57. Guest
58. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,880

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Rescaped!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Rescaped!
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shyamhegde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:57 pm Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-2. Reply with quote

Good  going  Nidhi..   how  many  hours  lighting  it  is  on  ?  So,  plan  is  to  go  for  LEDs  ?
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:44 am Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-2. Reply with quote

Thanks  Shyam..
 Lighting  period  is  1pm  -  9pm..  total  8hrs.
 LED's  will  take  some  time..  so  for  the  time  being  will  be  doing  another  PLL  or  T5  hood..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:08 am Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-5 update. Reply with quote

I  have  re-arranged  the  ferns  as  per  the  suggestions  received  and  still  waiting  for  the  fore  ground  plants  and  the  driftwood..
 Had  to  wait  for  a  couple  of  days  for  the  cloudy  water  to  clear  out  after  the  shuffling  of  the  plants..  I  have  brushed  off  the  dust  settled  on  the  rocks  as  well..
 Hope  it  is  significantly  better  than  earlier..
 Started  Co2  dosing  at  1bps  which  will  be  on  for  24X7...

Last edited by Nidhi on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:17 am Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-5. Reply with quote

Wow.  Awesome.   Clapping   Clapping  

Cheers,

Karthik
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:39 am Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-5. Reply with quote

Great  going  boss  Clapping  now  place  the  second  rock  from  left  vertically,  the  third  rock  can  be   moved  a  little   more  towards  the  right.  after  the  growth  takes  over  it  will  look  some  what  nearer  to  iwagumi.  Smile  

overall  its  a  good  scape
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:43 pm Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-5. Reply with quote

Nice  start  Nidhi.
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:19 pm Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-5. Reply with quote

Thank  you  Karthick..

Garothmaan..  I  will  have  to  wait  till  I  get  those  drifts  before  disturbing  the  rocks..

Thanks  Abhi..
Thuds
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:30 pm Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-5. Reply with quote

Great  Going  Nidhi,  I  am  sure  it  will  mature  in  to  a  great  scape.

Thuds
mats
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:54 am Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-5. Reply with quote

The  scape  is  looking  great  now.
 Like  it.
 How  hv  u  planted  the  java  ferns  Nidhi.  Are  they  in  the  soil  or  on  a  piece  of  rock/driftwood.  
 Regards
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:11 am Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-5. Reply with quote

Thanks  Thuds..  Smile  

Thanks  mats..  I  have  divided  them  in  to  medium  sized  bunches  and  tied  each  bunch  on  to  small  rocks,  and  have  just  placed  them  on  the  main  rocks  and  soil.
mats
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:30 am Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-5. Reply with quote

Nidhi,
 Please  correct  me  if  I  am  wrong,  you  have  used  Ada  soil.  Is  Ada  really  needed  for  growing  java  ferns  ?
 These  plants  are  going  to  collect  most  of  the  nutrients  from  the  water  rather  than  the  soil  and  even  when  the  roots  do  penetrate  the  soil   do  they  really  need   Ada  type  of  soil  ?
 Again  for  the   Bolbitis,  is  not  Ada  a  waste?  Please  correct  me  if  I  am  wrong.  
 On  the  overall  I  still  like  the  tank.  Low  maintenance,  hardy,  long  life.

Regards
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:58 am Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-5. Reply with quote

Hey  mats..  
 Yes,  you  don't  need  ADA  aquasoil  for  the  ferns.  But  the  marsilea  in  the  foreground  will  be  needing  it,  and  I  don't  want  to  use  two  kinds  of  substrates  by  doing  partition.  Because  I  keep  on  tweaking  the  scape  and  chances  are  they  will  eventually  mix-up..
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:36 am Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-5. Reply with quote

mats  wrote  (View  Post):                
Nidhi,
 Please  correct  me  if  I  am  wrong,  you  have  used  Ada  soil.  Is  Ada  really  needed  for  growing  java  ferns  ?
 These  plants  are  going  to  collect  most  of  the  nutrients  from  the  water  rather  than  the  soil  and  even  when  the  roots  do  penetrate  the  soil   do  they  really  need   Ada  type  of  soil  ?
 Again  for  the   Bolbitis,  is  not  Ada  a  waste?  Please  correct  me  if  I  am  wrong.  
 On  the  overall  I  still  like  the  tank.  Low  maintenance,  hardy,  long  life.

Regards                

Mats,  plants  like  java  fern  and  anubias  wont  need  volcanic  origin  soil,  but  it  helps.  I've  seen  anubias  digging  into  the  substrate  when  tied  on  a  rock  and  placed  on  it.  

Nidhi  Sir:  Awaiting  updates  Smile  Smile  

Cheers,  

Karthik
ShankarB
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:10 am Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-5. Reply with quote

Nidhi,  the  scape  is  shaping  very  well.   I  think  you  can  still  do  the  following:

1)  I  feel  the  ferns  are  still  spread  out.   You  can  bunch  them  even  more  tightly  and  create  open  spaces  on  the  sides.   

2)  Increase  the  height  in  the  center.   Since  these  are  ferns  which  can  be  perched  on  rocks,  you  can  easily  create  a  much  taller  center  without  the  risk  of  the  substrate  sliding  down  (i.e.  place  rocks  one  over  the  other  to  create  the  height  instead  of  piling  up  the  substrate.   Or  you  can  use  thermocol  to  increase  the  height  without  adding  weight).

3)  I  think  the  bolbitus  are  placed  on  the  sides.   One  thing  is  that  it's  creating  a  symmetry  which  I  think  is  artificial.   Secondly,  they're  such  beautiful  plants  and  placing  them  in  the  sides  do  not  do  them  justice.   Instead  you  could  group  them  and  make  them  the  centerpiece  of  your  landscape.

IMO,  given  the  amount  of  ferns  in  your  tank,  I  think  you  should  attempt  something  like  this  one:  http://www.aquaticquotient.com/gallery/files/5/8/3/9/AquaobsessionJavaHill.jpg
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:39 am Post subject: Re: NIDHI's Fern Tank Journal.. Day-5. Reply with quote

Shankar,  The  old  leaves  of  the  Boltitis  are  too  long,  I  am  just  waiting  for  newer  leaves  to  sprout  (hoping  they  will  be  shorter)  so  that  I  can  trim  the  old  ones  and  will  place  them  as  you  told.
 And,  I  do  have  smaller  ones  in  between  the  needles,  but  they  are  too  small  to  be  seen.
 Yes,  I  have  seen  that  tank  while  researching  on  the  google  for  inspiration..  and  thanks  for  your  effort.  Thumb Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: