67. Guest
68. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,639

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Re: Changed from T5HO to DIY LED(A month update)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Re: Changed from T5HO to DIY LED(A month update)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:17 am Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

mistryde  wrote  (View  Post):                
So  now  you're  using  49  watts  more.   Exactly  my  point.  

Agreed,  WPG  is  just  a  thumb  rule,  not  at  all  accurate.   But  it's  more  commonly  understood  and  OK  for  just  a  rough  reference.

Anyways  how's  the  heat  generation  with  LEDs  vs  the  T5  HO  ?  I  see  your're  using  thermal  paste  and  heat  sink  and  all.                

Heat  generation  is  very  less  compared  to  T5HO,  thermal  paste  and  heat  sink  is  for  the  led's,  you  need  to  use  heat  sink  for  all  high  power  led's,  i  used  window  frame  so  added  a  fan  too.
shyamhegde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:01 pm Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  links  to  LED  and  especially  thermal  epoxy  glue  which  I  had  been  searching  for  a  while  and  was  not  able  to  find  a  source  here.  Arctic  silver  branded  one  works  out  quite  expensive  to  import.

For  some  reason,  I  am  not  able  to  see  the  final  product  pictures.   Have  u  used  any  optics  t  control  the  spread  ?
mistryde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:40 pm Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

Yup  Andrew,  I  noticed  it  today  when  I  got  my  first  LED  fixture.  It  doesn't  heat  at  all.  Using  it  on  my  shrimp  tank.
pxk587
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:09 am Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

Vivian/Deepak,  what  is  your  suggestion  for  my  tank  requirement.  Here  are  the  details,

Tank  Full  Size  (without  water)
 ---------------
 Dimension:                  47(L)*23(W)*24  (H)   
 Volume  of  Tank:      112.31/425.14  -  Gross  Volume

–  actually  my  tank  full  size  from  outside  is  48*24*24,  however  I  have  subtracted  the  
                              2  *  12mm  glass  thickness  from  both  the  sides)

Tank  Full  Size  (with  water)
 ---------------
 Dimension:                  47(L)*23(W)*23  (H)
 Water  filled  Depth:  102.95/389.708  –  Net  Volume  

If  I  calculate  3watts  per  gallon  (high  requirement)  considering  my  net  volume  (102  Gallon)  it  comes  as  follows,

High  power  Blue  LED   -  30  pcs  *  10w  =  300  Wtts
 Blue  LED  ?                       -  5   pcs  *  1w  =  5  Wtts
 Hhigh  power  Red  LED  -  2pcs  *  1w  =  2  Wtts

Total  =  307  Wtts

will  it  be  too  high  for  the  tank?

Thanks,
 Mohan
pxk587
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:28 am Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

Vivian/Deepak,  what  is  your  suggestion  for  my  tank  requirement.  Here  are  the  details,

---------------

–  actually  my  tank  full  size  from  outside  is  48*24*24,  however  I  have  subtracted  the  

Tank  Full  Size  (with  water  -  approximate)
 ---------------

If  I  calculate  3watts  per  gallon  (high  requirement)  considering  my  net  volume  (102  Gallon)  it  comes  as  follows,

Blue  LED                             -  5   pcs  *  1w  =  5  Wtts

Total  =  307  Wtts

Thanks,
 Mohan
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:11 pm Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

Yup  Andrew,  I  noticed  it  today  when  I  got  my  first  LED  fixture.  It  doesn't  heat  at  all.  Using  it  on  my  shrimp  tank.                

Cool  so  which  brand  you  got
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:41 pm Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

shyamhegde  wrote  (View  Post):                
Thanks  for  the  links  to  LED  and  especially  thermal  epoxy  glue  which  I  had  been  searching  for  a  while  and  was  not  able  to  find  a  source  here.  Arctic  silver  branded  one  works  out  quite  expensive  to  import.

For  some  reason,  I  am  not  able  to  see  the  final  product  pictures.   Have  u  used  any  optics  t  control  the  spread  ?                

Kafuter  is  very  good  thermal  adhesive  paste,  once  pasted  with  heatsink  leave  it  for  1-2hrs  for  better  curing  before  that  finalize  your  position  or  it's  gonna  be  really  difficult  to  remove  it,  i  never  used  optics  this  led  got  140  degree  angle  which  is  right  spread  for  my  tank  and  if  you  plan  to  put  optics  go  for  normal  because  optics  will  increase  brightness  and  it's  not  required  for  this  led,  and  also  use  proper  heatsink  i  won't  suggest  window  frame  because  you  need  two  r  three  to  reduce  heating  for  this  led's,  and  when  selecting  heatsink  get  broader  one  like  6inch  and  above  or  attach  two  2inch  heatsink.  And  the  Led  fixture  which  i  made  is  for  testing  so  bought  only  good  leds  and  to  run  that  used  window  frame  and  cpu  smps  for  reducing  price  now  gonna  build  a  new  one  with  proper  heat  sink  and  led  drivers  because  I'm  happy  with  these  setup  and  planned  to  setup  for  my  new  scape  because  my  tank  setup  is  a  year  old  so  planning  to  rip  and  rescape  the  tank  and  will  add  the  new  led  fixture  to  it.  

If  you  planned  to  do  led  fixture  after  a  month  then  order  led  and  driver  from  aliexpress  because  it's  half  the  price  of  ebay  but  will  take  30day  for  shipping  and  you  also  get  cold  white  led  with  10000k  which  is  impossible  to  get  here,  i  planned  to  add  12  10w  6500k  and  4  10000k  5  blue  and  2  red  led  in  my  new  fixture  with  12v  30A  driver  for  white  led  and  3.3  4A  driver  for  blue  and  red,  i  have  already  placed  my  order  below  is  the  link  where  i  ordered.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-RGB-10w-30w-cool-Warm-white-red-blue-green-Led-Chip-light-White-DIY-Lamps/2048446330.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/S-360-fonte-dc-12v-30a-360w-24v-15a-fuente-de-alimentacion-switching-power-source-supply/32228792931.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/15w-MD-15-ac-dc-220v-3-3v-4A-5v-3A-12v-24v-mini-slim-switching/32260191630.html

and  you  got  lot  of  sellers  in  aliexpress  but  hupsun  electric  seller  is  good  for  drivers.

And  if  you  don't  want  to  spend  money  for  driver  then  go  with  SMPS  itself,  but  check  for  Amps  rating  to  drive  the  led  Smile
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:21 pm Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

pxk587  wrote  (View  Post):                

---------------

Tank  Full  Size  (with  water  -  approximate)
 ---------------

Blue  LED                             -  5   pcs  *  1w  =  5  Wtts

Total  =  307  Wtts

Thanks,
 Mohan                

The  thumb  rule  to  calculate  no  of  led  is  (The  area  of  footprint  of  your  tank  /  22)  mainly  used  to  calculate  for  3w  high  power  led,  example  my  tank  is  36  X  18  X  24  so

36  X  18  =  648  sq  inch,  648/22=29.4  so  will  keep  30,  30X3  =90  watt  

for  your  tank

47  X  23  =  1081,  1081/22=  49.1  will  keep  50,  so  50  X  3  =  150  watts,  so  if  you  use  10w  led  you  need  to  get  minimum  15  and  if  you  want  very  hi-light  you  can  add  4-5  led  extra  and  add  a  dimmer  to  control  the  lighting  according  to  your  tank  needs     

i  love  hi-lighting  so  went  with  20  10w  led   Wall Bang  which  was  way  too  bright  for  my  tank,  but  lucky  added  dimmer  to  7led  separate  because  of  doubt  i  had  when  making  the  led,  so  now  i  dimmed  the  7  led  to  zero

for  your  tank  you  can  go  with  12  10W  cool  white,  4  10W  cold  white,  8  1w  blue  and  2  or  3  1w  red  led,  and  there  are  plenty  of  site  to  calculate  your  spectrum,  but  make  sure  to  use  8inch  or  10inch  broad  heat  sink  and  have  two  rows  at  the  end  for  better  spread.

And  please  don't  calculate  wpg  that  is  totally  wrong  you  need  to  calculate  PAR.
PULSARABHI
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:34 pm Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

Amazing  DIY  Vivian  !!  Thanks  so  much  for  the  details   Clapping   Clapping  
 I  have  one  question  though,  are  those  LED's  waterproof?  I  mean  will  they  hold  if  there's  an  accidental  water  splash  say  during  water  changes  and/or  other  maintenance  work?  I  want  to  try  this  next  time  but  this  question  bothers  me,  more  soever  for  nano  tanks.  Please  share  your  experience  :)

I  had  used  COB  DRL  led's  for  one  of  my  nano  planted  tanks  and  the  ebay  seller  I  bought  it  from  claims  them  to  be  "100%  waterproof".  And  they  have  withstood  some  frequent  wetting  (they  are  close  to  an  air-stone  and  are  covered  with  droplets  when  the  lights  come  on  in  the  morning)  but  I  am  not  sure  how  long  they'll  last  Sad
mistryde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:12 pm Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

Andrew  wrote  (View  Post):                

Cool  so  which  brand  you  got                

Arrey  is  just  a  LED  tube  of  9  watts.  I  replaced  the  spiral  CFL  27  watts  with  it  on  my  shrimp  tank.  There  are  only  shrimps  and  Mosses  in  it.  Make  is  Indian  -   Quiz
Eureca
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:46 pm Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

what  is  the  temp  on  the  heat  sink  ,  entire  setup  looks  good
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:02 pm Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

PULSARABHI  wrote  (View  Post):                
Amazing  DIY  Vivian  !!  Thanks  so  much  for  the  details   Clapping   Clapping  
 I  have  one  question  though,  are  those  LED's  waterproof?  I  mean  will  they  hold  if  there's  an  accidental  water  splash  say  during  water  changes  and/or  other  maintenance  work?  I  want  to  try  this  next  time  but  this  question  bothers  me,  more  soever  for  nano  tanks.  Please  share  your  experience  :)

I  had  used  COB  DRL  led's  for  one  of  my  nano  planted  tanks  and  the  ebay  seller  I  bought  it  from  claims  them  to  be  "100%  waterproof".  And  they  have  withstood  some  frequent  wetting  (they  are  close  to  an  air-stone  and  are  covered  with  droplets  when  the  lights  come  on  in  the  morning)  but  I  am  not  sure  how  long  they'll  last  Sad                

Thanks,  i  used  proper  heat  shrink  for  my  connections  and  sometimes  water  splash  on  the  fixture  but  nothing  happened  and  led's  are  water  resistant.  

Eureca  wrote  (View  Post):                

what  is  the  temp  on  the  heat  sink  ,  entire  setup  looks  good

i  also  want  to  check  that  but  don't  have  proper  equipment  to  do,  but  after  4  hours  also  i  can  hold  the  fixture
shyamhegde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:59 pm Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

At  my  office  network,  pictures  never  got  displayed,  now  i  see  from  home  connection.  
 Excellent  work  and  really  appreciate  sharing  the  details  including  source  and  cost.  That  makes  it  true  DIY  !
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:14 pm Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to LED(DIY) Reply with quote

shyamhegde  wrote  (View  Post):                
At  my  office  network,  pictures  never  got  displayed,  now  i  see  from  home  connection.  
 Excellent  work  and  really  appreciate  sharing  the  details  including  source  and  cost.  That  makes  it  true  DIY  !                

Welcome  Smile
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:15 pm Post subject: Re: Changed from T5HO to DIY LED(10 Days update) Reply with quote

Hi  All,

It's  been  ten  days  i  switched  to  led  all  going  smooth  no  difference  in  growth,  but  I'm  using  only  13  led's  and  balance  7  i  dimmed  to  zero  because  20  led's  is  too  much  anyhow  now  I'm  satisfied  with  this  setup  planned  to  redo  the  fixture  with  13  led  with  proper  heatsink  and  driver.  Below  are  some  pic

In  the  below  pic  you  can  see  i  dimmed  the  middle.

you  can  see  the  dimmed  row  in  the  water  reflection

FTS

Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: