145. Guest
146. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - looking for ideas to improve...
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

looking for ideas to improve...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srinath
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:46 pm Post subject: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

Tank  spec  -  5"  x  2"  x  2"  is  attached  to  a  eheim  3  pro  2075.

The  hood  has  got  three  40  w  tube  lights,  these  are  rarely  turned  on  for  very  small  duration,  when  i  try  to  enjoy  my  tank.

This  tank  currently  hosts  around  30  assorted  cichlids.

What  do  you  think  of  this  tank  pl  share  your  suggestions  to  improve  it.

Most  of  these  rocks  are  collected  en-route  between  Bangalore  and  Murudeshwar.

Some  question  which  keep  cropping  up  in  my  head  -  
 >  Do  i  have  too  many  rocks?

>  Do  i  need  to  find  rounded  rocks  or  are  these  uneven  rocks  better?

>  Having  scanned  thru  gorgeous  pictures  posted  here  i  notice  most  of  them  have  a  black  background,  so  in  my  effort  to  beautify,  I  tried  to  put  on  a  black  background  but  it  makes  that  glass  pane  look  like  a  mirror.  how  to  avoid  it?
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:53 pm Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

Hi  Nice  setup  there.  IMO  you  need  more  rocks  at  the  background.  Since  the  rocks  are  of  different  color  and  arranged  arbitrarily,  it  is  catching  the  eye.  Set  up  more  hiding  places,  otherwise  it  looks  fine.  

Cheers,  

Karthik
shyamhegde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:46 pm Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

nice  attempt,  what  rocks  are  they  ?   You  may  want  to  create  some  variation,  like  a  mountain  at  some  point  in  tank  to  create  point  of  interest  in  the  scene,  it  is  bit  flat  now.

You  can  also  think  of  black  (or  grey  or  so..)  background  to  the  tank.

Why  don't  you  reduce  the  number  of  tube  lights  so  you  can  keep  the  lights  on  for  longer  hour  without  algae  type  of  concerns.

There  are  few  on  this  forum  who  have  mastered  spotlight  effect  where  you  see  rays  of  lights  that  fall  on  rocks  from  top  creating  some  cool  effect,  who  could  help  on  lighting  for  Cichlid  tanks.  .
Amazonian2010
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:06 pm Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

Black  back  ground  can  be  created  by  taping  a  black  chart  paper  as  well  in  that  way  you  may  not  get  the  glassy  image.
 I  did  for  my  tank  and  working  fine.  

Rest  as  Karthik  and  shyamhegde  say  so..reduce  the  light  as  that  gives  you  a  more  soothing  effect.
 make  more  hiding  space  for  them.

What  are  the  fishes  you  have  and  how  many  numbers  and  what  are  you  feeding  them?
 I  could  see  some  very  small  fishs  (white/offwhite  or  yellow)  and  some  are  big  blues.

Hope  you  have  not  any  mixed  bags  of  Cichilds  (means  African  vs  Central  American  etc)
shri-novice
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:37 pm Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

Good  keep  up  :thumb:

First  attempt  with  cichlid  setup?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:48 pm Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

Good  start  Srinath.  Your  tank  size  is  good.  But  your  rock  setup  looks  bit  artificial.

Try  to  bring  the  natural  look.  You  can  check  thread  of  Sumer's  Tanganyika  one.
coolbin81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:12 pm Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

You  can  go  for  a  black  background  as  has  been  already  discussed.  In  my  view,  you  can  stack  additional  rocks  on  top  of  one  another  to  increase  additional  hiding  places  as  well  as  to  give  a  bigger  feel  to  overall  landscape.  Try  to  follow  golden  ratio  rule  of  rockscaping  if  you  can  (google  it  if  required).

Most  importantly,  i  can  spot  of  potentially  explosive  mix  of  fishes  in  your  tank.  I  spotted  a  red  zebra  along  with  variety  of  haps/peacocks.  I  would  suggest  you  take  out  your  orange  mbuna/red  zebra  cichlid  before  it  grows  too  big  and  eliminates  the  beautiful  peacocks.  Please  read  about  the  compatibility  of  Lake  Malawi  fishes  available  on  the  web.  It  would  save  you  from  a  lot  of  headache  in  the  future.
srinath
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:10 pm Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

Thank  you  for  the  replies...

@Karthik  -  Rocks  towards  the  background  -  my  concern  was  since  these  cichlids  keep  digging  it  could  cause  the  rocks  to  slide  scratch  the  glass  and  put  strain  on  glass,  that  is  is  why  i  had  placed  all  the  rocks  at  a  safe  distance  from  glass  pane.  any  suggestion  to  overcome  this  problem?

@shyamhegde  -  mountain  ahh  -  will  try  to  work  on  it

@Amazonian2010  -  I  have  tried  black  chart  paper  route  and  it  caused  mirror  effect,  will  try  to  post  a  few  snaps  just  that  i  need  to  get  dressed  up  properly  for  that  Wink  

One  thing  i  have  seen  with  cichlids  is  that  the  same  fish  is  called  by  different  names.  So  instead  of  trying  to  give  my  version  of  names,  i   post  snaps  of  the  fish  i  have.

5  of  these

2  of  these

5  of  these

5  of  these

3  of  these

3  of  these

Some  of  these  cichlid  delivered  offspring,  after  keeping  the  fry  in  a  different  tank  for  2  months  i  have  moved  them  back  to  the  main  tank.  currently  there  are  around  10  small  ones  (~1.5  inch  in  size)  pinkish  orange  in  colour.

Yes  i  did  the  mistake  of  mixing  cichlids  from  different  regions  but  now  i  have  separated  them  out

have  5  of  these  

also  i  have  7  of  these  which  have  grown  in  size  and  started  to  bully  other  fish  in  the  main  tank

The  above  two  are  in  a  separate  tank  now.

I  feed  the  fish  in  main  tank  3  times  a  day  a  mix  of

Ocean  Nutrition  vegi  pellets  -  30%
 Hikari  Cichlid  Cichlid  Bio-Gold+  -  15%
 Hikari  Cichlid  Cichlid  Excel  -  55%

@shri-novice  -  Yes  its  my  first  attempt  at  any  tank,  had  this  wish  to  own  a  fish  tank  for  a  very  very  very  long  time,  got  this  tank  around  6  months  back.

@abhis9  -  make  it  natural  -  pl  suggest  changes  that  can  make  it  natural.  Yes  i  have  gone  thru  Sumer's  Tanganyika  and  i  agree  my  tank  is  no  way  comparable  to  his  effort.  i  am  still  very  much  a  novice  trying  to  learn  fish  keeping,  i  hope  i  will  eventually  get  there...

@all  -  Set   up   more   hiding   places  -  i  understand  them  as  the  gaps  between  the  rocks,  well  this  arrangement  has  been  on  for  over  2  weeks  now  and  rarely  have  i  seen  the  fish  staying  in  any  of  holes  i  created,  infact  i  had  a  few  coconut  shells  in  there  as  well  but  never  the  fish  enters  them.  It  seems  like  these  fish  finds  pleasure  in  creating  its  own  caves  by  digging  under  the  rocks.  

Dont  get  me  wrong  i  am  trying  to  take  every  idea  on-board,  just  trying  to  understand  what  needs  to  be  done  to  implement  them.
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:21 pm Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

Srinath  they're  not  powerful  enough  to  move  the  rocks  don't  worry.  Smile   as  many  have  suggested  create  more  hiding  places  as  they  feel  secure  in  them  and  there  would  be  less  chasing  around  that  way.  
 Cheers,  

Karthik
Agnelo
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:07 pm Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

Hello  Srinath!

You  can  go  through  the  following  link  for  information  on  how  to  make  your  aquarium  look  more  natural

http://fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main/how-to-hardscape-your-aquarium

http://fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main/set-up-and-aquascape-a-cichlid-habitat

The  black  chart  paper  works  good  when  the  lights  are  on.  With  the  lights  off  there  will  be  more  reflection.  Reflection  will  always  be  there  if  you  opt  for  dark  colored  backgrounds.  One  problem  with  the  chart  paper  is  that  when  water  spills  over  it  ,  it  would  leave  stains  on  the  paper  and  will  look  bad.  You  can  try   black  vinyl  sheets.  Opt  for  vinyl  sheet  only  if  don't  want  to  change  it  in  near  future.  It  might  leave  adhesive  marks  on  the  glass.

It  is  not  good  to  place  rocks  on  top  of  sand  since  these  fish  keeps  digging  a  lot  and  there  are  chances  that  the  rocks  may  topple  over.  Instead  keep  some  plastic  mesh  or  thermocol  at  the  bottom  and  let  the  rocks  rest  over  it.

One  more  thing  I  would  like  to  suggest  is  that  you  can  use  a  wavemaker  of  about  5000lph  that  will  help  to  remove  any  dead  spots  and  will  help  to  remove  the  waste  from  the  sand.

Well  there  are  lot  of  experts  who  have  been  into  this  hobby  for  a  long  time  who  can  suggest  better  ideas  than  me.

Regards
 Agnelo
Amazonian2010
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:47 am Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

Paper  is  only  10rs  a  sheet  and  you  can  replace  it  when  it  has  water  marks  on  it  but  black  Vinyl  will  leave  certain  marks  on  the  glass  as  Angelo  rightly  said.  U  may  try  to  wipe  it  with  Petrol  to  get  rid  of  those  marks.

@Angelo,  i  have  a  q  for  you.  Do  u  suggest  to  place  a  thermocol  in  the  tank  n  then  spread  the  sand  n  stones  on  top  it  ?  will  it  not  spoiled  if  submerged  in  water?  please  correct  me  if  I  am  wrong.

Thanks  and  looks  like  LFS  took  you  for  a  ride  for  selecting  fishes.  Are  those  your  choice  or  LFS  suggested?
Agnelo
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:56 pm Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

@Amazonian2010

The  thermocol  wont  get  spoiled.  In  fact  you  get  those  plastic  kind  of  thermocol  (  the  ones  that  are  there  in  electronic  items  packing).

Regards
 Agnelo
srinath
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:28 pm Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

@Karthik  -  they're  not  powerful  enough  to  move  the  rocks  don't  worry-   Chuckle  -  my  concern  was  my  rocks  are  not  planted  onto  the  bottom  and  they  are  all  standing  firm  because  of  sand  around  them.  for  example  if  you  notice  on  first  image  the  right  most  stone,  you  would  observe  sand  around  it  has  been  moved  by  fish;  within  a  few  days  this  stone  starts  to  slide.

@Amazonian2010  -  yes  it  was  10/-  rs  that  was  the  driving  force  for  me  to  try  chart  paper,  when  it  caused  mirror  effect  i  thought  my  cost  effective  option  let  me  down,  so  wanted  to  check  how  others  avoid  mirror  effect.  
 Do  I  have  a  wrong  combo  in  my  tank.  I  thought  it  was  just  the  convicts  (7th  on  my  fish  list)  which  was  out  of  place.  rest  of  them  seems  to  be  form  the  same  region.
 I  dont  think  i  can  blame  LFS  guy  because  my  ignorance  is  money  for  him.

@Agnelo  -  thanks  for  sharing  me  those  links,  I  like  the  way  the  author  has  narrated,  best  part   

If  you  have  placed  your  stones  properly  in  your  hardscape,  the  rest  of  the  scape,  as  if  by  magic,  will  lay  itself  out  for  you.   You  will  know  it  the  second  this  happens  for  you.  It  is  as  if  the  moment  you  attain  a  harmony  and  balance  in  your  placement,  everything  else  is  drawn  to  and  wants  to  become  part  of  that  balance.  

In  my  case  fun  is  not  coming...

Will  look  for  those  thermocol  to  avoid  sliding  rocks.
srinath
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:04 pm Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

My  second  attempt  with  a  better  camera

different  angle

do  share  your  suggestions...
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:11 pm Post subject: Re: looking for ideas to improve... Reply with quote

Hi.  Very  clear  water  and  neat  setup.  Can  I  suggest  you  to  add   more  rocks?  It  would  look  stunning  IMO.  Smile  
 Cheers,

Karthik
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: