198. Guest
199. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,643

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - experts help needed on Co2 setup bit Urgent.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

experts help needed on Co2 setup bit Urgent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arun_anto
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:16 am Post subject: experts help needed on Co2 setup bit Urgent. Reply with quote

Dear  Friends,
 I  am  Arun  from  chennai.  New  to  planted  tanks,  need  your  advise  on  co2  setup.
 I  have  2kg  co2  used  fire  extinguisher  without  diptube  removed(planning  to  get  it  removed  once  the  cylinder  gets  empty)
 the  link  for  images  of  the  entire  setup  
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/108111617@N03/
 anything  wrong  with  the  equipments?

The  regulator(dual  stage  dual  gauge)  get  droplets  outside  (due  to  co2  temperature  may  be)  is  it  normal?
 The  solenoid  valve  (230v  Ac  solenoid)  gets  overheated  is  it  normal?
 The  needle  valve  is  it  ok  to  use  this?
 I  get  a  hissing  sound  for  long  time(it  doesnt  stop)  is  it  due  to  leak  or  is  it  normal?  if  leak,  how  to  check  it  with  electrical  solenoid  valve  since  soap  bubble  cannot  be  used,  any  other  way?
 what  is  the  pressure  level  to  set  in  regulator?  i  can  never  set  it  to  1  or  2  BPS.  if  i  set  it  it  drops  to  nothing  within  minutes.

I  am  stuck  up  for  more  than  a  month  with  this  setup.  also  have  broken  a  tank  with  high  pressure  co2  busting  the  bubble  valve  intern  the  tank  bottom  (would  not  happen  normally  but  my  bad  luck),  lost  most  of  my  plants  interim.

Please  help  me  with  this  any  help  is  highly  appreciated.
 Thanks
   A.Arun
dotfish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:29 pm Post subject: Re: experts help needed on Co2 setup bit Urgent. Reply with quote

Hi  Arun,
 Though  I  am  not  an  expert  to  give  suggestion  regarding  pressurized  Co2  setup  I  thought  I  will  chip  in  with  my  comments  as  I  was  in  your  shoes  almost  2  months  back,  with  cylinder  and  regulator  and  needle  valve  I  was  like  a  kid  with  a  new  toy  who  didn't  knew  how  to  play  with  that  new  toy.  So  I  started  reading  the  articles  written  by  veterans  in  this  forums  and  also  I  grabbed  as  much  as  info  available  on  the  net  regarding  setting  up  DIY  pressured  CO2  with  fire  extinguishers.  

Now  coming  back  your  query
 With  the  pictures  you  provided  things  looks  ok  as  I  could  see  a  good  regulator  with  needle  valve  and  Solenoid  (  may  be   our  experts  can  find  things  I  missed  out)
 Droplets  is  suspicious  as  it  makes  me  believe  its  dumping  liquid  co2(  I  might  be  wrong  here,  it  can  be  moisture  also),  again  expert  can  confirm  it
 Continuous  hissing  sound  is  surely  a  reason  to  worry  as  I  found  hissing  sound  comes  only  when  you  open  the  valve  of  cylinder/regulator  and  it  last  for  a  few  seconds  only,  so  this  continuous  hissing  sound  makes  me  think  it  can  be  due  to  leaks  for  sure
 For  pressure  levels  let  me  give  you  this  wonderful  article  series  written  by  Trevor  sir  and  the  link  is   here  to  start.
 Also  another  link  which  helped  me  form  the  web  is   here  
 Me  too  finds  fiddling  with  needle  valve  to  get  the  right  BPS  most  of  the  time  but  with  solenoid  valve  I  read  its  always  set  and  forget  way  but  I  am  get  yet  to  get  a  Solenoid  so  I  cant  comment  on  that  part
 Seeing  your  post  made  me  recall  the  trouble  I  took  to  setup  mine  so  I  wrote  this  replay  but  I  am  sure  many  experienced  people  are  here  who  can  pinpoint  exactly  whats  wrong  with  your  setup,  they  will  be  chipping  in  soon

I  am  keeping  a  watch  on  this  thread  as  it  will  help  me  too

With  regards
 dotfish
Sunny_2K_99
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:23 pm Post subject: Re: experts help needed on Co2 setup bit Urgent. Reply with quote

Hi  arun,

IMO  leak  between  the  shutoff  valve  and  the  cylinder.

Dip  the  entire  co2  setup  (without  solenoid)  into  a  bathtub  and  see  some  tiny  bubbles  comming  out  from  cylinder  (where  the  shutoff  valve  attached)

Regards

Sunny
shyamhegde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:20 pm Post subject: Re: experts help needed on Co2 setup bit Urgent. Reply with quote

Since  the  tube  in  the  cylinder  is  not  removed,  liquid  form  of  CO2  is  entering  your  plumbing.  The  place  which  is  acting  as  expansion  valve  (like,  in  refrigerator),  it  is  cooling  the  place  down  causing  water  condensation  around  the  area.  This  variation  in  temp  of  pipes  could  be  causing  needle  valve  float.
 Solenoid  gets  heated  up  and  it  is  normal.  
 You  seems  to  have  done  good  plumbing  and  i  actually  do  not  suspect  there  is  a  leak  unless  you  feel  so.  Hissing  sound  could  be  from  diffuser  or  so?
arun_anto
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:04 pm Post subject: Re: experts help needed on Co2 setup bit Urgent. Reply with quote

Dear  Friends,  
 Thanks  a  ton  for  taking  time  to  explain  me  things.  I  do  did  reading  before  starting  but  always  when  it  comes  to  practical,  things  are  different.  I  have  learned  it  the  hard  way.  thanks  for  sharing  some  good  articles   I  suspect  leak  between  regulator  and  solenoid  will  do  the  plumbing  again  and  check.  I  have  not  connected  the  setup  with  a  diffuser  just  immersed  the  tube  in  a  tub  to  see  the  bubbles  (as  i  don't  want  to  do  anything  wrong  to  my  tank  again)  once  i  am  sure  of  the  setup  then  iam  planning  to  connect  it  to  a  bubble  counter  and  diffuser.  
 once  again  i  have  not  seen  any  needle  valve  like  mine  is  it  ok  to  use  it?
 also  i  think  the  co2  might  last  for  atleast  2-3  months  is  it  ok  to  use  it  with  the  diptube  till  that  time?
 i  also  think  the  droplet  is  due  to  moisture  or  condensation  but  the  entire  regulator  is  chill  when  touching  is  it  normal  and  ok  to  use?
 can  anyone  share  the  regulator  pressure  reading  picture  to  have  a  rough  idea  of  the  pressure  setting.

Thanks  much  again
 A.Arun
dotfish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:03 pm Post subject: Re: experts help needed on Co2 setup bit Urgent. Reply with quote

My  regulator  pressure  reading  as  following
 The  dial  near  to  tank  shows  50  kg/cm2
 the  dial  (  on  left  side)near  to  needle  valve  reads  1  kg/cm2

regards
 dotfish
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: