181. Guest
182. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,714

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Bucephlandra sp.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Bucephlandra sp.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:22 pm Post subject: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

I  just  got  myself  16  varieties  of  Bucephlandra  with  names  like
 sabah
 pink  lady
 red  shoot
 Narcissus  II
 Light  Blue
 Royal  Blue
 and  many  more  with  6  being  newly  collected  in  the  wild  and  nobody  got  around  to  thinking  up  a  fancy  name  for  them  !

Does  anyone  have  any  first  hand  experience  in  keeping  the  Bucephlandra  sp.  -  Any  Variety,  please  share.  Otherwise  I'll  have  to  start  on  the  road  to  discovery  by  myself.

I  know  CO2  and  light,  keep  the  rhizome  off  the  substrate  etc.,  part  of  keeping  these  plants.

Any  other  tips  of  the  trade  ?

No  PMs  about  price,  place  and  means  of  getting  these  plants  please  !  Chuckle  That  should  be  obvious.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:18 am Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

Nobody  !   Sad   Surprised
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:04 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

Good  CO2,  as  much  as  a  high  light  tank,  low-med  lighting  and  good  flow.  Tie  to  rocks  or  driftwood.  Treat  them  like  anubias  species  but  with  higher  CO2  requirements.  Liquid  ferts  are  a  must.  1/3rd  EI  dose  for  the  equivalent  tank  size  should  be  plenty
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:23 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

What  about  keeping  them  with  other  plants  ?
 Do  they  loose  out  ?

Where  do  these  names  come  from  -  skeleton  king  !  Very Happy
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

Part  of  the  contributing  factor  to  the  hefty  price  tag  are  those  exotic  names  I  believe  Very Happy  

Not  much  experience  here,  I  had  a  few  rhisomes  from  sometime,  the  names  I  dont  remember  apart  from  sedakau  which  happens  to  be  the  most  common  variety.

Initially  I  had  them  for  8months  in  my  non-co2(dosed  with  gluteraldehyde),  extremely  low  light  tank.  They  melted  initially  and  stayed  dormant  for  2months  or  so  and  after  that  grew  a  few  leaves,  approximately  a  leaf  per  month.
 A  month  ago  I  shifted  them  to  a  decently  lit,  co2  setup.  Again  they  seized  to  grow  in  new  conditions.

Its  obvious  that  once  subjected  to  new  conditions  they  go  dormant  and  take  considerable  time  to  settle  in.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:32 am Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

They  dont  really  lose  out  if  kept  in  a  tank  with  other  plants.  In  fact  a  shady  section  of  a  high  tech  tank  is  ideal  for  them  if  there  is  decent  flow  in  the  area  and  isnt  a  dead  spot.
Seetharam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:12 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

Hi  Madan  ....  Long  Time  ...Hope  you  are  doing  well   Smile  

Tom  Barr  has  a  Bucephlandra  Tank  setup,  Below  is  the  link  which  may  be  helpful  ....  maybe  you  could  setup  something  similar  as  a  Bucephlandra  sp  only  tank.  

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=393633
tcg170980
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:03 am Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

they  are  expensive  mainly  because  they  are  available  in  asia.

price  has  dropped  a  lot  since  the  craze  started.   fairly  easy  plants  once  converted  to  submerse.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:29 am Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

Hey  Sitaram,

Not  enough  for  a  Buce  only  tank.  Too  many  $$$$  even  if  it  was  available.
 Kids  were  abroad  for  a  week,  a  friend  there  helped  them  get  all  this,  and  with  the  packaging.
 The  local  influence  got  me  the  6  varieties  that  have  not  even  been  given  a  fancy  name.
 Practically  emptied  the  feller's  stock.

I  have  got  small  twigs,  that's  all.  Nothing  much  to  go  with.  
 In  case  these  work  out  then  hopefully  in  a  years  time  I'll  have  
 a  bit  to  work  with.

Worst  part,  tank  not  ready  !  They  are  in  a  tub  in  the  bathroom.
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:34 am Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

Madan,

Give  it  to  me..  I  have  a  well  settled  tank...   Wink   Wink
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:19 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

Hi  Madan

Heres  and  article  out  of  a  Facebook  group  by  Tomasz

https://www.facebook.com/groups/455190421215097/

Tomasz  Wastowski
 July  8,  2013  ·  Edited
 I  would  like  to  present  my  article  about  one  of  the  most  magnificent  plants  found  in  aquariums.  Article  was  prepared  for  one  of  polish  magazine,  and  translated  to  english.  I  would  also  like  to  thank  Philip  Rody  and  Alan  McCormick  for  help  in  translating  the  article.
 -----------------------------------
 Based  on  their  appearance,  Bucephalandras  are  similar  to  Anubias  and  Cryptocoryne  species.  When  they  were  first  introduced  to  the  aquarium  hobby,  they  were  compared  to  Cryptocoryne  species  because  of  their  narrow  and  usually  olive-colored  leaves.  However,  their  creeping  rhizomes  and  prehensile  roots  fit  the  characteristics  of  Anubias  more  closely.  Bucephalandra  is  a  wonderful  and  still  relatively  hard-to-find  genus  of  plants  that  captivate  many  aquarists  across  the  world  thanks  to  their  majestic  appearance.
 http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8190/8128896930_2c27928c77_b.jpg

ENVIRONMENT
 Wetland  plants  from  the  Araceae  family,  such  as  Bucephalandras,  are  adapted  to  life  in  rivers  with  fast-moving  currents.  Although  they  are  a  relatively  new  genus  of  plants  to  aquarists,  they  have  been  known  to  the  scientific  world  since  1858.
 There  are  two  sources  of  the  origin  of  the  Bucephalandra's  name.  First  more  reliable  source,  refers  to  the  three  Greek  words:  bous  (bull  or  cow),  cephalê  (head),  and  anêr,  andros  (man),  from  the  shape  of  the  male  staminate  flowers  resembles  the  head  of  bull.  
 According  to  the  second  source  the  genus  name  Bucephalandra  refers  to  the  name  of  the  black  horse  of  Alexander—Bucephalus  (in  Greek  "bous"  +  "cephalê",  ??????????,  Bukefalos)  means  "bull"  and  "head".  Alexander's  horse  had  this  name  because  he  had  a  birthmark  on  his  shoulder  in  the  shape  of  a  bull's  head.

All  Bucephalandras  are  endemic,  which  means  that  they  can  only  be  found  in  certain  isolated  areas,  usually  in  the  form  of  islands.  These  plants  can  be  found  on  the  largest  island  of  the  Malay  Archipelago,  known  as  Borneo.  To  this  day,  new  varieties  of  Bucephalandra  are  continuously  being  discovered  that  have  not  been  yet  describe  in  botany  textbooks.
 Bucephalandras  are  found  in  rivers  and  streams,  and  sometimes  on  the  banks  of  rivers.  Borneo  has  a  tropical  climate,  which  means  that  there  is  the  same  climate  year-round  with  average  annual  temperatures  exceeding  20  degrees  Celsius.  Despite  the  consistent  climate  in  some  areas  on  the  island,  Borneo  still  has  two  seasons  that  are  determined  by  the  amount  of  rainfall.  During  the  rainy  season  when  the  river  level  rises,  Bucephalandra  plants  growing  out  of  water  are  submerged  under  water  for  a  few  months.  However,  this  does  not  prevent  them  from  continuing  to  grow  and  they  can  easily  transform  into  their  submerged  forms.  The  main  differences  between  submersed  and  emersed  forms  are  that  when  they  are  grown  under  water,  they  have  a  more  delicate  leaf  structure  and  they  exhibit  more  intense  coloration.

GROWING  CONDITIONS
 In  aquariums,  Bucephalandras  can  be  grown  on  wood,  roots  of  trees,  and  coconuts,  but  from  my  several  years  of  observation  I  can  say  that  the  root  systems  of  these  plants  are  better  developed  on  hard  surfaces,  such  as  various  types  of  rocks.  The  roots  have  the  ability  to  firmly  attach  to  hard  surfaces,  even  if  they  are  slippery.  Sometimes  it  is  even  necessary  to  use  a  knife  to  remove  the  plant  from  the  surface  that  it  is  attached  to,  because  the  roots  of  the  plant  have  grasped  the  surface  so  tightly.
 There  is  evidence  that  in  times  of  stress  associated  with  environmental  changes  (such  as  changes  in  light  and  water  chemistry),  Bucephalandras  may  lose  some  of  their  leaves.  This  similarly  happens  in  Cryptocoryne  species  (which  is  often  referred  to  as  “Cryptocoryne  disease”).  In  my  tanks,  the  sudden  changes  in  fertilization  or  an  algae  plague  are  usually  responsible  for  the  loss  of  leaves.  However,  this  process  is  gradual  and  there  is  rarely  a  situation  in  which  the  plant  looses  all  of  its  leaves  quickly,  so  it  is  often  possible  for  the  aquarist  to  treat  the  problem  before  all  of  the  leaves  have  fallen.  Even  without  leaves,  if  the  rhizome  and  roots  are  firm  and  healthy,  the  plant  is  still  alive  and  will  usually  recover  over  time.  From  my  experience,  I  have  found  that  completely  dimming  the  light  and  increasing  the  amount  of  dissolved  oxygen  in  the  water,  at  the  time  of  the  darkness,  can  help  the  plant  recover  quickly.  Even  on  darkness,  but  well-oxygenated  water  Bucephalandras  can  continue  to  grow  and  will  still  produce  new  leaves,  but  the  color  of  the  plant  is  usually  not  as  eye-catching.
 Helpful  is  also  partially  bury  plant  into  the  fertilizer  substrate.  When  the  plant  will  bigger  and  root  system  stronger  then  you  can  attach  it  back  to  stones  or  pieces  of  wood.  This  is  also  good  way  to  strengthening  a  small  and  weak  pieces  of  Bucephalandra.
 To  ensure  good  coloration,  stronger  lighting  is  required  (0.5W  per  litter  or  more),  and  additional  fertilizing  through  the  water  column  is  beneficial.  Even  small  amounts  of  CO2  and  fertilizer  can  help  the  plant  display  attractive  colors.  In  my  aquarium,  I  follow  the  Estimative  Index  fertilization  method,  which  allows  the  plants  to  have  a  large  amount  of  fertilizers  in  the  water  column  to  utilize.  I  have  noticed  that  certain  fertilizers  can  help  improve  the  color  of  the  leaves.  Additionally,  through  my  exchanging  of  plants  with  many  aquarists  who  have  “low-tech”  aquariums,  I  have  noticed  that  the  leaves  of  the  plants  grown  in  such  conditions  are  not  as  colorful  because  there  is  less  light  and  not  as  many  fertilizers  for  the  plants  to  use.

The  evolution  of  color  in  Bucephalandra  ‘Brownie  Brown’:
 Green  leaves  are  prevalent  when  grown  in  emersed  conditions  (on  land).  The  green  leaves  near  the  bottom  of  the  stem  still  remain  from  when  the  plant  was  grown  out  of  water,  while  the  new  darker  leaves  near  the  tip  are  a  result  of  having  been  grown  under  water  in  my  aquarium:
 http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7062/6929544549_d275384477_b.jpg
 Over  time,  the  leaves  continue  to  darken:
 http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8160/7446132468_6f6ce2d695_b.jpg
 Eventually,  they  will  exhibit  a  dark  blue  color:
 http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8473/8097710226_804b7f92bf_b.jpg
 The  photo  below  shows  the  coloration  of  leaves  of  Bucephalandra  ‘Saiyan-1  Black’  when  grown  under  water:
 http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7275/7687254608_398c5afc2b_b.jpg

Bucephalandras  can  also  be  grown  in  paludariums,  but  the  coloration  of  the  leaves  tends  to  be  weaker,  and  the  leaves  tend  to  be  less  elastic  as  well.  They  must  be  provided  with  high  humidity  in  order  to  thrive  in  such  environments,  otherwise  the  leaves  can  dry  out.  The  parameters  of  water  that  Bucephalandras  can  tolerate  are  as  follows:  pH  range  of  5-8,  almost  any  GH  and  KH,  and  a  temperature  between  22-28  degrees  Celsius.  At  the  beginning  of  my  adventure  with  Bucephalandras,  I  heard  that  they  cannot  tolerate  temperatures  higher  than  28  degrees  Celsius  because  it  could  cause  the  leaves  to  melt.  However,  I  have  yet  to  see  this  happen  with  my  plants,  especially  when  the  water  temperature  rose  to  32  degrees  Celsius  and  I  did  not  notice  any  negative  side  effects.
 It  should  be  noted  that  due  to  the  fact  that  Bucephalandras  are  a  type  of  rheotype  (plants  that  like  swift-flowing  currents),  we  need  to  provide  similar  conditions  in  our  aquariums  in  order  to  achieve  the  best  results  with  these  plants.  Such  currents  can  be  achieved  by  using  an  internal  filter,  or  the  plants  can  be  moved  near  a  filter  outlet.  The  leaves  of  Bucephalandra  are  flexible  because  of  the  aquatic  environment  in  which  they  are  found.
 For  Bucephalandras,  I  have  found  that  the  growth  rate  is  dependent  on  the  variety.  Some  varieties  can  produce  2  leaves  per  week  if  they  are  in  optimal  conditions,  while  others  will  produce  only  1  leaf  every  2  weeks.  Generally  it  is  said  that  they  are  slow-growing  plants,  but  if  you  provide  them  with  strong  light,  fertilization,  and  plenty  of  CO2,  you  will  achieve  the  fastest  growth  possible.
 Flowing  begins  mainly  under  water.  It’s  hard  to  tell  what  factors  cause  the  plant  to  produce  a  flower.  Flowering  of  Anubias  species  is  often  accompanied  by  deteriorating  environmental  conditions  and  is  regarded  as  a  form  of  survival  for  the  plant.  However,  Bucephalandras  can  flower  when  they  have  access  to  an  ample  supply  of  nutrients,  and  are  in  ideal  conditions.  They  can  even  produce  more  than  one  flower  at  a  time  (photo  below).
 http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8004/7446129978_29fee14f64_o.jpg
 http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8204/8191391394_f93eaec714_o.jpg
 http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7194/6903235547_004dc100a0_o.jpg

Because  Bucephalandras  grow  so  slowly,  green  spot  algae  is  a  common  problem,  which  may  limit  access  to  light  and  also  slow  down  the  growth  rate  of  the  plant.  However,  they  are  quite  hardy  and  most  algae  types  can  be  removed  by  using  a  10-20  minute  bath  in  a  solution  of  citric  acid  (one  teaspoon  of  citric  acid  to  1.5  cups  of  water).  This  mixture  is  too  weak  to  damage  the  leaves  of  Bucephalandras,  but  it  is  strong  enough  to  kill  the  algae.
 A  better  way  is  to  make  a  solution  of  liquid  carbon  (glutaraldehyde,  under  the  brand  name  CIDEX,  commonly  used  to  disinfect  surgical  tools.)  To  500ml  of  water,  add  4  ml  of  glutaraldehyde,  and  bathe  your  algae  covered  plants,  stones  or  mosses  for  5  to  10  minutes.  This  is  a  better  way  to  kill  the  algae  because  it’s  safer  for  delicate  mosses  and  liverworts  and  can  kill  more  types  of  algae.
 To  kill  the  green  spot  algae  you  can  spray  the  leaves  with  peroxide  (3%).

NAMING:
 Currently,  only  three  species  are  described  in  plant  textbooks:  Bucephalandra  gigantea,  Bucepholandra  magnifolia,  Bucepholandra  motoleyana.  However,  one  can  encounter  more  than  200  variations  of  trade  names,  and  many  of  these  may  be  new  species  that  have  yet  to  be  described.  Because  many  species  names  are  currently  unknown  to  science,  the  trade  names  are  created  based  on  the  names  of  regions,  rivers,  or  states  where  they  were  collected  (e.g.  Kedagang,  Kualakuayan,  Tapah,  Sabah,  Kalimantan,  Sintang).  The  names  are  also  created  according  to  the  coloration  and  shape  of  the  leaves  (e.g.  Brownie  Brown,  Red  Gaia,  Super  Blue).  An  interesting  example  of  the  names  of  these  plants  is  Brownie  Ghost,  which  appeared  only  once  in  a  certain  area  and  then  disappeared.
 In  the  aquarium  hobby,  Bucephalandras  appeared  as  recently  as  2005-2006  and  immediately  became  popular.  The  plants  are  very  expensive,  but  over  time  they  will  become  more  affordable.

APPEARANCE:
 What  makes  Bucephalandras  so  interesting  is  their  very  appealing  leaf  shapes.  There  are  a  variety  of  leaf  shapes  that  are  similar  to  the  leaves  of  cherry  and  apple  trees.  The  leaves  may  be  oval  with  flat  edge,  oval  with  wavy  edge,  long  and  straight,  long  and  wavy,  or  even  almond  shaped  or  like  a  drop  of  water.
 The  colors  of  the  stems  are  mainly  pink  or  red,  but  the  leaves  can  be  multi-colored.  Depending  on  the  species,  some  leaves  can  have  almost  all  colors  of  the  rainbow.  There  are  many  varieties,  where  there  appears  to  be  a  "blue  gloss"  on  the  leaves.  This  characteristic  is  interesting  because  the  gloss  is  only  visible  when  you  look  at  it  at  certain  angles.  In  some  varieties,  we  can  also  see  other  colors  similar  to  a  bright  green  gloss,  or  the  color  of  copper  or  reddish  hues.  There  are  relatively  few  varieties  which  are  typically  green  (e.g.  Shine  Green,  Treasure,  2011),  and  the  most  attractive  are  the  variety  of  dark  navy  blue  leaves  (e.g.  Brownie  Brown,  Kedagang,  Black  Centipede,  Black  Leaf,  Central  Kali).
 Examples  of  different  leaf  shapes:
 http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8159/7446130464_e2c8b07b4b_o.jpg
 http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7040/6903226441_e73961205f_o.jpg
 http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7172/6816603241_aaa7891b91_o.jpg
 http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7036/7051269505_4999035321_o.jpg

Bucephalandras  are  typically  a  small  plant.  Many  of  them  only  grow  up  to  3-5  cm.  But  there  are  also  many  that  grow  larger  (8-15  cm)  and  even  larger  variations  growing  up  to  about  25  cm  in  height  have  been  found.
 Comparative  photos  of  several  varieties  on  hand:
 http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7249/8164677651_83d1a0ccdd_o.jpg
 http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8341/8164740975_2343cc095e_o.jpg
 http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8206/8191443140_9a6317de4d_o.jpg
 http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8366/8436840738_35d28f9594_o.jpg

A  distinctive  and  recognizable  feature  of  all  Bucephalandra  are  bright  spots  on  the  leaves,  mistakenly  recognized  by  many  aquarists  as  air  bubbles  resulting  from  the  process  of  photosynthesis.  These  spots  are  found  in  most  varieties  of  Araceae  plants  (photo  below  shows  other  araceae's  plant:  Schismatoglottis).  Depending  on  the  variety,  the  arrangement  of  dots  may  be  more  or  less  intense.  Similar  spots  can  also  be  seen  on  Anubias,  but  they  are  not  as  noticeable.  On  emersed  forms  of  Bucephalandra,  the  spots  are  less  visible,  with  their  intensity  increasing  when  the  plant  is  submerged.
 Photographic  examples  of  varieties  where  spots  are  the  most  exposed:
 http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8200/8204649457_2db9c9f43c_o.jpg
 http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7140/7881917606_636dc5d0ca_o.jpg
 http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2836/11071470974_7bf012f5c2_b.jpg

Unfortunately,  Bucephalandras  are  slowly  disappearing  from  the  environment,  mainly  due  to  exploitation  and  deforestation  on  the  island  of  Borneo.  Many  varieties  are  becoming  harder  to  find,  and  some  now  only  exist  in  captivity.  While  this  is  sad  news,  it  is  also  comforting  to  know  that  the  collecting  of  these  plants  can  be  beneficial  to  their  long-term  survival  as  many  parts  of  Borneo  are  facing  wide-scale  deforestation.  We  can  only  hope  that  in  the  future,  Borneo  will  face  fewer  environmental  threats  which  in  turn  will  help  protect  these  beautiful  plants
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:40 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

Hi  Madan

Heres  a  very  informative  article  out  of  a  Facebook  group  by  Tomasz  Wastowski
 July  8,  2013  ·  Edited

https://www.facebook.com/groups/455190421215097/permalink/530189520381853/

You  can  join  the  group  here  too
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/455190421215097/
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:43 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

Apologies  for  those  3  posts,  I  kept  getting  an  error  on  unacceptable  characters  and  unicodes  

Mods  can  you  please  delete  and  keep  the  best  one  

Thanks
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:51 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

josyjames  wrote  (View  Post):                
Madan,
 Give  it  to  me..  I  have  a  well  settled  tank...   Wink   Wink                

I  shall  not  contaminate  the  Bucephlandra  in  a  well  settled  tank  !
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:54 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephlandra sp. Reply with quote

Thanks  Pio.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: