179. Guest
180. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,716

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Planted tank lighting parameters
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Planted tank lighting parameters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Lighting for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:17 am Post subject: Planted tank lighting parameters Reply with quote

Consider  a  heavily  planted  tank,  with  ample  CO2,  and  fertilization.  A  few  doubts  about  choosing  bulbs,  to  provide  the  right  lighting  for  the  plants.

Question  1.

Is  6500K  what  we  are  aiming  for,  or  is  it  8000K?  I  have  read  that  Amano  uses  8000K  lighting.  In  simpler  words,  if  there  are  bulbs  with  Kelvin  ratings  of  5200K,  5500K,  6000K,  6500K,  7000K,  7500K  and  8000K  and  of  course  10000K,  14000k  and  20000K  available  in  the  form  we  need,  and  in  the  wattage  that  we  are  looking  for,  which  one  would  be  our  best  buy?  Please  note  that  I  am  discussing  ONLY  color  temperature,  assuming  all  other  parameters  like  lumens,  CRI  etc  etc  are  all  in  the  most  favorable  range  for  all  of  these.

Question  2.

Assume  there  are  only  2  bulbs  available  in  the  wattage  I  am  looking  for.  One  is  a  5200K,  with  a  CRI  of  96,  and  the  other  one  is  a  6500K,  with  a  CRI  of  86,  which  one  would  be  a  better  option?  O  know  we  would  like  to  have  teh  CRI  over  90  for  a  planted  tank.  Here  I  am  referring  to  the  importance  of  CRI,  over  color  temperature.  Please  answer  with  your  justifications!

Thanks  in  advance  for  reading,  and  thanks  once  again  for  sharing  your  opinions  if  any!
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:14 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Nytyn,

CRI  of  90  +  is  used  in  color  matching  industry,  most  notably  textiles.
 In  an  aquarium  you  will  not  need  it  unless  you  are  obsessed  about  it.  The  difference  in  a  planted  tank  will  be  barely  discernable  and  not  make  much  difference  to  plant  growth.

If  you  can  lay  your  hands  on  8000K  bulbs  go  for  it  and  let  me  know  where  you  got  it.

Choice  between  5200  and  6500  K  bulbs,  go  for  6500K,  the  light  penetrates  that  little  bit  more  in  the  aquarium.
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:30 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  nitin

Well  the  colour  temp  will  depend  on  what  plants  you  want  to  kepp  in  this  tank  meaning  the  greens  or  the  reds.  If  it  is  the  greens  predomenantly  more  then  the  8000k  tube  is  a  better  option.  If  you  notice  ammno's  set  ups  he  always  uses  green  plants  with  may  be  an  exception  of  1  or  2  set  ups.  
       The  8000k  light  does  penetrates  deeper  and  hence  is  a  good  light  but  if  u  end  up  having  a  lot  on  red  plants  then  their  colour  wont  come  out  as  expected.  A  good  lighting  set  up  would  be  to  accomadate  atleat  1  or  2  4000-  5200  k  bulbs.

For  you  2nd  question  the  cri  is  prefferd  over  90  for  a  planted  tank.  The  CRI    of  90  means  that  under  that  light  the  object  will  look  90  %  of  what  it  will  in  natual  sunlight.i.e  there  is  a  10%  deviation  in  the  way  a  object  looks  in  natuaral  light  to  the  bulb.  Hope  i  was  able  to  put  the  point  across.

The  CRI  is  only  critical  for  viewing  it  will  not  help  in  better  plant  growth.

Regards
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:48 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

So,  I  understand  that  a  higher  CRI  is  better,  and  80  plus  is  more  than  enough.

Its  more  about  the  color  temperature,  right?

And  8000K,  is  anyday  better  than  6500K,  unless  I  am  really  looking  at  red  plants  in  a  big  way!

Thanks  for  the  inputs.
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:28 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Nytyn,

CRI:
 As  Madan  &  Harshal  mentioned,  CRI  would  not  make  much  difference  to  the  plant  growth.  I  would  say  "any  difference"  'cause  CRI  is  a  measurement  of  how  well  a  light  source  displays  colors  to  the  human  eye.  The  higher  the  CRI,  the  better  the  plant  will  look  to  you,  but  with  no  'noticible'  difference  is  growth.  

They  would  look  better  only  if  get  them  to  grow  better  (healthy).    Smile  

Kelvin  TEMPERATURE  (+  wavelength):
 Water  absorbs  and  scatters  light;  therefore  penetration  also  decreases  with  increase  in  water  depth.

8000K  will  have  more  of  blue  (shorter  wavelengths)  &  4000K  will  predominantly  have  more  of  red  (longer  wavelengths)  

Meaning:  A  8000K  light  will  penetrate  more  than  a  4000K,  which  mean  more  light  for  the  plants  close  to  the  substrate,  even  after  scattering.

Madan  wrote:                
If  you  can  lay  your  hands  on  8000K  bulbs  go  for  it  and  let  me  know  where  you  got  it.                

Madan,

Osram  is  has  launched  the  8000K  lamps.  They  should  be  available  at  the  Metro  mid  this  month  &  soon  in  the  local  market.    Thumb Up  

Specs:
 T8
 36W
 Regular  4ft.  length  (1200mm),  can  be  used  with  regular  Control  Gear.
 Price:  2  digit  figure.

Harshal,  you  can  go  in  for  direct  replacements  &  keep  us  posted  on  the  observations.    Very Happy  
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:05 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Aquadeep  wrote:                
Madan,

Osram  is  has  launched  the  8000K  lamps.  They  should  be  available  at  the  Metro  mid  this  month  &  soon  in  the  local  market.    Thumb Up  

Specs:
 T8
 36W

Harshal,  you  can  go  in  for  direct  replacements  &  keep  us  posted  on  the  observations.    Very Happy  

Ok  will  check  that  out.  Thanks.
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:14 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Can  anybody  throw  some  light    upon  following.

How  does  Lumens  per  gallon  compare  to  watts  per  gallon  rule?
 Does  3  watts  per  gallon  directly  correspond  to    X  lumens  per  gallon  ?
 Hope  my  question  is  clear  .

Thanks
 Rohan
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:25 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Lumens  depends  on  the  bulb  and  the  light  output.

Watts  is  the  power  consumption.

The  watts  per  gallon  rule  is  for  beginners  using  Fluorescent  lighting.  It  dates  back  to  the  days  when  this  is  what  was  used  for  aquaria.

With  MH,  HO  and  VHO  bulbs  neither  the  Lumens/gallon  nor  the  watt/gallon  thumb  rule  will  hold  true.
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:34 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Well..
 There  are  still  so  many  folks  using  fluoroscent  lights.  (  i  am  one  of  them  Smile  )
 I  am  confused  that  if  there  is  a  light  with  40  watts  and  lumen  output  say  2000  lumens  and  another  light  with  similar  wattage  and  2500  lumens  .
 Assuming  the  Color  temperature  of  both  are  same  (more  or  less)  ,
   does  it  matter  if  i  choose  either  one  ?  or  the  later  one  will  be  better  choice  ?

Lastly,
 Is  there  a  lumens  per  gallon  rule  for  fluroscent  light..For  the  dummies  !  Smile
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:39 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  .                                                  
Quote:                
Specs:  
 T8  
 36W  

Harshal,  you  can  go  in  for  direct  replacements  &  keep  us  posted  on  the  observations.    

Thats  great  news  man  i  am  definately  getting  that  lamp.

Deepak  as  soon  as  find  out  that  its  arrived  pls  call  me  or  sms  me  and  let  me  know.

Thanks.
           regards
                 Harshal.
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:47 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  rohan

Well  i  am  using  fluoroscent  lights  too.  I  have  definately  had  the  best  results  with  them.  Have  used  mh  and  plls  before  that.  Wellto  keep  things  simple  lumens  are  a  measure  of  visible  light.  That  means  more  the  lumens  the  brighter  your  tank  will  look  it  will  again  not  make  a  diffrence  in  plant  growth.  But  i'll  suggest  you  go  with  the  higher  lumens  tube  as  the  tank  will  have  a  better  look  appeal.

Regards
             Harshal.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:47 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

rohansd  wrote:                
Well..
 There  are  still  so  many  folks  using  fluoroscent  lights.  (  i  am  one  of  them  Smile  )
 I  am  confused  that  if  there  is  a  light  with  40  watts  and  lumen  output  say  2000  lumens  and  another  light  with  similar  wattage  and  2500  lumens  .
 Assuming  the  Color  temperature  of  both  are  same  (more  or  less)  ,
   does  it  matter  if  i  choose  either  one  ?  or  the  later  one  will  be  better  choice  ?

Lastly,
 Is  there  a  lumens  per  gallon  rule  for  fluroscent  light..For  the  dummies  !  Smile                

You  will  not  find  fluorescents  with  such  large  variation  of  lumens  output.  The  moment  that  happens  it  gets  upgraded  to  HO,  VHO  or  whatever.

Don't  fret  about  little  imaginary  things.

If  you  do  find  something  like  what  you  have  mentioned  let  me  know.
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:52 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hey  madan  

Quote:                
You  will  not  find  fluorescents  with  such  large  variation  of  lumens  output.  The  moment  that  happens  it  gets  upgraded  to  HO,  VHO  or  whatever.  

Don't  fret  about  little  imaginary  things.  

If  you  do  find  something  like  what  you  have  mentioned  let  me  know.                

Osram  makes  36w  t8  tubes  which  are  at  3250lm,  they  are  called  luminuxplus.  While  ordinary  t8  36w  tubes  i  think  are  at  2250  lm.

I  am  using  these  tubes  right  now.

Regards
             Harshal.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:39 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  too  use  Philips  trulites.    Hope  you  guys  know  the  specs  of  trulites.    I've  got  very  good  results  so  far.    Green  plants  are  green,  reds  are  red  and  all  are  growing.    The  height  of  water  column  is  only  15"  so  trulites  are  more  than  enough  even  for  myrios  and  rotalas  to  thrive.    Never  had  a  problem  so  far  with  it.    IMO,  if  your  tank  has  a  water  column  of  not  more  than  18"  deep,  trulites  will  be  more  than  enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
joyban

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:35 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

The  important  question  is  why  do  want  the  lights  ?

Is  it  to  render  the  right  colour  of  the  fishes  or  for  plants  to  grow  or  both.

CRI  is  Colour  Rendering  Index,  Higher  the  CRI  the    ore  closer  is  it  to  the  Colour  Rendering  Of  the  Sun,  so  higher  CRI  gives  the  true  colour  of  the  floura  &  fauna.  

Now  for  plant  growth  one  of  the  factors  is  light,  out  of  which  for  good  plant  growth  what  is  required  is  a  factor  called  PAR.  PAR  is  defined  as  photosynthetically  active  radiation  (PAR;  400–700  nm)  reaching  the
 aquatic  leaves  surface.  The  relative  growth  rate  and  net  carbon
 assimilation  rate  of  plants  depends  in  part  on  the  plantintercepted
 PAR  [termed  photosynthetic  photon  flux  density  (PPFD)]  and  the  pathway  the  plant  uses  to  assimilate  the  carbon.  This  carbon  assimilation  can  be  inhibited  and  plant  productivity  reduced  by  UV-B  (280–320  nm)  and
 UV-A(320–400  nm).  

Now  Different  Light  tempratures  have  different  Spectrun  Of  Light,  we  need  to  look  at  light  spectrum  between  400-700nm,  Chlorophyll  does  not  absorb  all  the  wavelengths  of  visible  light  equally.  Chlorophyll  a,  the  most  important  light-absorbing  pigment  in  plants,  does  not  absorb  light  in  the  green  part  of  the  spectrum.  Light  in  this  range  of  wavelengths  is  reflected.  This  is  the  reason  why  chlorophyll  is  green  and  also  why  plants  (which  contain  a  lot  of  chlorophyll)  are  also  green.The  absorption  of  light  by  chlorophyll  a  is  at  a  maximum  at  two  points  @  430  and  662  nm.  The  rate  of  photosynthesis  at  the  different  wavelengths  of  visible  light  has  two  peaks  which  roughly  correspond  to  the  absorption  peaks  of  chlorophyll  a  at  430nm  &  662nm.  

Please  also  read  

http://www.sylvania.com/content/display.scfx?id=003680197

PAR  Spectrum  &  Azoo  Super  Light

PAR  Spectrum  &  Philips  Aquarelle  TL-D  14W/89  1PP/12

PAR  Spectrum  &  Philips  Aquarelle  TL-D  14W/89  1PP/12

For  Visible  Spectrum  of  Light  refer  to  :-  http://www.brocku.ca/earthsciences/people/gfinn/optical/spectrum.gif

for  more  information  look  at  :-
 http://iah.in/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=21168&highlight=#21168

Regards

Sujoy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Lighting for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: