43. Guest
44. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,374

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Need help regarding the bottom waste removal
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Need help regarding the bottom waste removal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Filtration Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best way to remove bottom waste
Use Wavemaker to move them towards Inlet
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Use Powerhead to move them towards Inlet
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Other (Please specify)
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

karthickRAJA
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:45 pm Post subject: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

Hi  All,
 I  recently  bought  an  Sun  sun  303b  filter  for  my  4(l)*2(w)*2.25(h)  setup.  Now,  there  is  a  thick  layer  of  waste  getting  deposited  at  the  bottom  even  within  3  days  of  WC.  I  tried  removing  the  jet  outlet  and  direct  the  water  straight  into  the  tank  still  the  bottom  waste  was  not  getting  cleared.  Hence,  Kindly  advice  on  any  other  way  to  move  the  waste  towards  the  other  side  where  the  inlet  resides.

I  am  thinking  about  wavemakers  or  powerheads  still  I  would  prefer  not  to  use  them  until  there  is  no  other  way  of  using  the  same  canister.

Any  Suggestions  highly  appreciated.

Thanks!

Regards,
 Karthick
abhip29
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:12 pm Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

Perhaps  the  filter  is  not  enough  for  the  size  of  your  tank.

What  fishes  are  there  in  that  tank?

Regards,
 ABHILASH
karthickRAJA
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:18 pm Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

I  guess  1400LPH  is  enough  for  my  tank.  I  have  only  one  juvenile  Banjar  red  arowana  in  them,  planning  to  add  stocks  later.  Still  even  with  this  light  stock,  there  is  so  much  waste  getting  accumulated.  Btw,  filter  is  running  24/7.
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:49 pm Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

Is  it  a  bare  bottom  tank?

If  you  see  lots  of  waste,  then  the  bio-load  of  your  tank  is  pretty  high.  

You  can  tilt  the  spray  bar  to  the  bottom  of  the  tank  so  that  the  dirt  is  moving  towards  to  the  other  end  of  the  tank.  Keep  the  inlet  opposite  to  the  spray  bar.  Once  the  dirt  moves  to  the  other  side,  the  inlet  would  suck  the  waste.

But  first  check  if  the  bio-load  is  more  in  the  tank.
karthickRAJA
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:23 pm Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

josyjames  wrote  (View  Post):                
Is  it  a  bare  bottom  tank?
 If  you  see  lots  of  waste,  then  the  bio-load  of  your  tank  is  pretty  high.  
 You  can  tilt  the  spray  bar  to  the  bottom  of  the  tank  so  that  the  dirt  is  moving  towards  to  the  other  end  of  the  tank.  Keep  the  inlet  opposite  to  the  spray  bar.  Once  the  dirt  moves  to  the  other  side,  the  inlet  would  suck  the  waste.
 But  first  check  if  the  bio-load  is  more  in  the  tank.                

Ya,  its  a  bare  bottom  tank.  I  have  only  one  aro  so  I  think  bio  load  was  not  that  much.  I  have  tried  to  tilt  the  jet  spra  bar  in  numerous  position  still  its  not  able  to  move  the  waste  ,  I  even  removed  the  spray  bar  and  let  it  bare  open  so  that  the  pressure  moves  them  still  no  luck.
Coolguy-Blore
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:59 pm Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

Karthik,

Is  the  inlet  pipe  of  the  filter  close  to  the  bottom  of  the  tank?  

Regards
 Venkat
karthickRAJA
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:12 pm Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

Coolguy-Blore  wrote  (View  Post):                
Karthik,

Is  the  inlet  pipe  of  the  filter  close  to  the  bottom  of  the  tank?  

Regards
 Venkat                

Yup.  Infact  I  dont  understand  why  the  waste  is  not  getting  absorbed  even  though  the  flow  seems  decent.
abhip29
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:56 pm Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

As  per  the  description  on  the  website-

"The  Sun  HW-303B  external  4  stage  canister  filter  is  ideal  for  tanks  up  to  100  gallon.  It  handles  up  to  370  gallons  per  hour."

Your  Tank  holds  510  liters  of  water  as  per  the  dimensions  which  is  approx  134  gallons.  When  it  is  mentioned  upto  100  gallon  the  flow  would  be  optimum  for  a  70  gallon  tank  if  we  take  into  account  of  the  overheads  &  efficiency  of  the  motor.

So,  ideally  the  filter  capacity  isn't  enough  for  your  tank..  You  would  require  2  Sun  HW-303B  for  your  tank   or  an  additional  internal  filter  according  to  me.

Regards,
 ABHILASH
karthickRAJA
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:45 pm Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

abhip29  wrote  (View  Post):                
As  per  the  description  on  the  website-

"The  Sun  HW-303B  external  4  stage  canister  filter  is  ideal  for  tanks  up  to  100  gallon.  It  handles  up  to  370  gallons  per  hour."

Your  Tank  holds  510  liters  of  water  as  per  the  dimensions  which  is  approx  134  gallons.  When  it  is  mentioned  upto  100  gallon  the  flow  would  be  optimum  for  a  70  gallon  tank  if  we  take  into  account  of  the  overheads  &  efficiency  of  the  motor.

So,  ideally  the  filter  capacity  isn't  enough  for  your  tank..  You  would  require  2  Sun  HW-303B  for  your  tank  ¬†or  an  additional  internal  filter  according  to  me.

Regards,
 ABHILASH                

I  understand  that  But  still  I  dont  think  that  solves  the  deposition  of  bottom  waste  problem  given  the  additional  one  can  improve  water  cycling  but  the  flow  remains  more  or  less  same.
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:52 pm Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

When  you  add  one  more  canister  filter,  you  are  having  370Gallon  x  2  times  flow  rate  inside  the  tank.  When  you  have  more  flow  of  water  inside  the  tank,  the  suction  increases.  Thereby  the  dirt  would  be  easily  sucked  up  by  the  canister.

If  you  do  not  have  plan  to  buy  additional  canister,  then  you  can  place  a  small  internal  filter  and  the  flow  directed  to  the  inlet  of  the  canister  pipe.  The  internal  filter  would  increase  the  flow  rate  inside  the  tank.
karthickRAJA
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:33 pm Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

josyjames  wrote  (View  Post):                
If  you  do  not  have  plan  to  buy  additional  canister,  then  you  can  place  a  small  internal  filter  and  the  flow  directed  to  the  inlet  of  the  canister  pipe.  The  internal  filter  would  increase  the  flow  rate  inside  the  tank.                

Thanks  for  the  explanation.  Which  one  suits  best  for  my  needs  :  Wavemaker  or  Powerhead?  still  I  prefer  the  tank  to  be  clear  from  filters/equipment  inside  yet  if  there  is  no  other  solution  then  I  have  to  opt  between  this.
netherwinterknights
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:03 pm Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

get  a  gravel  siphon,  some  good  ones  have  good  suction  to  actually  clean  gravel  without  disturbing  the  fishes  too  much.  Only  thing  is,  you  will  have  to  do  it  manually,  and  it  does  not  work  on  planted  tanks.
Vinod_Uthaiah
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:03 pm Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

I  have  a  bare  bottom  tank  ,  wave  maker  makes  your  life  easier  as  it  moves  the  waste  towards  where  you  wish  to.
 How  frequent  are  your  water  changes  and  how  much  do  you  change  and  do  you  solely  depend  on  filter  for  water  quality.
karthickRAJA
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:09 pm Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

@netherwinterknights  :  You  mean  the  siphon  tube  right,  ofcourse  I  am  using  them  during  WC  to  remove  the  bottom  waste  but  I  need  a  solution  to  keep  the  bottom  clear  permanently.

@vinod  :  I  do  30%  WC  once  in  15  days,  I  know  its  less  still  I  can  manage  only  twice  everymonth  so  you  can  say  I  rely  mostly  on  filter.  BTW,  which  one  is  better  given  the  value  proposition  and  purpose,  do  you  think  the  wavemaker  makes  more  sense  than  powerhead  at  similar  price  point.  If  yes,  please  suggest  a  good  wavemaker  for  my  tank  specs.  

Thanks  for  your  suggestions.
Vinod_Uthaiah
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:55 am Post subject: Re: Need help regarding the bottom waste removal Reply with quote

I  have  a  Aqueon  wave  maker  but  still  does  not  make  my  life  easier.
 I  guess  Eheim  has  some  good  products  ,  never  tried  them  but  should  be  easily  available  online.
 I  siphon  out  right  from  the  bottom  once  in  2  weeks  ,  but  fishes  are  fishes.
 You  can  never  stop  them  for  contributing  to  your  work.
 And  per  your  quote  "  I  need  a  solution  to  keep  the  bottom  clear  permanently  "  -  Impossible.
 Keep  us  posted  on  what  you  decide  and  what  you  did
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Filtration Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: