196. Guest
197. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,752

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs req
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs req
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrithviS
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:39 am Post subject: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs req Reply with quote

Hi
 The  Planning  Stage  for  my  Marine  Aquarium  -  FO  or  FOWLR  .  with  Sump  Setup

Had  2  Locations  in  mind  but  had  to  finalise  on  one  location  near  the  wall  to  maximise  the  size.  Since  I  will  live  in  the  3rd  Floor  wanted  to  keep  the  weight  near  to  the  load  bearing  beams.

Tank  

1.  Size  :  
 48  L  *  24L  *  24L  -  Water  Holding  Capacity  -  450Lit  /  110  USG

Are  the  Tank  Dimensions  OK  for  the  Setup  or  do  I  need  to  make  changes??

2.   Material  
 Glass  -  Have  a  Few  Querys??

Which  Glass  Material  is  best  -  What  is  the  regular  practice  of  our  members??

Based  on  the  enquires  made  with  Glass  vendors  yesterday.  The  rates  are  for  12mm  which  has  a  safety  factor  of  4  for  the  given  size.

Normal  Glass         1XX  INR     
 Advantage  -  Cheapest,  Holes  can  be  drilled  for  plumbing,  When  it  cracks  can  still  hold  water  
 Disdvantage  -  Not  as  strong  as  tempered  glass

Tempered  Glass     2XX  INR
 Advantage  -  Stronger  than  Normal  Glass
 Disadvantage  -  Holes  cannot  be  drilled  after  tempering,  When  small  crack  starts  the  whole  glass  goes  to  pieces.

Extra  Clear  Glass  3XX  INR
 Advantage  -  No  Blue  or  Green  tint  like  normal  glass  Can  be  used  for  the  Front  view  of  the  Tank.

Laminated  Glass   3xx  INR  6mm  Glass  ,  sandwitched  by  laminate  called  safety  glass
 Advantage  -  Does  not  break,  even  when  crack  the  Tank  is  protected,  acts  as  a  better  insulator  than  normal  glass.
 Disadvantage  -  Heavy  and  Light  Distortion  may  occur  and  cannot  dissipate  heat  to  the  surroundings.

Stand  :

Which  type  I  should  go  for??

Options  are  

Steel  with  Plywood  Covering
 Advantage  -  Stronger  
 Disadvantage  -  Will  rust  even  with  proper  protection.

Wood  Frame  with  Plywood  -  Strong  enough  and  Costlier

Only  Plywood  -  I  doubt  will  it  with  stand  the  weight  of  the  tank  and  water  -  
 We  are  looking  at  nearly  800  Kg  of  Weight
 Water  -  450  kgs
 Glass  -  110  kgs
 Susbstrate  -  Atleast  50-60  kgs
 Equipment  inside  the  rack  -  150kgs
 Total  800  Kgs.  Approx

I  shall  stop  with  this  today  -  Based  on  the  inputs  I  will  be  able  to  raise  the  queries  about  the  substrates  ,  Filter  equipment  and  Live  Stock
Murali80
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:19 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

Hi  Prithvi,

Welcome  to  IAH
      I'm  also  new  to  this  forum  and  looking  answers  for  the  questions  you  have  Smile
      Have  a  great  time  here.

Thanks,
 Murali
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:46 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

go  for  normal  12mm  glass  my  tank  is  60*30*24

extra  clear  u  cant  find  much  in  it  better  go  for  normal  12mm  glass

and  for  stand  go  with  steal  and  paint  it  properly  so  that  it  wont  rust  and  place  waterprof  cardboard  top  of  the  steal  stand  .
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:01 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

Viewing  side  go  for  12mm  extra  clear  and  the  rest  can  be  regular  12mm  glass.

You  get  really  thick  Marine  ply  which  you  can  use  to  make  the  main  cabinet  and  use  solid  wiid  in  the  4  corners  and  center  for  support.

If  that  doesnt  fit  in  your  budget  then  your  best  option  is  to  have  wood  on  steel.  Make  sure  the  steel  is  powder  coated  and  not  just  painted  which  will  keep  the  rust  away  better
PrithviS
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:39 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

Guys  Thanks  for  the  Inputs

Finalised  Specs

1.  Tank  Dimensions  -  48L  x  24B  X  24  H  
 2.  Front  and  One  Sides  Ultra  Clear  Glass  and  all  other  sides  normal  Glass
 3.  Solid  Wood  with  Plywood  All  around  matching  my  room  deco.

1.  One  doubt  for  the  tank  ,  Do  I  need  to  have  braces  for  re  enforcement  or  not  and  What  material  should  I  put  inbetween  the  bottom  of  the  tank  and  Solid  Ply  Thermocol  or  Styro  Foam  or  Corrugated  Plastic.
PrithviS
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:46 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

Moving  on  to  the  next  in  the  list

1.  FO  or  FOWLR.  Which  has  advantages  for  having  a  healthy  active  live  stock  .

This  will  decide  my  Filter  Mechanism..  So  waiting  for  the  expert  comments.
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:00 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

PrithviS  wrote  (View  Post):                
Moving  on  to  the  next  in  the  list

1.  FO  or  FOWLR.  Which  has  advantages  for  having  a  healthy  active  live  stock  .

This  will  decide  my  Filter  Mechanism..  So  waiting  for  the  expert  comments.                

FOWLR  is  my  choose  but  u  still  like  to  use  FO  then  go  for  sand  bed  of  3inch  and  hang  ceramic  rings  in  sump  so  that  flow  inbetween  the  ceramic  rings  will  be  good  and  u  may  have  good  bacteria  population.
PrithviS
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:11 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  input  @yajur..  I  would  like  to  go  for  LR  with  some  artificial  corals  (I  know  I  am  not  disciplined  to  grow  one)
 But  the  biggest  question  is  where  to  get  LR  -  if  it  is  cured  it  would  be  great  ...  (its  going  to  cost  a  bomb)  or  I  can  cure  it  (It  requires  patience,  time  and  money)  ...  
 Please  enlighten  -  Guys
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:29 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

PrithviS  wrote  (View  Post):                
Thanks  for  the  input  @yajur..  I  would  like  to  go  for  LR  with  some  artificial  corals  (I  know  I  am  not  disciplined  to  grow  one)
 But  the  biggest  question  is  where  to  get  LR  -  if  it  is  cured  it  would  be  great  ...  (its  going  to  cost  a  bomb)  or  I  can  cure  it  (It  requires  patience,  time  and  money)  ...  
 Please  enlighten  -  Guys                

your  sand  bed  and  your  ceramic  ring  will  act  as  LR  .
Murtazadhanera
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:15 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

Hi,  
 Plan  your  stock  well  as  per  the  space  and  water  bearing  capacity  of  your  tank.  Go  for  calcium  based  substrate,  avoid  silica  sand.  I  guess  its  a  fowlr,  live  rock  content  should  be  1/2  kg  per  4  litres  of  water  if  you  plan  to  stock  heavy.  Sump  design  is  of  utmost  importance  if  you  could  just  make  it  as  same  as  your  tank  would  help  with  more  water  content.  Salt  red  sea  preferable.  Skimmer  go  for  a  cone  one  with  venturi,  if  sourcing  venturi  is  difficult  go  with  needle  wheel.  Personally  I  would  prefer  acrylic  over  glass.  If  glass  12  mm  would  be  suffice  with  eurobracing.  If  you  are  not  confident  you  can  bottom  brace  it  too.  Glass  drill  as  known  as  hole  saw  can  be  bought  locally  with  any  hardware  store.  Overflow  design  go  with  bean  animal  as  you  are  planning  to  drill  holes.  The  diameter  of  holes  would  directly  depend  on  your  return  pump  and  yeah  PVC  too.  Sump  go  with  marine  sock,  DSB,  refugium  and  skimmer  respectively.  If  planning  to  add  LR  in  sump  make  appropriate  arrangement  by  adding  an  extra  compartment.  Go  for  Max  height  sump  would  help  you  with  more  DSB  stock.  But  a  good  wavemaker  I  insist  on  buying  the  one  with  variable  flow  or  wavemode.  Mp40  ain't  a  necessity.  Refugium  go  with  LEDs  red,  blue  and  daylight.  Main  tank  dimable  blue  and  white  10000k  for  bringing  out  colours.  If  you  have  resources  can  build  a  top  up  in  sump.  Ceramic  ring  ain't  a  neccesity  if  you  have  enough  LR  as  stated.  
 My  2  paisa.
 Jot  whatever  came  in  mind,  others  elaborate  if  I  have  missed  something.

UV  is  of  utmost  importance,  would  save  your  fishes  from  them  parasites.  Ro/di  if  you  can  afford.
Murtazadhanera
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:23 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

Stand  go  for  aluminium  extruded  channel  which  come  in  a  variety  of  fitment.  You  can  wrap  it  up  with  plywood.  For  more  detailed  drawings  pm  me.  There  has  been  a  debate  that  aluminium  corrodes  with  saltwater  but  it  seldom  happens.  Folks  anodize  it  but  consider  power  coating  which  will  build  a  good  thought  water  resistance  cover.  People  who  doubt  aluminium  load  bearing  capacity  need  not  to  be  afraid.  Aluminium  extruded  profiles  are  lighter  then  metal,  stronger  then  wood,  sleek,  asthethical,  easy  to  disassemble  and  assemble.  For  load  bearing  capacity  of  500  kg  gross  you  need  to  put  40  x  40  mm  section.
 For  any  sort  of  assistance  in  design  with  actual  simulation  of  load  bearing  capacities  with  data  pm  me.
 Wish  you  all  the  best.
Murtazadhanera
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:33 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

@  mortis
 If  it  is  not  budget  don't  ever  consider  going  marine.
 @  yajur
 How  long  does  a  sand  bed  take  to  be  live,  what  sand  or  substrate  use  is  beneficial?  How  deep  should  be  the  sand  bed  to  work  as  a  live  one!  You  should  state  these  answers  to  guide  fellas  properly.
 4  inch  plus  to  be  a  DSB(deep  sand  bed).
 If  planning  to  keep  show  tank  and  2  inch  bed  then  you  have  to  siphon  it.  If  keeping  DSB  never  ever  siphon  it.  Let  it  be  the  way  it  is  even  though  you  see  some  blackish  rotten  matter  at  front  on  the  glass  in  sand.  Apparently  its  not  rottening  decomposing  matter  but  bacteria  formations.  Disturbing  bed  would  cause  hydrogen  sulphide  with  would  be  harmful.
Murtazadhanera
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:42 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=37516

For  cycling  new  tank,  live  bacteria
Murtazadhanera
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:39 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

I  forgot  to  mention  other  accessories  such  as  flexible  net,  medications,  a  quarantine  or  hospital  tank,  refractometer,  test  kit  liquid  one  for  ammonia,  nitrite  and  nitrate  testing.  Pure  ammonia  as  in  chemical  form  for  activation  of  live  bacteria  or  fishless  cycle.
Murtazadhanera
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:43 pm Post subject: Re: Novice to Marine - Build Log - Planning Stage - Inputs r Reply with quote

For  live  rock
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=37563
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: