65. Guest
66. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,857

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Bacteria Bloom on a water change
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Bacteria Bloom on a water change

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:57 am Post subject: Bacteria Bloom on a water change Reply with quote

Hi,
   I  have  observed  a  strange  phenomenon,  I  do  a  30-40%  water  change  once  a  week  on  my  4'  planted  tank,  What  i  am  observing  over  past  few  weeks  is  that,  Immediately  after  i  do  a  water  change  the  water  in  the  tank  becomes  cloudy  which  i  feel  is  Bacteria  bloom,  Not  sure  what  is  causing  this.  This  persists  for  2  days  and  water  then  becomes  crystal  clear.  But  the  look  of  the  tank  on  those  2  days  diminishes  a  lot.

Water  parameters  do  not  swing  at  all  over  the  week.  PH  is  stable  on  the  7.5  side,  ammonia  nitrate  and  nitrite  are  pretty  much  under  control.  I  am  Dosing  PMDD  as  per  Chuck  Gadd's  site.

No  I  did  not  touch  the  gravel  or  the  external  canister  filter,  which  i  thought  to  be  the  culprit  and  still  found  the  problem.

These  is  no  alge,  Not  even  a  hint  of  them.....  I  have  70%  of  the  tank  planted.
 I  have  4  2'  Philips  Truelight  at  yellow  and  white  shades.

Recommendations  changes  welcome..........  Not  sure  what  am  i  doing  wrong.

Pretty  much  sure  that  i  am  not  over  dosing  PMDD.

-Raghu
arupnandi1969
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:31 am Post subject: Re: Bacteria Bloom on a water change Reply with quote

On  a  slightly  different  note  -  why  is  cloudiness  associated  only  with  "Bacteria   bloom"  -  in  my  opinion,  if  the  cloudiness  appears  upon  water  addition,  it  may  indicate  that  bacteria  and  other  suspended  organic  or  inorganic  matter,  which  was  resting  at  the  bottom  is  simply  being  churned  up.......because,  if  it  were  a  bacterial  bloom,  it'd  take  at  least  a  few  hours  for  the  bacteria  to  bloom  enough  to  cloud  the  entire  water.  A  smart  test  would  be  to  take  out  40%  of  the  water  and  put  the  same  water  back  into  the  aquarium.  Onset  of  turbidity  will  strongly  suggest  that  the  suspended  bacteria/sludge/whatever  is  being  churned  up  -  and  it  isn't  a  bacterial  bloom.

Also,  typical  bacteria  are  smaller  than  a  micron  in  diameter  and  more  often  than  ever,  cloudiness  will  require  a  good  many  number  of  bacteria  before  it  becomes  evident.

I  could  be  wrong  altogether  though.

Arup
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:48 am Post subject: Re: Bacteria Bloom on a water change Reply with quote

HI  Arup,
   Even   i  was  suspecting  the  displaced  organic  matter,  And  hence  introduced  the  water  at  a  very  slow  rate  this  time  so  that  it  does  not  disturb  the  gravel  /  bottom.
 Note  that  the  water  turbidity  was  controlled  by  introducing  the  water  through  external  cannister  filter  with  water  inlet  of  filter  placed  in  the  bucket  and  outlet  to  the  tank.  Took  me  an  hour  to  change  water  this  way  so  that  bottom  of  the  tank  does  not  get  disturbed.

I  saw  the  Cloudiness  after  may  be  2  Hrs  of  changing  the  water.
   I  recall  form  some  site  that   this  is  a  symptom  of  bacteria  bloom  not  sure  from  which  site  was  this  from.  I  suppose  this  is  indeed  Bloom  of  bacteria.  But  would  wait  for  opinions  to  finally  conclude.

The  strange  thing  is  the  Alge  which  is  not  propping  up,  Which  could  have  been  an  indiaction  os  overdosing  nuteriants.

If  it  is  a  bacteria  bloom  can  you  please  let  me  know  how  dangerous  is  this.....  I   am  assuming  that  ammonia  and  its  brothers  can  spike  up.  Will  keep  checking  the  parameters.

Also  note  that  my  plants  are  not  worried  about  these,  I  see  them  perling  have  good  amount  of  Christian  moss  and  java  moss  growing.  Have  Different  varities  of  anubias  just  perling  crazy.  Also  saw  Java  fern  grow.

Not  sure  about  2  varieties  of  other  plants  that  i  picked  up  a  couple  of  weeks  ago  which  are  also  perling.

-Raghu
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:51 am Post subject: Re: Bacteria Bloom on a water change Reply with quote

Hi
 This  is  a  bacteria  bloom  and  not  suspended  impurities.  
 After  a  water  change  there  are  debris  in  water  but  they  settle  within  2-3  hour  or  so.
 This  is  often  seen  in  a  new  cycling  tank,  and  will  disapper  once  tank  is  established.
 You  said  ammonia,  nitrites  &  nitrates  under  control,  I  presume  they  are  ammonia=0,  nitrites=0,  nitrates<20.
 This  cloudiness  is  nothing  to  worry  about  and  will  not  harm  anything.
 A  30-40%  water  change  in  a  fertilized  tank  might  be  too  much,  plants  will  not  be  able  to  absorb  nutrients  and  you  might  be  throwing  out  all  nutrients.  i  think  you  can  cut  it  down  to  10-20%
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:22 pm Post subject: Re: Bacteria Bloom on a water change Reply with quote

The  water  supply  to  Bangalore  is  murky,  this  starts  every  year  in  July  like  clock  work.  .  There  is  no  bacteria  bloom.  This  is  a  yearly  phenomenon  that  lasts  until  September  or  so  every  year  due  to  heavy  monsoon  rains.

It  is  not  so  bad  this  year,  usually  the  murkyness  lasts  for  2  days  after  a  water  change.
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:30 pm Post subject: Re: Bacteria Bloom on a water change Reply with quote

HI  Sandeep,
   Yeh!!!  The  readings  are  Ammonia  0,  Big  brother  of  Ammonia  Nitrate  0  and  smaller  brother  of  Ammonia   Nitrite  at  5  this  was  before  water  change.

Will  try  out  10-20%  water  change  from  next  week,  But  the  recommendation  from  PMDD  Gurus  was  30-50%,  Might  be  different  for  different  tanks.....

Madan,  
    Can  you  let  me  know  whats  a  murky  water????  Is  this  just  dirt  or  some  thing  dissolved  in  it  which  causes  this  greyish  colouration.
    Since  Bangalore  has  still  not  started  receiving  monsoon  rains,  Do  you  still  feel  the  water  still  being  the  culprit.

Raghu
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:47 pm Post subject: Re: Bacteria Bloom on a water change Reply with quote

rgg  wrote  (View  Post):                
HI  Sandeep,
   ├é┬áNitrite  at  5  this  was  before  water  change.
 Raghu                

On  a  side  note
 For  a  planted  tank,  nitrates  at  5  is  on  a  lower  side.  
 Please  check  with  others,  your  plants  might  be  having  nitrate  deficency.  However  I  am  not  very  sure  on  this.
 I  maintain  nitrates  at  10  in  my  planted  tanks.
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:26 pm Post subject: Re: Bacteria Bloom on a water change Reply with quote

Sandeep,
   I  am  gradually  increasing  (will  increase  over  3  moths)  the  dosage  and  hence  they  are  in  the  lower  side,  Even  otherwise  these  should  be  at  suffitient  levels  for  plants  to  thrive  i  believe.  Also  my  weekly  water  cahnge  of  40%  should  have  limited  their  levels.

-Raghu
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:12 pm Post subject: Re: Bacteria Bloom on a water change Reply with quote

it  could  also  be  some  kind  of  precepitation  due  to  some  kind  of  miss  match  in  water,  Check  the  PH  of  tap  water  and  tank  water.
 If  you  are  using  bore  well  water,  the  cloudyness  could  be  because  of  high  TDS
pennyilurm
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:15 pm Post subject: Re: Bacteria Bloom on a water change Reply with quote

Hello

I  think  there  is  nothing  to  worry  as  Madan  says.  It  is  quite  common  during  this  time  of  the  year.
 I  did  water  change  this  morning  and  have  the  same  issue.  The  cloudiness  will  go  off  in  24  hrs  depending  on  your  filteration  etc...

Niranjan
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:34 am Post subject: Re: Bacteria Bloom on a water change Reply with quote

Hi  Rahul,
   Whats  TDS????
 PH  beofre  and  after  water  change  is  stable  and  constant  at  7.5  mark.

-Raghu
akg007
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:44 pm Post subject: Re: Bacteria Bloom on a water change Reply with quote

I  have  the  same  problem!  Everytime  I  do  a  20%  water  change  in  my  100  gallon  tank,  it  turns  cloudy  and  takes  a  day  or  two  to  clear.  But  it  does  not  harm  my  fish  or  plants  in  any  manner.  The  only  reason  this  may  be  happening  is  because  the  tank  is  new,  just  1.5  months  old  and  is  not  yet  established.  When  I  do  a  water  change  in  my  55  gallon  tank  which  is  around  8  months  old  and  pretty  well  established,  this  NEVER  happens.  I  have  not  had  cloudy  water  in  that  tank  as  it  is  now  quite  old.  So,  give  it  a  few  months,  and  you  should  see  this  happening  very  often.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:03 pm Post subject: Re: Bacteria Bloom on a water change Reply with quote

http://www.tdsmeter.com/abouttds.html
 http://www.tdsmeter.com/abouttds_aquaculture.html
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: