Thumb Up  

Regarding  Livestocks,  I  will  suggest  you  to  add  clown  loaches  ,  siamese  tigers  and  some  Emperor  blue  hooks  and  red  hooks  and  if  possible  ray  pups  but  adult  rays  need  a  pond  like  dimensions  to  grow.

Good  luck  to  your  project   Clapping   .  Eagerly  waiting  for  you  updates                

ya  im  definitely  going  to  have  clown  loaches  and  emperor  blue  hooks  in  there.
 the  disc  tetra/  black-barred  silver  dollar  actually  the  same  emperor  blue  hook,  i  just  found  out  -  Myleus  schomburgkii
doc_siddhu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:21 pm Post subject: Re: New 8 FOOT 2500 liter tank- NEED HELP Reply with quote

Ive  been  to  a  decent  LFS  store  today  who  finally  understand  my  needs  and  have  good  experience  and  knowledge  bout  big  tanks.  im  going  to  get  my  setup  done  by  them.

Im  planning  to  go  for  the  best  filtration  possible.
 thinking  bout  a  6'  x  2'  x  2'  sump  underneath  the  tank  with  4  partitions  and  two  powerheads-  one  for  suction  and  one  to  pump.  suggested  by  the  lfs  guy

can  u  guyz  suggest  what  power  output  will  be  really  good  for  the  filtration.  i  still  have  to  read  more  bout  this  stuff.   Crying or Very sad  

Im  thinking  to  go  big  and  not  compromise  on  what  i  have  always  wanted.
 ill  got  for  the  8'  x  3'  x  4'  tank.

so  il  get  the  best  filtration  possible  to  reduce  the  cleaning  needs,  stick  to  once  a  week  10-20%  water  changes  and  sump  media  cleaning  once  in  one  or  2  months  and  if  the  tank  needs  a  thorough  cleanup  ill  pay  the  LFS  guy  to  get  in  there  and  clean  it  up  for  me   Smile   but  how  often  will  that  be..  every  6  months  or  once  a  year  ?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: